Menu

ABC News Unschooling Story-has this been posted here?

I'm stunned! To each his own, I guess. I don't understand why a parent makes the assumption that her dc aren't going to need Algebra, for example. Or don't need to know classic literature. I suppose she assumes that if they need it later, they'll get it later. It just seems like a lot of learning is going to have to happen in a short amount of time when they are older and wiser and can determine for themselves what they want. But how will they know they excel in science or history if they are not exposed to such subjects beforehand. I see some benefits to unschooling from the little I've read about it. I don't see much benefits to radical unschooling. I will say, though, that I'm glad these parents have the right to determine how they want to school their own dc. That is how it should be. It's not like the public schools aren't also turning out uneducated people as well.

The idea has always appealed to me, but I'm way too paranoid and controlling to ever actually do it.

I love how melodramatic the writer is: "These are things the kids may never get a chance to forget." ooooooh... ominous!

It deserves some discussion... especially the bit where the parent-teacher is quizzed about how her children will learn about Shakespeare, Twain, and James, and she replies that she does not remember much that she learned in school about historians. Huh?

:lol: That part had me confused as well. It's one thing, a very sad thing in my opinion, to not remember Shakespeare's contributions to our culture. It's another thing to not even remember how he contributed!

There was another thread I posted in but here was my response:

Well I watched the blip on it and I am severely disappointed. While I don't agree with everything the unschooling mom does and did (some of it way off base) however I won't stand in her way.

ABC did an abhorrent job on presenting even unschooling I think. This case they presented was an extreme case and the comments about the children faltering over questions? :001_huh: Mine would too in the face of cameras and strangers! And what was their (ABC's) definition of a "simple multiplication question?

I sooooo did not like it. Are they going to do blip on homeschooling the WTM way? Charlotte Mason? Classical? Trivium? Sonlight? A Beka? BJU? TOG? Shall I go on with the different ways people homeschool? You could say that there are just as many ways as there are homeschoolers. /sigh What do you expect from the media?

In fairness, since I criticized the mom I will now criticize ABC.

People sometimes feel the need to quiz my dd when they find out she's homeschooled - which irritates me to no end. When she is put on the spot like that in front of strangers, she stumbles. Hey, I stumble when I'm nervous too. That's human nature. I don't think that is in any way a fair assessment of my child, or of Dayna Martin's children.

In fairness, since I criticized the mom I will now criticize ABC.

People sometimes feel the need to quiz my dd when they find out she's homeschooled - which irritates me to no end. When she is put on the spot like that in front of strangers, she stumbles. Hey, I stumble when I'm nervous too. That's human nature. I don't think that is in any way a fair assessment of my child, or of Dayna Martin's children.

:iagree:

However, radical unschooling is def. not my cuppa. ;)

This is not how I imagined unschooling. They portrayed them as doing NOTHING academic whatsoever. I imagine unschooling to be a bit more guided. For instance if a child is interested in horses, they may learn about math by figuring out how much feed a horse would need for a week or reading literature about horses or the role that horses have played in history. I never imagined it to be so...void. Of course I realize that it was most likely edited to make it look as bad as possible. They made the children look like wild animals in many of the scenes.

However, radical unschooling is def. not my cuppa. ;)

Nor mine. :001_smile:

This is not how I imagined unschooling. They portrayed them as doing NOTHING academic whatsoever. I imagine unschooling to be a bit more guided.

I know some RU families, and it is indeed not guided, and there are no formal academics at all, unless the child requests it. In fact, Dayna Martin is a name I've heard mentioned by these friends, so I think their styles are similar. But these are people who specifically identify themselves as "radical unschoolers". I don't know how different that may be from simply "unschooling".

"What about when the learning gets more sophisticated? How do you expose them to Shakespeare or Twain or Henry James? You know, how do you teach them the great works and the great historians..."

She asked about historians, so the mom wasn't saying that the writers mentioned were historians. She was answering the question that was asked.

Oh, may I ask where you got this? What I read simply said:

What happens when the learning becomes more sophisticated and her kids need to be exposed to Shakespeare or Twain or Henry James?

