Menu

Poll: Standardized Testing

"Helping" your child through standardized testing?  

1. 1. "Helping" your child through standardized testing?

• I'd "help" a little as described in "Choice 1" in the original post.
    • I'd do it for them as described in "Choice 2" in the original post.
    • I would not bend the rules at all as described in "Choice 3" in the original post.
    • Other.

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, you have a child who gets easily distressed/upset/stressed out etc over standardized testing. Which of the following might apply to you if that were the case?

Choice 1: I would help my kid through the testing a little bit if need be, even though it's 'against the rules,' because I don't like/agree with standardized testing anyhow and I don't want my child stressed out over it. As in doing things along the lines of: Not enforcing a strict time limit even when I'm supposed to. Explaining a problem better if your child doesn't understand what is meant just by reading the problem. Reminding your child that s/he does know how to do that particular problem, i.e., "remember, you're supposed to do X to figure out that problem," testing the child myself even if another adult was supposed to do it, if my doing it made my child more comfortable. Etc.

Choice 2: Heck, I'd do it for them/tell them the answers, because I dislike/disagree with standardized testing that much. Why should I put them through such stress for something so ridiculous. Who's gonna know anyway?

Choice 3: I would not do anything to bend the rules. (It's a given that you'd do what you could to help your child get through testing with as little stress as possible in whatever ways you "legally" could, but not by going so far as to bend any rules).

Choice 4: Other. Explain?

...Feel free to answer anonymously, or discuss your answer. But please don't bash other people because of what they say.

----

I post this poll because the other day, someone posted a thread about how her child was really stressed out by standardized testing. I commented that no-one would even know if she were to "help her daughter out" with it, especially since she wasn't even required to turn the results in, and since I don't like/agree with standardized testing anyhow. I was thinking along the lines of "Choice 1." Which I admit I wouldn't be totally above. Hypothetically. :D A couple of people seemed put off by my response. That's fine. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and we'll all do what we think is best for our children in the end.

In actuality, it doesn't even apply to me because I gave my daughter the CAT from Seton at the end of last year (not a required year for us, I did it just to see how it would go since NEXT year is a required year, but I kept it very casual and asked her if she WANTED to take it and told her it was really just for fun, and she was fine with that and thought the test WAS fun for the most part.) So in our case, she doesn't mind taking the test and doesn't get all upset or stressed out by it.

But I'm just curious what peoples' line of thinking would be if they did have a child who really didn't handle standardized testing well.

Again, feel free to disagree with how someone else might handle things, but please don't get ridiculously judgmental in your responses. This is just for curiosity's sake. :)

I administer the ITBS for grades 3-8 for our local homeschool group every year. I work really hard to make it as stress-free and enjoyable for the kids as I can. The other moms and I try to be encouraging, talk kids through any fear or frustration, and offer any allowable help along the way. I get kids laughing and moving between sections, etc, etc.

But if home school parents or test administrators bend the rules, we risk losing the ability to administer tests to our own kids at all. We sign statements that we will abide by the rules (at least for tests currently in use -- as far as I know, the CAT available to homeschoolers is an older edition and the rules may be more lax than with the ITBS or Stanford)... I would hate it if home schooled kids *had* to take tests through their local public schools because home schoolers had squandered the privilege of using these tests ourselves.

I also think that for *most* kids, testing can be a useful and positive experience. I have only had one child in my years of testing that I thought should NOT be there participating in the test. I felt that child's learning issues were far, far too severe for the situation we had available and should have been taking a completely different type of test with an educational psychologist. But I wish that child had. They needed a lot more help than the parent was willing to even consider giving, and it was a sad situation. ... In all other cases, even kids who were a little overwhelmed or frightened were able to have an ultimately positive experience and their parents either confirmed what they already knew or were given some additional information about their kids as learners.

I voted "Other".

In our state, the test must be administered by an impartial tester. Parents cannot give the test.

