Menu

knitting plans for 2010?

Now that my big Christmas sweater push is done (!) I'm thinking about next year and new knitting projects.

My thoughts were to knit through a couple books that I own -- or at least attempt to.

Right now I'm thinking I should/can knit all of the patterns in the Nifty Knit Dishcloths. These are little more detailed than the Grandma's fav. pattern I crank out for gifts. It might be kind of fun to see how many of the stitches I can do.

I'm also contemplating the newer Mason Dixon book with the sweater (lime green) that looks heavenly.

And another plan is to actually knit the one-sock-month knitalong from last year @ Knit Picks. :)

Anyone else got big plans for knitting in 2009?

Hey, I LOOOVE knitting threads!

Well, I've finished my Christmas knitting, which was not so onerous this year as it has been in years past. Only five small felted bowls for teacher gifts and a pair of French Press Felted Slippers for dd.

I"m selfishly working on two lace projects for myself right now: Lacy Kerchief Scarf and Ishbel.

2010 will probably bring more wool and cable work from the book A Fine Fleece. I've been wanting to make something from that book. I'll also do more lace because I LOOOVE lace and have a raging addiction to lace knitting. :tongue_smilie: I"m looking for something to knit dd as well, but she's getting to be increasingly picky when it comes to hand knitwear. :001_smile: I was just given a huge, gorgeous hank of hand-dyed roving, so maybe I"ll either learn to spin or have it spun so that I can make a few scarves from it. So that's on the horizon.

Can't wait to hear what the rest of you have planned! I ADORE looking at knitting projects and patterns!

astrid

Well I learned how to knit in September and managed to make enough dishclothes to give as gifts to my sisters (who will die of shock because I am not a crafty (okay I'm crafty but not a crafter)?. I also knit them a scarflet, following a pattern I heard from someone here.

After Christmas my goal is to learn to knit socks.

Not knitting but crochet....I'm working on a blanket for my middler. He's been asking for a couple years, and I've finally gotten around to it.

Then I'll finish the baby blanket I started for the baby. Yes, I know he's a year old now. :glare:

I'd like to make some pot holders to use as trivets.

First a question: How do you knit/crochet gifts for your children when you are around them all the time?

I'll finish the second sock of the pairs I'm making for DD9 and DS7. Then I have another pair of socks to make for a good friend who I know will absolutely love them. (Can't wait to finish them and give them to her) Then, I think I'll make myself a pair and maybe my 2 year old a pair.

I also need to make my baby a blanket. All of my kids have a blanket of their own, which I'm keeping for them, except her...but that will probably be sewn.

Finally, I'd like to try cables...maybe a cable scarf for my son, who wants a scarf.

I'm finally getting more confidence about my ability to knit so I may venture into the sweater arena...maybe.

I have all the basic crochet stitches down, but I am having a terrible time following patterns that aren't just blankets/afghans. And all my baby booties are elephant-sized! I guess I can't get gauge, even when I go down several crochet hook sizes. Any tips for that? Anyone?

:)

Anyone else got big plans for knitting in 2009?

Our big knitting plans are . . . drum roll . . .

Learning to Knit!

I got my girl a basket with several different kind of yarn, several different sizes of needles, and a friend who's just a knitting guru picked out a book to put in, too. I will print out a certificate for my girl that says it's good for an afternoon of knitting and hot chocolate with this friend and her daughter and me.

My daughter has really been wanting to learn to knit so I hope this is a good start. I would also like to learn but I'm not nearly as driven.

Besides planning to knit a bunch of sweaters for DD and myself (my family all have waaay too many scarves & hats at this point, LOL), I desperately want to learn "magic loop" knitting so I can do socks and fingerless gloves. I *hate* working with dpns. I even choose hat patterns based on how little needs to be done on dpns ~ and even then I keep knitting on a 16" circular until the work is stretched so tight I have no choice but to switch to dpns. <shudder>

Any suggestions for the easiest way to learn magic loop?

Jackie

I have a stash of sock yarn that I want to burn through this year. I also really want to learn to crochet and knit baby booties for my cousin who is having her first baby in March.

