Menu

Happy Left-Handed Day

I'm a firstborn lefty. I have two lefties: firstborn and fifthborn. I'm a bit more ambidextrous, doing some things with my left (writing) and some with my right (scissors), but able to do some things with either or (particularly in sports where you usually have people that do things only right or only left handed). My lefties are both fully southpaw, especially the younger one.

I *heart* lefties! I have always been fascinated by people who are left-handed! We're talking, since way back in grade K! I can tell you who in my classes were lefties! Weird, huh? (I'm not one, btw.)

DD is left-handed. We noticed it when she was 6 months old. She would reach across her body to pick up an object w/ her left hand instead of just getting it w/ her right hand. :) I'll tell dd. She has as lefties' calendar, but I think she's behind in reading it. She'll be happy to know it's her day.

Happy Left-Handed Day!

I love that list, Nakia!

My younger son is left handed, and my dad used to tease him about it :glare:. He'd refer to Hunter as the Wrong-Handed Kid. It really bothered Hunter, so we've been working on making sure he knows that his left handedness is a good thing.

We started making a list of all the lefties we know personally.

Last summer we were at a charity golf tournament and Hunter had the opportunity to meet Vida Blue. Mr. Blue found out that Hunter is a left-handed pitcher in Little League, and he autographed his picture to Hunter, "Left is right!"

Hunter was so happy!

This summer we saw Vida Blue at the same tournament and he remembered my little guy. He said, "Don't you forget! Left is right!"

:D Hooray for Lefties!

I love that list, Nakia!

My younger son is left handed, and my dad used to tease him about it :glare:. He'd refer to Hunter as the Wrong-Handed Kid. It really bothered Hunter, so we've been working on making sure he knows that his left handedness is a good thing.

We started making a list of all the lefties we know personally.

Last summer we were at a charity golf tournament and Hunter had the opportunity to meet Vida Blue. Mr. Blue found out that Hunter is a left-handed pitcher in Little League, and he autographed his picture to Hunter, "Left is right!"

Hunter was so happy!

This summer we saw Vida Blue at the same tournament and he remembered my little guy. He said, "Don't you forget! Left is right!"

:D Hooray for Lefties!

That is an awesome story!!

I'm am lefty (first-born) and so are 2 of our DC!

DS (oldest) and DD (third).

DS and I were hoping that the little guy would turn out to be "one of us," ;) but he's a righty. If he'd been a lefty, we'd have dominated! As it is, our family is split 50-50. I think my DH was actually getting nervous about it, as he claims that the lefties are more "intense" than the righties around here. (He's actually right about this, but I'll never say it out loud...:lol:)

So, for those of you who have a child that is a leftie, was it very obvious early on? Like a pp, my daughter was so clearly a leftie from about 5-6 months when she would reach for everything with her left hand. I would try putting something in her right hand, and she would refuse and then take it in her left hand. If I could get her to take it in her right, she would switch it. It was really amazing. I kept telling people she was a leftie, and everyone would say it was too early to tell. :001_smile:

Both of my grandfathers are left-handed. It's interesting that it skipped two generations on my side. None of my siblings or cousins on left-handed, and Anna is the only great-grandchild that is a southpaw. She is a special girl. :)

So, for those of you who have a child that is a leftie, was it very obvious early on?

Yes. My dad, also a lefty, used to tell me to make her stop because being a lefty was harder. Like "making" her into a righty wouldn't have been hard (on her). :confused:

Yes. My dad, also a lefty, used to tell me to make her stop because being a lefty was harder. Like "making" her into a righty wouldn't have been hard (on her). :confused:

Both of my grandfathers were made to write right-handed in school. I'm so glad times have changed!

So, for those of you who have a child that is a leftie, was it very obvious early on? Like a pp, my daughter was so clearly a leftie from about 5-6 months when she would reach for everything with her left hand. I would try putting something in her right hand, and she would refuse and then take it in her left hand. If I could get her to take it in her right, she would switch it. It was really amazing. I kept telling people she was a leftie, and everyone would say it was too early to tell. :001_smile:

Both of my grandfathers are left-handed. It's interesting that it skipped two generations on my side. None of my siblings or cousins on left-handed, and Anna is the only great-grandchild that is a southpaw. She is a special girl. :)

My 16yo was a leftie from day one. Right from the earliest developmental stages she had a clear preference. Then I think I remember Mia being fairly clear, at least from the time she began to feed herself. Sarah is a left handed batter and he throws and kicks on her left side, so I count her a left hander even though she writes with her right. She tended to switch a lot as a baby. Keira started out grabbing things with her left, switched to her right when she began feeding herself, but now that she's scribbling she switches from left to right while eating or drawing. I can't figure her out.

Firstborn on which side? Firstborn from the mother, or the father, I wonder? That's really interesting!

My dad came from a family of 5. The 5th was a lefty.

#2 (righty) had 3 boys - the 3rd was a lefty.

#5 (lefty) had 3 children - the 3rd was a lefty.

My dad (#3 & a righty) had one child - I'm a lefty.

I had 3 children - the 3rd is a lefty.

So, in our family - it seems the LASTborn children are always the lefties! :lol:

Both of my grandfathers were made to write right-handed in school. I'm so glad times have changed!

My great-aunt is a lefty and when she was in school the teachers tried to changer her, my great-grandparents went down there and gave them what for, allowing her to stay a lefty. My cousin and I are the lefties in the family and both first borns. I'm more ambidextrious though where as he is strictly left--I still can't cut with my left hand to save my life! My kids write right, but have left-handed tendencies. I'm hoping they'll both be more ambidextrious.

I'm always amazed at the number of prominant left-handers out there. I think all but one of the past five or more presidents is left-handed!

My daughter is a lefty (second in birth order) and my youngest son is showing signs of left dominance. I'm a righty, dh is a righty. I don't know many people in my family that are lefties, I'll have to ask now that I'm curious! :)