Menu

What's good on instant view?

I liked Julia and Julie. (or is it the other way around)

Made me want to cook like the French.

I liked Julia (I should have fast forwarded through Julie.)

I read My Life in France because the movie inspired me. Excellent book.

We've been watching Chased By Dinos. It is a BBC mockumentary about a scientist - Nigel Marven? - who goes back in time using a time machine and uses modern technology to study dinos. The CGI is awesome.

:iagree::iagree: We're really enjoying this also. Others are Blue Planet, old episodes of The Office, the kids are enjoying Cyberchase, Sid the Science Kid, Meercat Manor, and way too much Nick Jr (original Blues Clues, Backyardigans, Diego):001_smile:

I like almost all the suggestions!

We don't have cable, so we've enjoyed Cake Boss and (guilty, guilty pleasure) Say Yes to The Dress.

We liked the BBC Robin Hood series--but it's an acquired taste--full of anachronisms and "modern sensibilities." Fun, tho.

We really like King of The Hill.

We have a bunch of movies in our instant queue, but I don't have access right now.

Adams Apples - Danish movie

As it is in Heaven - Swedish movie

Behind the Lines - WWI movie about S. Sasson and Wilfred Owen

Ladies in Lavender - Maggie Smith and Judy Dench

Amelie - French movie

The Diary of Anne Frank - New BBC production

We just watched the BBC mini-series Day of the Triffids. It isn't the old 60's one. The BBC made this one in 1981. The description: A brilliant meteor shower blinds most of the population, making them vulnerable to attack by triffids: ambulatory, carnivorous plants accidentally freed from a lab. Still able to see, Bill Masen (John Duttine) and Jo Payton (Emma Relph) team up to fight the menace. As they discover more sighted survivors, they find that civilization is crumbling around them from the triffid attack. This chilling BBC miniseries is based on John Wyndham's book.

We also recently watched the musical version of The Little Shop of Horrors. It is so funny. I love Steve Martin as the dentist!

We were doing an mini-unit study on odd or unusual plants in our Hogwarts Summer School so these films were fun add-ins. Both are instant views on Netflix. :)

I just recently watched "The Thin Blue Line" (a crime documentary), and it was very interesting, though the investigation facts make it sooo frustrating!

"Frontline: Storm Over Everest" and "Cold Case Files: The Most Infamous Cases" were both very interesting to listen to while doing the dishes.

After listening to the "Storm Over Everest" documentary, I watched all the available seasons of "Everest: Beyond the Limit". My 6-year-old daughter would ask what was I watching, then comment, "You're watching that mountain climbing show AGAIN?" :D

My dh and I just watched "2012" (with John Cusack) the other day, and it was pretty good.

I haven't watched "The Ghost and the Darkness" in a long time, but I love that movie, and it's currently available in the instant queue.

The kids enjoyed watching "Delgo" last night, and they've also recently watched "Monsters, Inc." and "Jumanji".

Great thread! :lurk5:

Edited by oasis

several MST3K episodes (including one of my all-time favorites, "Night of the Blood Beast"

Escape to Chimp Eden

Emergency (the 70s TV series)

Adam-12 (ditto)

Jeff Corwin Experience

The Case for Christ

Doctor Who

Leave it to Beaver

In our queue, but haven't watched yet:

Diary of Anne Frank

Merlin

Molokai

Sister Wendy collection

Terry Jones: Medieval Lives

Stomp Live

I watched a couple episodes of "Ballykissangel", and it's pretty good (not for littles, though).

Wendi

Firefly

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Everest - Beyond the Limit

Pink Panther

Wonderpets (THIS IS SEWIOUS!!)

MST3000

PBS's Hoover and the Great Depression (wait, or is that today's news?:D)

Extreme Engineering

Rudy

:iagree: i've been treadmilling my way through buffy the vampire slayer

very fun, and many miles to go!

We've been watching Chased By Dinos. It is a BBC mockumentary about a scientist - Nigel Marven? - who goes back in time using a time machine and uses modern technology to study dinos. The CGI is awesome.

Thanks so much for this suggestion. I added it this morning and my boys were captivated. :D

Man vs Food

Love this show. :)

Can I ask a silly Netflix question? When I go to their website and browse selections, is this only a small listing of what is available? If I were to join, would I then have a larger listing of dvds and instant viewing?

So sorry to hijack...I've been wanting to ask this question somewhere and you all are obviously netflix users & know a lot more about it than I do!

Can I ask a silly Netflix question? When I go to their website and browse selections, is this only a small listing of what is available? If I were to join, would I then have a larger listing of dvds and instant viewing?
Netflix has about 100,000 titles in DVDs and fewer than 20,000 Instant View titles, counting Starz Play (no extra charge... it's a deal they have with Starz to show stream new titles). Some studios refuse to participate in Instant Play, but I'll wager more will get on board given enough time. Netflix's user interface has always been, well, less than stellar. ;) I'd pay for a 3rd party interface that gives me better search options. However, the selection and Instant View make up for it.

Sometimes titles will drop off the DVD listings, typically when new editions are about to be released and when they have too few copies of OOP DVD's to reasonably circulate.

These are some I remember enjoying.

North & South

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Arranged

One Night with the King

Ballet Shoes

Wives and Daughters

Driving Miss Daisy

Gracie

I am Sam

Sense and Sensibility

Bright Star