Me too! I've managed to use up the extras, leftovers, of the kitchen cotton from 2008 Christmas by knitting and selling 30 dishcloths for a craft sale this month. For my anniversary I actually got to buy 3 new balls of cotton at JoAnns. :) Fun to pick new colors.

I'm hoping though to turn the acrylics and blends into the garter stitch loop through scarf from 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders.

The remnant wool I've got I'm thinking will make nice Brown bags for us to use next year for our bi-weekly sack lunches.

First a question: How do you knit/crochet gifts for your children when you are around them all the time?

I'll finish the second sock of the pairs I'm making for DD9 and DS7. Then I have another pair of socks to make for a good friend who I know will absolutely love them. (Can't wait to finish them and give them to her) Then, I think I'll make myself a pair and maybe my 2 year old a pair.

I also need to make my baby a blanket. All of my kids have a blanket of their own, which I'm keeping for them, except her...but that will probably be sewn.

Finally, I'd like to try cables...maybe a cable scarf for my son, who wants a scarf.

I'm finally getting more confidence about my ability to knit so I may venture into the sweater arena...maybe.

They're curious for about 10 seconds, "What'cha making Mom?" A sweater. A scarf. A dishcloth. Then they're on to the next thing. When they get their sweaters this year they won't be terribly surprised but it will be something homemade from Mom. I really don't mind if they're not surprised. Half the fun is making it.

I'll be knitting lace and household items - we're moving to Hawaii and won't have much use for wool socks. :glare:

ooo lace! I'd love to try that. I'm a bit afraid of it though. I drop stitches often.

Hawaii -- maybe you could put together some intarsia patterns with Hawaiian themes and colors. Kind of a juxtaposition of wool warm and tropical warm for those of us stuck in the northern states. :)

I'd love to live for a while in Hawaii. What a cool opportunity.

I'll be knitting lace and household items - we're moving to Hawaii and won't have much use for wool socks. :glare:

Funny. My dh's company closes it's door in February. Yesterday I mentioned to someone that I won't mind moving, as long as it's to Hawaii! (Given that my dh is a heavy duty equipment operator I'm guessing we'll be moving further north than we already are, and not likely to Hawaii :001_smile:).

I've got my Knitting for 2010 list already made. :)

Pedicure socks for me (they'll be my first attempt at socks)

fingerless mitts for me

hat for my husband

hat for me

hat for our daughter

scarf for our son (he has informed me that he loves the first hat I made and doesn't want another)

AG doll clothes (planning ahead for next Christmas, lol)

finish a lace shawl I started 2 years ago :blush:

hats for my nephews (Christmas and birthday gifts)

legwarmers for our daughter and niece

Hmmm...I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

I will probably focus on knitting for our new girls - it's so gratifying making tiny baby stuff cause it's so quick. And then I get to use a lot of pink. ;) I'd love to do socks for the boys - I made a couple pair last year and really enjoyed it. Towards end of 2010 I'd like to get baby/toddler blankets made for our girls, to give to them for their first birthday.

I lie a lot! :D

This year, I"m making these adorable felted ballet slippers for dd. I told her they were a dear friend of mine, who happens to have the same shoe size as dd, which is size 10. (!) As I was felting them, I needed to know when they had felted up enough, so I kept having dd try them on, saying, "Oh! I'm so glad you have the same size feet as Mrs. Rein!" etc. Dd was happy to help, and I think she's buying it hook, line and sinker. With knitted garments as gifts, I find I need to try them on the recipient, so the gifts themselves are not usually much of a surprise, but as CalicoKat said, it's something homemade from Mom to keep them warm.

astrid

Since going back to knitting in the past year, I've made dishcloths, scarves and two very cute tea cozies. I'm giving my brother one of the tea cozies for Christmas this year along with a package of tea. And just yesterday I was thinking that I should start knitting hats and scarves for my dd and grandchildren to give them as gifts next Christmas. There are so many fun and pretty yarns out there to choose from. I think they would love that lot!

