Menu

Anyone interested in a "Flat Stanley" exchange?

momto2Cs

MORE INFO ADDED - PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY!

Hey, is there a way to get this post stickied?

I was reading The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas last night (great book btw), and came across a story of a girl doing Flat Stanley exhanges to learn US geography. So, I brainstormed and came up with this...

1. Interested people could pm me with address info, I can create a spreadsheet, and email it to those playing along. PLEASE SEND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AS WELL.

2. Kids make their own flat selves. Make them the right size to fit in a standard manilla envelope (8x11 I think), and I would suggest making them from something like cardstock. For families with more than one child, you could handle it two ways: one, have each of them do a seperate envelope, or two, send it out as a family envelope. PLEASE WRITE CHILD'S FIRST NAME AND ADDRESS ON THE BACK OF EACH FLAT CHILD - that might make them easier to mail back at the end!

3. Please enclose an introductory letter with a little about where you live, etc.! Also, each envelope will need to include a mailing list. Please cross yours off before sending the Flat Child on to the next on the list.

4. When you receive someone's Flat Child, you take it with you when you go somewhere interesting, snap of photo of the Flat person there, and send the photo (and maybe a brief letter) BY EMAIL, then send the Flat Child along to someone else on the list - PLEASE enclose a list with each Flat Child you send out so that addresses can be crossed off, and the Flat Child won't get resent to any family. If you like, your child(ren) can write something about where they live as well (in the email). By emailing the pictures and information, we cut down on the time it will take to get the Flat Child(ren) moving around the country since they won't have to be mailed back and forth. We also cut down on postage, since you won't be adding to envelope weight.

5. This is technically open to kids of all ages, though I think those in 6th grade and lower would have the most fun with it. I'll hold the registration open through the end of June, then we can start in July. That gives people plenty of time to sign up, read the book, make themselves, etc.

My plan, when we get photoes/information is to make a binder with 50 pages, one for each state. Then we can glue on pictures, write down information, look up the state's flag, bird, tree, etc.

Anyone interested?

Edited by momto2Cs

I am definitely interested. We have had a blast taking pictures of ourselves with Flat Nephews/Cousins (doing all sorts of weird and interesting things :D) and mailing them back!!!

What is the ideal age/grade for this? My oldest is a rising 2nd grader and will be 8 in October.

If we fit the age/grade criteria (and we'd need the book I presume) then I'll PM you with our info.

Now you got me out of my lurking mode - we took Flat Stanley on a field trip last year. He was a project for my sister's nephew who is in public school. She made our adventure into a video - "Flat Stanley Spends the Day with Homeschoolers". It was so much fun taking pictures of everything we did with Flat Stanley in the frame. We buckled him into the car, gave him beverages, showed him hanging over the rail at Bushkill Falls ... My kids loved it, and the class voted the video the best Flat Stanley Adventure of all.

We will play along.

MORE INFO ADDED - PLEASE READ EDITS!

Hey, is there a way to get this post stickied?

I was reading The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas last night (great book btw), and came across a story of a girl doing Flat Stanley exhanges to learn US geography. So, I brainstormed and came up with this...

1. Interested people could pm me with address info, I can create a spreadsheet, and email it to those playing along. PLEASE SEND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AS WELL.

2. EDITED: Kids could make 4 versions of their own flat selves. I say 4 because that way you could send them off in 4 different directions at once, and get more feedback more often. Make them the right size to fit in a standard manilla envelope (8x11 I think). Please enclose an introductory letter with a little about where you live, etc.! For families with more than one child, you could handle it two ways: one, have each of them do a seperate envelope, or two, send it out as a family envelope.

3. EDITED: When you receive someone's Flat Child, you take it with you when you go somewhere interesting, snap of photo of the Flat person there, and send the photo (and maybe a brief letter) BY EMAIL, then send the Flat Child along to someone else on the list - PLEASE enclose a list with each Flat Child you send out so that addresses can be crossed off, and the Flat Child won't get resent to any family. If you like, your child(ren) can write something about where they live as well.

4. This is technically open to kids of all ages, though I think those in 6th grade and lower would have the most fun with it. I'll hold the registration open through the end of June, then we can start in July. That gives people plenty of time to sign up, read the book, make themselves, etc.

My plan, when we get photoes/information is to make a binder with 50 pages, one for each state. Then we can glue on pictures, write down information, look up the state's flag, bird, tree, etc.

Anyone interested?

I am definitely interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both my kids would love this!

Can you post what states we have periodically, to motivate the board to sign up? Many people don't list their location in their profiles, but you'd be able to put up an anonymous list.

So far I see:

NY

GA

MI

CA

We are in NC.

I did a Flat Stanley project with my daughter, then 8, last year. It was really neat. We sent Stanleys to all different people we knew through message boards, friends of friends, etc. They went to a bunch of states and a few other countries as well.

We asked people to "dress" Flat Stanley in something that would depict something Stanley "did" while he was with his host family, or something that represented the area where he was visiting. We said they could be as creative as they wanted with that- they could use crayons, markers, fabric, etc. It was really fun when we got all the different Stanleys back and saw how people "dressed" him.

We also sent a questionnaire along with him asking a few basic questions about where he was visiting and the types of things he saw and did while he was there.

I maintained a blog/journal site tracking his adventures whenever people sent me updates either via email or in the mail or sent postcards or whatever, so that everyone who had one of our Stanleys could see what other people were doing with him.

It really ended up being a fun project. People sent me some really cool pictures of them doing things with Stanley, which I'd put on the website. Some people sent souvenirs back when they returned him.

A lot of people never did return him at all lol- but we got a decent amount of the Stanleys back.

If you are interested in checking out the site, here is the very first entry:

http://travelingwithflatstanley.blogspot.com/2009/06/flat-stanley-joins-family.html

You can use the links at the left to proceed through the posts and when you get to the last numbered one, you can click "newer" at the bottom of the page-

Of course the site was abandoned nearly a year ago when summer ended and I got busy with the school year but you might find some fun ideas on there if you're interested :)

P.S. As you might see if you take a peek, we ended up making a "hometown Flat Stanley" for us to keep and take around our local area, too, and we put his/our adventures up on the site at the time, too, in addition to the ones that were traveling, so the people we were 'meeting' in other locations could also see what it was like where we lived, if they wanted.

We're new to this forum and would love to join in! I have a friend who did this and she had her kids lie down and she traced the outline of their bodies on long white paper and then let them draw on them. Her pictures were really great of their "bodies" in the different locations, with different people holding them up. She had to fold them several times to fit them in the large envelope but it was a neat thought...........

Amy

We are up to 24 families already! And we have 18 states, and 2 addresses outside the states!

AP (Korea with US mailing address)

Alberta, Canada

AL

AR

CA

CO

IA

IL

KY

MI

MT

NC

NM

NY

OH

OR

TX

VA

WI

WV

Edited by momto2Cs

We are up to 24 families already! And we have 18 states, and 2 addresses outside the states!

AP (Korea with US mailing address)

Alberta, Canada

AL

AR

CA

CO

IA

IL

KY

MI

MT

NC