Menu

Those who enforce daily quiet time

We call our daily quiet time "rest and reading time". Most of the time, dds read a book or two. Occasionally, they might nap. Both of these activities necessarily require relative silence, so silence is our rule. The only time we do not require it would be when they are allowed to listen to an occasional audiobook.

Or is a general "Don't make me see or have conversation with anyone for 1 hour" sort of thing?

Yes, this.

My boys can quietly read, draw, dream, listen to music, sleep, play with toys. They just have to be quiet, stay in their quiet spot, and they may not ask twenty times, "Is quiet time over yet?" :D My older two boys do their free reading during part of their quiet time.

I pledged to myself to use at least half of quiet time to read, relax or nap so that I get a genuine break too. Sometimes I will read next to one of the boys, but usually I spend it alone too.

They actually look forward to quiet time and miss it on the days we don't have it.

Cat

They have to be in their rooms, playing quietly with quiet toys or reading books. And this means they have to be split up, because they haven't learned how to fight quietly yet. ;)

:D This is our house too. My toddler and occasionally my 3 yr old nap every afternoon that lasts between 1 1/2 to 2 hours. We do science and history during the first hour or so of that time and whatever time is left is spent quietly reading or playing.....separately.

My only requirement is that they are in their room (they share). They can play with puzzles, read or play quietly with dolls (no toys in the room). If there is any bickering or excessive noise one gets put in our bed and they both have to take a standard nap (lights out, shades drawn, nothing to read or do) nap in bed for one hour.

It might sound a bit strict but that hour saves my sanity many days.

Does your quiet time mean absolute silence whether or not the kids are asleep? Or is a general "Don't make me see or have conversation with anyone for 1 hour" sort of thing? Or some other variant?

Ours is more of just spending some alone time - they are supposed to spend the time fairly quietly in their rooms. They're not always that quiet :glare: I do allow them to go outside if they prefer, and my dd especially, often chooses that in the spring/summer.

We have quiet time but it's mostly for me :)

One hour in the afternoon where I usually lie in bed and read or doze. They must be playing quietly--crafts, books, drawing or reading.

But I just banned them from the craft cabinet for 48 hours because they made a huge mess that they didn't clean up :glare:

They have to be in their rooms, playing quietly with quiet toys or reading books. And this means they have to be split up, because they haven't learned how to fight quietly yet. ;)

I love it!

This is our rule too. They are too old for naps, but we all need a break from each other, and time to "be quiet". We try and do it every day, for 45min to an hour, but it doesn't always happen-daily, that is.

They are too old for naps, but we all need a break from each other, and time to "be quiet". We try and do it every day, for 45min to an hour, but it doesn't always happen-daily, that is.

Yes, here too. I don't do quiet time every day, but when I do, they need to be in their rooms, playing quietly/listening to audiobooks/reading. If they pop out for unnecessary things, the clock gets started over again.

I'm soooo looking forward to implementing this daily. Unfortunately, I need to work the timing out, because if left alone too long, DD4 tends to fall asleep. That's a BAD thing!

My youngest still takes afternoon naps, so quiet time means reading or playing quietly. Sometimes that is alone, and sometimes I let them play together. They know I'll split them back up if I hear too much noise. They can bring me school work to check or come and ask questions. Otherwise it's my break to do some things on the pc.

Does your quiet time mean absolute silence whether or not the kids are asleep? Or is a general "Don't make me see or have conversation with anyone for 1 hour" sort of thing? Or some other variant?

My kids are supposed to stay in the room they are resting in and be reasonably quiet. They are not supposed to come to me with questions or comments.

They do stay reasonably quiet. They also come to me with questions and comments. I dutifully send them back to rest with, "This is MY rest time, too, and we'll talk about that when rest is over."

Tara

Oh, I miss "quiet time". We used to do this but when the youngest gave up naps, we stopped. Out of curiosity, how old are your oldest children who still have "quiet time"? Admittedly, it's probably more for me than for them, but I can see where it might be nice for them to have a break from one another during the day.

Out of curiosity, how old are your oldest children who still have "quiet time"?