"I think a lot of people might value that more than others. That that is important and it is part of someone's life. I honestly don't remember, yes, although I know their names, I don't remember the details of what I learned in school about the historians," Martin said.

Apparently this version has been overly edited?

This piece was done better than the previous one a few weeks back. However, they never focus on positives or children who were successfully unschooled.

I went to private school until the 9th grade and public school from 10th-12th. I was exposed to Shakespeare and Twain by the 7th grade in private school. I could not afford to send my 4 children to a private school to get the same level of education that I received. We tried public and it is definitely not what JuJu (do not know how to spell her name) thinks.

I wish there would be a good piece on home schooling and not unschooling.

Yes, I just compared the video to the transcript; the latter is incomplete, which makes the mother look silly.

Yes. Thank you, Secular Mom, for bringing this up. The editing was unfair. I, personally, still disagree with the underlying sentiment of her response: that those things just aren't important. But I do want to be sure I'm disagreeing with what she actually said, and not criticizing her for ABC's poor editing job.

And that parent-teacher agreed to be featured! Why didn't she prepare her children for the idea that they would be quizzed and questioned?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the non-coercive parenting she seems to prefer. She probably wasn't concerned with them being quizzed either, she just has a different mindset. To truly believe that people will learn what they 'need' to learn when they 'need' to learn it probably means that you don't really mind if the kids aren't able to answer such quiz questions. Either the kids weren't interested enough to retain it, or they just didn't 'need' to know the answer.

It seems like a more honest portrayal (maybe) if one doesn't prepare her children BUT notice that they didn't *show* the kid "stumbling"--that was just their assessment of his performance.

"What did you learn [from the museum]?" The kids don't know. Mine wouldn't know. Ps kids wouldn't know. Not a good measure.

"Do you know what this is?" the man at the museum store asks rhetorically. The kids shrug, as most kids will. Again, not a good measure.

If the reporters had done their research, had a good idea of what unschooling is, imo, they would have asked (either also or instead):

"What are you passionate about?" & let the kid start talking. I'd think that would be the only way to see the beauty of unschooling.

I'm not an unschooler *at all,* but I guess I think the only way you can be NOT an unschooler--thoughtfully anyway--is to...understand it, know about it enough to appreciate what it is & isn't.

That didn't come out quite right, but I got attacked by a hungry 3yo, so hopefully it at least makes sense. :001_huh:

I did notice that they didn't show the little boy "stumbling". They asked him a multiplication problem.. did he need a few quick seconds to come up with the answer or did he flat out not know? Huge difference. I still need a few seconds to figure out the answer to most multiplication problems!!!

I did kind of think the part about the museum was a little more appropriate. The mother's point is that her children can learn this way... but just after visiting the museum the boy hadn't learned anything? Even my 4.5 year old can usually come up with something close to educational. Even something like "about clouds" would have satisfied me.

I wish that radical unschoolers would call themselves what they are. Unparenters. Frankly this is so completely off the wall that I cannot imagine it is real. I fall outside the spectrum of most hsers as I do not think it should be unregulated within reason. There are some standards beneath which no child should be allowed to fall even if their "parents" are abysmally daft. This is neglect plain and simple. If a parent in a divorce situation was permitting this you can bet the judge would take it into consideration especially the lack of bedtime, any structure to the daily life in the home etc. People lose custody for far less.

The idea has always appealed to me, but I'm way too paranoid and controlling to ever actually do it.

I love how melodramatic the writer is: "These are things the kids may never get a chance to forget." ooooooh... ominous!

Yeah and the "to see how this learning through osmosis works". Urgh!

I don't think that there is anything wrong with radical unschooling. I honestly believe the kids will find their way in life as long as they are provided with the tools (both inner and outer) they need in order to pursue their interests. I honestly don't think everyone is cut out for academics as we know them and I like the idea of working on invoking passion in our children rather than whether or not they can recall the history of the modern world or recite the periodic table of elements. I believe that if someone wants to be a scientist and is allowed access to whatever physical materials they need, then they will absolutely become one as long as they have been instilled with the inner tools to do so. I would go as far as to say that in my opinion the inner tools are much more important.

