Menu

Mom gives birth WHILE driving

Did you see this story? They said it happened Wednesday.

Anyway, pregnant mom in labor is driving down the interstate at 70 when her water broke and she felt pressure. Not knowing what to do, she put the car in cruise control, pushed the seat back, and handed the wheel to her hubby who was in the passenger seat. She delivered the baby and continued driving to the hospital with the baby in her lap. That's a FAST delivery!

Dad wasn't driving because he has history of seizures.

Did you see this story? They said it happened Wednesday.

Anyway, pregnant mom in labor is driving down the interstate at 70 when her water broke and she felt pressure. Not knowing what to do, she put the car in cruise control, pushed the seat back, and handed the wheel to her hubby who was in the passenger seat. She delivered the baby and continued driving to the hospital with the baby in her lap. That's a FAST delivery!

Dad wasn't driving because he has history of seizures.

WOW! That's incredible! :001_huh:

In the time it took to get her pants down, push the seat back and hit cruise - couldn't she have pulled over?:confused:

Oh well. Glad the baby is healthy and fine and she has such a happy attitude about it!:tongue_smilie:

I've had really fast labors like that - no fun at all.

la la la la la

I can't hear you!

~Carrie, who is getting very paranoid about getting to the hospital an hour+ away... with a dh who works an hour+ from the other direction... in December... with a 4x history of going 7cm to baby in under 15 minutes... and doesn't know how to work the cruise control, lol!

la la la la la

I can't hear you!

~Carrie, who is getting very paranoid about getting to the hospital an hour+ away... with a dh who works an hour+ from the other direction... in December... with a 4x history of going 7cm to baby in under 15 minutes... and doesn't know how to work the cruise control, lol!

I've had those same fears!! LOL

And all the other kids screaming in the backseats too right?

might depend on the traffic conditions, perhaps?

Oh I'm not doubting her! If she felt she couldn't pull over, then I believe her. Heck, she might have just lost a marble or two while having a mini-freak out and this was actually great thinking considering the stress.:D

I'm just remembering how far away my knees always seemed conpared to the urgency to pee when I was 9 months pregnant and thinking this had to be way worse than that!;)

In the time it took to get her pants down, push the seat back and hit cruise - couldn't she have pulled over?:confused:

You know, I assumed it was traffic conditions or something that prevented pulling over, but that's not what it looked like after watching the clip. At 70mph...that wasn't safer than pulling over. That was insane. And she's talking like she thinks it's cool or funny or something.

If dh couldn't *drive* the car, he couldn't *steer* the car, either. *What if* he'd had a seizure?

Ok, so it's a fast birth, she's not thinking, whatever. But then...you don't just *keep* driving! The baby needs a carseat at the very least. An ambulance should have been called. Something should have been done differently!

They're fine, & that's good. But there sometimes seems to be...I don't know...a competition among women w/ regard to birth stories. Maybe like men w/ war stories? ;) Anyway, there seems to be this idea that if one woman can do something, more women should be able to do the same. That's why there are the stories of women squatting in rice fields or the Alamo or whatever, giving birth, & then picking up their guns, hoes, shovels, & going back to work.

This was *not* a story to emulate or laugh about. And the anchorwoman who commented on the fact that she did it w/out an epidural? What on earth? What if this woman had killed someone? It's an amazing birth story & completely irresponsible behavior.

You know, I assumed it was traffic conditions or something that prevented pulling over, but that's not what it looked like after watching the clip. At 70mph...that wasn't safer than pulling over. That was insane. And she's talking like she thinks it's cool or funny or something.

If dh couldn't *drive* the car, he couldn't *steer* the car, either. *What if* he'd had a seizure?

Ok, so it's a fast birth, she's not thinking, whatever. But then...you don't just *keep* driving! The baby needs a carseat at the very least. An ambulance should have been called. Something should have been done differently!

