Menu

What do you drive as a car?

What do you like or not like about it?

My 1991 vehicle is on its last legs/wheels, and we had yet another "shot across the bow" when the rear hatch handle broke off when Loverboy needed to load some shelving units he had purchased. For a year, we have been attaching the battery for driving, and unattaching the battery when parked for more than an hour because of a slow drain on the battery from the electrical system.

It is time for a new car.

We currently drive a 10 yo Nissian that is surprisenly still in decent shape. We have a fully loaded Chevy Silverado and hubby just loves the thing. I did own a Chrystler mini van. It's okay I do like the stow and go option and it did great on cross country trips. We gave it to a family member and we are saving upfor the biggest Chevy SUV. I forgot the name of it. It's going to be my new 'van' and make long camping trips more comfortable for a family of five and three dogs.

We have a Nissan Frontier and a Hyndai Elantra. Both are great. The truck uses more gas since it is a 6 cylinder, but when one needs a truck one needs a truck. I can't think of a thing wrong with them other than the Elantra likes to go fast.

I absolutely love my Sonata. Driving in style :) And for a decent pricetag, ya know?

BTW, my car died (completely) on the way TO the dealership to buy a new (to me) car. I had to have it towed the rest of the way. Thankfully, they still honored the voucher (Texas' version of Cash for Clunkers). So I know what it's like to drive a beater, but so happy with my Hyundai :)

I drive a 2010 Toyota Sienna (had to trade my Corolla, which I LOVED when I was rear-ended). I've had the van about 15 months and truly, it is one of the best driving/riding cars we have ever had. We drive our cars till they drop so I'm sure this one will still be going into the 2020's.

DH's 12 year old Mazda pickup is still going strong, too. Thank goodness for the auto shop at my husband's HS!!

I have an 2008 Volvo XC90 and I love it. Love. It. I had an '05 XC90 before it that I also loved, but this one has way more bells and whistles. I have a built in GPS (which is fantastic) and back up camera (essential in an SUV). The interior is all leather and high quality. I did not get the 3rd row of seats (I only have 1 ds) because you lose all the cool cubbies under the floorboard in the trunk if you do. I use the cubbies to store emergency supplies (flashlight, rain gear, bottles of water, MRE's, blankets, and the German required warning triangle, first aid kit and reflective vest). If I were to get a new car (which I won't for a while), I'd stick with Volvo (I love Volvo) and probably move to the XC60, which is similar to the XC90, but slightly smaller. They both have a rather hefty price tag, though (mine was just under $60K), but for the quality, service and resale value, I think it was worth it. I love my car. Her name is Ulrika von Nordland. She's Swedish. :lol:

I am driving the best vehicle I have ever had. It is a 2005 Ford Expedition and I LOVE it!!!!!! I have a lways had very used vehicles, and this is first one that was pretty much 'new". We bought it a year and a half ago and it only had 19,000 miles. It pulls our pop-up camper, and fits the 5 of us very comfortably.:D

I know all about old cars....but I have an almost new one now that I love. 07 Buick Rendezvous. I LOVE it. They don't make it anymore though....my friend bought a wrecked one, fixed it, and I bought it. I got a great price on a vehicle with less than 30K.

I love Honda's too....I got a new Civic in 91 and drove it for 11 years. It had

140K miles on it and was still running like a top. It got 30 MPG or better all the time.

1999 Chrysler Town and Country van we got used about 7 years ago. It is still a bit below 100,000 miles and we hope to get a couple more years out of it as can not afford a car payment until the youngest is out of braces! Then with luck, it will still function to be the teen's car, and we can get another used vehicle - maybe not a mini-van this time!!!

PS the van is MINE - hubby's "car" runs on steel tracks between Elgin and Chicago. He gets to read the newspaper, chat, or nap while he "drives". We deliberately bought a house within a 20 minutes walk to the train station just to avoid a second car and related costs.

Edited by JFSinIL

I currently own an '02 Volvo wagon. I just can't do an SUV or a minivan so this affords me lots of space in a very drivable car. It's my second Volvo wagon (first one killed by a deer hit) and won't be my last. These cars easily hit 200K plus because they are so well made. Plus, my dealership is awesome! Resale value is pretty high as well.

