Menu

How do you make frozen vegetables palatable?

I use frozen veggies all the time. If they came out mushy, I would assume I overcooked them. I don't usually buy the steam-in-the-bag kind b/c they do seem to turn out mushy more often. I'm not sure why.

I cook my regular frozen veggies in a Pampered Chef microwave pan thingy.

Frozen vegetables are one of the few things I do put in the microwave. I only buy the corn, broccoli, peas, green beans and spinach. For everything but the spinach, I put them in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and poke a few holes. They never come out mushy. Sounds like over cooking.

I use frozen veggies all the time. If they came out mushy, I would assume I overcooked them. I don't usually buy the steam-in-the-bag kind b/c they do seem to turn out mushy more often. I'm not sure why.

I cook my regular frozen veggies in a Pampered Chef microwave pan thingy.

:iagree: I just cook them until they are not frozen/cold and mix in butter and pepper or garlic. Yum! They taste just like fresh, and I don't have to worry about them spoiling!

Is your microwave high wattage? Try reducing the cooking time by half

I just put frozen veggies in a pot with like 1/4 cup of water and cook them a bit.

ETA: If using as a side dish I usually fresh veggies except for peas, I never see fresh peas at the store and I have a toddler so....

I use frozen veggies in soups or salads sometimes.

Edited by Sis

I use frozen vegetables on occasion when I'm particularly fatigued. I usually use the "Steam-fresh" kind. But honestly they always seem to come out too mushy like Mom used to make in the 60's. . . How do you cook frozen vegetables? Any hints on making them taste better?

Oh, I greatly prefer frozen vegetables! I find them to usually be more "fresh" than the fresh-produce section vegetables :D (which are supposed to ripen en route, and sometimes do ... and sometimes do too much!)

I don't know what "steam-fresh" is. I buy regular frozen vegetables and steam them in a bamboo steamer. If we are eating them steamed, I steam them for the usual time: 5-10 minutes, depending upon the vegetable type.

If we are eating them in a stir-fry, I steam them for most of the usual time (3-8 minutes) then shock them for 1-2 minutes in an ice bath. This locks in the color and texture, plus also stops the cooking until I'm ready to throw them into the wok. This could be anywhere from five minutes to several hours (e.g., preparing extra veggies at lunch for the dinner meal). Either way the vegetables are added to the wok after the ice bath, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until sufficiently warmed and mixed into the stir-fry.

We've never used butter or cheeses on our veggies, and we're not casserole people. Our veggies are either steamed and served on the side, or steamed and served in a stir-fry LOL. We prefer them slightly crunchy, so we lessen cooking time by a minute or two. We sometimes add a bit of ground pepper, and occasionally a dip but for the most part - we like the veggies plain.

Steam them with the strainer insert (I use my pasta pot) or put a metal strainer in the top of a regular saucepan, put a bit of water in the pot, cover with a lid. I then add butter, garlic, and sometimes cheese (Parmesan or cheddar) sprinkled/shredded on top. Even Diva, my 'I don't like vegetables!' kid eats them when prepared that way.

We use froz veggies a lot. Fresh tends to be quite expensive, and I find the quality lacking for what I'd have to pay. That is, unless I can get to one of the produce stores, that usually have far better quality for far less $$.