They're fine, & that's good. But there sometimes seems to be...I don't know...a competition among women w/ regard to birth stories. Maybe like men w/ war stories? ;) Anyway, there seems to be this idea that if one woman can do something, more women should be able to do the same. That's why there are the stories of women squatting in rice fields or the Alamo or whatever, giving birth, & then picking up their guns, hoes, shovels, & going back to work.

This was *not* a story to emulate or laugh about. And the anchorwoman who commented on the fact that she did it w/out an epidural? What on earth? What if this woman had killed someone? It's an amazing birth story & completely irresponsible behavior.

WHOA Nellie! I doubt many of us would've done the smart thing at that point. You never know what you'll REALLY do until you're in the moment. :lol:

:iagree: Thank God she didn't have a head-on collision and wrap the newborn around the steering wheel.

:iagree:

Um. Hard to put in a carseat when you are attached by an umbilical cord?

If they were close to the hospital, it may have made since to just go on to the hospital.

Maybe she handled the pain well. I've had some blessed deliveries that really weren't all that bad. (I've also had some that ripped blood curling screams that would've halted traffic.)

I wouldn't say irresponsible based only on that clip.

Yet.

WHOA Nellie! I doubt many of us would've done the smart thing at that point. You never know what you'll REALLY do until you're in the moment. :lol:

This.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that there were major brain farts clouding judgement.

On a lighter note, can you imagine the look on some poor trucker or kid in a minivan in traffic next to them looking out the window at seeing that?!

This.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that there were major brain farts clouding judgement.

On a lighter note, can you imagine the look on some poor trucker or kid in a minivan in traffic next to them looking out the window at seeing that?!

:001_huh::lol:

I might be facing a scenario akin to this in the next few weeks. I'm 36 weeks pg w/#5 and all my labors have been around 1 hour - as in no (felt) contractions, water breaks, dh breaks most land and several aviation regs driving me to hospital, baby born w/i the hour.

This time we have no one we can drop the other kids off with, especially if I go into labor at night. Nearest family is 2 hours away. Plus, given the drive time to the hospital, I'm just not sure we can afford to take the time to drop the kids off. Dh is really NOT enthused about delivering a baby.

The real difference is that dh will be driving, not me, and I realize that is not insignificant. As for calling an ambulance -- in my profession we have a hard and fast rule -- colleagues do not deliver each others' babies; colleagues do not even look down there. And trust me when I say we're normally not shy about sharing, well, anything.

This is just wrong on so many levels.

I can understand that they were driving, and she didn't expect such a fast delivery. BUT, she pulled down her pants and scooted the seat back. She knew she was delivering. She didn't say 'it was rush hour and I couldn't move over...she was going 70MPG!

If they didn't have a cell phone (not sure if they did or not) to call 911...ummm, pull over and wave down another driver.

If you don't have the money for an ambulance bill....pull over, deliver and then drive again if you have too.

It makes me wonder if it wasn't a stunt....like she delivered and they decided lets make it look like you did it while driving to get the publicity.

You would think that even if it happened and you were all out of sorts during the event and weren't thinking straight....that in the next couple of days you would realize....bad idea and not act like it was a joke on TV.

Great, now we may have a rash of drive thru baby deliveries as people think it is a great idea! Wonder at what speed the baby was concieved if they think this is a good idea.

I might be facing a scenario akin to this in the next few weeks. I'm 36 weeks pg w/#5 and all my labors have been around 1 hour - as in no (felt) contractions, water breaks, dh breaks most land and several aviation regs driving me to hospital, baby born w/i the hour.

This time we have no one we can drop the other kids off with, especially if I go into labor at night. Nearest family is 2 hours away. Plus, given the drive time to the hospital, I'm just not sure we can afford to take the time to drop the kids off. Dh is really NOT enthused about delivering a baby.

The real difference is that dh will be driving, not me, and I realize that is not insignificant. As for calling an ambulance -- in my profession we have a hard and fast rule -- colleagues do not deliver each others' babies; colleagues do not even look down there. And trust me when I say we're normally not shy about sharing, well, anything.

