Menu

What do you pay for piano lessons?

:lurk5: :bigear:

When we began looking for a piano teacher, we found cost ranged anywhere from $10-$35 per half hour. My girls had never played at all and we weren't even sure if they would like it/practice/stick with it, etc. So we went with the $10 per half hour teacher which is a 16yo hs'ed girl. My girls love it and are playing pretty good already:D And she is in our neighborhood which is a huge bonus.

Paying a child or teen ? I would seek an adult teacher, to be honest. The young person may be an excellent musician, but he still is an early student himself. I would not go for younger than a graduate student at a nearby university.

I was that gifted piano student whom you describe. One summer, my teacher was called out of state, and she left a number of her younger students to my teaching. As an adult, I know how foolish that was, and I'm sorry that I accepted the task.

During the summer, our piano teacher gives private lessons at $15 for 1/2 hour. During the school year, she does group lessons at a lower rate. I have heard of others say that their teacher charges $25 for a half-hour private lesson.

When we began looking for a piano teacher, we found cost ranged anywhere from $10-$35 per half hour. My girls had never played at all and we weren't even sure if they would like it/practice/stick with it, etc. So we went with the $10 per half hour teacher which is a 16yo hs'ed girl. My girls love it and are playing pretty good already:D And she is in our neighborhood which is a huge bonus.

How many days per week?

I'm considering placing dd in lessons, possibly with another home school child that is an amazing pianist. Can you suggest a price for me? I have no idea what the going rate is, nor what to offer to this young man.

Going rate seems to be $20 up to about $30 for a 1/2 hour lesson. We're in a major metro area. I wouldn't pay probably more than $12 though for someone with no experience teaching. Our teacher is in his 60's and has a doctorate in music performance.

We pay $8 for a half hour lesson from an adult woman in our neighborhood. We're out in the country though so that must make a difference - I can't believe some of the prices shown in this thread. Our teacher is a lovely woman in her forties who plays for her church and a singing group. She's not a classical pianist by any means but she is giving my kids a love for music and piano and that's what counts at this point. My 8yods was very relunctant to start but now loves piano.

I think $10 - $15/half hour is reasonable - I wouldn't pay more than that unless it was with someone who is experienced in teaching piano lessons.

FWIW - I don't see anything wrong with taking lessons from a HS Student. I think taking "fun" lessons is a great way to let your dd see if she wants to pursue more formal lessons. My dd took informal fun lessons (learning notes playing simple songs, no scales or theory) for two years, she is now taking very formal lessons, learning classical music, composer history, music theory... Honestly, if she had started out with our current teacher, I'm not sure if she would still be playing.

Edited to Add - I pay $20/half hour for our current lessons (actually I paid the same for our "fun" lessons (with an experienced teacher), but we were living in Hawaii then and everything is more expensive there!)

Edited by Sweetest

How many days per week?

We do one day a week but may bump up to two days during the summer. My girls are really learning a lot and enjoying it. Which is really all I care about:)

No problems getting them to practice and in their free time, they dig through my dh's music books looking for new songs to play...gotta LOVE that!

When I was in high school and just beginning to teach piano about 17 years ago, (Oh, my that sound old) I charged $8-$10/30 min. lesson. I think $12 as some have suggested is reasonable for this young man, as he is just starting out and is inexperienced in teaching. (That's $24/hr., pretty great wage for a high school kid!) The cost of lessons really varies from region to region. I'm charging $20/30 min. with a master's degree, though I know many teacher's with less credentials/experience charging more. We pay $100/month for dd's violin.

I paid $10/30 minute lesson to a graduate student a few years ago. He was amazing... wish he was still available.

We just switched from group lessons (approximately $12/ 1 hour), but my son only received 15 minutes of 1-1 time with the teacher.

Now, I pay $25/30 minutes for a piano teacher who is a trained concert pianist. I gagged a bit when I heard her prices, but I have to remember that teaching piano is also her livelihood.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. For a first-time teacher, I would offer $10-15/30 minutes.

Another thing that I have discovered that I like is setting a time-frame for the length of lessons. For example, we switched teachers, but only for the summer until our regular teacher comes back. I dislike having to tell my kid's teachers that I am no longer going to have them take lessons from them. So, if I set up lessons for only three months, then I can evaluate whether or not I like the teacher at the end of the three months. I want to explain this better, but time is short and babies are crying.

We pay $15/lesson/week for an amazing teacher who has a pedagogy degree in music from Toronto, I think. She give us a $5 discount on our third child. I'm hoping to find another teacher who will motivate my dc the way this one has!!!

