Menu

I am reading Pride & Prejudice. And...

I was hoping it was better than Sense and Sensibility, which I am valiantly trying to muddle through for the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. Pride and Prejudice was next on my list! With S & S, it really does seem well written and I like the character development...but I just keep thinking, "Don't you people have jobs?? Isn't there something better you could be doing that sitting around talking to each other for 350 pages?" :001_huh: I think I'm just bitter. :lol:

I read Sense & Sensibility and hated it.

Then I saw Pride, Prejudice, & Zombies and really wanted to read it but thought maybe I should read the original first. So I got the audio version from Audible and was just starting to enjoy it (at about the half-way point) then lost my MP3 player. :glare:

Then my in-laws bought me the movie version of Pride & Prejudice. It was okay. I don't really get what all the hype is about. Maybe my expectations were too high?

I'm thinking of just moving on to the zombie and sea monster versions of Austen and calling it a day. Dh thinks I might like Northanger Abby, but I'm pretty sure I got the anti-Austen gene.

You're not alone! I tried to read Pride and Prejudice. While I enjoyed the verbal sparring (bantering) in the first couple of chapters, after awhile I just thought, "Oh, for cryin' out loud, just say what you mean already!" Yes, I understand it's the way they spoke in that era, but I'm sure that a strong headed woman such as Elizabeth Bennet is purported to be, would have definitely spoken her mind more clearly.

Recently, thinking I was going to audition for the play, I began to read Emma. I'm having a hard time getting into that, too. So, I think I'm with you, and the other few oddballs out there :^) , that really just don't relate to Jane Austen's writing.

I love it. It's hands down my favourite book and my battered copy shows it.

I think the first two paragraphs set the scene for the satire of the book. DH loves Austen too for the satirical characters she always includes.

It is one of my favorite books as well. I love the style of writing and Elizabeth Bennet is a smart, witty heroine instead of a ditzy beauty. Sense and Sensibility is my second-favorite Austin. Northanger Abbey was my least-favorite because I didn't like the heroine.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz... *yawn* :D

Thank God I am not ALONE!! I have a group of gals in my home fellowship group who worship Jane Austen and the BBC miniseries. OMG. Sorry. I tried really hard to delve into the book and just-couldn't-get-beyond-the-first-couple-of-pages. AAAAUGH. I really tried. :confused:

Oh, I have a story to share about the BBC miniseries!

I was invited to a Ladies' Night Out/Tea Party/Movie of Pride & Prejudice by these same ladies. I figured why not? Saves me from reading the book, kwim? (LOL) So, I attend and was pleasantly surprised to see it was a fancy high tea deal -- fun! We had a 4 course meal on nice china and crystal glasses. Then we settled in for the movie in their media room.

CONFESSION: Okay -- the first thing is -- NO ONE told me it was going to be like 5 hours long! Ack. I have the attention span of a gnat and sitting still in one spot is horrible torture for me. Plus, I just started on a new round of meds for my rare liver disease -- and if I can describe the distress I was experiencing -- let's just say the side effects of this new med were gas producing, oy vey. Painful. Eeeek. ;)

My stomach was beyond full from the lovely tea and dinner -- and I did not know WHAT TO DO as it became more apparent this movie will-not-end!! My stomach was churning and I was fidgeting in my seat while my 4 other companions are riveted to the movie. OMG. Help. Help me, help me, help me God. My gut is about to burst. As I quietly got out of my seat to excuse myself to the ladies' room... I am horrified to hear the hostess say out loud to everyone, "Oh, you have to see this part! We'll pause it for you." WHAT??? :001_huh:

I was counting on the loud volume of the durn movie and fan in the potty to drown out my problem. Ack. What to do?

Plan B: I look for the furthest potty in the house and finally come back to resume the movie. Hour later, my body reacts again -- I am desperate -- and resort to digging in my purse for Gas-X pills. No such luck. If I dare get up, the hostess is going to pause the movie again. Oh my God. It was a nightmare. I finally made my excuse in the third hour by texting my hubby (who had his cell off previously) to call me ASAP. He finally called. I said my thanks and took off for an "emergency" at home. :lol: I was so embarrassed. Hubby died laughing when he found out of my predictment.

Let's just say I now associate P&P with torture -- LOLOLOLOL ;) I can't look at that movie again without bursting into laughter. Heavens.

