Menu

How do you stretch every penny?

I am not and have not been in that position, although I lived for years on very little- it was before kids. I lived very simply, and sometimes didn't have a home and lived in a cave at one point, and crashed on peoples' sofas at another. They were my lowest points- mostly, I just lived very, very simply.

I just wanted to give you a big :grouphug:

If you search for similar threads here, lots of people have suggestions for websites that show how to stretch your $. Or you could google for them. I have no idea how you live on nothing though, other than grow your own food, hunt in the wild, fish, and do exchanges with others for essentials.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Buy nothing unless it's absolutely necessary. Graciously accept help from others. Buy bulk and don't buy snack foods. Find people who are willing to trade services - like you repair my car and I'll watch your kids.

My dh has been laid off for 6 mos. All of the above have helped. Plus, I've started working in afternoons and dh has been helping people with "honey do" lists.

Good luck and I hope things look up soon.

I have learned a lot from a local group in our city, Fru-gals. It's mostly housewives and homeschool moms who are experts or wannabe's (me) on living as frugally as possible. Much of the information on local sales and such will only be helpful if you live in this area, but you could still learn a lot. I know I have. I pray for continued provision for your family :grouphug:

1. Bake whatever you can at home from scratch.

2. Learn to make inexpensive meals that are filling and healthy. There must be resources online for this. I consult my "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook but you won't want to buy it right now if you are tightening the belt.

3. Plant a garden or at least some veggies in a large pot, i.e. tomatoes & peppers

4. If this is the result of unemployment, network immediately and check out all headhunter websites as well as search on your own.

5. Maintain your vehicles as best you can. You don't want something to go out right now or worse yet the whole thing blow to pieces (ask me how I know! :glare:)

6. Find coupons online or wherever

7. Cut all classes for kids that are non-essential academic, like ballet, gymnastics. It's hard, but most kids do understand. And you can tell them it can be resumed when things are better.

If you do need to buy something, wait until you have a coupon and the item is already on sale at the store. Often, you can get it for next to nothing.

Lentils are awesome. They're dirt cheap, taste good, can be cooked a hundred different ways, and will keep you full for a long time.

If you need to buy clothing, get it from the thrift store.

Try selling stuff you don't use anymore on Craigslist. It's amazing what people want to buy, and how much they'll pay for some of it.

Use food assistance and WIC if you can get them, and ignore the people who say that "good" people don't use them- in my experience, the people who say things like that are the people who have never had to live on an extremely limited income, or that think that making only fifty thousand a year is "poor."

Repurpose whenever possible. It's amazing how much people throw out that could be used for something else.

Learn how to fix things instead of just replacing everything that's broken. Then you can sell or barter your awesome fixing skills, too.

Edited by Mergath

If you haven't already, check out www.freecycle.org.

I belong to the network for our town and have "rehomed" a bunch of stuff I no longer need (gave away a couch and an old TV just last week) and have also found some great free stuff for the kids (e.g. a wonderful little play kitchen for my 2yo DD which I didn't want to buy because I wasn't sure how long she'd play with it, etc.). We even got our wonderful family cat off of Freecycle! People give away all kinds of things - cars, furniture, extra food from bulk buys - you name it! Your only cost is your time and gas to pick it up. You can post what you are looking for (or check what others are giving away) and usually get several responses to choose from. It's a fantastic resource, and it's great for the environment! :)

From their website: Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,775 groups with 7,090,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups†above the search box. Have fun!

Carrie,

Do I know you? I am on Fru-gals as well. Anne is one of the first friends I made when I moved to Charlotte.

Dawn

I have learned a lot from a local group in our city, Fru-gals. It's mostly housewives and homeschool moms who are experts or wannabe's (me) on living as frugally as possible. Much of the information on local sales and such will only be helpful if you live in this area, but you could still learn a lot. I know I have. I pray for continued provision for your family :grouphug:

1. Question everything. Every. single. thing. Agree with your husband on what, for you, are the basic essential things, and concentrate on those only. So keeping a roof over your head and making simple home made food for the family, plus whatever else you absolutely can't do without.

