Menu

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

One thing I'd like to see Jamie Oliver eventually take on in his show is something he touched on in his TED talk, teaching young people to cook simple nutritious meals before they graduate from high school. Not the rushed boring food pyramid lecture we all got in Health class, but simple recipes made with real food. Like re-instituting Home Ec, but without having to sew a stupid apron. It ties in nicely with the community/school/nutrition education theme. Students would leave high school knowing how to read labels and prepared to feed themselves quick nutritious meals with simple ingredients, and (hopefully) less likely to fall back on convenience foods.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:001_huh: Say it isn't so! Seriously????? Never??? :svengo:

I don't know why I am having such a hard time wrapping my head around this idea.

Cat, who loves fresh onions so much that I just planted over a hundred onions on Saturday. (It's like planting threads. But totally worth it.)

Dead serious. I know...I couldn't believe it either. One gal I know, who happens to live in Huntington, WV(!) only ever uses onion flakes.....blech!

I respectfully disagree with both replies. Jamie Oliver is a average cook, what he excels in is showmanship. The show is exploitation on all levels. A review in the Washington post by Hank Stuever sums it up nicely. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/19/AR2010031901683.html

The production of the show leaves just one huge question in my mind. What kind of homework did Mr. Oliver do before start of filming? If he didn't do his homework, and was his reaction was true, then he's being manipulated by his producers, shame on them. If he did his homework. He shouldn't have been surprised by what he found and how he was treated, and the production is meant to manipulate the audience. Shame on us.

A far better production of how we got into this dietary mess is found in Food Inc, which is available in full on youtube.

People are asking how to start. You start buy chopping oinons and gently heating a good fruity cold pressed olive oil :D.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

LOL I can't imagine beginning to cook a meal without onions and olive or sesame oil.

And then adding copious amounts of fresh garlic.

Bill

And that too :) I have garlic grown fresh in our garden, yum!

I respectfully disagree with both replies. Jamie Oliver is a average cook, what he excels in is showmanship. The show is exploitation on all levels. A review in the Washington post by Hank Stuever sums it up nicely. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/19/AR2010031901683.html

That' article doesn't say he is an average cook, it doesn't even mention his food prowess. It raises valid points with regard to the content of the show, which have been discussed in this thread. It also mentions his commitment to Huntingdon rather than moving on to cash in on other places, that's how he works, he commits to making things better. I don't think you can fault Jamie Olivers drive to get people eating better food, fresh, local, healthy, simple produce. I find it astonishing that you would consider that a bad thing. He has been passionate about this since he first hit the small screen and nearly bankrupted himself a few times in trying to make this world a better place. Can you say the same?

I have a number of his books, I've learnt a lot from him, including how to correctly cut an onion :lol: I use his Ministry of Food recipies to teach my children to cook. FYI Ministry of Food was trying to teach a whole town how to cook rather than relying on processed foods, based on teaching 10? people and then asking them to teach their friends.... again, explain why this is bad please? Why funding a teaching kitchen for the town on an ongoing basis, even when cameras stop rolling, how is this bad? I enjoy and appreciate his passion and drive. Is he rich? Sure! But how wonderful that he is someone getting rich by trying to make the world better, and improving peoples health, than by tromping all over people on the way to the top.

Edited by keptwoman

Maybe we should start our own mini-food-revolution? Like, change one thing each day? Post recipes and meals?

I love this idea. I don't know if I could change one thing each day, but I'm game. Over the past few months I have been slowly making changes and getting better at reading labels. I stopped purchasing typical jellies (i.e. Smuckers). I only purchase Nature's Own Whole Wheat Bread (no HFC). Still have lots of room for improvement and I know some of it will be hard. We are still eating JIF Peanut Butter with its hydrogenated oils. And I drink one coke most days.

The production of the show leaves just one huge question in my mind. What kind of homework did Mr. Oliver do before start of filming? If he didn't do his homework, and was his reaction was true, then he's being manipulated by his producers, shame on them. If he did his homework. He shouldn't have been surprised by what he found and how he was treated, and the production is meant to manipulate the audience. Shame on us.

A far better production of how we got into this dietary mess is found in Food Inc, which is available in full on youtube.

