Menu

Does any one know if there is a maximum number of times one can be banned?

I was banned once. Totally my fault for posting with a crummy day and PMS. I was wondering though if there is a rule or guideline regarding how many times you can be banned before it becomes a permanent ban.

Or is there no rule? Just curious.

Also, how do you block a user? (not the OP, just for the record!)

Click on User Control Panel.

Scroll down to 'Settings & Options' area (on the left) & select 'Edit Ignore List'.

Add whoever you want to your ignore list. :001_smile:

I was banned once. Totally my fault for posting with a crummy day and PMS. I was wondering though if there is a rule or guideline regarding how many times you can be banned before it becomes a permanent ban.

Dare I ask why? ;)

:D

Sorry, little giddy b/c just found out I don't have to pay $45 for a $3 child's book from a library.

Oh, newlifemom beat me to the burning question. You don't have anything drastic planned, do you, Audrey? I would really miss your Halloween wishes.:D

Oh, newlifemom beat me to the burning question. You don't have anything drastic planned, do you, Audrey? I would really miss your Halloween wishes.:D

Well, you know me... I'm always brewing up a batch of double, double, toil and trouble. ;) Speaking of which... I really could go for a Tim's double-double.

I've been wondering the same thing.

Also, how do you block a user? (not the OP, just for the record!)

Stacia is right, Cyndi. And... it's spelled A U D R E Y. Not a b. A d. You don't want to ignore Aubrey. She's a sweetie. :D

Just kidding... but Aubrey really is a sweetie.

Now, see, I thought she was just holding her breath for a permanent ban on... a particularly obstreperous repeat offender. But perhaps I was projecting. :D

Now, see, I thought she was just holding her breath for a permanent ban on... a particularly obstreperous repeat offender. But perhaps I was projecting. :D

Sadly Nicole, what you see is what you get. I'm not cool enough to even know what you are talking about. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe a bit, eh? I was really just asking if there's a rule or anything. I keep reading threads lately where "banned" appears under more than just the usual suspects' names and I was wondering how far one could go before the final axe falls.

Not that I'm planning on going there.

Sadly Nicole, what you see is what you get. I'm not cool enough to even know what you are talking about. :tongue_smilie:

Have you heard of "object permanence"?

Object permanence is the understanding that objects and people continue to exist even if they disappear from sight. The highly influential Swiss psychiatrist Jean Piaget postulated that infants under 2 (roughly speaking) are unable to make this mental leap (or at least not easily).

But Piaget felt "object permanence" could be cultivated (and was indeed a critically important developmental milestone).

In response, well-meaning mothers (and fathers) have over the years have (even if they don't totally understand Piaget's theories are involved in their actions) begun playing games with their children, where the parents cover their faces for a moment, and then reveal themselves, crying:

"I see you"

You are there, but you're not there. See what I mean?

Object permanence.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Object permanence is the understanding that objects and people continue to exist even if they disappear from sight. The highly influential Swiss psychiatrist Jean Piaget postulated that infants under 2 (roughly speaking) are unable to make this mental leap (or at least not easily).

But Piaget felt "object permanence" could be cultivated (and was indeed a critically important developmental milestone).

In response, well-meaning mothers (and fathers) have over the years (even if they don't totally understand Piaget's theories are involved in their actions) have begun playing games with their children, where the parents cover their faces for a moment, and then reveal themselves, crying:

"I see you"

Object permanence.

Bill

Except that they are IP bans, so you're really not there.

:glare:

(I don't think that thing should say "glare" - I think it should say "smirk")

a

Except that they are IP bans, so you're really not there.

:glare:

(I don't think that thing should say "glare" - I think it should say "smirk")

a

I think it's possible you may not be catching my drift ;) :D

Bill (I see you!)

Maybe a bit, eh? I was really just asking if there's a rule or anything. I keep reading threads lately where "banned" appears under more than just the usual suspects' names and I was wondering how far one could go before the final axe falls.

Not that I'm planning on going there.

Surely some will know sooner than others. ;)

In response, well-meaning mothers (and fathers) have over the years (even if they don't totally understand Piaget's theories are involved in their actions) begun playing games with their children, where the parents cover their faces for a moment, and then reveal themselves, crying:

"I see you"

Object permanence.

Bill

Or you can go back to your childhood and use your ignore button for objects to disappear. Out of sight, out of mind :D

I just took a look at the board rules. I wondered if they would have been updated with all the info from the stickies that have been deleted but it appears not. Did the stickies say what means that you are gone for good? There definitely was something about a permanant ban on them.

In response, well-meaning mothers (and fathers) have over the years (even if they don't totally understand Piaget's theories are involved in their actions) begun playing games with their children, where the parents cover their faces for a moment, and then reveal themselves, crying:

"I see you"

Object permanence.

Bill

I tend to do this a little. I take my glasses off when I don't want people to see me, or at least recognise them. They are kind of blurry I can't recognise their faces anymore, so they won't recognise it is me in my swimmers at the beach right? I will put my glasses back on once I am safely wrapped in a sarong.:lol:

The Moderators (it might have even been SWB herself) did post on this awhile back. The guideline went something like:

First offense: 24 hours

Second offense: 3 days

Third offense: 1 week

Fourth offense: 1 month

Fifth offense: permanant

In other words, nowhere near as many chances as it seems some people have received. I have recently noticed a few names that show up for less than 24 hours before they are banned again (to the point where I have begun to think that the little blue smilie with the sunglasses is their avatar) and this has been going on for months now. Most of there posters are old timers that have been around for a very long time and I simply assume that they have not been banned out of respect for how long they have been around, kind of how you still invite cranky old people to family gatherings because in spite of the fact that they are cranky, they are still family.

