Menu

Where have all the good books gone??

I was at the bookstore the other day looking for some books to give to my dd for her birthday. I noticed a strange trend in the books on the shelf: they were all either about ghosts or vampires. Also, a lot of sci-fi. What has happened to variety?? I don't want my 7-yr-old reading that stuff. I can just imagine the many nights we would be up from the nightmares!

Have you run into the same problem? Where do you find your good books? We do have a wonderful library, so we are there often. I just wanted to get her some that she could put her name on, you know?

Have you run into the same problem? Where do you find your good books? We do have a wonderful library, so we are there often. I just wanted to get her some that she could put her name on, you know?

I never buy books at the bookstore. . .if I want new, it's Amazon, if I don't care if it's new, I use Paperbackswap or Bookmooch. I've gotten so many great books from the book swap sites.

I know, browsing bookstores is useless these days.

That is why I love Truthquest - because of the OOP historical fiction and nonfiction recommendations. We've found many favorite authors through that curriculum.

For fiction, I like Jan Bloom's booklists - Who Should We Then Read vol 1 and vol 2 (I only have the 1rst). She tells you about wonderful authors and lists all their books. I've found many new authors through that book. She also lists oop bio serieslike Landmark, Signature etc.

http://www.booksbloom.com/Ordering_Books_and_CD_s.htm

Edited by LNC

I bought many, many good children's books in the early years of our homeschooling. That would be the mid-1990s, before the market for quality children's literature had deteriorated so far. I dislike the children's sections in bookstores today. (and do I ever [!] dislike the "young adult" sections ! !)

The "book lists" books are of great help. We own several such.

Did read the recent thread about eliminating books from the home library? Somebody posted the hope -- naive, I fear -- that the "good books" always would be available for sale, or through the libraries. I don't agree with that hope at all.

Are things really any different than when I was a kid in the 1970s and early 1980s? I certainly remember there being a fair bit of fluff on the shelves then.

Of course, the further away in time we get from a time period, the less likely the fluff is to survive.

Of course, I also view science fiction as a genre with many good books in it.

I agree the market for "good" books for kids has gotten much smaller (at our B&N, the classics are confined to a small center display), but I think it's an overall scenario. I was amazed when I went into a used-book store recently. One entire wall was covered with thousands of paperback bodice-rippers. Really, what sort of example are adults setting if we're reading that cr*p? (general we)

I noticed the same thing when I was at Borders the other week; everything in the young reader's section was all vampires, etc. When I went to Books-A-Million, though, they had a BUNCH of good 'old' books on the shelves. I've been buying DS the "Indian in the Cupboard" series one book at a time because he devours them and loves them for special treats, and I can find them at Books-A-Million without having to order online. Haven't been to B&N to see what their selection is like, but I suspect it is something akin to Border's.

Then again, I do love Books-A-Million because they don't question the homeschooler on getting a teacher discount card (or what you buy with it) and they have a whole section of books that they resell for libraries or other places that are discarding. AND they have whole tables of classics for really cheap. Well worth it if there is one in your area.

I think building a good home library is SO essential. It is very disturbing to see the trend in young adult literature. I am not against fantasy and sci-Fi, in fact it is my eldest DD's favorite genre but she reads it in combination with many other well written books as well. I think too much of any one thing is not good.

I have a lot of classic literature in my home library so while she recently finished The Hunger Games books, she has now just finished up Little Women and is deep into Lord of the Rings right now.

Oh, this is so true! We are going for 'series' books, and my oldest daughter really likes the Trailblazer series (about missionaries, etc) for adventure, but you're right. There's really not much out there unless you're into American Girls. We can't afford that! Amazon at least has cheaper used books.

I did like the book 'Honey for a Child's Heart' for book recommendations.

I have run into the same problem at the big box stores. Our Borders store stocks more toys than books in the children's section these days.

If you have any independent book stores in your area, give them a try. We have several really wonderful indies in our area, and the folks working there *really* care about the books they sell. The selection is always better even though some of them can't stock the same volume as the big guys.

I've had the same experience. The bookstore in my last city kept the quality children's literature in a different section (called "classics" but it included current publications as well). Weird, but helpful! :) In our new city? Forget the new-book bookstores, but I am hoping to check out some of the used ones. Otherwise, Amazon and ebay, it is! :)

I never buy books at the bookstore. . .if I want new, it's Amazon, if I don't care if it's new, I use Paperbackswap or Bookmooch. I've gotten so many great books from the book swap sites.

:iagree:Along with Paperbackswap and Bookmooch I also use Swaptree.

Y'all are depressing me (and encouraging me to build my home library!)....

I get most our books from the library, but maybe I should buy.

A lot of the kids my boys go to karate classes with are reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and the Chicken Nugget Boy books. My boys have not read these books. I haven't looked at the Chicken Nugget books but the Wimpy Kid books are not for my family.