If giving the test myself, I'd likely follow the test rules strictly. The test rules exist to give the best possible comparison to the sample group upon which the norm-referenced (percentile) scores are based. Otherwise the information is simply not useful at all, other than providing a number to turn in to the state. I don't give a lot of weight to standardized test scores because I think the information they offer is limited, so getting the "best" score isn't important to me anyway. As long as my children score well enough that I can keep homeschooling, the number doesn't matter to me.

Keep in mind, though, that it's easy for me to say the above because my kids test very well. (The ones that have tested so far.) Who knows, I might feel differently if they didn't. I told myself the scores didn't matter, but I was nervous each time until I got them, lol.

Cat

I can't justify cheating.

What I *do* do is tell my kids that standardized testing means nothing in our house, and it's a pointless exercise we must go through every now and then. That really helped my oldest, who happens to love testing, but would still get very anxious about it. It no longer bothers him.

I administer the ITBS for grades 3-8 for our local homeschool group every year. I work really hard to make it as stress-free and enjoyable for the kids as I can. The other moms and I try to be encouraging, talk kids through any fear or frustration, and offer any allowable help along the way. I get kids laughing and moving between sections, etc, etc.

But if home school parents or test administrators bend the rules, we risk losing the ability to administer tests to our own kids at all. We sign statements that we will abide by the rules (at least for tests currently in use -- as far as I know, the CAT available to homeschoolers is an older edition and the rules may be more lax than with the ITBS or Stanford)... I would hate it if home schooled kids *had* to take tests through their local public schools because home schoolers had squandered the privilege of using these tests ourselves.

I also think that for *most* kids, testing can be a useful and positive experience. I have only had one child in my years of testing that I thought should NOT be there participating in the test. I felt that child's learning issues were far, far too severe for the situation we had available and should have been taking a completely different type of test with an educational psychologist. But I wish that child had. They needed a lot more help than the parent was willing to even consider giving, and it was a sad situation. ... In all other cases, even kids who were a little overwhelmed or frightened were able to have an ultimately positive experience and their parents either confirmed what they already knew or were given some additional information about their kids as learners.

:iagree:

Things like this give homeschoolers a reputation of cutting corners and not following the rules, imho.

If a child has a legitimate reason for needing accommodations, getting that documentation now and using it (no time limits, reading the test, etc) will only help the child in the end. Otherwise, the child should take the test as stated in the directions.

They are being assessed up against other children who were probably just as nervous about it. Why should one child get an advantage?

What I *do* do is tell my kids that standardized testing means nothing in our house, and it's a pointless exercise we must go through every now and then. That really helped my oldest, who happens to love testing, but would still get very anxious about it. It no longer bothers him.

This is helpful.

You will also find that the child's stress level is often related to the parent's. Staying calm yourself is helpful. Children will pick up on a parent's nerves.

Other - move to an area which has no mandatory testing.

Seriously. I cannot imagine living somewhere with mandatory testing. Bleh.

Otherwise, the only possible answer would be #3.

:iagree: Exactly what I was going to say. I'll even echo the bleh part. :D

Now, if we were required to test I would give the test fairly without helps, I would do more practice testing with ds throughout the year, and we would discuss this a hoop jumping activity. But we don't have to, so I don't.

I voted #3.

I wonder if someone can answer for me why they think kids get stressed about tests? My kids have perfectionist tendencies, but the test has never stressed them because I've had the attitude of "it doesn't matter, this is just something we have to do, just do your best". I don't show them the results or discuss them with them. I do talk to DH and other HSing parents about them, but they don't know that. It's a non-issue for my kids and has no bearing on what we do the rest of the year.

I'm not a 100% perfect rule follower in every area of life by any means, but I can't imagine telling my kids it is ok to cheat on a test. The only way I could even imagine doing it is if our ability to continue homeschooling was based on the test results.

I have to do testing every year for my kids.

Testing to them is kinda :toetap05: but they do it.