I'd also like to knit my first sweater this year. Got the yarn and needles from knitpicks.com already and plan to create a simple shell for myself. I've been holding on to it for months, waiting to do it as a winter project after the holidays.

And just recently I spotted some very cute "cuffs" with fuzzy, ruffled edges that one of my students was wearing. I think I can almost make up a way to knit a pair of them for dd.

For some reason, I don't care to knit during the summer. To me, knitting is best when I'm snuggled up on the couch during the cold months.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Any suggestions for the easiest way to learn magic loop?

Jackie

Jackie- I learned magic loop by watching a tutorial on you tube. The key for me is a comfortably long and very flexible circular. I like those from knitpicks or addi turbos. This link may be the one I used, there are several to choose from on You tube...

Hey, I LOOOVE knitting threads!

Well, I've finished my Christmas knitting, which was not so onerous this year as it has been in years past. Only five small felted bowls for teacher gifts and a pair of French Press Felted Slippers for dd.

I"m selfishly working on two lace projects for myself right now: Lacy Kerchief Scarf and Ishbel.

2010 will probably bring more wool and cable work from the book A Fine Fleece. I've been wanting to make something from that book. I'll also do more lace because I LOOOVE lace and have a raging addiction to lace knitting. :tongue_smilie: I"m looking for something to knit dd as well, but she's getting to be increasingly picky when it comes to hand knitwear. :001_smile: I was just given a huge, gorgeous hank of hand-dyed roving, so maybe I"ll either learn to spin or have it spun so that I can make a few scarves from it. So that's on the horizon.

Can't wait to hear what the rest of you have planned! I ADORE looking at knitting projects and patterns!

astrid

Oh wow! I may have to learn to knit so I can make that lacy kerchief scarf! That is fabulous!

...I have a scarf to finish (I've made three, so far, for the Littles, and one Big wanted one, as well), and I'm teaching the three youngest to knit.

:blink:

I'd love to do some felting things; I'm a relatively new knitter, and I just did a test piece...it's so awesome!!

I've been working through a friend's copy of Stitch and B*tch...I love it, lol. Totally up my alley, and down my street, as we say here. :D

Wow - my big plan for knitting is to learn how to knit with my daughter (9.) I used to crochet, but the twisting action is just too much for wrists and hands. I look forward to learning this with her and making some fun things.

Funny, how different we all are. I tried to knit something and grabbed the needles so hard that I thought I had carpal tunnel - but I can crochet all day long.

I will stick with my baby jacket, hat and booties regiment but perhaps try new stitches instead of the old double crochet. I love it because things grow so fast.

Oh wow! I may have to learn to knit so I can make that lacy kerchief scarf! That is fabulous!

You know, that's how/why I learned--- I was in a yarn store with my mom and I saw a gorgeous yarn that matched my lavender blazer PERFECTLY. I said, "OHH! MOM! I love this! Would you knit me a scarf to wear with that blazer?" She looked at me and said, "No, but I"ll teach you to knit so you can make your own." So I bought the yarn and dove it. That was ten years ago and I've become addicted.

My mom had the best advice for learning to knit: DO NOT start with cheap yarn from a discount store, and no real direction or project in mind. Choose yarn that you love, for a specific purpose, and you'll be motivated to finish.

I have a very, very busy life-- three part time jobs, dog club duties, volunteer work, etc. and knitting really helps me wind down in the evenings and something about the repetitive motion is soothing and calming for me.

Learn to knit! You won't regret it!

astrid

Ha ha ha, I was just finishing up with drooling over at Ravelry and then came over here. How nice to see a knitting thread! Always makes me so happy.

I just finished up the Lace Beret (#13) in Vogue's Fall issue this morning and cast on the Vine and Leaf Beret (#11) the minute I had the former stretched over a dinner plate to block.

I'm going to do some baby knitting when I'm done with MY beret. I've got my eye on the Baby's First Aran and a cute little cardigan from Dale of Norway that I bought supplies for two years ago.

Beyond that, I'm not sure...having babies certainly cuts into my knitting time! I'd like to do some hats and mittens for the people I'm responsible for via the various family Christmas gift exchanges next year, but no commitment as of yet.

