Menu

What curriculum gems did you find this year?

FriedClams

Every year I seem to find a few gems that my kids and I just LOVE. For example, last year we used Sonlight Coke K and our gems were: Engermier's Story Bible and most of the read alouds (a few were not - but I'd say 85%). This year we used My Father's World Adventures and our gems were: American Pioneers and Patriots (from CLP), Rod and Staff Bible readers 2 (great for reading, comprehension and Bible all in one subject), United Streaming and HWT cursive (for my sloppy-writing left-handed 6 year old who can now write cursive). So I am wondering - what grade level were you working through and what were your gems from this past year?

I can't say that we found very many. :glare: *I* loved MOH but the dc did not. MFW K might be the only real gem although we haven't really worked through it much yet b/c of the baby coming. Can't wait to actually work through it w/ ds5. Saxon Math is working well for 2 of my dc and I'm pleased w/ that. A Reason for Handwriting seems to be a favorite amongst all my dc....they choose that as their favorite "subject" and even my dd11 (who really doesn't need any more cursive "instruction") asked for the next book! Hmm...

I did, however, find some "gems" (or at least what *I* think will be gems!" for the remainder of the year/next year. Apologia Elem. Science...can't wait to start Flying Creatures. LLATL for the summer (our trial run) and next year. AAS and Simply Spelling...keeping my fingers crossed that at least ONE of those programs will work for my struggling spellers. MFW ECC...I'm excited to give it a whirl even though geography didn't go over well this past year (we did a few wks of US Geog. and then quit!). Oh, and WT...looks like the "too good to be true" curriculum. Sure hope it is as good as it looks! Finally, FLL3. Hoping next year's choices work better for us than this year.

Most of mine are what most of you already use, but we are still new and this has been a great year for finding great finds for us.

*Rightstart math

*The history of US

*Home science Adventures

*Sequential spelling

*The exciting world of Creative writing

Well, last year our great find was Rod & Staff Eng/Grammar. My kids love it! That's great, cuuz we were struggling before!

This year it was TT Math. Same story. Love it!

We also found the Geo Matters site, and have procured some Geography stuff for next year. My kids already love geography, so I'm hoping this is a hit. It looks good to me!

Themes to Remember and Galore Park English Prep, both new to us this year.

More generally, we did history this year through a home-made reading-heavy approach. I just found lots and lots of good books--historical novels, biographies, non-fiction--put them in chronological order and added readings from a couple of reference-type books and a few copies of Learning Through History had him start reading. It's worked out really, really well, and we plan to continue with more or less the same approach for next year.

Here, for a 5th grader: Singapore Science MFH (doing 6th grade level)

and Teaching Textbooks (also 6th grade). I took her back out of public school mid-year, so rather then re-start 5th grade materials (since what the school was using was worthless for this kid) I jumped her in some subjects into 6th grade (ok, ok - we all know by now that TT is behind a year, so 6th grade tt is really 5th grade work. Just don't tell my dd - she is thrilled to be "ahead").

My gems are an unexpected art teacher that we picked up for 8 weeks and liked so much we've continued with her all year, and

SOTW IV - can you believe it? I did NOT want to do modern history. I have resisted this for SO long (ignored it with my older son). It's been great! Along with that we've read a ton of living books that go along with the modern time period that have also been great and that were previously unknown to me.

BJU Science 5 - 3rd edition, the whole shebang (tests, activity manual and TE's). :thumbup: This was our first step into textbook science and we love it. We won't finish it before the year is up, so we'll continue next year and Science 6 is on the shelf. :thumbup1:

We can't use HomeSat (missionaries overseas), but splurged on some BJU HomeSat DVD classes.

We were able to get a whole year's worth of subjects at the secondary level (Core: Math, Science, Wtg/Grammar & Lit, History, plus Bible and FL).

Of those subjects, the best have been the 9th grade Physical World Science (which I expected) and the 7th grade Explorations in Literature (a great surprise). I didn't use the Wtg/Grammar portion of the English class (preferred what we were doing, but it comes packaged with the Lit).

I plan to continue with BJU's Science and Lit classes all through high school. The literature classes are 1 semester long and will allow intermittent "whole book" studies--as a math/science person, I'm thrilled to have this subject of literature nailed down....

but we (my 13yo and I) have actually stuck with Latin Prep 1 and I do think it's the best new thing we've used this year.

Another find for him has been the Hakim Story of Science. We're both loving it. We're using it for narration/summary writing, and he's actually willing to do it which is a miracle since he's such a reluctant writer!

He also likes Singapore's NSM math - I'm not so sure about it because he's struggled with how much more challenging it is, but as long as he's willing to do it I'm not complaining. He still says he likes math so that's good enough for me.