I do, however, use the Woodcock Johnson test. I do not like the ones I have to administer like PASS or CAT or others. To me it is just pointless. Those tests tell you nothing of how your child is actually doing.

I like it because it is administers by someone other that me...so accountability there and it is so relaxed! The administers also are trained to notice any learning abilities and/or disabilities. So if they notice anything about the way you child does things then they will tell you and make suggestions.

The test is also comprehensive and tells you the grade level for a plethora of different things. Did I mention I like this test? :)

There is only a couple parts that are timed and one I remember is math, for the drill part.

Otherwise it really isn't stressful. The testers also start with easy stuff and it gets progressively harder. Which is what it is supposed to do!

I voted "other"

#2 is a no-go under any circumstances.

If the testing is state mandated then I'd go with #3.

If the testing is for the parents' reference only, I'm okay with a certain amount of "bending the rules". For example, my DD had a meltdown partway through one of the sections on the ITBS. I stopped the clock and put the test materials away for the day. The following day, when she was in a better mood, I allowed her to finish the section with the remaining minutes.

She's 7 and this is the first year we did standardized testing. It is not required by the state & we did it for informational purposes only. I made a judgment call that I wouldn't get an accurate assessment given her emotional state. I don't see it as an unfair advantage because she isn't competing with any other student. The results are merely for our own planning.

I live in an area that requires no testing :001_smile:. However during the time my children attended the public school it was very common for modifications to be made on testing with the kids. I would no classify allowing extra time/allowing the child a quiet place to read their test out loud/having the test read to them as cheating. So if I test I would allow the same modifications as previous allowed. Modications are not necessary for all kids however for the children with learning disabilities it is allowable.

This thread is because of my thread so I'll chime in. In the directions given to me for the test it says that the times for each section are approximate. Other than that, there really are no guidelines sent with the test. I'm going off of conscience at this point.

There were a couple of sections she needed an extra minute or two so I let her finish but on one section, she just wasn't going to fit into the approximate time frame I think would be allowable so we stopped and left the rest of it blank. There were two sections that she was overwhelmed by and since they weren't testing her reading comprehension, I read them to her. It was challenging not inflecting my voice for the correct answer but I know it worked because she got some wrong. That told me she was really just answering what she knew to be true, not what I might make it sound to be true.

As an aside to that last portion, I was told recently that this is done at the testing facilities as well when a child needs help reading through something, as long as it isn't the reading comp. portion.

I cannot fathom answering for the child, or encouraging one answer or another. I cannot fathom explaining say, in the math portion, "this is how you get that answer"...that is just part of the test.

In my state we are allowed to do an "evaluation". I'm thinkin' that is how we will go about it for next year.

Well, my husband calls me "Ms. Rules", so as you can imagine, I voted #3. We don't have to test along the way. But I will.

My dd in K took 9 quizzes along the way, and my husband and I wrote an exit test for her to get out of K. It was HARD! You know what? She loves tests and often would ask, "Can we make this (schoolwork) a test?" during the school year.

I agree with others who've stated that parental attitude matters. We use a framework of "Let's knock this out of the park" paired with "We're not going to obsess over the results." :)

When my dd was in private school, they started standardized testing in first grade. I helped the teacher administer the test and realized my dd was very stressed out by the experience. When I give her the ITBS during our homeschool years, I did some test prep with her. It took away most of the stress and the fact that I could do it at home also helped. I followed the rules as given because I wanted an accurate picture of her strenghts and weaknesses.

It seems like none of you have had a child that completely melts down over standardized tests AND lives in a state that requires them yearly. I am the teacher and administrator of my school and I will administer them however I see fit.