2. Consider any and all suggestions for saving money, but only do those that will work for you. Apply the Pareto Principle (AKA 80/20 rule) by discovering the 20% of possible strategies that will make 80% of the potential savings for you. Do not pay money to save money (ie, you don't need to purchase a book, a computer program or membership to a group in order to save money! there is plenty of advice available to you for nothing).

3. Don't be too shy or proud to accept help whenever it is offered. There is nothing wrong with letting people help you out if you have a genuine need. By the same token, don't be too proud to admit that you can't afford things. I'm not telling you to go out begging! Just let people know, when appropriate, that money is tight for you at the moment, and don't refuse any assistance that comes to you.

Edited by Hotdrink

1. Question everything. Every. single. thing. Agree with your husband on what, for you, are the basic essential things, and concentrate on those only.

That's a good one. It's funny, there were things five years ago that I thought were absolute necesseties (basic cable, anyone?) that I don't have now and don't miss at all. Most people in the west have a very skewed perception of need vs. want. Scrutinizing the big list of "Things People in Western Society are Supposed to Have" is a great way to save a ton of money.

When I've been crazy broke and wishing I could shop, I'd drive around town after the garage sales ended when people had left overs out for free. I'd also cruise the alleys for free furniture. This might be unique to my area?

Work the library for all it's worth. Have garage sales. Scavenge all the change in the house including pennies and pay for groceries with it (I'd put the pennies in that change machine at the grocery store and pay with a voucher).

Keep the house incredibly clean, it helps keep a normal and healthy perspective. Same for the car, you can detail it at home for free, it's good for your psyche. Wholesome cheap foods, drinking water instead of juice and soda. Picking fruits off all of your friends and families trees. I used to have a route in town, I'd go for a walk at night and come home with lemons, guava, and rose apples from trees that were in parking lots and places like that. Can you fish? Use food programs at local churches. See if you can get utilities switched to low income prices. Cancel cable. Ride a bike to local places to save gas money. Get out for free fun, it's stressful being broke don't forget to hike, swim, read to each other, play cards.. find solace in each others company.

Then there's the dreaded moving in with your parents.

That's a good one. It's funny, there were things five years ago that I thought were absolute necesseties (basic cable, anyone?) that I don't have now and don't miss at all. Most people in the west have a very skewed perception of need vs. want.

Yes. I have relatives who are in process of filing bankruptcy, but still have Tivo and Netflix. Huh? Every non-necessity must go, including cell-phones if not absolutely necessary.

I personally think that attitude goes along way when you have no money. Keep in mind that there are other people in the world (perhaps 3rd world countries) that are worse off than you are. Think about how appreciative they would be of the beans & rice meal you are eating for the 500th time. Perspective is powerful.

1. Cut down on electricity: Less heat - wear more clothes. Less ac - wear less clothes. No lights on during day. Use energy saver mode on dishwasher. Air dry clothes on a line. Re-caulk windows/doors.

2. Save on water: Only flush when necessary :tongue_smilie:. Put a water bottle full of rocks in every potty. Don't bathe daily. Fill sink with an inch or two of water to rinse all dishes. Only run dishwasher when full and at nighttime. Wear jeans/shorts more than once before washing. Wash sheets/towels less.

3. Save on groceries: Do not use paper towels. At all. Use old t-shirts, socks and scraps for clean ups and rewash. Don't buy trash bags. Use sacks from grocery store. I prefer brown paper sacks. Buy no snacks whatsoever. I fed my family on $100 a week for 5 months. We continued to eat healthy although there were lots and lots of rice and beans on menu each week. Meat is a special accent to some meals - not the center of the plate. Everyone drinks water and that's it. Make your own bread and any other baked goods you can for a fraction of the cost.