I would guess that I'm the only one here who has worked with Jaime Oliver. I'm a food stylist and I have worked, at one time or another, with almost every chef with a cooking show. There are many who are downright AWFUL (gosh, should I say who? meh, that wouldn't be nice) many are average but Jaime is an excellent cook. I've eaten the food that he personally prepared, I've prepared his recipes for him for about a dozen satellite media tours... etc. and I am baffled that you would call him an average cook!

He is an excellent showman too, and if this show was not being manipulated so much (actually, I've never worked on a show that wasn't a little manipulated) he would come off more likable. He could've gone in there and said let's make pizza. You're already making bread dough, so now we'll make pizza dough. It won't take much more effort for a big pot of tomato sauce and grated low fat cheese! Instead the producers chose to make it a battle and it makes this look like a competition. If I were a producer, I would have made this educational. Many times in the kitchen at Food Network, I would say how much I missed the days when the channel was educational and was told that the network is entertainment... people don't want to be educated, they want to be entertained. :001_huh:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

And then adding copious amounts of fresh garlic.

Bill

My life CHANGED the day I figured out how to chop onion and mince garlic and cook them in olive oil instead of adding garlic and onion powder to a dish.

(Though I admit I cheat right now, as I had to chop and freeze the onion crop from our garden, so I am using that up.)

I would guess that I'm the only one here who has worked with Jaime Oliver. I'm a food stylist and I have worked, at one time or another, with almost every chef with a cooking show. There are many who are downright AWFUL (gosh, should I say who? meh, that wouldn't be nice) many are average but Jaime is an excellent cook. I've eaten the food that he personally prepared, I've prepared his recipes for him for about a dozen satellite media tours... etc. and I am baffled that you would call him an average cook!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it. One thing this show did was get my ds excited about food again. When he was little he would watch Emeril, Alton Brown, and Iron Chef instead of cartoons. At that point I started with a diabolical plan to hand him the kitchen at age 13. :D For a few years he's been more into other stuff, but as growth spurts hit he's hungry all the time and been helping more in the kitchen.

So now if Jamie Oliver has a hand in my long term plan of handing the cooking reins to ds, I say bless him! :tongue_smilie:

I would guess that I'm the only one here who has worked with Jaime Oliver.

I'd love to ask Jaime Oliver why he endorses a product that is teflon coated. This is not a dig at JO because I otherwise really like him. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there like that with all the criticism he must get.

My life CHANGED the day I figured out how to chop onion and mince garlic and cook them in olive oil instead of adding garlic and onion powder to a dish.

This is the type of change I need to make. My issue is that everyone in my family (including my husband) have issues with texture. I like the taste of onions, but the texture in the food bothers me. If I could puree them that would work better.

I have made a few changes over the years, but I have not made any progress recently. I need to get started again. I am interested in a mini food revolution, but I think one change a day might overwhelm me. I think one change a week might be better.

Jan

This is the type of change I need to make. My issue is that everyone in my family (including my husband) have issues with texture. I like the taste of onions, but the texture in the food bothers me. If I could puree them that would work better.

I have made a few changes over the years, but I have not made any progress recently. I need to get started again. I am interested in a mini food revolution, but I think one change a day might overwhelm me. I think one change a week might be better.

Jan

Same issues here! If my dh can tell there are pieces of onion in a dish, he makes a face. My kiddos are fine, but he is picky. (Luckily, he is a fabulous man, so I am keeping him anyway. :D) If you chop the onions small enough and cook them long enough, they practically melt away. He didn't even know I was using real onion and garlic for a while, though he did comment about how good everything smelled. :001_smile:

Watched it on hulu and it was very eye opening. I have had more discussions with people about this show in the last few days. I think anytime we can get people talking about issues like this, that is a good thing. We might not come up with all the answers but at least someone is asking the questions. Besides, many people don't have wonderful boards like this to discuss health and whole foods.

I don't think most families intentionally buy into the point that convenience foods are healthy, they just believe if it is sold it must be OK. I think the same can be said of other things like credit etc. It's as though we don't realize there is a problem until we are about to drown.