In state testing in CA there are accommodations and modifications for students with special needs. Accommodations are slight changes to procedure which the state has determined do not alter the outcome of the test unfairly. Modifications are changes which do alter results and render the results invalid in terms of group statistics, but at the same time allow special needs students to participate and be evaluated on their own terms. Accommodations are things like testing individually instead of in a group, taking breaks, hearing the instructions repeated, etc. Modifications include having passages or questions read aloud, using a calculator, Braille materials, etc. In testing anxious children, I use any and all accommodations, but no modifications. Keeping young testers on task and trying their best through a long test often requires accommodations, pointing to the next question, back scratching, smiling and encouraging, stretch breaks. Even then, these things are only done when necessary to build confidence to work independently. Both accommodations and modifications are documented.

Much of the anxiety is relieved with some preparation and helping the child get a clear picture of what to expect. A cheerful parent, happy attitude, a little practice with "bubbling in," some samples that are difficult, strategies etc. depending on the age of the child, do much to elevate the experience.

Part of this is helping the child to learn to take a standardized test and to approach it cheerfully and without apprehension. Our personal feelings about the validity of the test or the nature of testing over all should take a back seat to making the experience pleasant and worthwhile for the child. If testing is mandatory, then we do it the best we can, creating the most productive, pleasant learning experience possible.

However we feel about standardized testing, negativity in front of the child, complaining, sympathy for the child, rewarding, breaking the rules and helping, etc. only serve to make the process negative for the child.

**One thing I have noticed over the years is that homeschooled children really get involved in the reading selections! They love to take a minute and tell the parent/teacher all about the interesting story before answering the questions. Enjoying letting the child tell you all about it is a fun accommodation!

The STAR test in CA is not timed.

Edited by nrg

For the normal child, it is #3 all the way. For the special needs child, I'd have to choose #4.

I hs three special needs kids and one neuro-typical kid. For my normal kid, we explain the instructions, help him stay on task, maybe reexplain the instructions or further explain a particular question, but that is it. He's on his own. I make use of the opportunity to teach test taking skills (ie., if he's been distracted..."it's always a good idea to go back over the test when you are finished and check your answers," etc.) We use the time limits, within reason. I've been known to stop a test and restart the next day due to fatigue, etc. No extra helps here.

The three special needs kids are a completely different ballgame. All three have sensory processing issues and one has severe, medicated anxiety issues. One has auditory processing problems, one has dyspraxia, another has working memory deficits. Each one requires a unique testing environment and special accommodations in order to even complete the test. For example, one needs each question read to him and repeated three times...with the possible answers in a different order each time (or he just answers the last one he heard!) Another requires a completely un-timed test over the course of an entire week with a lot of hand-holding, breaks, some memory aids, ice to chew, etc. The final kid absolutely cannot complete a test without a weighted blanket, mini-bribes (a cracker every three questions, etc.), gum, repeat repeat repeat on the questions, etc.

Can you tell testing is an absolute nightmare at our house? If I had another choice, I'd take it. Since I don't, I freely use accommodations to get the best out of our special needs kids (I should add that I'm qualified to know which to use by my degree and profession), view it as an exercise in test-taking skills and let the state know I have out of the box kiddos.

Best I can do here, under the circumstances!

Edited by Twinmom
Confused #1 w/#3! Check your answers, Mom! : )

I went with option 1. When dd's test arrived I looked it over. There was one word on the vocabulary part I knew she had no idea of the meaning. So at dinner that evening I brought up the word in conversation. I figured if public schools can teach to the test, so can I.

The next day I administered the test and she got that (along with most of the test) correct.

testing the child myself even if another adult was supposed to do it,

This part I would not do.

In my area we are allowed to use the Hewitt testing for *end of year* evaluation. I use it for my dc up to 8th grade (that's as high as it goes). I like it because it's not timed which for my dc relieved a ton of the stress. I also tell my dc that the testing is more about figuring out how I'm doing as their teacher so they do their best but don't take it personally if they don't know everything. Also, before the test I remind them they will probably not know up to 1/2 of the questions (most children in schools average in the 50%). . .which makes them have a sense of great accomplishment when the test is over and they realized that they knew most of the material.