4. Entertainment: the Library is a great place to get movies for free. Family walks around town to explore new places is great entertainment as well. Family sports are another fun way to spend an afternoon and throw in a picnic and it's a real party! ;)

5. Trade babysitting with friends to get some special time with your dh when you need a night out. We trade 2 hours shifts with friends a few times a month.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: and best of luck. I learned so very much when our belt was tightened. So many of the things I thought I needed I just didn't.

You have already received some really great ideas but I thought I would share one of my biggest saving tips. We started making homemade laundry soap when my husband was in school and we were living on next to nothing. It costs less than $3 to make a 5 gallon bucket of soap. Fabric softener isn't something you have to buy either. My friend uses those little dryer balls to reduce static and she says it works fine. I have also read that you can use small balls of aluminum foil in the dryer. You won't have that great detergent fragrance, but your clothes are clean and you save a ton of money.

Don't use your drier. In fact, sell it to someone. If it is warm, the clothes will dry on the line. If it is windy, they will dry on the line. If it is too darn cold to dry them outside, you've probably got the heater on anyway. Sure, the house will look like a laundry, but that's just how things are in winter (in my house anyway!)

Make friends with someone at the tip (dump.) My aunt has found brand new tents and packets of expensive colouring pencils.

Rosie

That's a good one. It's funny, there were things five years ago that I thought were absolute necesseties (basic cable, anyone?) that I don't have now and don't miss at all. Most people in the west have a very skewed perception of need vs. want. Scrutinizing the big list of "Things People in Western Society are Supposed to Have" is a great way to save a ton of money.

Yes, my perspective on what is *needed* has changed quite a bit over the past couple of years.

We don't have cable.

We only have internet because my Dad pays for it - otherwise we would not have it.

We have cell phones (on a shared plan with other family members to save money) and no landline.

A friend taught me that a dryer isn't necessary.;)

When you turn the A/C up, you will adjust to the new higher temp. It may feel hot at first. The same goes for the heat the other direction (we live in FL and only turned the heat on 3 times or so this winter, but I think I might die without A/C!)

There is another thread where someone posted about not seeing having less as bad, but rather as an opportunity. I'll try to find it and link it.

I use the dryer but except for towels I only put things in for 5 minutes, and then hang them.

Check out a copy of Tightwad Gazette from the library--lots of ideas there.

If you aren't already using coupons and stock up shopping to bring down your grocery bill, find a website that shows you how to work the grocery stores in your region to your advantage. Try this one:

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/

Have you looked into local farms to see if they are willing to trade work for food? Also, check out local small restaurants/groceries for the same thing. Our Panera gives away leftover bread. Our local natural foods store will sell older produce for incredibly reduced prices. Check churches and local volunteer organizations. I volunteer with a group that holds an annual garage sale as a fundraiser. We have ladies come and trade work for clothes, etc. during the whole year. You get first dibs on some great stuff and can network. It's a great time to network for babysitting, pet sitting, house cleaning, etc. jobs.

Review your skills and see what you can do to earn some income. Lots of threads on the boards on this topic with some creative and very useful advice.

Big hug!!

I haven't read everything yet, but here are some things we do just because I'm VERY frugal and don't like to spend even a penny I don't have to!!

1. Keep the heat down in the winter and don't use the A/C in the summer (I admit to turning on the AC when it's 95 and humid!!). Our family is now used to 58 (57 if I sneak it in on them!) during the winter. We have sweatshirts and long sleeved shirts, slippers/socks, and blankets!

2. Make my own laundry detergent. I think I spent $20 on ALL the supplies I needed about 4 years ago. We haven't bought laundry detergent since.

3. Line dry clothes. I usually dry them inside. Sheets go outside.

4. Only wash things when absolutely necessary. If you've been inside all day, clothes don't need to be washed!! (Well, underwear does!) I do one load of wash/day for my family of 6 and occasionally can skip a day.

5. Can you find a food coop? I get VERY cheap wheat berries (and make my own bread), oatmeal, rice, beans, popcorn, nuts etc.