That said, to me there isn't a wrong way and right way to raise and educate your children, there are just many different ways.

Tofu - Mom to an 11 year old budding film director who already has a resume (and has just started his own lawn mowing business to fund his film projects) and a 7 year old wanna-be robotics engineer who shows the same passion as his brother.

What struck me as the most irresponsible statement that Dayna Martin made in that interview is that she just wants her kids to be happy. We all want our kids to be happy, but it doesn't set them up for a realistic life experience to avoid any unhappiness at all costs. As adults, we make concessions everyday, whether we are stay at home parents or working parents. We make concessions at church, in line at the drive thru or grocery store. There is no way to be happy all the time. Children need to learn to adapt. I also worry that children in households such as the Martins will have trouble developing a good work ethic. If the emphasis is on being happy all the time what happens when a project or report is due, but I don't feel like doing it? While our kids don't need intense pressure, they need to understand that sometimes we have to do things that we don't really want to do. I just don't understand.

I wish that radical unschoolers would call themselves what they are. Unparenters. Frankly this is so completely off the wall that I cannot imagine it is real. I fall outside the spectrum of most hsers as I do not think it should be unregulated within reason. There are some standards beneath which no child should be allowed to fall even if their "parents" are abysmally daft. This is neglect plain and simple. If a parent in a divorce situation was permitting this you can bet the judge would take it into consideration especially the lack of bedtime, any structure to the daily life in the home etc. People lose custody for far less.

:iagree: The unschoolers I've met do nothing academic with their children. Sometimes their children ask intelligent questions on a field trip but a good part of the time their children are the ones "swinging from the chandeliers" and distracting the other kids. The unschoolers I've met let their children run wild while they pursue their own interests. A local unschooling legend's daughter was begging other mom's to teach her to read at 12, because her mom "didn't have time". Her mom tours the country speaking at conventions. I am not a fan of radical unschooling as I've seen it, 1st hand.

I do agree that sometimes, some kids (maybe all, idk) benefit from unstructured learning. But to me radical unschooling is a cop-out, it's abandoning your responsibilities as a parent and home teacher. it gives a bad name to all home educators and stay at home parents. Of course, my opinions are based on my observations and experiences.

I saw it when it aired last night. The timing was interesting because I had spent some time earlier in the day reading the blog of an unschooling mom I know through our co-op. Her blog was full of the fascinating things her kids are working on -- community college classes during the high school years, leadership conferences, part-time jobs, studying ancient Rome and math, reading interesting books..... I found the whole thing fascinating. I had the pleasure of having one of her children in a co-op class this spring, and he was bright, enthusiastic, and motivated. And the mom considers herself to be a radical unschooler because her children do all of these things by choice -- and her family is utterly unlike the one ABC showed. I can't believe how different unschooling can look in different households.

A local unschooling legend's daughter was begging other mom's to teach her to read at 12, because her mom "didn't have time".

PLEASE tell me that someone taught this poor girl to read?!!! That's breaks my heart and THAT is very neglectful!

Unparenting + Unschooling=Uneducated & Unemployed

It's biased. Any one that's ever been interviewed for media purposes knows that it gets edited, cut, and pasted to make you look the way they want.

Once I was interviewed about a homeschool gym class and why I thought it was important. I gave a huge speel about the intricacies of physical fitness, mathematics of score calculation, history of team sports, etc. and finished it off with a joke: "Besides, it's hard to play kickball with just 2 people."

Guess what got published?

Yep. I was portrayed as the idiot who homeschooled and realized that you had to have more than 2 people to play kickball.

Now any time I read/watch an interview, I feel terrible for the person interviewed because I know they had other things to say that were cut.

