Menu

I'm gonna ask too ("what grade level?")

My youngest son will turn five in October. Is he a kindergartener, then?

Also... would you do school with him this year?

(I'll be super happy if he learns to read and count.)

Out here, he would miss the cutoff (for my district it's 5 by Oct. 1, a neighboring district is 5 by Sept. 15)

I would do school with him this year, though. We start when they turn 5.

I believe in most states (we have hs'ed in four states and two countries) he would actually not be formally in K until the following year because many public school systems have a cut off date around September. However, personally I would call him a K student. If you plan to play sports outside of hsing, usually they will have an age limit, and not just go by grades, especially this young. We went through that with my ds.

My dd is four, as of this past March, and people always ask her where she goes to school and what grade she is in. She has the ready answer, "We do homeschool." I am teaching her to say, "I am homeschooled" and "I am in Kindergarten." We hs year round, but for others purposes, she will be in K until next summer. If I hs'ed on an August-June schedule, I would start her in K this fall, which would be technically a year early according to ps standards.

My ds, now 7, didn't do much of anything that year (his bday is at the end of September) when he turned 5. He was NOT developmentally ready for school at that point--too wiggly, too easily distracted. It pained me to do (or not do!) it, but in retrospect it was a good decision. He's just completed his 1st grade year, and it has gone well, but I doubt he could have done it last year.

To determine grade, we do age minus 5 as of Sept. 1st. It just makes it easy for me (and the kids) to be able to answer the question of grade if asked. :D By that calculation, your ds would not be in K until the following year.

I'd say if you and your ds want to do Kindergarten, go for it! No matter what his "official" grade designation is.

It depends on the cut-off date in your house.

In California, the cut-off is December 2, so he'd be in kindergarten there. In Texas and Virginia, the cut-off is September 1, so he'd be kindergarten *next* year.

I *always* advise people to know the cut-off in their states and go by that, as far as knowing/deciding the on-paper grade level of their children. Of course, you always do the academics with them that they're capable of.

Things are just less messy if you do that.

It depends on the cut-off date in your house.

In California, the cut-off is December 2, so he'd be in kindergarten there. In Texas and Virginia, the cut-off is September 1, so he'd be kindergarten *next* year.

I *always* advise people to know the cut-off in their states and go by that, as far as knowing/deciding the on-paper grade level of their children. Of course, you always do the academics with them that they're capable of.

Things are just less messy if you do that.

My dd started her K year in Ca. then we moved to TX and she was not in school:lol: it was funny. I actually like them to be a year older.

My son Lance turned 5 last Aug. technically he would have been a K'er but he was so immature. He'll be six in Aug and entering Homeschooling6 Christian School for Kindergarten :D

I *always* advise people to know the cut-off in their states and go by that, as far as knowing/deciding the on-paper grade level of their children.

That's what I always advise people too. :D And I do know my state's cut off date and intend to use it. But I have been fascinated, with each child, to see what everyone here thinks. It's not always what I expect.

With an October birthday it's up to you to decide if he's ready for K or not. My boys have late fall birthdays and both started K a smidge before they turned 5. They were both more than ready for our low-key kindy year (one was already reading).

Yes, I would. We did early reading skills and lots of math games at home, though mine will be formally registered as K next year. By the end of the year, he was really ready for some seat work, though I was never organized enough to pull it together on a routine basis. Enjoy your little!

Lisa

Not sure about the specific legalities in your state but my son has a Dec. birthday. We started him at 4 almost 5 in October (due to a move) with just basics - math and phonics. We were using Horizons K math and P.Pathways. Due to his age we just sort of moved along slowly adding add'l things along the way. We school year round, with a lighter summer schedule so that provided a little extra time and consistency. (which has proved good for him esp. in the math area!) He seemed to do well b/c I wasn't particularly pressured to get a whole comprehensive program done. And he moved fairly easily into 1st grade material.

My older daughter is the opposite because she was in a private school for K-3. With a Nov birthday we had to stick to the Sept cutoff in our state. She will be 15 this Nov entering 9th gr.

With all that said, it seems as though your son's readiness is the biggest factor! I am planning to start each of mine on a case-by-case basis.:001_smile:

Georgia state cutoff is Sept 1st, so he would be going into preK. I would start a child as soon as he/she is ready. My ds13 was ready for K when he was in preK. We didn't know about homeschooling then. I was already homeschooling when my dd12 was 4 and she started with K materials. She was ready.

Well if you were in Australia he would start Prep your K equivalent next February, so Feb 2011. Does that help :tongue_smilie: So this year (Feb to Nov) he would be Kindy which is your Pre-K.