6. Cheap meals - eggs and oatmeal are a great breakfast! And, my kids usually last until lunch that way.

7. Cheap snacks - I have very few snacks here. Yogurt (homemade), fruit, veggies, hummus (homemade), nuts, etc.

8. Find a vegan/vegetarian cookbook from the library. The food in those is usually VERY good and doesn't include meat, which is expensive!!

9. Figure out the drug store coupons. I haven't paid a penny for toiletries for two years now. PM me if you'd like details. It's very easy and all you need to buy (or get free from a neighbor) is the Sunday paper for the coupons.

10. Drink only water.

11. Community pool. In the summertime, we all go swimming and then take nightly showers at the pool. Saves us water and we get great exercise.

12. Call all your monthly billing people (insurance - car and home, cell phone (can you get rid of a home phone?), cable (can you get rid of it?), newspaper (or cancel subscription?), etc. and ask if they have any better rates. Explain your situation. Call your utility companies and ask about any plan they may have that would decrease your costs. We do this annually and last year saved over $250/month altogether!!

HTH!! I've got more, but I've got to teach school sometime!!

Thank you all for the advice! The one thing I did not mention is the reason for this is the sole provider of our home will be away for up to a year. So, it will be just me and the kids. No family around, nothing. I will have to get a job, which I know. The problem is I live where I don't trust too many well anyone with my kids. The people I know are either drunks or worthless, so a no no for my kids! So, I am trying to come up with ways to make money and have my children. I thought of day care, but many people here tend to use you then not pay. Which I cannot have that.

I live somewhere where help is not really given. You can get heating help, but only in the winter. No farms near by, only ranches and more ranches. Which are full of really rich people who can care less. Which is alright, that is part of living in a small town full of retired or well off people. Don't get me wrong there is others here too, but they are in the same boat I am.

I already bake from scratch. I need to learn to cook more with rice and beans. My dryer broke a last week so that works there. We are using the line out side. Also by chance I just got my garden done yesterday, so that will help.

I had the cable shut off about 6 months ago. We don't have a landline, but we do have cells. They are our only way to communicate at the moment since he works away from home, which might have to go anyways. The only bills we have right now are basics (rent, gas, electric, water, insurance, phone, and a small loan payment). No credit cards or anything. So, that is good.

I have a few months to prepare I think like 4 or so. Then it will be nothing, not even my car. He will need it. We only have one.

Can you give me any idea of good things to stock up on with excellent shelf life?

Try selling stuff you don't use anymore on Craigslist. It's amazing what people want to buy, and how much they'll pay for some of it.

:iagree:We have sold enough on Craigslist to replace our garage doors (which were falling apart) as well as do other household fix-ups that just couldn't wait. And the upside - you get rid of a lot of clutter!

Can you give me any idea of good things to stock up on with excellent shelf life?

Some things I always stock up on when there is a sale:

lentils

beans

whole wheat pasta

diced tomatoes

tomato sauce

Chicken/veggie stock (I usually make my own from leftover scraps but sometimes it is handy to have a package on hand.

Rice (I store in the freezer so it lasts longer)

I have been tightening and tightening our budget these last few months so I have really been stocking up on the following when there is a good sale and an extra bonus if I have coupons.

soap

toothpaste

mouthwash

floss

razor blades

feminine products

whole grain brown rice and beans! :tongue_smilie: whole wheat pasta, frozen veggies, olive oil, whole wheat flour, yeast, honey, most anything else you will need to make your baked goods, vinegar and baking soda (these are all I use to clean my entire home) or any other cleaning supplies you use, laundry soap or ingredients to make your own, oatmeal, condiments ( I get most of these free or almost free when I pair a coupon with a good store sale), toilet paper, cheese (freezes well)...

If I think of more, I'll chime in!

I would put the word out through your network that you love hand-me-downs. When my ds was out of work several years ago I stockpiled clothes in four different sizes for each child. I kept them in boxes in the garage. We received bags and bags of clothes. It was great.

I also kept a wish list and prayed over large ticket items. I could not believe God's provision. I prayed over a basketball hoop for my boys and ended up with 3 of them. We received a beautiful patio set, BBQ, furniture and housewares all at no cost.

