Menu

"sweet", kind books similar to Little Bear for my 4 yo

My 4 yo started reading on his own a few months ago, and really enjoys the Little Bear and Owl at Home books. Contrary to his brother, who enjoyed more humorous or adventuresome books, my little guy likes sweet, good-natured books like Little Bear that focus on kindness, gentleness and friendship.

Unfortunately for my budget, he's not interested in most of the 40+ readers I own, so we're going to utilize the library and used book fairs to gather up readers for him that he enjoys.

Can you suggest books along the lines of Little Bear that he might enjoy?

Thanks!

The Frog and Toad books come to mind. They have very different personalities, and are very good friends.

I'm sure there are more, but it's been awhile since we've "been there". I'll keep thinking.

Oh yes! why didn't I think of these! Thank you, keep em coming!

When my girls were little they liked "Good-bye Arnold" by P.K. Roche and "My Mama Had a Dancing Heart" by Libba and Colon. They were both very sweet books.

"Arnold" is about two brother mice and the big brother goes to visit Grandma at first the little brother is glad his bossy brother is gone and then he misses him.

ETA: Oops, just realized you wanted readers not picture books. You might try the Amelia Bedelia books.

Anything by McCloskey -- Blueberries for Sal, Make Way for Ducklings, Time of Wonder, etc...my 3 yo, now 4 yo loves these. After reading the stories, she will look at the illustrations over and over.

Yep, we have all of these, and he loves them, but he's unable to read them on his own yet. He does love them though :)

Might be a little beyond his reading level for now, but for friendship and sweetness you can't beet Toot and Puddle. We also like the Henry and Mudge series and the Mr. Putter and Tabby series, both by Cynthia Rylant. They are both around 1st-3rd grade reading level, depending on the particular book.

The Seven Silly Eaters is my all time favorite kids book at that age. I can practically recite the whole thing from memory.

Peach and Blue is a wonderful and sweet book (but it does have a theme involving death -- or at least the rotting of the main Peach)

Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep is very sweet.

Dogger is also fabulous and gentle.

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

Owen

One of Each

Only the Cat Saw

Little Beauty -- based on the true story of a gorilla and his pet kitten

Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch -- very sweet

Henry Hikes to Fitchburg is a great choice. Based on Henry David Thoreau.

Hope that helps!

Agree with anything by Cynthia Rylant.

I also like the Iris and Walter series by Elissa Haden Guest. And the Minnie and Moo series by Denis Cazet.

Has anyone mentioned the "Bunny" series by Focus on the Family? It's been over 15 years but it's worth checking if they still sell them.

The Frog and Toad books come to mind. They have very different personalities, and are very good friends.

I'm sure there are more, but it's been awhile since we've "been there". I'll keep thinking.

My son cried crocodile tears when we finished all the Frog and Toad books. He just couldn't understand why there weren't more of them. His logic - just go back to the library and get some more. Couldn't quite get across that there were no more written!!!

Your son's style sounds similar to what my dd liked at that age. Some of her favorite readers (besides Little Bear) were:

Edited by gandpsmommy

My son cried crocodile tears when we finished all the Frog and Toad books. He just couldn't understand why there weren't more of them. His logic - just go back to the library and get some more. Couldn't quite get across that there were no more written!!!

Aww.... How sweet.

Check out the Mouse and Mole books by Wong Herbert Yee and check out the dedication in "Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole" -- he dedicates the book to fans of mice and mole!

Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson and books by Elsa Beskow are also very sweet.

The Little Bear books by Martin Waddell:

Can't You Sleep Little Bear

You and Me, Little Bear

Let's Go Home Little Bear

Well Done, Little Bear
(aka
Good Job, Little Bear
)

Sleep Tight Little Bear

The Alfie Books by Shirley Hughes and Dogger

Jane Hissey's Old Bear Stories are still my favourite.

I ditto Shirley Hughes who has already been mentioned. Can't go wrong with her books for young children. Be aware that she also writes for older kids so don't just auto request everything in the library catalogue LOL.

I ditto Ryant's Mr Putter and Tabby series as well as Frog & Toad. (btw, there's an ancient video version of Frog and Toad which has in the special features depictions of how they did the stop motion clay animation. It wonderful. My kids watched that as much as they watched the actual show.)

The Poppleton series by Cynthia Rylant is hilarious - the first time we read them I noticed my older kids were hanging around wanting to hear what was going to happen next, lol.

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear is a wonderful story! We have read through two copies of that one.

Little Chick's Story by Mary DeBall Kwitz is a very sweet read - we have gone through a copy of that one as well.