My dd14 teaches an 8 yo for $8/lesson/week. This is her first student (the job just kind of fell in her lap through church) and she only wanted $5/lesson, but the parents felt that was too low. She has the support and help of her current teacher who offers suggestions and is allowing my dd's student to participate in her recital in June.

$20-$30 a lesson is pretty typical here. Remember that if a teacher is doing this as her full-time job, she's paying taxes and her own benefits out of what you're paying her.

If the rate is more than you can easily afford for a good teacher, ask about bartering-many teachers will reduce their rates or take your DC for free if you can help out in some way. I'd LOVE to find someone who would talk to my DD in Spanish while I taught their kids piano-and would consider that an even exchange.

We pay on the higher side of the range, b/c we take at a local music school. I think it ends up being between $22 and $25 for a 30 min lesson. I think the school is more expensive b/c we're paying for all the extra expenses to run it, but the benefits are weekly computer/theory time and lots of recital opportunities. Also, all my kids can take at the same place even though they do different instruments.

My son goes to a conservatory so we pay more. It's $116 a month for 11 months (no payment in December) and you get 44 private lessons per year. So it works out to $29 a 30 minute lesson.

One huge plus is all scheduling is online so we can give 24 hour notice we won't make it if we have vacation or my son is sick and then we will get to make up the lesson. We've only been doing this since March, we like it so far.

I pay 12.50 for my first daughter , and half that for my second. They take piano lessons once a week, 30 minutes each time. Their teacher is awesome! She told me most people here in PHX charge up to 30 dollars a lesson. Shew!

So I end up paying 75 dollars a month for both girls. Pretty good deal ,after I have seen some prices ! :)

Good luck finding a teacher!

-Lindsay

My two dd's take back to back lessons at our house. The teacher charges $7-15 for gas depending on where you live (we pay $7). The total for one month of lessons, 4 half hours each is $127.00. So that comes out to, $15 a lesson.

To me, finding a teacher that works with your child's personality is more important than cost. When we first started, I paid $130 a month for my oldest alone! This was for a woman that was in her 70's and was a professional concert pianist. She only took new students after evaluating talent. My oldest has a natural musical ability, and can play several instruments by ear. In the year she took from her, learned nothing from her and cried over piano. We switched to our current teacher and we are in love! Oldest has been taking from her for 3 years, and is losing interest, but loves her so much she wants to stick with it. That makes it so much easier on DH and I, because we don't have to insist she continue.

A teacher they love makes all the difference in the world.

HTH!

Dorinda

I also wanted to mention, since you homeschool, there might be teachers willing to give you a discount for doing lessons during the day. There were a couple of teachers around here that did that. Our teacher comes out to our house at 2:00, which is why I think she gives us the cheaper gas price.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Dd12's lessons are $15/30 min. lesson once a week. Her teacher has a Master's degree in Music Education. I commented on the low fee once, and she said she had always charged that and has never considered changing it. She started a homeschool orchestra and band program which is fairly big now. Dd12 tried to add cello in for a while but decided to stick with her private piano lessons and perhaps pick up a 2nd instrument next school year.

$30 half hour once a week. Dd uses 4 books, including theory, technique, and two song books. Her teacher has her doctorate and is our minister of music at our parish--she even wrote a hymn for the hymnal, which is a huge indication of her skill and reputation. We are really blessed.

Two of my kids take from a teacher who has a music ed degree and has been teaching for 30 years. She charges 12 per 1/2 hour lesson.

Two of my other kids take from the local University's director of the Piano Pedagogy Department. She, also, has been teaching for 30 years, and she trains piano teachers for a living. We pay $400 per semester per student, which includes lessons, music, Federation and Guild fees, etc. Her summer lessons are $25 per 1/2 hour lesson. It roughly costs $1000 per year per student, but so worth it for the two who show alot of promise musically. They truly play beautifully.

I do think you get what you pay for as far as lessons, but I do not think beginning students, or students who just don't love it need expesnsive lessons. It varies greatly from area to area, and in urban areas, what we pay would be a bargain. I don't think I would pay a student or unexperienced teacher more than 10-12 a lesson.

Edited by Marie in Oh

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We have a homeschooled teen teaching my ds9 piano and we love her. She charges $9 for a half hour lesson. We pay the first of the month, $36 for 4 weeks or $45for 5 weeks.

My boys each take a 30 minute lesson once a week. I pay $19 per person per lesson. It is more for the 45 min and 60 min lessons.