Really you just need to work at his level and go with whatever your states paper requirement says, but you know that already ;)

My DS was born in October as well, and he is just finishing up K now at 6. I didn't start him when he was 4-almost-5, although we played counting games and did phonics.

Part of the reason is that most of my local friends (4 of them have 6-yr olds just a few months older) kept their PS kids out of K until this past year, even the ones with summer birthdays that would have made the cut off. So even though he's not in public school, I kept him the same grade as his local peers to make it less confusing. I don't know if that would be a consideration for you, but if you do have other friends around with kids the same age, you could ask.

My ds was 5 last october. I did not start him in kindergarten for 2 reasons

1) He was NOT ready. He did not want to settle down. We tried, he simply was not ready.

2) Kids generally turn 6 in their K year, so I figured he could wait.

NOW-- that being said, 3 weeks ago a switch flipped and he was ready, and did NOT want to wait any more:001_huh:. So we started K. We will go through the summer with letter of the week activities, and when that is done, start the next level phonics program. In Sept, we will add MUS and Horizons math, we are doing Miquon (kinda) now, mostly through play, we have a classroom calendar that also has a weather spot we do daily (yes, it is STILL the 21st:lol:) So I would say if your dc is ready, start, if not, wait. If you start, your dc is in K!:D

ETA: I looked and our states cut off for K is Sept 15, So I guess I (he by not being ready) made the right decision LOL

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

In CA my daughter can start K with a 9/5 birthday - in WA, OR, ID she would have to wait as they have a cutoff of 9/1.

The majority of the states seem to have the 9/1 cutoff from what I've seen.

My only question is - if we move to a state with an earlier cutoff AFTER she starts K will she be allowed to transfer to a new school or not? (she is going to K at her request while her brother will do k12 at home for 1st)

In my state the cut off is 5 by Sept 1. My ds missed the cut off and I gave him a year - he had NO interest in "doing school". DD on the other hand (also missed the cut off) was read for school at 4 and BEGGED to do school. Do you think he's ready? Is he showing any interest? I would make my decision based more on readiness than on age... just my not so humble opinion.

HTH,

One of my DS is a late summer bday and would technically have met the Sept 1 cutoff where we lived, thus entering K when he was 5 and a few days. However, almost everyone where we lived (Washington) waited on summer bdays (especially for boys), so the average age entering K was 5 years 9 months, and the difference in maturity between a just-5 and almost-6 is quite dramatic. (I hear that a mere year difference is pretty dramatic at the middle school level, too.)

Since we were homeschooling, this all didn't matter as far as academics - we started informal reading/math when he was 4 and just went from there at whatever speed suited, but for purposes of outside activities, we assumed we would have "held" him and started K at age 6. This has mattered a lot as far as Sunday School and Scouts, where kids are grouped by grade. Even with "holding" him, he isn't the oldest kid in these groups, and if we had assumed he started K right at 5, he would definitely have been the youngest. I'd rather have him in the middle of the pack than be the youngest.

My dd has a late October b-day. She registered as a K'er this past year as required by SC. Academically, we work where she is at. She will have completed half of first grade, which I think is right on target for her age. I register my dc according to state law and work with them where they are academically. Ds has a late April b-day and will be reqistered as a k'er this coming fall.

My youngest son will turn five in October. Is he a kindergartener, then?

I would say it depends on the child. My oldest started K young and I regretted it until he was in about 11th grade. That impacted my decision to not start K with my 11 yod when she just turned 5 (end of Sept b-day). Academically, she does everything at least 1 to 2 yrs ahead of grade level even though she didn't start K until right before she turned 6. I'm still glad that we didn't start when she was younger. She is competitive in her sport and it gives us more time for her to be at home.

My 4 yo turns 5 in mid-July. I'm still tossing around as to whether or not I think she is ready for K. I think she is missing some readiness markers, but she wants to sit and do school b/c all the other kids are. I will probably do some minimal stuff and see if she matures more over the next few months.

September 1 cutoff for schools here.

My dd turns 5 in late September and would only be in pre-K.

We are doing Kindergarten, with the knowledge that we have lots of breathing room if she gets overwhelmed. She's ready and asks to do school and doesn't let me forget if I haven't done hers yet.

If I put her in school, I wouldn't push to have her moved ahead. I figure the extra bit of age will be a benefit.

I'd call him Pre-K, work at his level, and call him K next year.

I'd want mine turning 18 the Sr. year, not 17. That extra year, esp for a boy, can mean a lot in terms of maturity.