Chain bookstores are pretty much worthless for kids' books. We buy at used book shops, library sales and online. We get ideas of what to look for from history curricula like Veritas, SOTW etc. and from book list books. The book lists generated on this forum are fabulous. If one were to print them all, it would be a hot-selling resource among HSers!

I will admit that we read some of that fluff :). My 12yo was a late reader, and I was thrilled when she started reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.

You know the thing that REALLY bothers me about our local Borders? The kids section has been taken over by toys, games, and craft kits. They used to have several bookcases of science books. Now one has science books and the other two are stuffed with kits. :glare:

Maybe the issue is box stores? Or maybe my area is unusual?

I happened to be in our local bookstore (which is independently owned). I made a point of scouting out the juvenile section. It's a small section (small store overall), but in among the more modern books, I noticed A Bear Called Paddington, Skylark, The Secret Garden and The Little Princess, The Great Brain, and several other similar books of similar quality whose titles are now escaping me. And I only glanced at a shelf or two.

There are some lovely books out there, but in chain stores, they are not going to be featured. They think parents will only buy cartoon books.

These not-dead great authors quickly come to mind:

Avi

Katie DiCamillo

Shirely Hughes

Eva Ibbotson

Cynthia Rylant

Dick King Smith

And while I enjoy JK Rowling (She Who Must Not Be Named), Eion Colfer (Artemis Fowl, among others), Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game), Suzanne Collins (Overlander), Rick Riordon (Percy Jackson), I am not including them in the above list.

Find an independant bookseller and you will find a lover of good books who will help. Make the owner your friend. :) You also cannot go wrong being nice to a good children's librarian. A good one is worth his/her weight in gold. The YA person at our local library is a gem of a guy.

Edited by LibraryLover

Our bookstores, even Borders, still sells the typical children's lit -- Sign of the Beaver, Cricket in Times Square, Strawberry Girl, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Hobbit, etc.

What is lacking are the history and science departments -- I mean, shelves. I have more history and science books for children in my house than they do in their store! So many of the great history and science books are sadly out of print.

Y'all are depressing me (and encouraging me to build my home library!)....

Go for it!

It was one of my "requirements" when we were looking at houses - I love our home office/library - it's nice for size and walls of shelves! Now that I've totally filled the shelves, I'm moving on to one of the rooms downstairs - currently looking for shelves for DS's playroom and then the other room down there is fair game when his playroom starts to overflow with books!

Go for it!

It was one of my "requirements" when we were looking at houses - I love our home office/library - it's nice for size and walls of shelves! Now that I've totally filled the shelves, I'm moving on to one of the rooms downstairs - currently looking for shelves for DS's playroom and then the other room down there is fair game when his playroom starts to overflow with books!

Ikea ! Our favorite solution now for affordable shelving. We designed a setting for the MBR last year, and it looks as if built-ins had come with the house.

Go for it!

The problem (?!) is that DH and I are voracious readers and book collectors so we are buckling under books as it is. I've filled DD's bookcase in her room (smaller, but still four shelves) with books and I'm always on the hunt. It's just disappointing that the big box stores are headed down such a "fluffy" road.

Just found out the Half Price Books here near me is GINORMOUS (real word, honest!). Can't wait to check it out, but I need to save a little more laundry money first (I get whatever I find in DH's pockets when I'm doing laundry and usually use it for books - you'd be surprised how much I "earn" that way!

Sigh!

I was just in B&N (a few hours away from home) and thought they had some great fiction books. I found many of our HOD read-alouds for next year. My biggest complaint is that when you walk into the children's section, my DC are bombarded with the not-so-good books...tables and tables of them set out to catch their eye. The good ones are buried on back shelves. I agree that their non-fiction sections are pretty sad. I buy most of our books online or from used bookstores. The last time I was in Waldenbooks, I was disgusted. Their entire kids department was filled with cartoon character books, dragons, and Egyptology...that was it. :sad:

;) I order virtually all my books online. That way I can get exactly what I want.

I sometimes buy books at Library book sales. Sometimes I find a small book publishing company that I will buy from directly when I have the money. For instance, Johannesen Printing and Publishing, which is a small family owned company that specializes in printing and hand-binding George MacDonald books. More expensive than Amazon, but worth saving up for to give as gifts to my kids.

Maybe its a U.S. thing...I quite like going to our local bookstore. There is an adult section for classics, and a children's classics section too (where things like Narnia, Pippi Longstocking, etc are). They have staff recommendations stuck along the shelves.

The frustrating part for me is that I know that amongst all these new books that are being published, I know there must be some that are actually worth reading...I just dont know which ones! I am very fussy about what I read, especially fiction. I love fantasy/sci fi but if it hasnt been strongly recommended, or I dont get hooked in the first 30 pages...I give up and go back to my stack of non fiction, which I tend to skim read.