But yes, lately I have found myself asking how someone is even still here anytime I see their name pop up. :confused:

Gee...I didn't know we could get banned?? What offenses cause being banned?? There have been some pretty heated discussions and some pretty revealing subjects and some pretty off the wall subjects. i thought we alll had our big girl (or big boy) pants on here.

I always figured if I can't stand the heat I can press the off button...hmmmmmm

~~Faithe

Well, i would imagine there are minor offenses...'you big dodo bird!' & more serious ones...like spamming mailboxes, or threatening folks. i am sure if you are seen as threatening you won't get your 5 or whatever, chances.

Let's not be Florida and arrest 5 yr olds...discretion and trust are virtues...

Gee...I didn't know we could get banned?? What offenses cause being banned?? There have been some pretty heated discussions and some pretty revealing subjects and some pretty off the wall subjects. i thought we alll had our big girl (or big boy) pants on here.

~~Faithe

I, um, got banned once for being really, really personally snarky to a poster who thankfully doesn't post much anymore. She just had a way of getting under my skin, and, well, she wasn't who she was portraying herself as here (just did so to stir the pot.)

I was bad and got grounded for 24 hours...or maybe it was 48.:D

Questions- does one know one is banned? I don't come here everyday, for example, so if I was banned for 24 hours, would I know?

HOw do we tell that someone is banned besides trying to PM them and then having a message? (I don't even know if that works since I rarely PM). Is everyone who has an individual post deleted banned?

Questions- does one know one is banned? I don't come here everyday, for example, so if I was banned for 24 hours, would I know?

HOw do we tell that someone is banned besides trying to PM them and then having a message? (I don't even know if that works since I rarely PM). Is everyone who has an individual post deleted banned?

One can get banned for not following the board rules. If it is a relatively mild infraction they may just delete the post, sometimes they even list the reason why. I have never heard of anyone being notified that they were banned so I guess it is possible that you would be banned and not know it. Generally speaking I think you would know if you posted something that as worthy of banning. I have never been banned but I have had a post or two deleted or complete threads removed and I usually know why. Sometimes I am clueless because something happened while I was off board that I missed entirely and that just drives me nuts. If I know someone else involved in the thread I may PM them and ask what happened. If someone is currently banned, you will see it listed under their name in any thread they participated in and their avatar will have been replaced by the little blue smilie guy with the sunglasses. You will also see this if you look them up on the members list. If they are on your friends list it will be the same there. I guess I tend to friend contensious type people because I have frequently had four or five or my friends banned at one time (usually for the same thread) and about half of my orginal list has disappeared entirely, several due to banning. Sometimes I will find that someone totally unexpected has been banned and I wonder what in the world they could have possibly done to warrant it. I just figured that they had been pushed too far on some issue and responded in the heat of the moment.

If you are always as civil as you possibly can be, don't respond when you know you shouldn't, and ignore the people that push you over the edge you really shouldn't have to worry. It is even possible to disagree with a poster on every possible issue and still get along with and respect them as a person. It is possible to have a civil disagreement with people without fear of getting banned. It seems to me that the best advice would be don't get personal, don't attack or belittle an entire group of people and don't talk politics. :001_smile:

ETA: Ooops, I was wrong. I just checked and if a peron is currently banned, their name does not show up on the member's list at all. So you would only see it under a post of their's or if they were on your friend list.

Edited by KidsHappen

"I see you"

Object permanence.

Bill

Bill!! How catty!;)

The "R" word is a distant memory. The "B" word is a reality. It could happen to YOU, you know.... just watch yourself, EL.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE will be your friend. :lol:

I'm just being silly, btw.

... and Aubrey is sweet, isn't she?

"I see you"

Object permanence.

Bill

LOL! This reminds me of the 1980's movie "Drop Dead Fred" with Pheobe Cates and Michael Keaton :lol:

What a delightful thread. :lurk5:

In spite of my apparently repeated "tone", I've never been banned. I've seen a few people banned over their responses to me.

In spite of chronic irritation at the site of some usernames, I've never added even one person to my "ignore" list - but I consider it often.

There is at least one banned permanently member I miss dearly and one former member I care not to see ever again.

~~Faithe

I got banned once for pointing out the inconsistency between a person's stated belief system and the behavior they were exhibiting/advocating.

I have since decided that, in general, pursuing such inconsistencies is essentially fruitless. It's more fun to eat flavorless rice cakes. :tongue_smilie:

asta

Are you guys having fun?

:)

SWB

Yes, we are using our reasoning skills to try and figure out the logic. Maybe if you gave us just a teensy little hint (you know kind of like LOST) to help us along the way, we might actually figure something out. :bigear:

No one is ever banned for their point of view, for expressing an opinion, or for disagreeing with another poster. Members are banned when their posts are consistently snarky, rude, and hostile; when they indulge in gratuitous ad hominem attacks; and when they are, over a long period of time, consistently judgmental, condescending, and uncivil.

But you guys already knew that. Or should. We've been doing this a long time now.

In most cases, posters--even the worst offenders--profess absolute ignorance of their violation.

Mostly we don't believe them.

SWB

p.s. Not posting further on this topic. Have to go write.

I'm sorry. I was not very clear. It was late when I posted. I just meant that I was not bright enough to even think Audrey might have something up her sleeve, like you and Lisa asked. I just thought she was wondering, as I have been, when a particular someone might never return.

Stacia is right, Cyndi. And... it's spelled A U D R E Y. Not a b. A d. You don't want to ignore Aubrey. She's a sweetie. :D

Just kidding... but Aubrey really is a sweetie.

Aubrey is sweet, but I love AuDrey with a D.

I would like to put myself on ignore sometimes, too. Can I block ME?