Edited by tex-mex

You're not alone! I tried to read Pride and Prejudice. While I enjoyed the verbal sparring (bantering) in the first couple of chapters, after awhile I just thought, "Oh, for cryin' out loud, just say what you mean already!" Yes, I understand it's the way they spoke in that era, but I'm sure that a strong headed woman such as Elizabeth Bennet is purported to be, would have definitely spoken her mind more clearly.

Recently, thinking I was going to audition for the play, I began to read Emma. I'm having a hard time getting into that, too. So, I think I'm with you, and the other few oddballs out there :^) , that really just don't relate to Jane Austen's writing.

You're not alone... I tend to be very literal and just didn't appreciate the verbal banter in Austen's book. My attitude is just say what you mean. Don't hide behind a facade or propriety and never let me know what you are feeling inside. I don't get people who wear masks or like to use witty remarks that really comes across as sarcasm.

I like action adventure, historical fiction, classics, mysteries, science fiction, and more. But honestly... I am not a big fan of romance novels. Perhaps it is the feminist-cynic in me. If I were Elizabeth, I would have clocked Darcy and sailed overseas to teach in the wild frontier of 18th Century America. And most likely fall in love with a savage. ;-) JMO.

Edited by tex-mex

I was counting on the loud volume of the durn movie and fan in the potty to drown out my problem. Ack. What to do?

:rofl: That's the best laugh I've had all day! I suffer from occasional bouts of IBS, so I guess I can relate just a little too well.

:rofl: That's the best laugh I've had all day! I suffer from occasional bouts of IBS, so I guess I can relate just a little too well.

Oooh girl -- can we talk? ;) You know whut ahm talking 'bout! *grin*

Oh Lordy. You know, if only the BBC miniseries had some action adventure to it -- pirates, cannons, gunshots. Anything to "drown out" my predictment, kwim? :D BTW... I now carry Gas-X in my purse at all times! LOL

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who had trouble with Jane Austen. We have a long and tortured past, Jane & I.

When I took British Lit in HS we were given the choice to read Pride and Prejudice or Tale of Two Cities. Needless to say the class was split along gender lines. Every single boy chose TOTC and every girl P&P, myself included. After a week I was begging to join the guys in the French Revolution. I couldn't stand it. Mr Darcy was such a jerk and I knew they ended up together.

Fast forward to the infamous BBC mini-series which I was forced to watch with my sisters and I found that it was tolerable. I was encouraged by a friend to try Sense & Sensibility and once again I found it excruciating, but I enjoyed the movie.

I actually stunned my new book club into silence by saying I don't enjoy reading Jane Austen. They decided to stage an intervention. At the next meeting they all read their favorite sections from their favorite Austen books. These ladies were serious. Some of them dressed up. It was a dozen moms & grandmas acting out their favorite scenes with passion. It was awesome. I agreed to give Persuasion a shot on the condition that I watch the movie first. Which is the opposite of my usual book/ movie theory. I don't know if it was the intervention or Rupert Penry-Jones (AKA Adam Carter) as Wentworth but Persuasion actually clicked with me.

I have now read them all but Persuasion remains my favorite, even though I don't find it as humorous as the others.

I am the only one is my family who feels this way. My baby sister is having her 1st boy this year and plans to name him Bennett.

Amber in SJ

Much of it is humorous. Read the book as sarcastic, you will "get it" better.

Austen is one of the greatest character writers.

I wonder where I got the idea that this was a serious period piece romance novel? I had no idea that is was *supposed* to be humorous. I was picking up all the funny, but just thought it was my subconscious being mean.

I actually stunned my new book club into silence by saying I don't enjoy reading Jane Austen. They decided to stage an intervention. At the next meeting they all read their favorite sections from their favorite Austen books. These ladies were serious. Some of them dressed up. It was a dozen moms & grandmas acting out their favorite scenes with passion. It was awesome. I agreed to give Persuasion a shot on the condition that I watch the movie first. Which is the opposite of my usual book/ movie theory. I don't know if it was the intervention or Rupert Penry-Jones (AKA Adam Carter) as Wentworth but Persuasion actually clicked with me.

Amber in SJ

Oh that's hilarious!! Love the intervention!!

Alright, I'm going to finish it. I'll report back when I'm done.

I must admit that I found myself laughing this morning at Mr. Collin's first proposal to Elizabeth and Mr. Bennett's response. And I also found myself curious about what the deal is between Darcy & that-other-guy-Elizabeth-has-fallen-for (Wickham, maybe?).

Is the tide changing? I don't know. I'm at 28% completed now.

