Menu

Which statement is true--dog related

Which is true for you?  

1. 1. Which is true for you?

• A
    • B

I was going to say both as well...

It's kinda like w/kids (especially unpredictable small ones): as a parent, I try to make sure they are polite, kind, share, speak softly, etc. when guests come over but when I am around other kids, I try to be understanding that they are kids - not robots; sometimes they are going to do what they are going to do...

ETA: it's not the licking and sniffing that bothers me - I HATE when I come to a house w/my littles (3, 2, and 1) and BIG dogs bark in their face and snap at them! You invited us over to your house and now I have crying children and all I want to do is kick your dog for trying to bite my children! ARG!

I put B, because I believe you should control your dog. (ours is still mostly puppy and she gets put in her kennel when people come over until she calms down enough to behave)

BUT if you go to someone's home that you know has dogs, then you should expect some doggy behavior. Smelling you is just their way of saying hi.

I don't believe dogs should jump on guests, or lick them unless the visitor shows that they are "dog people" and are ok with that. That being said, my puggle is a jumper and a licker, and I have not trained him properly. I don't want him to jump on guests and be a nuisance, but at the same time, we all love the greetings he gives us, which includes jumping up. Every morning, he comes downstairs and greets every one in the house by jumping up, wagging his tail like crazy, and giving a little lick. Then he needs to have his sides rubbed while he wags away and smiles. It's adorable! We are all so busy that training has been neglected but he really has been horrible with guests, so I plan on working on it this summer.

B. I put my Schipperke outside until all guests have arrived because he cannot control himself until everyone is in the house, and then he can behave. I also seek the approval of the guests before letting him back in. The Corgi is very well-trained already.

If there are a bunch of people and the kids want to play out back where the dogs run, I'll warn them of the Schipp's behavior and try to keep him away from the kids who can't handle it. I have locked him up from time to time.

I have to say A as a dog person, myself. But my dogs have manners, in the house, at least. Dogs smell, and lick to get to know some one. To me, that's acceptable. I don't allow my dogs to jump on people. If young children come over, or some one who is fearful of them, I put my dogs in another room, or their kennel. I have 2 dogs inside and a lab outside...he's just a big goof, so if you go outside in his area, well, expect to get jumped on cause he thinks he's still a pup and wants to jump into your arms! He really can't help it...he's mama's baby too and thinks everyone wants to hold him!! :))

You forgot "other" :p

I'd say both are equally true. A guest should be prepared to get doggy loving, but the host has a responsibility to make sure the guest is comfortable.

I agree. As a 2 dog owner, I do try and protect guests from being overwhelmed with excited pooches as they enter the house. I am especially concerned for children who might be frightened, although our dogs are excessively friendly.

But...I do not get offended by people whose (friendly!) dogs sniff me. I treat dogs as worthy of my acknowledgement and respect, and when I enter a dog's home I talk to and acknowledge the dog as a living being rather than part of the furniture. I let the dog smell me and be friendly, even jump up. Then when we have met, I am ready to be with my hosts more fully, and often send the dogs away, which usually signal the owners to call off their dog.

However...I do get a little miffed when people who have large, loud, barky or even small yappy nippy dogs do not restrain the dogs. As a visitor, I do not know whether the dog will protect its territory by growling or biting, and I appreciate the owner restraining a dog who is obviously intimidating. I do consider it rude not to in that case, but I also think its an (unconscious) outward expression of hostility toward guests by the owners quite often. But I do discriminate between friendly and not so friendly dog welcomes.

Also..in public areas, I used to be amazed how many people would not restrain their dogs around young children and babies. I never trusted ANY dog aroudn my small children until I was very familiar with that dog, and even then, very rarely.

I have always found a swift kick stops the dogs jumping on me, be they my own dog or someone else's. Personally I find it a bit much having dogs in the house.

That would be considered animal cruelty here and would likely get someone physically thrown out of my house and maybe have charges filed for animal cruelty. There are definitely other ways to effectively deal with a rambunctions dog. I am an obedience instructor and have very well trained registered therapy dogs. They are not robots, they take some time to train (as do my children btw) and do not exhibit perfect behavior all of the time-and neither do the people. I fear a scenario like you posted would result in very poor behavior on my part.

As for the poll-not a very good set of choices. There is and should be some middle ground. Having a dog come and visit and give a quick sniff should be fine. Allowing one to jump up and give unwanted kisses is not. However, you can't train them not to if they never see people. On the other hand, it is obnoxious to expect everyone to not have pets or keep them hidden just because someone may not like them. It is unreasonalble to also expect them to not act like a dog and show some interest in peoople entering it's territory.