I don't understand your last paragraph. So, it is your own dr or nothing. That seems a bit inconvienient. Hope they don't get stuck in traffic or something else that may delay them. :confused: IF nothing else the ambulance would be a cleaner, more comfortable, and safer delivery room than a back seat.

I don't understand your last paragraph. So, it is your own dr or nothing. That seems a bit inconvienient. Hope they don't get stuck in traffic or something else that may delay them. :confused: IF nothing else the ambulance would be a cleaner, more comfortable, and safer delivery room than a back seat.

I took it as she is either an EMT or paramedic.

Well, it might make a tad more sense if I said that I am a paramedic. I am well aware of the advantages of an ambulance and have, in fact, delivered several babies, though none in the back of a moving ambulance. That's no safer than a moving car, really. We'll actually pull over for the delivery, then continue afterwards (assuming there isn't another critical problem -- airway, generally). And, no it's not my doc or bust (as it were), it's the specific hospital. Are there other hospitals we could drive to? Yes, there are and if we absolutely had to, I suppose we could/would stop at one of them. I'd prefer to try to get to the hospital I chose for various reasons.

Well, it might make a tad more sense if I said that I am a paramedic. I am well aware of the advantages of an ambulance and have, in fact, delivered several babies, though none in the back of a moving ambulance. That's no safer than a moving car, really. We'll actually pull over for the delivery, then continue afterwards (assuming there isn't another critical problem -- airway, generally). And, no it's not my doc or bust (as it were), it's the specific hospital. Are there other hospitals we could drive to? Yes, there are and if we absolutely had to, I suppose we could/would stop at one of them. I'd prefer to try to get to the hospital I chose for various reasons.

Could one of your or dh's parents come for a couple weeks prior?

I am surprised that you don't think it would be safer. If there were any complications, at least you would have someone there to assist you. Especially if there was a problem with the baby, and he needed some assistance to get out. Or if you started to hemorrhage, or have a myriad of other problems.

Am I really naive on how competent or incompetent EMTs are? I would expect they would be able to provide some level of care above a mother (granted an EMT herself) who is in the process of delivering a baby and placenta.

:001_huh: seriously? You think she just hasn't thought about who to ask?

Been in her shoes several times.

Am I really naive on how competent or incompetent EMTs are?

yes.

I wish, we asked and no one could spare the time. We've also asked various other family members. As far as friends (and leaving aside the time issue) no one was willing to let us drop the kids off -- this assumes after working hours/in the middle of the night. And during the day everyone would be at work. This isn't a decision we've arrived at lightly.

And, yes, I could take a ride and refuse treatment. That's a fairly expensive taxi ride that, if you can credit it, my health insurance wouldn't pay for. Yes, sigh, I would actually receive a bill. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul, but there ya go -- I don't get to make the policies.

So an ambulance would have been safer because a) there are paramedics who can think straight enough to pull over & b) the driver is not actively in birth.

I totally get not thinking straight in an emergency. I've been pg, lol, & I don't think straight for 9mos. AND I'm not saying that the woman should be prosecuted or anything. I'm just saying...she made a bad choice. I'd hate for the "Wow what a woman" comments to come across as praise/encouragement for similar choices. We already have so much pressure to do more & be more.

And based on what I saw on the news blip, I think *someone* should make sure she knows that's not a good plan for future births. It's too easy to overlook the potential for harm when things turn out ok.

Martha--I know she couldn't put the baby in a carseat when the umbilical cord was still attached. My point is--the umbilical cord (in this situation--a snow storm or nuclear disaster would be different)--doesn't keep that baby from flying through the window.

I'm not worried that the pain might have impeded her driving--I'm worried that she couldn't reach the brakes, couldn't steer, see the road, etc. Even if she'd had the baby fast enough that she couldn't pull over (but *could* pull her pants down & push her seat back????), she could have pulled over once the baby came instead of just driving on. At that point...there should have been some clear thinking from dad if not mom.