:iagree: To everyone: This is my fault -- as I was the one who called the OP out on another thread by suggesting what she is doing is unethical and (in my experience as a former schoolteacher) had led to fellow teachers being fired for tampering/assisting/not following rules on the standardized test. Sorry. :glare:

Carli, I don't think any of us were addressing you... you are fine... it was definitely NanceXToo's comment that started all of this on the other thread. (???)

If the OP wants extra accomodations to the child -- then she can file ahead of time a letter from a doctor or IEP suggesting the child needs extended time, a scribe, prompts to be read out loud, etc. But to not ask for accomodations in advance with the test company and then do what she is suggesting... bends the rules and makes the playing grounds unfair. Also makes us homeschoolers look bad and muddies up the scoring for us all.

BTW, I have a special needs child (Aspergers/Anxiety/OCD/rare liver disease) who used to melt down while taking an ordinary chapter test 7 years ago when we first homeschooled. However, due to asking for accomodations with BJU (ITBS) he takes the standardized test with extended time with no issues (he now likes it and understands it is needed) -- and the folks at BJU score it in a different manner other than the rest of the testing population. I use the evidence to help him in the areas he needs help in. Son's ACT PLAN exam (10th grade this fall) is coming up and for the ACT (in 11th grade) he is getting extended time for it due to the accomodations used in the past and a doctor's/neuropsychologist/IEP all asking for the same thing.

Edited by tex-mex

I voted #3.

We're required to test or evaluate, and we choose the ITBS. Because I do not have a college degree, I cannot give it. Dh takes time off work and gives the test. It would be easier for me to give it, but it would be cheating according to the rules, so we just don't do it.

I can't imagine cheating under any circumstance. You can request special accommodations, so there is no reason to cheat.

I tell my boys that all the test does is evaluate how well I've taught them. If they don't know something, it's okay and it's something that I need to teach them.

:iagree: To everyone: I was the one who called the OP out on another thread by suggesting what she is doing is unethical and (in my experience as a former schoolteacher) had led to fellow teachers being fired for tampering/assisting/not following rules on the standardized test. Sorry. :glare:

If the OP wants extra accomodations to the child -- then she can file ahead of time a letter from a doctor or IEP suggesting the child needs extended time, a scribe, prompts to be read out loud, etc. But to not ask for accomodations in advance with the test company and then do what she is suggesting... bends the rules and makes the playing grounds unfair. Also makes us homeschoolers look bad and muddies up the scoring for us all.

Hmm. Before you make this too personal, you might take note that I said that in actuality this doesn't even apply to me. My child did just fine with standardized testing. So it's a non-issue for me personally. Therefore "the OP" isn't "DOING" anything unethical and doesn't need to file a letter ahead of time and so on and so forth (although perhaps those suggestions will come in handy for someone else, so it's all good)!

But when someone else said that their child got seriously upset by standardized testing, it made me think 'what would be my top priority IF I were in that situation, where my child was seriously distressed by this? My child? Or following the exact letter of the law'? (So to speak. I mean, is it even really literally a "LAW"?!) Is bending the 'rules' a little bit an okay price to pay when it comes to a child's mental and emotional well-being? Especially when no-one was going to know the difference? Especially in minor ways like "hey, don't worry about the timer, you just take all the time you need" or "sure, you can do the test with me even though the test says not a parent" or whatever?

And the truth is, whether you agree or not, that my instinct is YES. I just don't see that as all that awful. If that makes me unethical and deserving of little "glare" smilies in your eyes, so be it. You obviously have strong feelings on the topic. That's fine. We all have topics like those. And I'm certainly not looking to get into an argument with you over our individual feelings on the matter. I'm just throwing my own thoughts out there, and now satisfying my curiosity as to what other people think.

Of course, if I knew (which I didn't, as I've had no reason to know) that I COULD do things like trying to get different accommodations ahead of time, perhaps I'd do that instead, if I were in that situation.