I love my 2002 Ford Taurus, that car has made 1 down and back trip from Michigan, 1 move down from Michigan where everything we owned had to fit in the car, and so far two trips of Georgia to Michigan and back. Not including all the trips that are less than 15 hour drives. I have heard of a lot of people having problems with their's but I have not but then again we are very anal about getting the oil changed and what not. OH and her name is Sandy. DH's 1992 Mazda b2300 (a really good little truck) is named Maggie. (yes I name all vehicles we have owned)

We have a 2006 Town & Country that we bought in October. With a family of 6, a minivan was our best option. I love the stow & go seating and the automatic doors. It handles well, visibility is good. It's comfortable driving on long trips. The negatives: I don't like the fact that the bumper isn't a bumper. Also, there's no tow hitch & no place to put one. Road noise tends to be a bit loud as well. My mechanic says that Chrystlers are really good vehicles as long as you maintain them properly. No putting off the scheduled maintenance, even the oil change, or you will develop problems.

I'd originally intended to buy the Toyota minivan (Sierra? Sienna? I forget)...it was quieter and the other features were on par with the T&C, however, I just wasn't as comfortable in the drivers' seat. I'm not sure what it was exactly...the windows didn't give quite as much visibility, the handling was just a tiny bit off somehow? I don't know.....I just knew the Toyota wasn't for me, even if I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

I drive a Ford Freestar minivan (2004).

It is ok, but I'd like something smaller since we don't have a big family. When we bought it, I was hoping for at least 3 or 4 kids. :crying:

It is paid off though, and the thought of car payments again makes me shutter.

My dh drives a Civic Hybrid and it has been a fantastic car for us. We love it!

We have two vehicles:

a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix and a 2001 Ford F-150.

The Pontiac needs lots of body work -I am not sure it is street legal since the passenger side door needs to be duct taped closed - but the engine is in excellent condition.

Since we are debt free neither DH nor I want another car payment. Every day, though, one of us mentions buying a new car.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

We currently own a Chrystler Town & Country which we love. Before that we owned two consecutive Checy Astros which we also loved. My dd owns a Hyundi Santa Fe and I really like it as well. None of the vans were very good on milage but I think me dd's car is. It seats 5 with plenty of room for storage, is reasonable priced and has an excellent warranty.

Edited by KidsHappen

1999 Chrysler Town and Country van we got used about 7 years ago. It is still a bit below 100,000 miles and we hope to get a couple more years out of it as can not afford a car payment until the youngest is out of braces! Then with luck, it will still function to be the teen's car, and we can get another used vehicle - maybe not a mini-van this time!!!

PS the van is MINE - hubby's "car" runs on steel tracks between Elgin and Chicago. He gets to read the newspaper, chat, or nap while he "drives". We deliberately bought a house within a 20 minutes walk to the train station just to avoid a second car and related costs.

Our DH's drive the same make and model except my DH goes from Western IL to Central IA!:D

I currently own an '02 Volvo wagon. I just can't do an SUV or a minivan so this affords me lots of space in a very drivable car. It's my second Volvo wagon (first one killed by a deer hit) and won't be my last. These cars easily hit 200K plus because they are so well made. Plus, my dealership is awesome! Resale value is pretty high as well.

:iagree: to all of that. I'm a loyal Volvo wagon driver as well. LOVE these cars. Reliable, safe, and versatile-- when I'm not carting kids around I'm able to lug bales of hay, manure, and even small trees and shrubs in it. My current one is an older XC model and I love it even more because I don't worry as much about getting around in the snow if I have to.

We are currently driving a 2006 Ford Five Hundred. Our problems with it isn't so much the car as it is where we drive the car. We live in the country with 13 miles of gravel road. Cars nowadays are not made for country living. The gravel eats away at the vehicles. We have had a number of problems with this car but I don't think we would have them if we lived in the city. I really like the car itself but we are looking for another vehicle just not sure what we are going to get. It is hard to find a vehicle this day that is 'gravel road worthy.'

I'm driving a 1998 full-sized Chevy van. Once the kids are all gone (or maybe when I'm down to just one), I'll replace it with an actual car. The van is a bear to park. It's been a great vehicle for us though.

My dh replaced his 15yo pickup with a Honda Fit last year. We really like the Honda. It is very zippy, gets great gas mileage, and can park anywhere.

We drive a 2000 diesel Ford excursion. We love it, but with my grandmother staying/likely moving in, we will probably need something that will seat 9. I guess a 12-passenger van is in my future, unless we want to take 2 cars everywhere.

