Menu

Homeschool Motto

Our motto is my signature:

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim

- Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

It is a little tongue-in-cheek. We have what some would consider a very rigorous homeschool. I think it applies to life in general as well and I hope my boys will remember it when they go through trials.

The hope Scripture gives follows:

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, ~ II Corinthians 4:17

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Charlotte Mason's idea about education: “Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life.â€

We have a banner with "There Are No Shortcuts" in our homeschooling schoolroom. We adopted it as our homeschool motto. It is what I repeat to myself and the children when things get tough or days get long.

I got the idea from reading the awesome book "Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire" from Rafe Esquith.

I cannot recommend that book enough !

"Do all your work, children in ps are starving for knowledge!"

*snort*

Right now our slogan is "Hands to yourself and STOP HUMMING!"

The real one, chosen by my dd when she was 13?:

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." (Pablo Picasso)

We've toyed with choosing a new one, but the boys always choose to stick with this slogan.

Cat

"I saw the angel in the marble and I carved until I set him free." Michelangelo

I got this from a book by the same name from Chris Davis, a pioneer in homeschooling and the person who most influenced our homeschooling philosophy. Homeschooling is a vehicle to discover the person God has purposed each of my children to become and I get the opportunity to help carve to set that free!!

Ours is: "In medias res publica". It's an amalgam of two different Latin phrases, and boils down to, "In the middle of things for the public good". Which is my way of saying "Civilized, not socialized", I suppose. Our goal is to engage with society instead of learning about it in a cloistered environment, through community involvement and service projects.

No official motto, but I sometimes say לא הביישן למד

It's an old rabbinical saying meaning that "the shy one cannot learn" - in other words, ASK QUESTIONS and don't be embarrassed to ask, because the one who is embarrassed will not ask and will therefore not learn.