My oldest is 15. She is in school, but on days she is home (like today, snow day) and during the summer, she rests too.

Quiet time is for everyone. I need the break, and the kids need the down time, and I think quiet time helps kids learn to entertain themselves and be alone with themselves.

Tara

My oldest is 15. She is in school, but on days she is home (like today, snow day) and during the summer, she rests too.

Quiet time is for everyone. I need the break, and the kids need the down time, and I think quiet time helps kids learn to entertain themselves and be alone with themselves.

Tara

I agree, and once we get back the in habit, we'll be doing it for a good long time. Plus, I think a daily rest is just good for the body and mind.

We have always done 'rest time.' We have a 15 minute quiet time in the am for alone Bible reading. Our rest time is anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on the activities for the day. They use that time to do homework - anything left over, free reading, audio book listening, quiet play, etc. They do have to stay in their rooms. Unfortunately, this is an on-going training process--to STAY in there, but they are pretty good.

All of mine like it - they need the alone time. I definitely do - it's the only time I get things I need to do without interruptions done.

Quiet is strictly enforced. It is the same type of time as reading time before bed.

Basically it boils down to 'don't remind mom that you are here or you will pay, because it will wreck her daydream that she in on a tropical island alone' :D :lol:

That's the same sort of quiet time we have here ;)

That's what it is at my house, too. It is never entirely quiet, because my daughter couldn't stop talking if she was held at gunpoint, but during this hour, *I* do not have to be held hostage under her barrage of words :)

ETA my oldest is 7 1/2... but I will probably have 'quiet' or 'separation' time all the way up (though if DD stays in school, it will probably move to a time after she gets home).

We have quiet/reading time. My girls share a room so I cannot split them up. We all stay in the same room and read or nap, no conversations allowed.

This time is as much for me as it is for them. The 3 year old normally falls asleep and my 6 year old and I read during that time.

Yup, thats exactly what it is!! In your rooms till I say time to come out! LOL

So, say you have 5 children, and the 3 boys are ages 6, 5, and 3, and don't know the definition of "quiet".... :lol: (and they share a room so I can't just send them to their beds and expect them to quietly read or rest for an hour. I feel like I'm pretty strict/consistent with them, and yet they just don't listen! Bedtime is difficult around here too, unless it is late and they are wiped out). We've tried "quiet reading time in your beds" at bedtime, and unless I parked myself in the room, they got wild. And after a few days of parking myself in the room, thinking they had learned to behave, I would go to the living room or kitchen, only to hear them playing and yelling a few minutes later, instead of reading.

So, how do you go about implementing a quiet time? And what time are you doing this? We are still doing schoolwork after lunch when it's time for the baby's nap. I'd love to rest for a few minutes during that time but I'm having to continue working with my 2 oldest on their schoolwork (and keep the other 2 in the playroom so they don't wake up the baby!). By the time we finish up schoolwork, the baby is up, the children want to play outside, and I need to work on the laundry and start supper.

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I just have a quiet time for myself- I felt the kids were getting to old for me to enforce one for them. I go to my room and rest, read, sleep if I am tired. Everyone knows not to disturb me or else I will be very mad with them.

Dh and I trained the kids to let us rest quietly from a very young age. When things get too much, Ive always been able to retreat to my room for a while- well, since they were school age, anyway.

Quiet time around here means no talking or interacting with anyone else. Everyone is down for 1-2 hours and then everyone but the baby gets up.

What they can do depends on the age/maturity of each one. 2yo naps every day for 2-2.5 hours. 4yo is on the couch with a stack of books, logic puzzle, dolls, and doll supplies. 7yo is on a mat on the floor or at the little wooden table. He is allowed books, logic games, puzzles, and drawing supplies. The older three (14, 12, 9) can be wherever they want as long as it's not bothering someone else. They do school, read, handiwork, listen to stories on tape, draw, whatever. The main rule is be quiet and do it alone.

Quiet time is for me too. I usually do something on the computer or get something ready for school. More "workish" type things. My relaxing time is in the evening after they are in bed.

Melinda