Menu

Help me find a book that will get my dd (8) excited about reading.

I'm starting to get concerned that my dd still does not enjoy reading. She's reading Mr. Popper's Penguins right now for assigned reading, and she is "tolerating" it. I'm trying to find something for "free" reading that she'll look forward to each day. She enjoyed the Pippi Longstocking books but is not interested in them anymore. She enjoys funny books - like Super Fudge. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I'm starting to get concerned that my dd still does not enjoy reading. She's reading Mr. Popper's Penguins right now for assigned reading, and she is "tolerating" it. I'm trying to find something for "free" reading that she'll look forward to each day. She enjoyed the Pippi Longstocking books but is not interested in them anymore. She enjoys funny books - like Super Fudge. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Have you tried "Trixie Belden", "Emily of New Moon" or "The Boxcar Children"?

Now I am whispering: When my ds was this age and a reluctant reader, there was a series of books called "Captain Underpants". It was amazing how even the boys ripped these books out of each other hands (he was in ps then). While this was certainly not my choice of literature, it got him going and we were able to move on from the toilet humor. :001_smile:

My DD7 adores the Bunnicula books, and the "Pain and the Great One" books as well. The Wayside School books are humorous too. I'll ask her what books she recommends and post again later :D

My dd loved all the American Girl books at that age. She read them for years, over and over again.

My DD7 adores the Bunnicula books, and the "Pain and the Great One" books as well. The Wayside School books are humorous too. I'll ask her what books she recommends and post again later :D

My son loved all of the same books.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or anything by Roald Dahl is really fun to read.

Alice in Wonderland and Pinnochio were also really fun to read.

I wouldn't be too worried about her unless she really struggles with reading, which is different that just not wanting to do so. My dd, who is mildly dyslexic, didn't really 'get into' reading until she was almost 10 1/2!

Regardless, I still had her read and read to her. She now loves reading but also still enjoys Read-Alouds. HTH!

Ramona series-Beverly Cleary actually there are a lot of fun ones by B. Cleary

Half Magic- Edward Eager

The Witches- Roald Dahl

Clementine-Sara Pennypacker

Chocolate Fever-Robert Smith

How to Eat fried Worms-Thomas Rockwell

Freckle Juice-Judy Blume

By the Great Horn Spoon-Sid Fleischman

We found The Puppy Place series "Where every puppy finds a home" at our library. We've only just started the first one GOLDIE about a golden retriever who needs a home.

I sent DD off for free reading & she was back right away because "it's not a good book." :glare: So we are sitting down together taking turns reading aloud every other paragraph, chapter by chapter, hopefully she'll be excited to try more puppies, there seemed to be many breeds to choose from & they have tips for puppy owners.

Edited by OLCH

Our dd's used to carry around Beatrix Potter's books. They also wore out various creature identification books - Audubon's, etc. They couldn't read every word in the ID books, but they could figure out a good bit. They would bring them to me to ask me about things and I would explain here and there.

Also, all 3 dd's loved horses. So they had quite a few horse identification books. Not just children's books. Adult books, too. Real photos. They were very motivated to read these.

These kinds of books were their treasures. I suppose it made reading the school lists a little more bearable in the beginning.

Does she enjoy you reading to her, but not reading to herself?

If that's the case, I would keep reading to her. Many 8 yr olds like to read, but some don't yet. I would keep reading her lots of books, of all kinds.

To help her become more fluent, I would take turns reading. You read 5 pages, she reads one. As she becomes more confident, it's highly likely she will begin to love reading.

At this point, you want her to love books. The love comes first, above all.

A great turn taking series is The Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Rylant. Very well written, good vocabulary, and an appealing format.

I'd not panic yet.

Edited by LibraryLover

Well...the first books I thought of when you said "funny" are the Captain Underpants books. Both my 11yo and my 8yo love reading them. They laugh and laugh. One series of books that my 8yo DD just loves is the Jack Russell: Dog Detective books, written by Darrel and Sally Odgers. She has read them over and over.

~Holly

My dd loved all the American Girl books at that age. She read them for years, over and over again.

I have to admit that I used the AG books to get my reluctant reader going last year. This year, I have the opposite problem with her. Now she complains that we don't have anything challenging enough for her. The AG books were just the hook she needed.