But again... I'm not. My suggestion was made to a distressed parent of a distressed child, off the cuff, without being aware that she could do things like that... but I still can't bring myself to get all morally up in arms about standardized testing. I think the bigger issue is that kids are forced to undergo testing to begin with. But that's another story, huh?

ETA: As for "it was definitely NanceXToo's comment that started all of this on the other thread" -er...started all of WHAT? It was just a causal comment there, and it's just a causal conversation here. Apparently this is an issue that gets you pretty heated/upset, but other than your strong reaction, everything was/is pretty tame, in both threads. I've given my thoughts. Yours are crystal clear. We don't have to, like, fight it out or anything, do we? lol

Edited by NanceXToo

Hmm. Before you make this too personal, you might take note that I said that in actuality this doesn't even apply to me. My child did just fine with standardized testing. So it's a non-issue for me personally. Therefore "the OP" isn't "DOING" anything unethical and doesn't need to file a letter ahead of time and so on and so forth (although perhaps those suggestions will come in handy for someone else, so it's all good)!

But when someone else said that their child got seriously upset by standardized testing, it made me think 'what would be my top priority IF I were in that situation, where my child was seriously distressed by this? My child? Or following the exact letter of the law'? (So to speak. I mean, is it even really literally a "LAW"?!) Is bending the 'rules' a little bit an okay price to pay when it comes to a child's mental and emotional well-being? Especially when no-one was going to know the difference? Especially in minor ways like "hey, don't worry about the timer, you just take all the time you need" or "sure, you can do the test with me even though the test says not a parent" or whatever?

And the truth is, whether you agree or not, that my instinct is YES. I just don't see that as all that awful. If that makes me unethical and deserving of little "glare" smilies in your eyes, so be it. You obviously have strong feelings on the topic. That's fine. We all have topics like those. And I'm certainly not looking to get into an argument with you over our individual feelings on the matter. I'm just throwing my own thoughts out there, and now satisfying my curiosity as to what other people think.

Of course, if I knew (which I didn't, as I've had no reason to know) that I COULD do things like trying to get different accommodations ahead of time, perhaps I'd do that instead, if I were in that situation.

But again... I'm not. My suggestion was made to a distressed parent of a distressed child, off the cuff, without being aware that she could do things like that... but I still can't bring myself to get all morally up in arms about standardized testing. I think the bigger issue is that kids are forced to undergo testing to begin with. But that's another story, huh?

ETA: As for "it was definitely NanceXToo's comment that started all of this on the other thread" -er...started all of WHAT? It was just a causal comment there, and it's just a causal conversation here. Apparently this is an issue that gets you pretty heated/upset, but other than your strong reaction, everything was/is pretty tame, in both threads. I've given my thoughts. Yours are crystal clear. We don't have to, like, fight it out our anything, do we? lol

:rolleyes: Hmmm... well, it appears as if you started this thread & poll to justify your earlier comment on the other thread:

And how would anyone even know if you, you know, helped her through it? ;) I wouldn't let my kid get totally stressed out over some stupid standardized test that I didn't even have to turn into anybody.

Nance, who hates the idea of standardized testing anyhow.

And yes, this is a big pet peeve of mine. :glare: Standardized tests are designed to be taken cold without prompts, help, or coaching. Teachers are directed to read the "script" without any extra ad lib and start/stop the test as directed on the script. It puts a bad label on all of us homeschoolers for you to publicly suggest it is okay to veer from the rule of what the standardized test tells us to do. No wonder companies make it difficult for homeschoolers to order them. (I do not want a newbie homeschooler to be reading your post and think, "Gee. I'm going to do that.". That sets the tone for us homeschoolers to be looked at as weak academically.) If the standardized test really bothers you -- for pete's sake, there are many other battery of tests out there for you to use. You can even design your own pre/post test to see where your child is at academically.