But, as I said, give him the work he's ready for.

What's the rush, anyway?:D

(not that YOU are rushing or anything)

In Missouri the cut off is July 30th. He is not even close to being in K here :001_smile:. I would find out what your state does and call it K only if he qualifies in your state. For public purposes, I think it is best to keep grade level matching age level.

That said, he can learn whatever he is ready to learn no matter what grade you call it. If he is ready to learn K materials like numbers, reading, and handwriting then have fun with it. If he doesn't want to sit down yet, just keep playing and call it K the next year. Isn't that one of the greatest benefits to homeschooling?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Like several have already said, just because the state has a particular cut-off date doesn't mean that people adhere to it. In public schools in CA it's December but the only people (generally speaking) that I know who go by it are the ones who use ps as free daycare. Most I know (whether public schooling or homeschooling) tend to wait until the child is older, especially if the child is a boy but often for girls too. Private schools will also have different cut-offs. The private school we homeschool has a cutoff of September 1 so even though my son who has a September birthday could have gone to ps he couldn't have gone to this private school. Even though my son is "older" by some's estimation he isn't the oldest in his homeschool class or the oldest of the other 8th grade students we know in public or private school. It's not like when I was a kid and you went if you made the cut-off no matter what. Parents are doing what they feel is best for their children (whether it be starting them at almost 5 or waiting until they are almost 6), making an informed decision and not one based on a date the government sets. As homeschoolers we are lucky that academics isn't a driving factor because we can teach anything in any grade :)

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

July 15 is our cutoff- HOWEVER: I decided to play it by ear with Andrew (who is a late Sept birthday) this year, buying WinterPromise's Basic K Phonics and going at whatever pace felt comfortable.

Around January, Andrew displayed a cognitive leap and began spontaneously sounding out words in the environment. So, not wanting to spend an entire eighteen months getting him from ABCs to independent reading, I dropped WP LA K in favor of the books I have used in the past to teach phonics, Pathway Readers and Learning Through Sounds.

He is about half way through those books, and reading on a "primer" level now. I expect him to be ready for WP's LA1 readers (advanced ones) by December. I really let his readiness determine what materials we used when. I was very low pressure on the amount of time he would spend on task. My original expectations (I was going to do all of WP's AW along with the LA K) were above his readiness level, so I gladly adjusted. I would have been happy to let him have another year of K on a higher level of instruction had that been needed.

My oldest has an October birthday, and she was ready to start K5 at 4 yrs 10 mos. My second has a November birthday and unless something changes in the next year he'll do K4 at 4 yrs 9 mos and K5 at 5 yrs 9 mos. If I feel he's ready to start 1st at not quite 6 then I'll just skip K5. It really depends on his reading. If he's reading well by the end of K4, I'll probably go on to 1st. If not, he'll get a 2nd year of K.

September 1st cutoff here, too.

My son's birthday is early November, which is when he'll turn 5.

I'm planning on starting K with him in September, shortly before he turns 5, using Oak Meadow which is much more hands-on and story, nature, art-based etc rather than pushing early academics. So I really see it as more of a pre-K program to begin with.

I'll have to see how it goes, though. As of right now, today, I know he'd never really be willing and able to sit down and make a good effort at the curriculum stuff, even the "listen to this story and then try to draw this particular picture...."

He still mostly wants to do his own thing. So while I might be able to get him to sit down and give it a try "sometimes" I think it would be too much of a struggle to try to get him to do it on a regular basis, and I really don't want K to be a struggle. At all!

Will that change in the next three months or so? I don't know! If it does, I'll follow my plan and give a shot to trying to get him started in Sept. If it seems like he's going to be resistant or disinterested and just doesn't have the attention span and the willingness to give the activities a fair shot, then I will have to hold off and wait a while longer. I mean, if he were going to public school, he wouldn't be able to go until the following year anyway. But then again, like I said, the K program I plan to do is nothing like the K program a public school would do.

We'll just have to see how it goes!

If he is interested I would start him this coming school year, but spend 2 years doing Kindergarten. By that I don't mean Kindergarten-level work, but a Kindergarten amount of work. You can gradually increase what you do for school as he gets older. You can even distinguish the Kindergarten years by calling them Junior and Senior Kindergarten. My younger son is just finishing up his second year of Kindergarten and his attention and maturity level is nothing like it was when we started Junior Kindergarten at age 4.

Guest MamaBear10

My DD who is 4 turns 5 in December, so we're thinking we will begin "Kindergarten" next year instead.

We do, however, do "pre-k" with her. She colors, she draws, she does handwriting skills, and basic math skills.