I believe in reasonable regulations:) I do not believe in unparenting as well which I think is what some radical unschoolers espouse. I do see value in enhancing a child's interests, but I also believe in exposing ds to a wide variety of things that he may have never expressed an interest in;) I also believe in a solid foundation in the classics as well as manners:)

I did notice that they didn't show the little boy "stumbling". They asked him a multiplication problem.. did he need a few quick seconds to come up with the answer or did he flat out not know? Huge difference. I still need a few seconds to figure out the answer to most multiplication problems!!!

I did kind of think the part about the museum was a little more appropriate. The mother's point is that her children can learn this way... but just after visiting the museum the boy hadn't learned anything? Even my 4.5 year old can usually come up with something close to educational. Even something like "about clouds" would have satisfied me.

My 7yo could--she's always been able to tell things back. My 9yo has never been able to do this well--he overprocesses every question he's asked, & if he's put on the spot by someone, it's worse. For ex, he used to always say he learned "nothing" in SS. One day we were there for the lesson, so when he said "nothing" as usual on the ride home, I prompted him. His answer? "I didn't learn that; I already knew it." :lol:

I don't think it means her kids *can't* learn like that or even necessarily that they *didn't.* I just think one would need a different measuring stick to determine whether or not learning had occurred.

I saw it when it aired last night. The timing was interesting because I had spent some time earlier in the day reading the blog of an unschooling mom I know through our co-op. Her blog was full of the fascinating things her kids are working on -- community college classes during the high school years, leadership conferences, part-time jobs, studying ancient Rome and math, reading interesting books..... I found the whole thing fascinating. I had the pleasure of having one of her children in a co-op class this spring, and he was bright, enthusiastic, and motivated. And the mom considers herself to be a radical unschooler because her children do all of these things by choice -- and her family is utterly unlike the one ABC showed. I can't believe how different unschooling can look in different households.

Now this sounds like a great unschooling experience. Unfortunately, I have read too many posts from radical unschoolers on multiple message boards that truly advocated unparenting IMHO:glare:. I think the unparenting unschoolers give unschoolers and homeschoolers a bad name.

Edited by priscilla
oops, had to correct sentence since it conveyed wrong meaning:(

I'm stunned! To each his own, I guess. I don't understand why a parent makes the assumption that her dc aren't going to need Algebra, for example..

A local woman, not an unschooler, was interviewed a few years back. She was teaching her children crafts, purity, and had them read books as they liked. The both "taught themselves" to read, and could garden, tat, construct, knit, etc all the sex-appropriate skills. She had a nice home and was a SAHM because her professional hubby brought in good bucks. How did she imagine those kids were going to get by? Or was she hoping they'd marry white collar workers? Or did she (and her hubby, whom one assumes was in agreement) regret her income bracket and hope the kids were in a lower one. Was she raising back-to-the-landers? Hoping they'd grow up Amish? It seemed like an extreme case of anti-intellectualism, but she gets to live on the income of her white-collar husband.

I suppose when it comes to reading and anything else like that they were unschoolers, but since she had a curriculum (crafts), I don't think of her as an unschooler. It would calling me an unschooler because I didn't teach Urdu. She chose to leave maths and writing, etc, simply OUT of her lessons. Bizarre. This also breaks our homeschool law, which has some specific subjects that need to be taught (math being one of them).

A local unschooling legend's daughter was begging other mom's to teach her to read at 12, because her mom "didn't have time".

PLEASE tell me that someone taught this poor girl to read?!!! That's breaks my heart and THAT is very neglectful!

Unparenting + Unschooling=Uneducated & Unemployed

Yes, somebody finally taught her, but she is just floating through life. She's 18 now, not in college, doesn't have a job. She posts youtube videos and blog entries.

Something else that really bothers me about the unschoolers I've met around here are the co-ed sleepovers, even in the teen years. I attribute this to the unparenting. There were also a group of parents encouraging their kids to experiment with sex. I just don't understand how some parents chose to raise their kids!

Of course, it's parents like the ones I know that give others a bad name!

I must admit that I found the Nightline story fascinating, because I have never seen a real unschooler radical or otherwise. I just could not imagine it until I saw it.