I have always found a swift kick stops the dogs jumping on me, be they my own dog or someone else's. Personally I find it a bit much having dogs in the house.

Kicking a dog is animal abuse.

Personally I sometimes find it a bit much having children in the house. Especially other people's children. Especially when there are lots of them.

But maybe I'll try giving them a swift kick to stop them coming up to me with their sticky hands and faces ......

Personally I sometimes find it a bit much having children in the house. Especially other people's children. Especially when there are lots of them.

But maybe I'll try giving them a swift kick to stop them coming up to me with their sticky hands and faces ......

I'm that way with complainers in general... It sounds like a plan to me :D

I voted A. I do not own a dog. ;) Ideally, I'd LOVE not to be jumped on - but I recognize that when I'm visiting friends, they have kids my own age, have probably spent a few hours getting their house clean, making food, etc, and that holding back Sparky and prepping him for the fact that visitors are coming probably wasn't high on the list. I mean, it's be NICE to not have to deal with it - but I'd much prefer to not make an issue out of it and have a pleasant visit once the dogs has done his thing. As someone who doesn't really like pets, it's not that big of a deal, even to me.

I voted for A.

The reality is, if you enter a home where a dog lives there is a very good chance you will be sniffed, possibly licked, and in a really off moment jumped on. Sniffing is how a dog gets to know who just entered the pack.

The other reality is, the dog owner should be keeping sniffing to a minimum. They should be training their dog not to jump on people or lick them if they are not invited to do so. Jumping on guests is a form of domination. The alpha in the house should not be allowing that.

Jumping on guests is a form of domination. The alpha in the house should not be allowing that.

Oh! I didn't know this. I always thought my little Boston was just trying to reach the hand that she knows will pet her since she doesn't jump on children.

Oh! I didn't know this. I always thought my little Boston was just trying to reach the hand that she knows will pet her since she doesn't jump on children.

My mom's shepherd only jumps on me. He's fixed (at least I don't have to worry about that), but I can't get out of my car without him attempting to jump through the window.............

I always thought Trooper just loved me best :p

Boy, I really want an "other" on this one. Licking and jumping are not acceptable. All dogs should be taught not to jump and licking should be prevented if the guest isn't dog friendly. However, if you want to enter a house with dogs, you should be prepared to let them sniff. This doesn't have to be rude, just a hand is fine. They do need to see who is on their territory to get comfortable though.

If you really hate dogs and don't want to get close to them, don't go to a house where dogs are kept inside.

However, if you want to enter a house with dogs, you should be prepared to let them sniff.

I agree. I voted "B" because when paired with jumping and licking, I was thinking nose-in-the-crotch kind of sniffing, which is not okay with me. Just smelling a hand is like saying hello.

Cat

B! I own a large dog and always ask if I should lock him up when people come over unlike my MIL who thinks her 145 lb (!!) Rotweiler is just the cutest little thing...and thinks we should all just love having him drool all over us. Even at meals. And gets upset that the kids (ages 3 and 5 at the time) didn't like him and insisted that she wasn't going to shut the dog up, but that the kids needed to get use to him. :glare:

Ok....here's me:rant: rant is over! :D

Jumping up to your face has nothing to do with rank or dominance. They just want to smell your face b/e that's how THEY greet.

Dogs have their own language and customs. They graciously learn to go along with our customs and norms....

... or they like you best, right?

... or they like you best, right?

Yes, Trooper wuvs you best!

Actually, I'm not joking. Among dogs, when one really likes another one, it's common to see the dog constantly approach and give a little sniff of the other dog's face & often add a teeny lick. It's fast and unless you're watching carefully, most people miss it.

Annoying youngsters who get the equivalent of a crush on an older dog will do this a LOT, sometimes to the point that the older dog will tell them to knock it off.

It's a sign of affection. AND it's fundamentally a sign of friendship and peacefullness.

I'm not a big fan of the terms "dominance & submission" & don't really use them in my dog-training philosophy, but if a dog is jumping up to lick at your face, it's the opposite of dominance.

I'm not saying it's not annoying & I'm not saying you shouldn't train a greeting which is more appropriate in our world, but don't call it dominance.