'09 Hyundai Tucson. It was used (17,000 kms) so we didn't shell out a new car price. It's a crossover, basically a car with an SUV's height. We live out in the boonies and needed something with enough ground clearance that it could go over the snow (our road is often the last to be plowed in the area) and not lose the exhaust (happened to our '98 Elantra).

I love it. It gets good mileage and and works well for us. Plus I love Hyundai's. Top quality but much cheaper then Toyota or Honda.

I mainly drive our 2002 Toyota RAV4--LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It's small, but can hold a surprisingly large amount of stuff. We've never had to do anything to it except recently replace the tires. My now 14 yr old dd will probably get this car in a couple of years, but I'm not sure I'll be ready to let it go.

We also have a 2009 Toyota Highlander, which is much roomier and gets better gas mileage than the RAV. The ride is incredibly smooth and quiet.

What do you like or not like about it?

We bought a 2010 Prius last year. Imo, the stereotypical Prius driver is a middle aged, shorts-wearing, gray-haired, wearer-of-hiking boots, bicyclist wannabe, bearded, vegan male. I don't fit any of that, except maybe middle-aged.

We bought it for the gas mileage; I didn't expect to love it. But I do. It handles wonderfully, I can park it anywhere, it's comfortable, has a roomy backseat and trunk area, and the 50mpg is the icing on the cake (I made over 60mpg on a recent 400 mile trip to PA).

Dh won't drive it. If you've ever watched (the comedian) Jeff Dunham, you'll know why.:lol: He prefers my "old" 2000 Odyssey "Sport" van, lol.

2 years ago we bought our first new car ever, a Toyota Matrix XR. We love it. It is a compact but my tall dh actually fits.

He almost broke a saturn (car type) trying to fit in it when we were looking to buy! The problem is more the length of his legs then his height and he tried to put the seat farther back then it could go. We made the salesman really nervous!

It gets great gas mileage (not as good as a prius, of course) and has a good amount of hauling capacity given the size of it. The weirdest thing is that it has a plug in (I forget the technical term) you know like on your wall. I was driving from church to a picnic today with my crockpot plugged into my car. We love the ease of drive and maneuverability. It is not the greates when it comes to keeping "road noise" out when you are on the interstate. We have taken it through the mountains on our way to Tenn. and it handled wonderfully!

We had always owned used fords before this and my dh has changed more headgaskits than he wants to remember. But, I did like our Tauras too.

We bought a 2010 Prius last year. Imo, the stereotypical Prius driver is a middle aged, shorts-wearing, gray-haired, wearer-of-hiking boots, bicyclist wannabe, bearded, vegan male. I don't fit any of that, except maybe middle-aged.

I know four people with Priuses (sp?) and none of them fit that sterotype.

I like my two year old Ford Focus hatchback. It can fit four people easily and an extra with a squeeze. There's good space for the dog, or the recycling, or some suitcases, or Hobbes' harp, or the shopping in the back. It's very reliable.

Laura

I drive a four-door Jeep Wrangler and LOVE it! I've always wanted a Jeep and "Dusty" is a blast. Absolutely no get-up-and-go and I have to give him plenty of room to merge into anything, but, it is the absolute best snow car I've ever had. He will climb through anything (even around my dh's stuck diesel Ford F250 truck " The Beastie"). Gotta love it!!!!:001_smile:

I drive a 2010 Jeep Patriot.

What I like about it:

- it's pretty roomy and yet it's a smaller SUV

- it gets great gas mileage

- it handles well

- I can take it off-road if I want to (and I do occasionally)

- plenty of cup holders in front and back and extra storage above glove compartment

- I like that it says "Patriot" in big letters across the back bumper :)

What I don't like about it:

- the only thing I don't like is that the light in the back seat only comes on when the doors are open (it doesn't appear that there's a way to turn it on while you're driving - but maybe I just need to spend some more time perusing the owner's manual)...

Currently driving an 07 Pilot. It's far too cramped and has NO storage space. We're looking to buy our first gently used vehicle and will ONLY buy a Suburban or Yukon. We had a Suburban before and I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO miss it. I plan to drive my next one into the ground.

BTW, we are a family of 6, I'm VERY tall for a woman (5'9) and all the males in the family are 6'2. We NEED space! We also have a farm and I SO miss all the space of the Suburban.