The one thing that would really concern me. I've found that my daughter avoids things that are difficult for her. If we unschooled, she would probably never learn to write letters or numbers, since this is an area that she struggles with. It is not that she won't eventually be able to do it, but she needs very specific and consistent instruction (Dyspraxia - fine motor skills issues only).

When I was young, my eyes had difficulty tracking words on a page. I had to do eye-exercises. If my parents unschooled and hadn't worked with me and found out what the issues were, I'm sure I would not have learned to read. Playing was more fun that working on reading and eye exercises. I find that scary.

:iagree: The unschoolers I've met do nothing academic with their children. Sometimes their children ask intelligent questions on a field trip but a good part of the time their children are the ones "swinging from the chandeliers" and distracting the other kids. The unschoolers I've met let their children run wild while they pursue their own interests. A local unschooling legend's daughter was begging other mom's to teach her to read at 12, because her mom "didn't have time". Her mom tours the country speaking at conventions. I am not a fan of radical unschooling as I've seen it, 1st hand.

Yes, this is true.

I have a friend who unschools her two teen boys, and has been for several years now. She says she and her husband have no problem with the boys playing 30 hours of World of Warcraft a week, if they want to, because they learn from it.

When we've asked her about different subjects and schoolwork (because we were interested in learning about unschooling), she cites things like playing Monopoly or having discussions in the car. She said once that "her kids can sleep whenever and wherever they want." They do not formally study anything like algebra, geometry, biology, foreign language, etc.

She is very proud of this lifestyle. What I mean by that is, it's not that I'm not seeing the whole picture, or that I'm misunderstanding or something.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that is what the vast majority of unschoolers look like.

Go to an unschooler conference, or read a book about unschooling written by Rue Kream, watch a video by Dayna Martin, or read the lists and forums run by people like Sandra Dodd and Joyce Fetterholl. They will talk about (over and over again) unlimited TV and video games, no bedtimes, no chores, and why a kid who can't read at age twelve can be seen as a good thing.

So yes, whether it's good or bad or somewhere in-between, that's really what unschooling looks like, and really what the vast, vast majority of unschoolers promote.

Jenny

Yes, somebody finally taught her, but she is just floating through life. She's 18 now, not in college, doesn't have a job. She posts youtube videos and blog entries.

Oh, I wonder if that is who I'm thinking of ... don't want to post names of kids here.

A couple weeks ago I saw a well-known unschooler's daughter on a video clip talking about unschooling. It was posted on an unschooling blog or something.

It struck me as a strange "talk." I wasn't sure what the point of it was, or why they were even posting it. It basically amounted to how other people she met responded about the fact that she doesn't go to school. She said things like, "People think I dropped out, but I'll tell them, No, I've never been to school ... and then some people say, Oh, that really sucks! and then other people will say That's really cool! ..."

Some people wrote in the comment section things like, "What is this girl doing, or planning to do?" (She said in the clip that she had no plans to go to college, and there was nothing in the clip indicating what her interests or plans or anything were.)

The mother posted back that "it was hard to explain your life in a three minute video," and then proudly talked about what her daughter (age 17 or 18) was doing:

She was going to stay with some friends in another state for a while. Then she was going to stay with some other friends for a while, soon after that. She had been doing some housesitting, feeding the neighbor's cats, that kind of thing. The mother even said something like, "How many teenagers do YOU know that would be entrusted with the keys to someone's house?" as if it was this great, unusually impressive thing that an 18 year old was feeding a neighbor's cat.

That floored me. That's their choice, I guess, if they want to live like that, but it seemed like such a bizarre thing to post about proudly, as sort of "proof" of how great unschooling is.

It's just a very, very different way of looking at life, and goals, and success, then most people have.

Jenny

Is anyone else troubled that the media has been covering radical unschoolers under the guise of "homeschooling"? Has it always been in the media and I just haven't noticed?

I know plenty of people who unschool to a degree. It's not for me, but I think it is because of parenting style, not necessarily an educational one. I have trouble accepting what this video represents as anything other than a different parenting philosophy - and can't for the life of me understand how it represents "schooling" in any way. The lines are a bit blurred, imo.