Also I like your childcare idea. Why don't you charge for the upcoming month at the beginning of the month. That way you won't have to worry about doing the work but not getting paid. When my ds was in daycare I paid at the beginning of the month. They also offered a $25 discount, (tuition was $500) if the money was paid before the 1st. We also had a late payment fee if tuition wasn't paid by the 5th.

if your income isn't going to be anything you might be able to get cash assistance through your state along with food stamps and commodities (you get things like peanut butter and veggies) and childcare assistance if you go to work or school. http://dfsweb.state.wy.us/dfs/DFSApplicationBenefits.html

Edited by melissamathews

I know you said you live near farms and ranches (so do I). Are there any within walking distance? Maybe you could do housecleaning or other farm chores. What are your talents? Are you a great organizer or planner? Can you paint a room or plant flowers? Can you sew or decorate a cake? Start putting ads on Craigslist offering your services now. See if you can put up flyers at the grocery store and other places around town. Make sure that you can bring your kids with you. If you are not able to resolve your vehicle situation in the next 4 months, maybe you can find a cheap car with the extra money you are earning. If not, just be sure that people know they will have to come pick you and your kids up. I know it is not ideal, but if you can work hard and people know you are trustworthy and dependable I think it is doable. :grouphug:

I make my own cleaners and laundry soap.

I got a new book for making meals that are filling and inexpensive (does require to check sales, coupons, etc). It is called $5 Dinner Mom. She also has a website that you could hit up for tips and recipes. Love this!

Don't eat out.

Bake what you can at home, instead of buying it.

Plan trips to use gas more effectively.

If you want to buy something, ask if you really need it. If you can, wait a few days/week to see if you still think you need it.

My husband just got a job after having NO income for 4 months. We really cut down our groceries, I made literally everything I could by scratch. I just really cut out all non essential items (when you get in that position you will realize what really is a non essential when before you would have considered it an essential item.) we stopped making multiple trips away from the house (we would wait until we got a huge list of to do and do it all at once to save on gas)

Ok people are going to think this is gross-- but If when we took our clothes off at night, if they looked clean and smelled clean we put them back away to wear again (NOT underclothes) That REALLY saved on laundry detergant and the water bill. I started giving the boys baths together instead of showers to save on the water bill.

PM me. I have alot of ideas if you would like! Good luck! I will pray for you! :grouphug:

Yes I totally agree! We have not had any cable for over 2 years now, we JUST got a home phone (because our cell bill was by far cheaper) we JUST got a computer and internet (that is needed for hubbys new job though) Seriously look and see what you can cut out. Kids do just fine (much better IMO without cable!)

Use food assistance and WIC if you can get them, and ignore the people who say that "good" people don't use them- in my experience, the people who say things like that are the people who have never had to live on an extremely limited income, or that think that making only fifty thousand a year is "poor."

I haven't read the other responses yet but I wanted to say :iagree:

100% :iagree:

If you qualify for it get it and use it. There is a difference between those who truly need it and will only use it temporarily than those who abuse the system.

I tried to send this last night, but my computer crashed.... hopefully I'm adding to the conversation still and not just being redundant.

-----

I'll second the tip about lentils... they're awesome! We buy ours in bulk from azurestandard.com which is a bulk-food company which has delivery routes in a lot of states; if you can pick up on a delivery route, there aren't any shipping costs! We also buy rice, beans, oatmeal, and peanut butter from them in large quantities. Their prices are great, and the quality is excellent!

Eggs are also good, cheap protein.

Really pay attention to how much food costs at your grocery stores. We've been on severe budgets a lot in the past 7 years, and I was shocked to realize that I could buy more, better food at Trader Joe's than I could at Safeway for the same amount of money. All the other stores nearby cost even more than Safeway. We might be able to do better at Costco, but I've never been willing to fork over the membership costs.

If you haven't already, apply for assistance at your local social services agency. If you have no income, you will qualify for whatever they call food stamps in your area. They'll also be able to help you with health insurance for your kids, maybe for yourself and other family members too.