I love P&P and S&S most of Austen's novels. I see them a mini time capsules into a world that we'll never experience. It's so against our (esp. American) grain to have a gentleman be thought less of if he actually works or came from "trade." We just don't think of what it meant to be the landed, titled aristocracy. Once I got Mrs Bennett's perspective, I bonded with her more. What mother doesn't look to her dd's suitor's financial potential? Lydia is just a selfish & stupid girl.

I read "The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy" by Mary Street--really enjoyed it!

I get very irritated when books/movies look at historical times, but put modern sensibilities on it. (The movie Australia comes to mind where it was a big deal to show the ONE smoker & not a soul was bothered that Nicole & Hugh were shacking up on the ranch.)

The problem with Pride and Prejudice (IMO) is that it's a young woman's book. The heroine (at least in the beginning of the story) is young, brash, naive and judgmental. If you fall in love with it when you are young, you will always love it. If you don't fall in love with it when you are young, it is full of young, silly characters.

Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility are better for slightly older women.

The heroine in Persuasion is older, she's been hurt and she has hurt others, she is the sole deep-thinker in a very silly family, she has been deeply affected by the judgments of others. It is a deeper and more romantic book.

Sense and Sensibility is sort of the in-between of these two books, containing a young, silly heroine and and older, more wise heroine.

Thank and thank you. Now I know why I can love most classic lit. but want to poke my eyes out when I read P&P. I will try Persuasion just so that I can finish an Austen - right after I finally finish that darn whale book. Can you also explain to me why I read a whole chapter about the captain's pipe - and don't say it was symbolic because the next chapter was about the room where they eat dinner.

You are not alone. I struggle to be part of the Jane Austin Fan Club, but I'm not there yet. After reading most of her works at least once (as part of a lit. group) I am gaining appreciation for her work.

Some things that make them more interesting for me - pay attention to how people treat each other. What characters are being gracious and helping those in need, which ones are being self-serving? In this society, those who are wealthy landowners are supposed to care for those who live/rent their land, widows, the poor, etc. Watching the films helped me visualize the dialogue better and see how it moves the story along.

Someone told me that reading P&P every ten years (in different stages of your life) gives you a fascinating, new perspective on the book. I haven't quite managed that.

I think the hive mind once held a prayer meeting for my benefit on this issue. :)

I can agree, my dd loved it at 14 and I was lucky to find it eons ago myself. I never thought of this way, but yes.

Keep reading op though, it gets better.

The problem with Pride and Prejudice (IMO) is that it's a young woman's book. The heroine (at least in the beginning of the story) is young, brash, naive and judgmental. If you fall in love with it when you are young, you will always love it. If you don't fall in love with it when you are young, it is full of young, silly characters.

Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility are better for slightly older women.

The heroine in Persuasion is older, she's been hurt and she has hurt others, she is the sole deep-thinker in a very silly family, she has been deeply affected by the judgments of others. It is a deeper and more romantic book.

Sense and Sensibility is sort of the in-between of these two books, containing a young, silly heroine and and older, more wise heroine.

Thank and thank you. Now I know why I can love most classic lit. but want to poke my eyes out when I read P&P. I will try Persuasion just so that I can finish an Austen - right after I finally finish that darn whale book. Can you also explain to me why I read a whole chapter about the captain's pipe - and don't say it was symbolic because the next chapter was about the room where they eat dinner.

Ugh, don't ask me about that one, I cannot take Melville. I guess we all have authors we don't care for. :tongue_smilie:

Loved P&P here. Love all Austen's books. If you find yourself bored, just remember its historical significance: It was published in 1813. The Bronte's didn't publish Wuthering Heights / Jane Eyre until 1847. A full 34 years later! That's groundbreaking if nothing else.

If you think you might want a more modern classic next time, I cannot recommend Middlemarch by George Eliot enough. I think Eliot is pure genius and is 1860's/1870's. Less of the stiff romance that Austen is and more realistic, but still has heaps of sarcasm and wit.

Margaret

PS I love Bride and Predjuice! "No wife, no life!"

I adore Jane Austen. Always have, but I did start reading them as a young woman (7th grade). It does help if you look at the characters through the lens of the main character who knows how ridiculous her family is and fully accepts their foibles (despite being embarrassed by them)...generally a fond tolerance.

Loved P&P here. Love all Austen's books. If you find yourself bored, just remember its historical significance: It was published in 1813. The Bronte's didn't publish Wuthering Heights / Jane Eyre until 1847. A full 34 years later! That's groundbreaking if nothing else.