I'm glad he is bringing this to the minds of Americans. I was discussing with another Mom that, when I was in school, the lunch ladies (yes, that wasn't offensive then) made all our food from scratch. There were no chicken nuggets. The school hours haven't increased and the kitchen's are probably more advanced now than they were then. How did they have the time back then but not now? What has changed?

This made me feel pretty guilty though. I have been known to bring frozen nuggets, frozen pizzas and corn dogs in the house for lunch. My children have no obesity problems, in fact they can't even keep their jeans up without a belt, and they are skinnies! However, I know we can do better and I plan on instigating the changes in our home immediately. I think the fact that we eat healthy most of the time helps. My heart goes out to those children with obesity problems at such a young age. That just made me cry.

I knew how appalling the "school lunches" were (from previous visits) but I purposefully spied on the lunches of the children whose parents had packed them lunch. While the home-packed meals were an improvement over the "school lunches" in most cases, they were still completely unacceptable by my standards. Junk, junk and more junk.

Bill, I'm surprised you don't have an organic, locally-grown lunch program available. California is supposed to lead the rest of the nation in this area. Time for you out there to get with it! I recently posted this in a different thread, a business called Green Bag Lunch that supplies organic lunches to participating schools in my area of Illinois:

http://www.gourmetgorillainc.com/greenbaglunch/

Of course, my son's school doesn't participate. Methinks someone has an exclusive deal with our school because the powers that be won't even consider Green Bag Lunch.

I pride myself on feeding my family well. Most things are organic, freshly made, preferably from my garden, and we all eat a load of veggies which I believe are borderline medicinal. We even eat them for breakfast. However, I also believe in the power or chocolate, tea, and sangria. All very good for me! :D

I haven't seen the show, but Jaime should keep on delivering his message. It would be even better if he teamed up with someone like Rick Bayless. Who knows? The message might sink in eventually. We can always hope.

Bill, I'm surprised you don't have an organic, locally-grown lunch program available. California is supposed to lead the rest of the nation in this area. Time for you out there to get with it! I recently posted this in a different thread, a business called Green Bag Lunch that supplies organic lunches to participating schools in my area of Illinois:

http://www.gourmetgorillainc.com/greenbaglunch/

I'm surprised as well. There are pockets of the state that are on top of it (Berkeley) but there is an apathy here that astounds me. More than apathy, there is a defensiveness in all quarters (he school and the parents) that makes promoting changes very uncomfortable.

Los Angeles isn't any different than W Virginia in this regard. Sad but true.

Bill (who hopes this show gets people thinking)

I am interested in a mini food revolution, but I think one change a day might overwhelm me. I think one change a week might be better.

Jan

:iagree:

I'd be up for that!

What do we do first?

I just ordered "The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids: The Secrets Behind What You Eat" from amazon this morning.

I haven't read any of his books, and figured this was a good place to start. I already know much of what he has to say; I figured the kid's book would be more concise.

:iagree:

I'd be up for that!

What do we do first?

I just ordered "The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids: The Secrets Behind What You Eat" from amazon this morning.

I haven't read any of his books, and figured this was a good place to start. I already know much of what he has to say; I figured the kid's book would be more concise.

I bought that book first, by accident. I made it page 3 of the introduction. You know how the writer of children's books are adept at drawing a vivid picture with words? Well, let's just say it's been a while since I've caved to my weakness for fast food french fries. :D I did buy the grown up version and I like it more - just as scary, but somehow I don't conjure the same vivid pictures.

I watched this last night on Hulu. I felt so ill when I saw all the food the family eats in a week, or I should say the type of food. I feel sick just thinking about it now. And the deep fryer - AAAAHHHH

But I am not surprised by the attitude the people gave Jaime. How would you like it if someone came into your home/town and told you the way you rear your kids is wrong, and you need to change everything? Even in you heart you knew he was right, you still would not like it. I will keep up with the show and see how it goes (if my stomach can handle it)

Edited by CatMomof3
spell check

This is a great idea. I am involved with my local Food Bank and have learned a great deal about the logistics of providing fresh food. We have a program in which backpacks are filled with food and sent home with the neediest children over the weekends and holidays so they can have breakfasts and lunches when school is not in session. Whatever goes in them must be easily transported, stay edible for at least a day without refrigeration (sometimes the families do not unpack, they just eat directly from the backpack), and be compact enough so that the child can walk home from school with it. We can use coldpacks, at great expense.