Fwiw, I've had deliveries that were less than 20 min, start to finish. For at least 3 out of 4, I could have driven myself to the birth center. I don't really think that's a wise plan, but I could maybe see doing it. I can't see dh or anyone else I know being ok w/ that plan. There would be intervention.

And you know, maybe it's nervous laughter we're seeing on the news report. Maybe it's hormones. But the facts of the story combined w/ her demeanor equals irresponsibility on both her part & then compounded by the reporters who spun it as a personal interest story instead of...I don't know...a reminder about the dangers of traffic, etc.

Losing a baby in a car accident just isn't cool. Killing someone else's baby because you can't think clearly enough to get off the road when you're driving isn't remotely ok with me, either.

Hey I'm not saying the lady is smart. If she could not pull over why she didn't just put the car in park with hazzard lights is beyond me.

And I am not giving her any "What a woman" stuff either.

I sure ain't feeling any pressure to one up her tale!

It could be a stunt.

I hope it was just a brain malfunction and she is simply giddy that they all lived through it.

Bc if it's a stunt?

What dumb donkeys.

la la la la la

I can't hear you!

How do you feel about homebirth?

I am surprised that you don't think it would be safer. If there were any complications, at least you would have someone there to assist you. Especially if there was a problem with the baby, and he needed some assistance to get out. Or if you started to hemorrhage, or have a myriad of other problems.

Am I really naive on how competent or incompetent EMTs are? I would expect they would be able to provide some level of care above a mother (granted an EMT herself) who is in the process of delivering a baby and placenta.

Sorry I'm getting back to this late. Duty called. I meant quite literally what I said -- a moving ambulance isn't any safer to deliver a baby in than is a moving car. The issues are rather specific to delivering babies. I've intubated, started IVs, pushed meds, pushed chest, you name it all while careening down the road. It's not necessarily safe for me as I'm not strapped in; but, it is reasonably safe for the patient.

You're right, of course, where I work medics are able to assist in difficult births and administer the appropriate meds at the appropriate times as needed. I can't speak for the entire country because protocols differ widely even between systems within the same state (at least in TX), let alone between states. I don't know about the competence or otherwise of the medics where you live. I can say that I work for one of the most progressive systems in the country, one that has been nationally recognized.

Really, my comments were meant to be taken in a light-hearted manner, although there is truth behind them. Of course, my colleagues would deliver my baby if I needed them to; they also would not be very thrilled at the prospect. Nor would I. I really don't think I can explain it. It's not that we don't or won't take care of each other -- I've taken care of several of my colleagues who were sick or had hurt themselves. Delivering a baby is a whole 'nother ball of wax, though. <sigh> It's difficult to explain. And again, the comments were just a wry, gentle poking at myself and my fellow paramedics. Sorry that didn't come through.

Great, now we may have a rash of drive thru baby deliveries as people think it is a great idea! Wonder at what speed the baby was concieved if they think this is a good idea.

I consider myself a cynic, but even I have a *teensy* bit more faith in the general population than that. But just a teensy bit.:tongue_smilie:

Really, my comments were meant to be taken in a light-hearted manner, although there is truth behind them. Of course, my colleagues would deliver my baby if I needed them to; they also would not be very thrilled at the prospect. Nor would I. I really don't think I can explain it. It's not that we don't or won't take care of each other -- I've taken care of several of my colleagues who were sick or had hurt themselves. Delivering a baby is a whole 'nother ball of wax, though. <sigh> It's difficult to explain. And again, the comments were just a wry, gentle poking at myself and my fellow paramedics. Sorry that didn't come through.

I heard 'ya!

When I was pregnant with #1, I avoided my hometown in my last few weeks. The ambulance squad was filled with my high school classmates!

When I was pregnant with #3, my neighbor was an EMT. I told him I'd kill him if he came near me!

Of course I would have done whatever I might have needed to do, but I definitely would have hated it!