My 9yo is doing well with L'Art de Lire for French. She's also excited with math again because I've just switched her back to CSMP - it's a free program with lots of games and it includes visual elements and a lot of logic, both of which appeal to her. She's been hating math and I'm surprised that it took me this long to figure out what I needed to switch her to. (I still plan to supplement with SM next year, but this looks like it will be her core curriculum).

Oh, and we started the Dandylion logic books this year and they've been a big hit too.

Nikita

Singapore Challenging Word Problems are probably the best thing ever. When I started using them with my dd, it was as a supplement. Now, I think that it are probably the base of my math program.

BJU math (the new edition) is great for us for math. IT has the right amount of problems. It teaches the concepts in small bits and builds on it. By the time she gets to a "hard" concept, she already understands it. She has been feeling very successful since we started this.

Startwrite is great for us. My dd likes to switch handwriting styles. She also likes variety in her copywork. Some weeks we copy recipes, some weeks it is sentences from what we are studying, sometimes it is poetry or passages from favorite stories. It has made copywork do able for us.

Our gem was BJU homesat English, science and math 6. For the first time ever, I was able to educate all three children in math, grammar, writing and science and we are actually going to finish our classes in time for a summer break. Yeah!

Our old favorites that we have been using for many years are the Pathway readers and Right Start math.

It has been great reading everyone's responses!

We found a few things that worked out really well for us this year:

Headsprout Beginning Reading was a great early reading program for my kids. It has 80 colorful online lessons that they enjoyed quite a bit. They liked the little storylines, adding stickers to their maps, and getting new reading booklets every few lessons, as well as printing out more readers whenever they wanted. We had been making no progress with any of our other phonics programs with one of my twins. (The other twin would have been fine with any program, I think.) Now they are finally both off to a good start! (And I'm trying to figure out where to go next, lol!)

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding is a new k-2 science curriculum that I am just loving, as I mentioned on the board the other day. (My full review is here.)

We started it 2nd semester, and my kids are really blossoming with it!

And, my old favorite that we've been using 2 years and I wouldn't dream of changing (which is saying a lot for a curriculum junkie like myself) is: RightStart Math. We are almost finished with Level B, and I can't believe how much math my kids have suddenly learned in the past couple of months. I am thrilled. (My husband, who is an accountant, is less thrilled. He doesn't particularly want to raise more little accountants, but I have assured him that a CPA is not the only career option for people who "get" math!)

For my K3 Bright Beginnings and Picturebook Preschool. Bible Stories to Read(R&S), Storytime with the Millers

We start our school year in January so for K4

Preschool Plus ( Hewitt Homeschooling)

Living Learning Books Science 1

How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Hubbard's Cupboard for Bible and Character

Our gems this year are: IEW's Ancient History Based Writing Lessons, Daily Geography Practice by Evan-Moor, and Flashkids Spelling.

New curricula I am excited about for next year are: The Art of Argument, Writing With Ease, and Teaching Textbooks Math.

While none of these are hot off the presses, I was pleasantly surprised by how much my oldest has liked Winston Grammar.

The younger two insist that the Scaredy Cat Reading System is not school. (Expensive, but has been hugely helpful to me.)

A couple others we've just started that are working very well: Right Start Math Games and Donna Ward's Africa: A Land of Hope study.

The kids still love the Story of the World series and R.E.A.L. Science, too.

I'm very happy with Biblioplan. It has really filled a need that I had for a multi-age, flexible, history-only curriculum that schedules plenty of literature with a full integration of Biblical and World History. We just started it this spring but it's been a strong start. We jumped right in and we're enjoying it. I love the three-day schedule, the spines, and the other books.

Another new thing that we are trying is Understanding Writing. It is enormous and I'm still trying to get a feel for it. I'm not sure if it's the approach that I want to take long term or not. I think if I knew someone who has used it for awhile who could assist me in getting the "big picture", I'd feel more confident with implementing it. We have started it and honestly, I haven't gotten even one groan out of my oldest son! I really like how it focuses on written communication... not as an academic pursuit but as a way to serve other people through beautiful writing. It's just a bit esoteric and I need more time to bond with it, I think! So, I'll list this a potential gem. I certainly like everything I'm seeing in it so far. Just wish I knew some other users!

Our gems for this year are:

Galore Park's Latin Prep (I FINALLY found a Latin program I want to do!)

Lively Latin (Forest is doing Latin Prep, Daisy is doing Lively Latin)

Singapore Math (Have used this in the past, switched programs, but keep going back to it!)

Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers Colonial Life Unit Study (we made an AWESOME lapbook with this!)

IEW -- not new but new to us. I had avoided this curriculum for so long because of preconceived notions I had. I've been pleasantly surprised. IEW was well-implemented this year by two co-op teachers after we completed the SWI at home this summer. I actually think our writing success was a combination of IEW and writing every week, usually every day. It freed me from having to come up with my own assignments tailored to our science, history, literature.

Lisa