I am not defending the use of highly processed foods, just looking for solutions...

I am in serious mourning because my dh is now allergic to garlic. :eek::crying:

DIVORCE COURT??? :D

I feel your pain.

Fortunately I can still use olive oil, onions and sesame oil!

You could try Asafoetida (aka Asafetida, aka "Hing" aka "Devil's Dung) it is what Jains in India (who don't eat garlic on religious grounds) substitute for garlic.

If you try it, use it in extremely small amounts until you understand the potency, and store it in sealed containers. Any Indian market will have "Hing". The resin is better than the powder IMO, but the powder is more convenient.

Bill

You could try Asafoetida (aka Asafetida, aka "Hing" aka "Devil's Dung) it is what Jains in India (who don't eat garlic on religious grounds) substitute for garlic.

If you try it, use it in extremely small amounts until you understand the potency, and store it in sealed containers. Any Indian market will have "Hing". The resin is better than the powder IMO, but the powder is more convenient.

Bill

I'd heard about this. I should look for it. We have a large Indian population here.

One thing I'd like to see Jamie Oliver eventually take on in his show is something he touched on in his TED talk, teaching young people to cook simple nutritious meals before they graduate from high school. Not the rushed boring food pyramid lecture we all got in Health class, but simple recipes made with real food. Like re-instituting Home Ec, but without having to sew a stupid apron. It ties in nicely with the community/school/nutrition education theme. Students would leave high school knowing how to read labels and prepared to feed themselves quick nutritious meals with simple ingredients, and (hopefully) less likely to fall back on convenience foods.

Cat

This is what I want to do, what I have been dreaming of doing!!! If I had the space, equipment and start-up funding, I would LOVE to offer a series of small group (3-5 students at a time) classes for children and even their parents on real food cooking based on real nutrition. Ideally the classes would be from seed to table with the participants actively involved in growing and harvesting the produce. I would want to make use of local family farms as well. Most importantly I would want the classes to be available to any child regardless of the family's ability to pay any tuition and fees I would need to charge.

This is what I want to do, what I have been dreaming of doing!!! If I had the space, equipment and start-up funding, I would LOVE to offer a series of small group (3-5 students at a time) classes for children and even their parents on real food cooking based on real nutrition. Ideally the classes would be from seed to table with the participants actively involved in growing and harvesting the produce. I would want to make use of local family farms as well. Most importantly I would want the classes to be available to any child regardless of the family's ability to pay any tuition and fees I would need to charge.

Alice Waters has created a program of the sort you dream about in Berkeley.

http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/

Bill

In the British shows they only had the healthy food without the option of the processed food. Then they had lots of assemblies where he talked to the kids about food and also got kids involved in hands on activities about food. He really tried to change the kid's view about food.

I remember the episode where he had a special demo for the "hard cases." Once they saw what really went into a chicken nugget, they were convinced.

Rosie

I remember the episode where he had a special demo for the "hard cases." Once they saw what really went into a chicken nugget, they were convinced.

Rosie

Ah. Apparently not so for American kids. The episode tonight showed they wanted it "just because they were hungry". :confused:

I really wish someone could walk me through this step by step.

Jan

Your taste buds will acclimatise, they just do it slowly.

Three things that are easy to begin:

1. Cut down on the sugar. Water down juice, stop buying jams etc. If you eat yogurt, dilute the flavoured stuff with plain. If you do this gradually, over months, you'll be able to cut down without really tasting much difference.

2. Eat salad. Start with iceberg lettuce if you must, but when everyone is used to that, start substituting some baby spinach, then rocket. Eventually iceberg lettuce will seem too tasteless to be worth spending money on.