I feel more comfortable crocheting but want to get back to knitting. After finishing a crocheted baby blanket, I want to complete a blanket I've been working on forever. It's just knitted squares in several colors but will at least be a blanket. After that I'm planning to do lots of dish clothes to become familiar with lots of different stitches. They will also be part of the bath baskets I'm planning to make for a craft bazaar. It's not until October so I have some time. However, those plans might be put aside as my daughter and I are taking up weaving (after we open our Christmas presents). Now I just need to figure out exactly what we can make with them.

I've got an irrational fear of dpns and circular needles that I really need to get over :tongue_smilie: It seems every pattern I find recently needs a circular needle or dpns, like these magic mittens The pattern seems easy enough it's just the whole knitting in the round thing that turns my stomach

Circular needles are sooooo easy, you'll love them! Easier than straight needles (no purling, no turning your work), and things knit up so fast.

Knitting with dpns, though, is like wrestling with a fossilized octopus. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

Circular needles are sooooo easy, you'll love them! Easier than straight needles (no purling, no turning your work), and things knit up so fast.

Knitting with dpns, though, is like wrestling with a fossilized octopus. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

and you'll look so clever sitting there knitting with those porcupines. :D Give it a whirl.

knitting really helps me wind down in the evenings and something about the repetitive motion is soothing and calming for me.

astrid

This is why I knit. You summed it up so perfectly! At the end of a loong day alone at home with 5 kids an hour of knitting is balm to my soul.

This is why I knit. You summed it up so perfectly! At the end of a loong day alone at home with 5 kids an hour of knitting is balm to my soul.

Balm to my soul... I love that! It's like that for me, too (unless I'm learning a new pattern :D).

I knit a bunch of these for friends/family this year. They knit up SO fast with super bulky yarns and for people who like to wear scarves inside, they won't fall into things when you're cooking/cleaning! I used different colored yarn and buttons... really had fun with it!

My project for 2010 arrived on my doorstep yesterday.....a spinning wheel! Yes, now that I have the basic knit stitches down, it's time to start spinning my own yarn!! Last night's attempt was a complete mess, but I'm slowly getting the hang of drafting. Slowly. Very slowly. *sigh* If nothing else, the process will teach me patience!:D

-Robin

I've got an irrational fear of dpns and circular needles that I really need to get over :tongue_smilie: It seems every pattern I find recently needs a circular needle or dpns, like these magic mittens The pattern seems easy enough it's just the whole knitting in the round thing that turns my stomach

I think you can, and should, get over it. I had all but given up on knitting. I can knit and purl no problem. My stitches are nice and even. But I drop stitches like crazy and end up with other weird mistakes in my work that I have NO IDEA what happened. I was so frustrated I put my needles away in disgust and didn't touch them for two years. Then I found a cool sock yarn...

I think I need to write my goals down so I stay on track.

Cowl for me (since I'm cold all the time in winter I want something to keep my neck warm that won't get in the way of kitchen duty like a scarf does)

Finish dd's sweater--body is done up to the sleeves

Dh's sweater

Socks for 2 dsil's

Socks for me

Socks for charity

Socks for dh

Socks for 2 ds's

(Can you tell I like to knit socks?)

I may give another go at learning magic loop, but I'm not so sure the rhythm of it suits me. I actually like the rhythm of dpn's.

Cinder

I learned to knit three weeks ago yesterday and thus far I have knit 13 scarves, one Chapstick Sweater , one and 1/6 of a mitten and my plan for the new year is:

Messenger bag for ds. his birthday is at the end of January so I have to get crackin on that.

Cunning hat for dh from Firefly

Fingerless gloves for friend

hat for me

Cafe curtains for girls room

bathmats for bathroom

Swiffer sweeper covers

dishcloths

Who knows that else?

I am toying with the idea of a knitted cell with removable organelles, but we shall see.

You know, that's how/why I learned--- I was in a yarn store with my mom and I saw a gorgeous yarn that matched my lavender blazer PERFECTLY. I said, "OHH! MOM! I love this! Would you knit me a scarf to wear with that blazer?" She looked at me and said, "No, but I"ll teach you to knit so you can make your own." So I bought the yarn and dove it. That was ten years ago and I've become addicted.