Mr Popper's Penguins makes me want to pluck my eye balls out! I know it's on all 'the lists' but it's awful to many of us. When you think about good books available, MPP needs to drop a few notches. ;) I include it in my list of worst children's lit ever. I do not get why it's so popular. That said, many kids love it. Let them read it, or you read it, and try to plod through. I pity you (and me-- I have read it three times already. I cringe throughout), yet we parents can be so self-sacrificing. ;) I would also include the English translation of Wheel on the School in with worst books, ever. It might we good in Dutch, but it is hideously repetitive and unnervingly predictable in it's English translation.

I feel for your child! Mr Popper's Penguins.....Ack!

I would start daily readalouds and see if this helps turn the corner for her. What sort of books does she like. I have my own literary biases...;)

My kids loved the Mary Poppins books, and anything Cynthia Rylant. My suggestions for read aloud and turn-taking reading aloud, might begin with The Cobble Street Cousins (Rylant), Matilda, The BFG by Dahl, The Witches, then Mary Poppins books. The MP books are well written, and MP is outrageous. Children get that. Matilda is one of the best children's readalouds ever written, imo. The Wormwoods are nuts!

Learning to love books is more important at this age than slogging through alone. Maybe take turns reading pages (you do 4, she does 1 etc).

Whatever you do, let her toss Mr Popper's Penguins. Or take over reading it, and get it over with in an afternoon or two. It's small book. And my apologies to adults who love this book; I've never met one, but I know you're out there. lol :) Everyone likes what they like, right?

If you have a younger sibling in the mix (or even if you don't) I would read the entire The Light House Family series. You can bang that out in less than a week, and every one will feel happy and at peace. :) It's quick, it's lovely, it's literate, and the illustrations soothe even tired, aggravated adults.

The Van Gogh Cafe is a Rylant book many adults enjoy reading aloud as well. Winn Dixie is another one (Camillo).

Children who struggle getting interested in books often need a lot of adult support, perhaps even at ages people think parents ought to have stopped reading to their children. But take heart. In Charles Dickens' day (and other times) fi, adults read aloud to each other as a form of entertainment and recreation. The monthly Oliver Twist installments, fi, kept many a pub filled with eager listeners. That participatory excitement can help the more reluctant child reader. Some kids really need to *hear* the joy of words and the prose.

If she is struggling with chapter books, try shorter chapter books from the library to read on her own-- such as Henry & Mudge, or George & Martha books, maybe some Frog and Toad thrown in. Sometimes that is all it takes to get kids on fire wrt books. Reading interesting books to your child every single day will help her be excited about reading on her own.

Some authors young kids enjoy on their own also include Shirley Hughes and Jan Brett. Sure, they are illustrated, but the language is rich and the pages of text are not intimidating. Mastering the small prepares one for the grand...and all. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I think it is best for kids to read something that is a bit below their actual ability. So, for instance, if she can easily read chapter books, maybe have her read the harder Dr. Suess books for fun--like "The Sneetches" or "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" or "Horton Hears a Who". Or maybe something really funny, like the Amelia Bedelia books; or sweet like the Frog and Toad books.

When my DD was building fluency, she read a bunch of Magic Tree House books. She loved them to death, and then quite suddenly decided that they were all the same and that she never wanted to read them again. She jumped right into B. Cleary and C.S. Lewis, and never looked back. I think that she was consolidating her gains while she read those MTH books, and that it was good for her to plateau for a while.

I agree with those who say to keep reading to her as well.

Whispering with Liz in CA, my oldest son fell in love with reading after reading some of the Scooby Doo chapter books. I was so ashamed when I bought those books.:001_smile:. I wanted the store to wrap them up in plain brown paper bags. But they inspired my son--who has moved on to reading much better things!

What would he pick out at the store?

My 8 yo dd loves the Harry Potter Books, but they might be too advanced.

Geronimo Stilton is a new favorite here.

The girls like all of the American girls stories

nancy Drew Notebooks (or Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew) are perfect reading level for an 8yo and they are short

Rainbow Fairies - same goes

Maybe try audio books - is the problem interest or ability. My oldest read the magic treehouse books after she listened to them because she was more comfortable doing it that way.