3. Cook cake from scratch. If you let the kids (and hubby) lick the beaters, they will be fine about this one. In fact, you might be able to use this as a bribe to eat some salad ;)

Oh, and one other thing. If you are learning to cook, you are going to make a lot of things that are too gross to eat! Make it something to laugh at, and encourage your family to evaluate it to try and figure out if there is a way to improve the recipe. Then try it again with those improvements. The scientific method ;)

Rosie

Something else I found troubling in tonight's episode - does your first grader know his/her vegetables and fruits by name? Mine sure did (in 3 languages, actually). Don't fruits and vegetables go hand in hand with what sound a cow or a pig makes? I'm tempted to believe a substantial amt of the ignorance of food is dramatized. But I really don't want to because I really like the show and I absolutely love what he is trying to do.

I do actually puree them in some things. :blushing:

My dd once said she didn't like onions. I just looked at her. "They are in everything I cook, get over it" and she stopped complaining. :lol:

Guest Dulcimeramy

2. Eat salad. Start with iceberg lettuce if you must, but when everyone is used to that, start substituting some baby spinach, then rocket. Eventually iceberg lettuce will seem too tasteless to be worth spending money on.

In the USA, rocket is arugula.

Our favorite lettuces, which I've been able to find everywhere including Walmart, are red Romaine and Boston. I like to put a crunchy lettuce (Boston, Butter, Bibb) AND a dark leafy lettuce (red or green leafy, romaine) in every salad.

Red, yellow and orange bell peppers are in season right now. I've found that children really love these once they give them a try! So sweet! My 5yo son loves a plateful of bell pepper strips and fresh spinach leaves, sprinkled with raw sunflower seeds and a few raisins.

Something else I found troubling in tonight's episode - does your first grader know his/her vegetables and fruits by name? Mine sure did (in 3 languages, actually). Don't fruits and vegetables go hand in hand with what sound a cow or a pig makes? I'm tempted to believe a substantial amt of the ignorance of food is dramatized. But I really don't want to because I really like the show and I absolutely love what he is trying to do.

Not necessarily. Dd is still learning new fruits because she has never been much of a fruit eater. I don't think she would know berry names past a blueberry and a strawberry.

Guest Dulcimeramy

My boys have all known fruits and vegetables early. Between Grandma's garden, the health food store, and our kitchen table we have it covered!

I do not think the ignorance was dramatized. I've seen the same thing in children who have visited my house at lunchtime. (I've seen it nearly to that degree in cashiers ringing up my produce at the grocery store.)

During that segment I was thinking of all the classic children's literature that mentions vegetables, with illustrations! Peter Rabbit, and everything else Beatrix Potter ever wrote. Little House in the Big Woods. To me, that conversation showed that they haven't had those stories read to them.

Oh, and one other thing. If you are learning to cook, you are going to make a lot of things that are too gross to eat! Make it something to laugh at, and encourage your family to evaluate it to try and figure out if there is a way to improve the recipe. Then try it again with those improvements. The scientific method ;)

Rosie

You must be talking about my house.:lol: I've gotten a lot better over the last 8 years since I got married, but there were a few dishes I cooked that ended up in the trash. One particular fish dish I made in my first year of marriage I threw out the back door into the yard in a grown-up tempter tantrum.:D

Tonight's show just made me sad. When those little 6 year olds didn't even know what basic vegetables were, I couldn't believe it!:confused::confused::confused: We don't eat all that healthy in my house, probably middle of the road. But my kids know all the names of the vegetables and have tried almost all of them at one time or another. My kids' favorite vegetables still mystify me--asparagus, brussel sprouts, peas, spinach. Just because I personally can't stand brussel sprouts and peas does not mean my kids won't like them, so I started serving them anyway just to see if they would eat them.

1. Cut down on the sugar. Water down juice, stop buying jams etc. If you eat yogurt, dilute the flavoured stuff with plain. If you do this gradually, over months, you'll be able to cut down without really tasting much difference.

Stoneyfield farms makes a greek yogurt that is actually really tasty and healthy. I have seen it at walmart

http://www.stonyfield.com/oikos/index.jsp

It does contain some sugar but it makes a nice stepping off point :) If one mixed the plain (which isn't sweetened) and one of the sweetened ones that would be good

A good thing to keep in mind IMO is that the darker the greens the healthier they are. :) Edited by Sis

We have the Belly Fat Cure Book (which is really about reducing sugar consumption, and watching the carbs, but is NOT a low-carb diet. If anything, it's a low-sugar diet).