I also think it's nice to occasionally get down to the dog's level & let them sniff your face. They're jumping b/e we won't bend down.......They're going the extra mile to say "hello I wuv you! I want to be your friend! You're so special! Here's a little kiss for you! I adore you!!!" ...... and then they get a kick from some people :glare::glare::glare:

Well, I voted A. Only because what you expect a dog to do, and what a dog really does, are two different things. Now, we have been dog owners forever. Our dog does not do any of the above except he will sniff you. That is a natural part of how the dog gets to know you. He has been taught not to jump, or misbehave. But again, he is a dog. Not human:D

Yes, Trooper wuvs you best!

Actually, I'm not joking. Among dogs, when one really likes another one, it's common to see the dog constantly approach and give a little sniff of the other dog's face & often add a teeny lick. It's fast and unless you're watching carefully, most people miss it.

Annoying youngsters who get the equivalent of a crush on an older dog will do this a LOT, sometimes to the point that the older dog will tell them to knock it off.

It's a sign of affection. AND it's fundamentally a sign of friendship and peacefullness.

I'm not a big fan of the terms "dominance & submission" & don't really use them in my dog-training philosophy, but if a dog is jumping up to lick at your face, it's the opposite of dominance.

I'm not saying it's not annoying & I'm not saying you shouldn't train a greeting which is more appropriate in our world, but don't call it dominance.

I also think it's nice to occasionally get down to the dog's level & let them sniff your face. They're jumping b/e we won't bend down.......They're going the extra mile to say "hello I wuv you! I want to be your friend! You're so special! Here's a little kiss for you! I adore you!!!" ...... and then they get a kick from some people :glare::glare::glare:

Thank you :D I'm normally terrified of dogs. To have a gigantic German Shepherd that adores me gives me the warm fuzzies :p

FTR, I am (again) terrified of dogs. The only ones I'd kick are the ones that are trying to get to my neck. Not for loving, more like a snack. I can understand fearing dogs (big teeth and muscles), but attacking one for being loving........................... that's beyond me.

Thank you :D I'm normally terrified of dogs. To have a gigantic German Shepherd that adores me gives me the warm fuzzies :p

FTR, I am (again) terrified of dogs. The only ones I'd kick are the ones that are trying to get to my neck. Not for loving, more like a snack. I can understand fearing dogs (big teeth and muscles), but attacking one for being loving........................... that's beyond me.

Oh - I didn't realize you were scared of dogs. That's an even clearer signal from Trooper then.

Trooper knows you're scared & Trooper is going the extra mile to make you feel comfortable & at ease. "I'm not a threat! I'm peaceful. I hope you like me!" is what Trooper is saying. Trooper is trying to calm you & reassure you.

And Trooper wuvs you best :D

I feel I have to clarify my statement on kicking dogs. I am not swinging my foot back and kicking them away. More of a pushing them away with my food/ shin. the dog usually just hops down and doesn't try again. I usually back it up with a NO.

I figured it was more of a raise the knee as they are jumping on you, personally. That is how a dog trainer taught me to handle a dog jumping on me. Occasionally this does cause the dog to be bowled over by their own exuberant momentum being stopped so quickly which can look bad, but they usually don't try jumping on me but a couple of times. I do it without even thinking about it. And, I consider it to be protecting myself from a jumping dog.

The difference is that dogs are not children (not that I advocate kicking anything). I would not expect to be greeted at the door by your hamster so why should a guest have your dog inflicted upon them. I used to love dogs but over the years, I have personally just grown to hate them because they are space invaders and I don't like uninvited anyone or anything in my personal space. I also now have a 6 year old terrified of any dog because of a "oh, he's so sweet but didn't mean to just plummet you across the room" kind of dog. If I am coming to visit you, I am there to visit with the people, not your pets. As for a previous poster, I will avoid homes if I can that have dogs but this is not always knowledge that you have ahead of time and I can't really avoid visiting my mother.

I didn't read every single post, so may have missed this... but dogs often smell areas that are really very embarrassing to have smelled.

I had two large dogs and of course they always wanted to smell people (which could sometimes lead to embarrassment, depending on where they sniffed) and so I'd let them smell the feet and legs if the person was comfortable with dogs, and then pull them away - knowing what might come next.

The difference is that dogs are not children (not that I advocate kicking anything).

Sort of. As far as I understand (and experience) dogs have practically the mental capacity of a two year old human, and then some. So, coupled with how most dog owners feel thier dogs are a "member of the family", I would absolutley keep in mind that they would be considered nearly as valuable as the children who live there, and as a guest, consider also the communication limitations of them as well.