With her age, we focus more on fun. We like to show our kids at a young age that, "hey, learning is fun!"

If, however, your son is showing signs of wanting to start early, then I would say go for it. You could just call it "pre-k" like we do. But, if you choose to start now, then if he needs an extra year in say, 8th grade, you would be able to start 8th grade again and no one would know because he would already be advanced.

My oldest has a Sept birthday, and misses the cutoff. I don't think the mistake is in doing "K," this year, I think the mistake is in doing 1st grade next year, and putting him in with actual 1st graders in extra-curricular, church etc. We did that with her and had to "hold her back" the next year. It was a nightmare.

With my youngest, we did K4 and K the next year. It worked beautifully. We did BFIAR, A Beka's K4 math and reading, and HWOT pre-K book. She did watch some of her friends move into activities that she couldn't do because of her grade, but in the long run, it's been better. Just because they can read and do basic math, doesn't mean they'll progress like you expect them to. They usually hit a "wall" in the first grade, and need a break. I really think the "cutoff" should be the year before. If you're not 5 by June 1st, you start K the year after. It's not a popular viewpoint, and there's always kids that break that theory. However, from what I've seen, the majority of summer and fall babies do better if you start 1st grade well into their 6th year.

HTH!

Dorinda

Edited by coffeefreak

Out here, he would miss the cutoff (for my district it's 5 by Oct. 1, a neighboring district is 5 by Sept. 15)

I would do school with him this year, though. We start when they turn 5.

My youngest turned 5 two weeks after the October cutoff for K so she wasn't in K this past year. She hung out and played with us. Did math hands -on and from workbooks at least once or twice a week. When she started to want to read, we started working through Phonics Pathways slowly. She does copywork at least once a week because she likes to write things. She also does engineering which around here is building something. She is getting really good at following Lego and K'nex directions by herself. She joins for art and listens to stories. Her day would probably be different if she didn't have an older sister who was homeschooling, but that is just her reality.

BUT she's not in K yet - not until August. So I vote wait another year, but start easing him into reading and math. Who needs labels? And you can always advance him a year later on if he it becomes obvious that he should be a bit further up than he is.

My daughter's birthday is at the beginning of November. In our area, the cut-off for school is September 1, and homeschoolers must register with the school district based on the child's age.

This fall, she'll be a Kindergartner as far as the school district is concerned, and also as far as the language we use to describe her.

This past year, we had no real academic expectations. I don't really agree with TWTM that preschoolers should be taught how to read, but since she was interested, I did teach her this year. We also did a fair amount of math work, at her request. But we didn't have any program of study for other subjects, and I wouldn't have worked with her on reading and math if she hadn't wanted to do it.

I tend to think it's not a good idea to push academics onto young children unless they are obviously clamoring for it, so I would advise against considering this your child's "Kindergarten year". If he happens to complete Kindergarten work, he can simply enter into his "Kindergarten year" already having met some of the expectations.

My daughter, for example, will enter her "Kindergarten year" having already completed Kindergarten-level reading and math. Since we're homeschooling, that doesn't matter -- I can meet her where she is in each subject. She doesn't need to be a "First Grader" in order to do "First Grade math."

This is a hard one for me. DS will turn 5 in mid July. The cut off here is September 1st, so he would technically be in K this year. We don't have to report until he turns 6, so I'm not registering as a homeschooler this year. There is NO way he is ready for formal school, and we would keep him back this year if we were going to send him to school. However, he's already done 2 years of preschool at home, so I will be doing kindergarten stuff with him next year. Actually, he will be doing 1st grade math. I still haven't decided if I'm going to officially count it as kindergarten, though. All that to say that I understand your dilemma.

My dd will be 5 Oct. 31st. We have already started her K work even though if she went to public school here she would not be in K until 2011. I will teach to her where she is at academically, but for sports/activities I will keep her with her PS grade level.

Ah, this is the $10,000 question I am trying to answer myself in regards to our own daughter, turning 5 at the end of this October.

I haven't read through any of the responses yet, and will return to do so when I have time. I know many people will advise you to just "teach them where they are" and not worry about a label, but my organized (anal retentive?) mind just needs to go ahead and put a label on it so I can plan accordingly.

Ah, this is the $10,000 question

I am always fascinated by what the folks here have to say about kindergarten. Thanks for playing, everyone. :)

I know many people will advise you to just "teach them where they are" and not worry about a label, but my organized (anal retentive?) mind just needs to go ahead and put a label on it so I can plan accordingly.

I like to plan too. I will be doing both.