If you think you might want a more modern classic next time, I cannot recommend Middlemarch by George Eliot enough. I think Eliot is pure genius and is 1860's/1870's. Less of the stiff romance that Austen is and more realistic, but still has heaps of sarcasm and wit.

Margaret

PS I love Bride and Predjuice! "No wife, no life!"

I'm glad to hear this---Middlemarch is actually next on my list :)!

This thread is a riot ... I can so relate to the movie embarrassment! I would've struggled too.

I don't know about y'all, but I have a REALLY hard time watching British movies. Everyone looks and sounds the same, so I can't tell the characters apart. Is it just me?

Anyway, I'm tempted to Netflix that Lost in Austen thing, and y'all have convinced me to give her other works a try. My sister likes them, which says a lot. Northanger Abbey, hmm? Is that my best bet?

Now here's a confession that makes everyone in my circle of acquaintances gasp with horror: I canNOT get into Tolkien. There. I said it. I love The Hobbit, but the rest were slow torture to me. And I live in a city of rocket scientist fantasy geeks.

Now here's a confession that makes everyone in my circle of acquaintances gasp with horror: I canNOT get into Tolkien. There. I said it. I love The Hobbit, but the rest were slow torture to me. And I live in a city of rocket scientist fantasy geeks.

Well, I'm slightly embarassed to admit that I haven't attempted to read any Tolkien yet.

My confession would be that I loathe Steinbeck. :glare:

Edited by hsmom3tn

I have also enjoyed the Austen books more after watching the movies. I read Emma back in high school because I heard that the plot for the movie Clueless (a big hit in my circle of friends back then) was based on the story. So I trudged through it, and a few years later watched the movie with Gwyneth Paltrow. The next time I read it I enjoyed it much more. Sometimes it is hard for me to understand when she is being humorous and when she is not, and how to interpret some of the dialogue, but the movies make it clear.

Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion are my favorite Austen novels. I love the P&P miniseries and also the movie with Kiera Knightley. I love the cinematography and soundtrack from the movie, the look and feel of it, and I think Kiera did a great job (and my dh will actually sit down and watch that one with me, he won't get anywhere near the BBC version!). But Colin Firth will forever be Mr. Darcy for me. :001_smile:

So, I went to IMDB to look at the versions and really? Colin Firth over Matthew Macfadyen? I mean, I really like Colin Firth, but he looks funny with that hair.

I have a feeling that there have been message board wars over this.

I love Matthew Macfadyen but feel like he is almost too "cute" as Mr. Darcy, if that makes sense? You're supposed to despise him at the beginning of the story, but I just couldn't. :D

So, I went to IMDB to look at the versions and really? Colin Firth over Matthew Macfadyen? I mean, I really like Colin Firth, but he looks funny with that hair.

I have a feeling that there have been message board wars over this.

I just thought Macfadyen was too emotional. They were standing in the rain shouting at one another. I can't imagine Mr Darcy doing such a thing. I am sure he would have found it vulgar.

:lol:

I did think he would be a very nice Heathcliff.

It isn't so much Colin Firth's looks that make him an excellent Mr Darcy, but his demeanor. I think he had the demeanor down perfectly.

Edited by Sis

I wonder where I got the idea that this was a serious period piece romance novel? I had no idea that is was *supposed* to be humorous. I was picking up all the funny, but just thought it was my subconscious being mean.

There is a website that has a bunch of her letters. I can only dream that I might attain such heights of sarcasm that she possessed.

It is one of my favorite books as well. I love the style of writing and Elizabeth Bennet is a smart, witty heroine instead of a ditzy beauty. Sense and Sensibility is my second-favorite Austin. Northanger Abbey was my least-favorite because I didn't like the heroine.

Northanger Abbey is also my least favorite. I find her a bit too silly.

The book I CANNOT STAND is Madame Bovary. I really disliked it. I LOATHED the heroine.

I loved P&P when I read it in highschool. The language enthralled me and I think I wrote like that for years, it made such an impression on me.

However, as a 42 year old adult...with limited reading time...I am not sure I would be able to get through it again. Its just not my interest any more. My dd15 has it assigned soon, and after reading this thread, I will be more patient if she doesn't enjoy it. I would never have thought to show her the movie or mini series before reading it either, but if she struggles with engaging with the book, I think I will.

I love Austen though. I read each of the books about every two years. Oh, except Northanger Abbey.

Laura