Thank you all so much for the great advice. She has started reading More Stories from Grandma's Attic- and loves it! The American Girl books are also books that she'll read on her own. I read aloud every day to my dc, and she always begs me to keep reading... I know she loves a good story, so I'm hoping one of these days she'll decide reading a good book on her own is very much worth her time and energy! :001_smile:

Mr Popper's Penguins makes me want to pluck my eye balls out! I know it's on all 'the lists' but it's awful to many of us. When you think about good books available, MPP needs to drop a few notches. ;) I include it in my list of worst children's lit ever. I do not get why it's so popular. That said, many kids love it. Let them read it, or you read it, and try to plod through. I pity you (and me-- I have read it three times already. I cringe throughout), yet we parents can be so self-sacrificing. ;) I would also include the English translation of Wheel on the School in with worst books, ever. It might we good in Dutch, but it is hideously repetitive and unnervingly predictable in it's English translation.

I feel for your child! Mr Popper's Penguins.....Ack!

I would start daily readalouds and see if this helps turn the corner for her. What sort of books does she like. I have my own literary biases...;)

My kids loved the Mary Poppins books, and anything Cynthia Rylant. My suggestions for read aloud and turn-taking reading aloud, might begin with The Cobble Street Cousins (Rylant), Matilda, The BFG by Dahl, The Witches, then Mary Poppins books. The MP books are well written, and MP is outrageous. Children get that. Matilda is one of the best children's readalouds ever written, imo. The Wormwoods are nuts!

Learning to love books is more important at this age than slogging through alone. Maybe take turns reading pages (you do 4, she does 1 etc).

Whatever you do, let her toss Mr Popper's Penguins. Or take over reading it, and get it over with in an afternoon or two. It's small book. And my apologies to adults who love this book; I've never met one, but I know you're out there. lol :) Everyone likes what they like, right?

If you have a younger sibling in the mix (or even if you don't) I would read the entire The Light House Family series. You can bang that out in less than a week, and every one will feel happy and at peace. :) It's quick, it's lovely, it's literate, and the illustrations soothe even tired, aggravated adults.

The Van Gogh Cafe is a Rylant book many adults enjoy reading aloud as well. Winn Dixie is another one (Camillo).

Children who struggle getting interested in books often need a lot of adult support, perhaps even at ages people think parents ought to have stopped reading to their children. But take heart. In Charles Dickens' day (and other times) fi, adults read aloud to each other as a form of entertainment and recreation. The monthly Oliver Twist installments, fi, kept many a pub filled with eager listeners. That participatory excitement can help the more reluctant child reader. Some kids really need to *hear* the joy of words and the prose.

If she is struggling with chapter books, try shorter chapter books from the library to read on her own-- such as Henry & Mudge, or George & Martha books, maybe some Frog and Toad thrown in. Sometimes that is all it takes to get kids on fire wrt books. Reading interesting books to your child every single day will help her be excited about reading on her own.

Some authors young kids enjoy on their own also include Shirley Hughes and Jan Brett. Sure, they are illustrated, but the language is rich and the pages of text are not intimidating. Mastering the small prepares one for the grand...and all. :)

Thanks so much for your detailed reply to my question (about getting my 8 yr old dd to enjoy reading)! I was wondering if you had any favorite websites or blogs that list book suggestions for children.

A couple of ideas --

The Sophie books by Dick King-Smith

Sophie is about four years old in the first book and she is a bit of a tomboy. As the series progresses, she grows older. She might be seven or so in the final book. She has a pet snail and wants to be a lady farmer. She lives with her parents and, if I recall correctly, her two brothers. They are a nice family.

The books are set in Britain, which may not be a surprise if you know that Dick King-Smith is British, and in the present day.

The chapters are fairly short and in the various books I recall a visit from grandmother, interactions with a very girly-girl, and lots of pet goings on. I believe that Sophie also has a worm collection in one of the books.

Here are the titles:

* Sophie's Snail (1988)

* Sophie's Tom (1991)

* Sophie Hits Six (1991)

* Sophie in the Saddle (1993)

* Sophie Is Seven (1994)

* Sophie's Lucky (1995)

and here's a link to Sophie's Snail.

Other ideas --

Calvin and Hobbes books

Hank the Cowdog series

Regards,