I have run into the same problem at the big box stores. Our Borders store stocks more toys than books in the children's section these days.

Here's why:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704448304575196172206855634.html

I noticed this too, when I went into Barnes & Noble -- the store I visited had a large toy section. I was surprised to see that.

There are many US book chains in malls or strip malls. The indie book stores tend to not be in those high rent areas. The best bookstores are often in lower rent parts of the city, in little corners, or in areas that don't have malls. Conversely, some of the most fantastic book stores are in $$ urban or resort areas. One of the best bookstores on the planet (imo) is on Martha's Vineyard. Takes some dough to get there, kwim? lol The Barnes & Noble shops are pretty good where I am, although I hear not so good in other areas. We have our share of Junie B., but at least here you can find Redwall etc. I think it really depends on the area.

We are very lucky to have a brilliant indie bookseller family in our town. They showcase titles that B & N wouldn't bother considering.

Maybe its a U.S. thing...I quite like going to our local bookstore. There is an adult section for classics, and a children's classics section too (where things like Narnia, Pippi Longstocking, etc are). They have staff recommendations stuck along the shelves.

The frustrating part for me is that I know that amongst all these new books that are being published, I know there must be some that are actually worth reading...I just dont know which ones! I am very fussy about what I read, especially fiction. I love fantasy/sci fi but if it hasnt been strongly recommended, or I dont get hooked in the first 30 pages...I give up and go back to my stack of non fiction, which I tend to skim read.

Here's why:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704448304575196172206855634.html

I noticed this too, when I went into Barnes & Noble -- the store I visited had a large toy section. I was surprised to see that.

I don't doubt that eBooks have contributed, but we noticed a shift in Borders' children's selection quite a while before the Kindle, Nook and Sony Readers made an appearance.

The same thing happened about 10 or 12 years ago at one of our favorite toy stores. Remember Zany Brainy?

Smart toys, incredible book selection, knowledgeable staff.

I don't know what happened to them, but they slowly replaced their books with junk toys and baby products.

Their toy department eventually changed, too, and before long they closed the doors.

I recently read that. I thought it was a great artcile. Booktores must change to stay alive. I don't know that younger readers are going to need that physical sensation of cracking open a new book. I know it seems sad, but producing books is a waste of resources, and reading on a screen is no less fabulous than reading words on paper. We foggies might not like every little thing digital, but it makes sense.

Our inide book seller is a community gem...yes, people do buy books, but they more often go for the talks & lectures, the poetry readings, the knitting groups. The tea, the coffee, the muffins & scones, the local writers. A mall chain won't be able to manage this, but a bookstore tucked away downtown might.

So yk, I do chuckle when people complain their kids are spending 'too much time' on line. It's where it is. The books are there, the newspapers are there, the amazing graphic art is there. Time marches on.

I don't doubt that eBooks have contributed, but we noticed a shift in Borders' children's selection quite a while before the Kindle, Nook and Sony Readers made an appearance.

The same thing happened about 10 or 12 years ago at one of our favorite toy stores. Remember Zany Brainy?

I don't know what happened to them, but they slowly replaced their books with junk toys and baby products.

Their toy department eventually changed, too, and before long they closed the doors.

Edited by LibraryLover

I loved Zany Brainy!

Just thinking some more about this. Bookstores are in business to make money, not to keep the classics available. A better question would be, perhaps, how many random kids your kids meet are reading the L. Frank Baum, E. Nesbitt, Thornton Burgess, or even The Phanton Tollbooth?

The bookstores are going to stock what sells. I feel the same way when I go into Toys R Us. One aisle of Playmobil is all they have!

Truthfully, Ben was far more interested in the Legos Borders was selling than the books. Nathan had a terrible time choosing a book to buy with his gift card (it doesn't help that we already own thousands, LOL).

Shirely Hughes

Eva Ibbotson

Cynthia Rylant

Dick King Smith

The reading levels of the books vary but they are almost all sweet and well written. Hobbes loved the Sophie books in particular. And Shirley Hughes is lovely for youngers.

Laura

I'll post a little secret I've been keeping for a few years in order to give Linda some more business. Linda buys books from library sales and then resells them. Her prices are rock bottom - I can't believe she makes much of a profit. Sometimes she takes a while to ship them (and on top of that it is media mail) out but be patient - I have bought books from her many, many times and there has never been a problem.

Linda's Used Books

http://www.doubledouble.net/books.htm

Bunch of Grapes, right in Vineyard Haven.

It's 'touristy', and they sell 'stuff' beyond books, but it's a wonderful bookstore.

www.bunchofgrapes.com

I also love Edgartown Books.

www.edgartownbooks.net

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Great White North viewpost.gif

Name? Address?

I have to go to a wedding on Martha's Vineyard in June. A great bookstore could make the trip worthwhile!

Thank you!