My mom had the best advice for learning to knit: DO NOT start with cheap yarn from a discount store, and no real direction or project in mind. Choose yarn that you love, for a specific purpose, and you'll be motivated to finish.

I have a very, very busy life-- three part time jobs, dog club duties, volunteer work, etc. and knitting really helps me wind down in the evenings and something about the repetitive motion is soothing and calming for me.

astrid

Thanks for the advice:D

My major project is the Celtic Icon http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/223341273_1b2f47ac83.jpg?v=0 sweater for ME! I've got the yarn and will be starting it after Christmas.

I've got several socks that need their partners finished.

The new baby boutique in town bought a few baby hats from me and wants more, so...I'll be knitting baby hats.

Every December I wish that I had made felted Christmas stockings for the 3 of us. Maybe 2010 will be the year that that gets done...

My major project is the Celtic Icon http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/223341273_1b2f47ac83.jpg?v=0 sweater for ME! I've got the yarn and will be starting it after Christmas.

I've got several socks that need their partners finished.

The new baby boutique in town bought a few baby hats from me and wants more, so...I'll be knitting baby hats.

Every December I wish that I had made felted Christmas stockings for the 3 of us. Maybe 2010 will be the year that that gets done...

OH MY GOSH that is a GORGEOUS sweater! What yarn/colorway are you doing it in? It's just stunning! Can't wait to see pictures of yours!

astrid

I do my craft things after they're in bed, if I'm still capable of functioning myself and on weekend mornings. Dh takes the kids down to the park for a couple of hours. I can do embroidery during the day if they are playing, because I can pick it up and put it down easily. I can't do that with knitting because I'm so bad at it. For a while there I was doing one row per evening, two on a good night. One row was only 36 stitches! Pretty pathetic, huh? :) I think the other trick if you want to make things during the day while they are around is to make Christmas gifts early in the year so they have time to forget! My mum used to sew for us. We would see the fabric, endure pinning, hear the machine whirring at night, but it was still a surprise on Christmas morning because we'd never seen the finished product.

Most of my wool stash will be going towards embroidery, but I'm hoping to get back to doing a bit of knitting this year. I'm only knitting squares from this but I was working on slip stitch when I was last at it and would like to get back to it. I'm hoping to build my fluency in preparation for making two knitted castles from here in about 5 years time. I think to get them done I might need to start next year! Naturally I don't like her pattern and am intending to adapt patterns from the former book to the project in the latter. Because it isn't difficult enough, you know :glare:

Cowl for me (since I'm cold all the time in winter I want something to keep my neck warm that won't get in the way of kitchen duty like a scarf does)

Heheh. I have one of these, but mine is made from woolen cloth and takes much less time to make than knitting! They are VERY warm!

Those slippers are so cool, Astrid!

Rosie- hoping to learn to knit lace one day!

Edited by Rosie_0801

OH MY GOSH that is a GORGEOUS sweater! What yarn/colorway are you doing it in? It's just stunning! Can't wait to see pictures of yours!

astrid

I got Berroco Ultra Alpaca in salt & pepper. Not quite what the pattern calls for, but I'll make it work...

Edited by BugsMom

and you'll look so clever sitting there knitting with those porcupines. :D Give it a whirl.

so like I cast on a pair of socks and knit 4 inches tonight. I needed to feel clever, and I did. I can still wrestle a pointy octopus and make a pair of socks. Spiral Tube Socks in Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick. My kids love those socks and I love them because they always fit even when their feet sprout and inch or two overnight. Yee Haaah, socks!

My biggest issue has been that the kids are around all day and the baby doesn't let me do it at night either. It's been taking her an hour or more to get her down at night. Then when she's asleep, she wakes back up minutes after I turn the light back on. Leaving the bed doesn't work either. It's been after 11pm before I can get her passed out enough for me to turn the bedside light on.

So, my kids are each getting one sock for Christmas. The matches will go much faster once I can work in front of them.