I know plenty of people who unschool to a degree. It's not for me, but I think it is because of parenting style, not necessarily an educational one. I have trouble accepting what this video represents as anything other than a different parenting philosophy - and can't for the life of me understand how it represents "schooling" in any way. The lines are a bit blurred, imo.

Yes. I remember having a conversation early in our hs'ing life with the mom of a boy I was hoping to buddy with my son. She called herself a radical unschooler. When I mentioned that my son was quiet, she told me abruptly that they'd never get along then, because her son was "out of control." She said it as if she were proud of it. That was the last time we talked as neither of us wanted to pursue a friendship.

Edited by Mejane

And she doesn't necessarily think they need to mind their Ps and Qs.

Ok, aren't apostrophes missing here??? What happens then? A kitten is born???

There is a group of us who have decided not to use an apostrophe for ANY plurals including Ps and Qs and ABCs :) I read somewhere that it is acceptable. Hopefully, it'll become mainstream!

There is a group of us who have decided not to use an apostrophe for ANY plurals including Ps and Qs and ABCs :) I read somewhere that it is acceptable. Hopefully, it'll become mainstream!

Actually, the very ancient English teacher under whom I st taught insisted that w/out the apostrophe was the only right way. I looked it up at the time, & while apostrophes have become acceptable (accd to the source I read, don't remember), w/out is really the One. True. Correct. Way.

It took a LONG time for me to get used to seeing them that way. :lol:

I thought it worth mentioning that Dayna has responded to her family's ABC coverage. It can be found on her blog:

http://thesparklingmartins.blogspot.com/2010/06/nightline-truth.html

I know that unschooling and radical unschooling are not for everyone. But please, do NOT call radical unschooling: unparenting. That sounds like children are neglected. And this could not be farther from what I see in radical unschooling families. (Neglect, I realize will be defined differently by all.)

Someone above, mentioned an unschooler who doesn't seem to have any direction and has vid's on youtube. Hey, I know classical homeschoolers who do the same. And not. I know public schoolers who do the same. And not.

Unschooling, in general, looks different in every family. I can imagine RU does too. You will see some RU families that you think are complete failures and others you think "Wow, they did great with their kids." Same as with any homeschooler/public schooler. There is good and bad in all categories depending what your definition of "good" and "bad" are. That may look a bit different to each individual, too.

There are quite a number of great examples of successful adults who were unschoolers, and radical unschoolers (probably didn't have that name way back then...) You can find their blogs or websites. Some live among us and we don't even know it! :001_smile:

We are all bucking the public school system by choosing to keep our kids at home. That in itself is a challenge. Let's support each other and respect the choices we each make for our family.

That's what I figured. "I'm shocked, shocked! that there is gambling going on!"

Some in media wonder why we don't trust them.

I agree with the person who posted on the blog that Dayna took one for the team.

I thought it worth mentioning that Dayna has responded to her family's ABC coverage. It can be found on her blog:

http://thesparklingmartins.blogspot.com/2010/06/nightline-truth.html

I know that unschooling and radical unschooling are not for everyone. But please, do NOT call radical unschooling: unparenting. That sounds like children are neglected. And this could not be farther from what I see in radical unschooling families. (Neglect, I realize will be defined differently by all.)

Someone above, mentioned an unschooler who doesn't seem to have any direction and has vid's on youtube. Hey, I know classical homeschoolers who do the same. And not. I know public schoolers who do the same. And not.

Unschooling, in general, looks different in every family. I can imagine RU does too. You will see some RU families that you think are complete failures and others you think "Wow, they did great with their kids." Same as with any homeschooler/public schooler. There is good and bad in all categories depending what your definition of "good" and "bad" are. That may look a bit different to each individual, too.

There are quite a number of great examples of successful adults who were unschoolers, and radical unschoolers (probably didn't have that name way back then...) You can find their blogs or websites. Some live among us and we don't even know it! :001_smile:

We are all bucking the public school system by choosing to keep our kids at home. That in itself is a challenge. Let's support each other and respect the choices we each make for our family.