My oldest son has started to read it.

We made great strides last year eliminating 95% of the HFCS, and this year, we have substantially reduced juice consumption. The children are beginning to read the food labels, and are starting to opt for healthier foods on their own (no pressure, mom!)

My children each have their own water bottle (stainless steel), and two of them are very good about drinking from it all day long. Two others are getting better.

We watched the first episode on HULU today, and the children will watch tonight's episode tomorrow. My husband and I are the ones that are going to be hard to change, but if the children continue to "remind" us about what is "good" and bad... that "must be a good example" thing will kick in...:tongue_smilie:

Positive changes... my oldest son read the label on the GS Cookies and said that it had "too much sugar" in a serving... I asked how much was a serving, he read that a serving was 3 cookies. So, I asked him how much sugar would be in just 2 cookies? He figured it out and said that was within his limit... so he's learning that it's not that he "can't" have some treats, but he needs to watch how much he eats.

For some reason, my children seem to respond intuitively to shows like Food Revolution, and books like "The Belly Fat Cure" than me. I will use whatever I can to help change our family.

My issue, though, like the school is going to be BUDGET.

Not necessarily. Dd is still learning new fruits because she has never been much of a fruit eater. I don't think she would know berry names past a blueberry and a strawberry.

I don't necessarily mean that they know what isn't readily available in thier area. For instance, I can see lots of American kids not knowing at 6 years old what an eggplant is. Mine might not be able to accurately identify, say, a loganberry or a gooseberry. But to not be able to identify a tomato or know that thier french fries come from potatoes? I find that...odd.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I thought their teacher did a really good thing.

DH was watching with me tonight, and he said that if they had never even seen vegetables or didn't know what they were, then how surprised should we be that they wouldn't touch them on their lunch plate?

Surely we don't want to take advice from a bloke who comes from the country that gives us deep fried Mars bars, fish and chips, and Yorkshire pudding. Honestly, I think Jamie should stay home. It's like watching the pot call the kettle black.

You've got to be kidding...

This isn't a country vs country thing. Where did you get that from? He's done the same thing in his own country, by the way.

What's wrong with taking advice from someone who is correct?

You've got to be kidding...

This isn't a country vs country thing. Where did you get that from? He's done the same thing in his own country, by the way.

What's wrong with taking advice from someone who is correct?

Absolutely!!!

I didn't see Jamie as judgmental. He seemed to be really concerned. Totally diff attitude than one might think. There was no reason to be defensive, it was about the food, not the people.

What scares me is the amount of soda I see everyone drinking. Especially kids.

My husband had kids come into his practice with Mountain Dew in their sippy cups! Sippy cups!

Waiters argue with me that my kid gets a soda with his meal when I keep saying he want's water. He likes water. He doesn't like soda! We he was little we told him he wouldn't like, it's got bubbles. You know? He didn't like it because of the bubbles! That was the goal and we've run with it!

We get this, too. It's drives me crazy. They act shocked that my son wants water. They act like he's a poor deprived kid. Really... why try to convince a kid that his mom is doing something wrong giving him water instead of soda?

With all due respect Food Inc doesn't tell us how to get OUT. It does give an excellent picture of what is going on with the food industry and it urges us to speak with our wallets but many people in this country don't know how to cook real food anymore. There is a real problem with availability of fresh ingredients in the communities that need it the most.

I have always liked Jamie Oliver he has always seemed like a great guy who cared about food. :)

Edited by Sis

I'm surprised as well. There are pockets of the state that are on top of it (Berkeley) but there is an apathy here that astounds me. More than apathy, there is a defensiveness in all quarters (he school and the parents) that makes promoting changes very uncomfortable.

Los Angeles isn't any different than W Virginia in this regard. Sad but true.

Bill (who hopes this show gets people thinking)

Not quite true, there was only 1 restaurant that served food I could eat in Little Rock, and it was owned by an Italian lady.

Here, there are several restaurants that serve real food I'm not allergic to, and there is also Trader Joe's, there was only Whole Foods in Little Rock.

There is also occasionally food I can eat at the restaurant at RAND, although I had to wait until I got home today, they had nothing I could eat, I can't see that happening in a single workplace in the South.