My plan for the worst-case scenario in terms of food includes volunteering at a soup kitchen. When my older dd was young, I used to volunteer as a part of my job. Volunteers usually get to eat (and may be able to take food home if there are leftovers), plus it's a good way to "pay it forward" and to teach kids that even when we have nothing, we can still help others.

Sing "Through Heaven's Eyes" from the Prince of Egypt as a family theme song. The line "when all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around" is a gem. It also keeps everything in perspective when times are hard.

I wish I had more ideas for you; I haven't ever lived without any income, but we've been living on below 50% of the median income for our area for several years now. We've pared things down so we're only paying for housing, electricity, basic phone, gas, health insurance, groceries, and car related expenses. Oh, and the internet. We've never gone without that (we live in Silicon Valley; internet is actually more vital than a phone here), though we both have computers that are almost 7 years old. We've seriously considered ditching the car too, but it keeps getting "rescued" at the last minute. I buy clothes for the girls, but my husband and I will go several years between clothing purchases for ourselves.

Good luck though!

:)

Anabel

Oh, and I forgot to mention... "tea time" related... unless you've already got things squared away in that area... if you can learn to use some form of natural family planning or fertility awareness method (like at woomb.org or tcoyf.com), the initial cost is the only cost. Once you know how to pay attention to fertility signs, and apply a set of rules, then you can make your own charts and never have to pay anyone anything again related to pregnancy-prevention. It's not everyone's cup of tea :tongue_smilie: but it has sure been cost-effective for us.

Oh, and reusable menstrual pads or a Diva Cup... I know they're not for everyone, but there has been many a month that I've been glad that I didn't have to choose between food and menstrual products.

We've even gone so far as to make our own tissues... the fastest and nicest in our house are squares of polar fleece that I bought at Jo-Ann's. We cut a whole bunch out of a couple yards of fabric that were on sale, and wash them on hot. We never buy kleenex anymore, which is huge during cold season. Now is a good time to find sales on fleece.

Good luck again! I'm glad to see that you've got time to plan ahead.

There is another thread where someone posted about not seeing having less as bad, but rather as an opportunity. I'll try to find it and link it.

You know, that's exactly how I feel about not using our fridge. It's a very interesting experiment.

Rosie

I have to ask, why no fridge?

We don't need one. (Except the two or three days after hosting Christmas. I over catered!)

I was reading "Food, Not Lawns" and there was a chapter about giving up fridges. We've been unemployed for two years now, so getting rid of a large appliance if we didn't need it seemed like a good idea. I looked in the fridge and realised we were running it two keep six things we didn't need cold, so I went to hubby. He looked in the fridge and came to the same conclusion, so we ate those six things and turned the fridge off.

I know I have the computer on all day, and that uses electricity, but it's a matter of priorities ;) I don't need a fridge. I do need internet access or I'll go nuts!

Rosie

Soup and Sandwiches can be filling and inexpensive. Making a pot of soup will normally last several meals.

Rice and Beans

Pancakes with strawberries

Eggs are cheap and good for a person. Omelets are a great meal with lots of odds and ends tossed in.

Fresh Fruit like grapes, strawberries, apples, bananas and oranges can be inexpensive if you shop around.

Bake alot of your breads and cookies

Popcorn is a great snack.

For fun just packed a simple picnic lunch/dinner and go to the park

Find a nice local church and plug into it for support during this difficult time. Lots of them have a food pantry and would be willing to help you will food occasionally. Some even have clothing to give away.

Check out the Salvation Army they are wonderful for helping with food and energy shut offs.

Make sure you sign up for food assistance through the State and possible cash assistance. Here for you to receive the cash assistance you must participate in a program and then look for work. But they will pay your child care expenses while you actively look. And if you don't have skills necessary for the workforce they will provide training for you.

I know it is difficult to ask for the help but this is the time you need it. There are those who abuse the system but that's not you. Those services are for families like yours.