ETA: I honestly think you are looking for others to justify your stance. The other thread was helpful for Carli -- you, however, came across in a different light. You have a right to your opinion. If you were a schoolteacher and caught doing what you are suggesting, that would get you disciplined, removed from the classroom, or fired. I've seen it happen in real life. This is why I get hot under the collar over this issue. If a school district takes it seriously to follow the rules of the standardized test... then we as homeschoolers should do so also.

Edited by tex-mex

:rolleyes: Hmmm... well, it appears as if you started this thread & poll to justify your earlier comment on the other thread.

No, I don't feel the need to justify anything. I wasn't bothered by your disagreeing with me. I'm still not. I'm perfectly comfortable with having a different viewpoint from you/other people. I started the thread and poll for conversation and curiosity's sake. No more, no less. If people want to continue posting their replies, regardless of which side of the issue they fall upon, I certainly welcome that. If people disagree with me, I'm okay with that. If people want to ask me questions about my opinion or explain theirs, I'm fine with that, too. I understand and respect your opinion and your reasoning, even. But I won't continue a back and forth with you that consists of you talking about me instead of to me, and punctuating your posts with glares and eyeroll smilies, that's just silly. So I'm just gonna bow out now.

No, I don't feel the need to justify anything. I wasn't bothered by your disagreeing with me. I'm still not. I'm perfectly comfortable with having a different viewpoint from you/other people. I started the thread and poll for conversation and curiosity's sake. No more, no less. If people want to continue posting their replies, regardless of which side of the issue they fall upon, I certainly welcome that. If people disagree with me, I'm okay with that. If people want to ask me questions about my opinion or explain theirs, I'm fine with that, too. I understand and respect your opinion and your reasoning, even. But I won't continue a back and forth with you that consists of you talking about me instead of to me, and punctuating your posts with glares and eyeroll smilies, that's just silly. So I'm just gonna bow out now.

Understood. Starting any thread will have a life of its own -- 'tis the nature of WTM forums. I was addressing you in the previous post -- albeit from my soap box. ;) Guilty as charged with the overuse of similies. However, we now both agree to disagree. :D

Through the service I use, I sign an ethics statement. I'm not going to sign that, and then do otherwise. I agree with other posters about SAT's. I won't be there then, so they should learn to handle it now while I am the tester. Our kids will get stressed, but we are there to assure them that this is just one measure. I tell my kids to do their best, but not to worry.

The older the child gets the more it should matter because it is getting closer and closer to the important high school tests.

lol. Sounds good. Nothing personal on my side, truly. I get where you're coming from.

LOL -- Girl, I am all bark and no bite. Being very opinionated is my undoing. I'd send ya a real beer in real life. Have a Happy 4th of July. :)

Cheers!

:cheers2:

Oh, I agree that it becomes more serious in high school because of college requirements or whatever and that you of course can't hold their hands then. I just hate that we have to put our young elementary school students through it. For the ones who aren't bothered by it, it's irrelevant. But the ones who really get upset? And they're only, what, 8? That really does make me feel bad.

#3.

I very, very purposefully don't look at the actual test materials myself ahead of time or during the testing period (I don't look at the next section, for instance) so that there is then no temptation to even subconsciously teach to the specific questions on the test. When public school teachers "teach to the test," they teach the subject matter that they know will likely be covered, not the specific questions that are going to be on the test. To me, those are two vastly different things. In part, for me, this is reflective of my training (the psychology and education minor parts) and of my personal ethical stance. The *only* way to have valid test results is to follow the protocol exactly as laid out, or to use approved accommodations that are accounted for in the scoring. I read the script out as indicated in the ITBS.

Test prep is very helpful in order to get the child used to taking a bubble test, to getting an idea of the subject matter included, the format of the questions, etc. If the child requires accommodations or modifications for regular instruction, then those should be documented and used for the testing, though, as noted, it may or may not make the results invalid. I also did a lot of stressing to my child that there were going to be things on the test she could not do and that was expected. Until she was in mid-elementary, we did the Woodcock-Johnson because it was much, much less stressful for her. The PASS test may also be easier---I think it's untime? Not sure.