She has regular recitals (almost monthly), guild performances (these are extra) and such. I think it's a great price.

She also teaches music theory and music appreciation at the college level and plays in public performances.

Edited by nestof3

Great topic. Just today I had a huge discussion going on my Facebook status with all my music teacher and mommy friends about whether or not music lessons are worth the money.

Around here I am finding $25-$35 per half hour to be standard and I just won't pay it. My husband and I have no musical ability whatsoever, although his sister has a Master's degree in piano... Unfortunately she lives in CHINA so she's not available to teach my kids! Since my husband and I lead perfectly fulfilling lives without any concept of how to play, I figure it's not important enough for me to stretch the budget for. I think that makes me a horrible mother, but I'm not sure.... ;)

I certainly don't think it makes you a bad mom for not giving your children music lessons, and we wouldn't do it if we couldn't afford it. I don't play any instrument at all, and my husband and eldest taught themselves to play guitar. Our eldest also taught himself the penny whistle. He took piano for a couple of years. They are both very musically inclined.

We just really wanted our boys to learn on a piano first. For us, it has been worth it, but it's in the budget. You have to make decisions based on your personal situation.

Great topic. Just today I had a huge discussion going on my Facebook status with all my music teacher and mommy friends about whether or not music lessons are worth the money.

Around here I am finding $25-$35 per half hour to be standard and I just won't pay it. My husband and I have no musical ability whatsoever, although his sister has a Master's degree in piano... Unfortunately she lives in CHINA so she's not available to teach my kids! Since my husband and I lead perfectly fulfilling lives without any concept of how to play, I figure it's not important enough for me to stretch the budget for. I think that makes me a horrible mother, but I'm not sure.... ;)

We pay $20 per half hour, and both of my older daughters take lessons. Their teacher is a homeschooled 14 year old young lady who is quite gifted at playing and teaching. It helps that her father is an organist and music teacher, as well.

My oldest daughter started with a more formal piano teacher who rushed her to start competing, and it backfired to the point where my daughter lost her confidence and became overly nervous at the thought of playing piano. Switching to her current teacher has been wonderful because the learning process is far more relaxed and enjoyable. She gets doses of music history and theory in her lessons because her teacher lives and breathes music, and is just a cheerful young woman who loves to share her unique gift. As a bonus, both of my daughters get to see a real, live example of an older homeschooled girl who is a model of politeness and intelligence.

As an amateur musician (never finished the music degree I started years ago), I wouldn't always equal higher advanced degrees with great teaching ability. I know some teachers who have their doctorates in music who are lousy instructors, and some "regular" folks who seemed to magically and effortlessly get musical knowledge from their brain to mine. :D

We pay $15 for a half hour lesson if the teacher comes to our home, $10 if we go to hers.

During the school year, she comes by our house on the way to teach at a local private school. Her (destructive) children are home during the summer, and I'd rather not have all four of them at my house. They can do a lot of damage in half an hour!

Everything is more expensive in California including piano lessons.

I pay $70 for 90min. (30 min.for 1 child and 60 min. for 1 child).

You get what you pay for. I think you should consider your child's goals and your goals before you plunk down your dollars. If your child wants to just noodle around, find a teacher that promotes that type of playing. If your child thinks they want to perform in public and compete, then you want to look for a teacher that will groom your child for that level of playing. If you're luck, you will find a teacher that will bring out a love of music regardless of the type of playing, so I'd shop around and sit in on some lessons and compare styles of teaching before arriving at a conclusion. $ charged does not =good teaching.

Everything is more expensive in California including piano lessons.

I pay $70 for 90min. (30 min.for 1 child and 60 min. for 1 child).

You get what you pay for. I think you should consider your child's goals and your goals before you plunk down your dollars. If your child wants to just noodle around, find a teacher that promotes that type of playing. If your child thinks they want to perform in public and compete, then you want to look for a teacher that will groom your child for that level of playing. If you're luck, you will find a teacher that will bring out a love of music regardless of the type of playing, so I'd shop around and sit in on some lessons and compare styles of teaching before arriving at a conclusion. $ charged does not =good teaching.

I agree. I pay $40.00 for 30 minute lessons for my oldest, also in California. This teacher is highly qualified and talented as well as an excellent educator. She is perfect for this particular child in terms of teaching style, musical background and future goals. She had a different teacher for many years and we interviewed 3 other teachers before we found this one. She was the best by far of all of them. The others were charging between $30.00 and $35.00 for 30 minutes.