Menu

S/O What was the WORST book you read this year?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Twilight. It was atrocious. I've read cereal boxes with more captivating plots and intriguing characters than that.

Though I enjoyed Twilight, I think this was the funniest thing I've read all day. I don't get all the crazy love and obsession with Twilight. It was fun, but not the best I've read. And after seeing Edward shirtless in the movie, I am definitely not on Team Edward at all. Barf.

I hated She's Come Undone, LOVED I Know This Much is True, and haven't been able to get past the first two chapters of The Hour I First Believed.

I can certainly say this about Wally Lamb. He's not an author one can accuse of following a particular formula.

I loved I Know This Much is True. I finished She's Come Undone but did not love it like I did IKTMIT.

That's OK. I have Oprah on my side. ;) :001_smile:

:lol:

I hated She's Come Undone, LOVED I Know This Much is True, and haven't been able to get past the first two chapters of The Hour I First Believed.

I can certainly say this about Wally Lamb. He's not an author one can accuse of following a particular formula.

I bought IKTMIT, but haven't been brave enough to start it yet. :001_huh:

URGH. Didn't even come close to finishing it. Picked it up after my sis left it at my house on her last visit.

Mary

I hated the movie, so I've been reluctant to read the book... maybe I should skip that one...

I know I read a Jodi Picoult book at the insistence of a friend. I don't remember which one, so I assume it was awful.

I have read just one Jodi Picoult book, My Sister's Keeper. The premise was fascinating, but there was so much about her writing that I didn't like.

My friend claims Ms. Picoult as her favorite author, but from the summaries she shares with me, I feel I will have the same issues reading her other books that I had with the first one I chose.

Well, I ditched Edith Wharton's The Children a few chapters in.

I tried to read Ethan Frome this year and couldn't get into it. :(

I have read just one Jodi Picoult book, My Sister's Keeper. The premise was fascinating, but there was so much about her writing that I didn't like.

My friend claims Ms. Picoult as her favorite author, but from the summaries she shares with me, I feel I will have the same issues reading her other books that I had with the first one I chose.

Jodi Picoult's books are like a train wreck that I can't help looking at... but I always hate them in the end. :confused:

Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox. I loved his Lucky Man, so I'd expected to enjoy this one too.

Touched By a Vampire: Discovering the Hidden Messages in the Twilight Series by Beth Felker Jones. She must have known someone big at the publishing company. And they should have lost their job over this.

Glenn Beck's The Christmas Sweater. I'm in love with Glenn...just not his fiction.

Saving Alice by David Lewis (husband of Christian author Beverly Lewis).

I liked reliving the "good books" thread!

Some of our reading interests must be similar!

I, too, enjoyed Lucky Man, although I didn't like some of the language, and was a bit disappointed with Always Looking Up.

I enjoyed The Christmas Sweater until the ending . . . Same with Saving Alice - didn't care for that ending . . .

"Twilight". Mind-numbingly boring. Awful characterization. Simple sentences. Abuse & manipulation. And don't even get me started on the impact of these being 'role models' for teen girls. Argh. Once he started glittering in a field, I was done. Could not finish it.

Glittering in a field?

I've managed to not read those. My sister loves them. She's the one that had me read Wicked and Son of a Witch. They were okay. Nothing to rave about, but m'eh, I didn't wish I could take back the time, iykwIm.

I've been tempted to try Twighlight, just to get her off my back, but now I'm thinking ignorance is bliss :lol:

Absolutely did not like "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

As others have posted, I generally will not finish a book that I do not like, but since this is a *classic* I had never read, I was determined to finish it. What a waste of time!

All I remember about that book (read it in high school) was something about a woman being hit by a car and her b00k flopping back and forth. I didn't like it much either and just skimmed it, but that popped out at me :lol:

Guest Cindie2dds

The Time Traveler's Wife. I kept reading because so many people said it was an amazing book, a must read! Too choppy, too much s3x, and overall just pathetic. Sorry if you liked it. :blush:

Edited by Cindie2dds

I read Twilight. It was atrocious. I've read cereal boxes with more captivating plots and intriguing characters than that. Time Traveller's Wife was only slightly better, but still an appalling waste of perfectly good trees.

:party:Perfect summary, Audrey!

Dr. Strange and Mr. Norell (I think I got that title correct). My brother raved about it but I found it so boring.

Couldn't get into that one when I tried it a few years ago.

URGH. Didn't even come close to finishing it. Picked it up after my sis left it at my house on her last visit.
(The Jane Austen Book Club)

Oh yeah... another one I didn't finish because I disliked it.

Wow, it's funny to read this thread. I've seen quite a few on here that I started & never finished (& promptly forgot about, until being reminded of them in this thread, lol).

Glittering in a field?

I've managed to not read those. My sister loves them. She's the one that had me read Wicked and Son of a Witch. They were okay. Nothing to rave about, but m'eh, I didn't wish I could take back the time, iykwIm.

I've been tempted to try Twighlight, just to get her off my back, but now I'm thinking ignorance is bliss :lol:

LOL. Well, I'd go w/ your gut. (Read Anne Rice's vampire books or The Historian instead. Please.)

If you decide to read Twilight, you can't say I didn't warn you! :lol:

(BTW, here's a great Twilight-related post that echoes a lot of my thoughts on it.... One of my favorite quotes includes, "...a vampire that glitters like diamonds in the sunlight to attract prey — sorta like a stalky My Little Pony with fangs".) :D

Guest Cindie2dds
Dr. Strange and Mr. Norell (I think I got that title correct). My brother raved about it but I found it so boring. (P.S. Moby Dick is one of my favorite books. .. .)

:iagree: It was highly recommended at a used book store I frequent. I didn't make it past the first chapter. Should have done that with Time Traveler's Wife. :glare:

Well, its probably not fair, because I never finished either one, but Outlander (Gabaldon) and The Lost Symbol (Brown).

At least with The Lost Symbol, I go back every now and then and read a couple more pages, and plan to finish it someday... Not so with Outlander.

Ah... Outlander. I didn't comment on that because the OP asked what was the worst we'd read this year, and it's been years since I lost several hours to that preposterous assemblage of loo roll only marginally disguised as tome.

LOL. Well, I'd go w/ your gut. (Read Anne Rice's vampire books or The Historian instead. Please.)

If you decide to read Twilight, you can't say I didn't warn you! :lol:

(BTW, here's a great Twilight-related post that echoes a lot of my thoughts on it.... One of my favorite quotes includes, "...a vampire that glitters like diamonds in the sunlight to attract prey — sorta like a stalky My Little Pony with fangs".) :D

Now, that would've gotten my attention 25 years ago :lol:

1. The Shack-could NOT get into this

2. My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult--depressing, and I hated most of the characters

3. The Alchemist--I liked it at the beginning, but then, it felt like a very long winded, "mystic" lecture.

Whoever said the Time Traveler's Wife was just so-so. I agree! In fact, I had a terrible time slugging through that one.

As for The Good Earth...I LOVED that book:)

Great post! It's neat to see how differently(or the same), we interpret books!

Well, its probably not fair, because I never finished either one, but Outlander (Gabaldon) and The Lost Symbol (Brown).

At least with The Lost Symbol, I go back every now and then and read a couple more pages, and plan to finish it someday... Not so with Outlander.

I am so glad to read that I'm not the only person in the world that didn't LOVE Outlander. I read it but at the end all I could think was that it was a romance type novel. I handed it off to my sister who will probably love it but I won't be rushing out to buy any of the sequals. I can't really define what I didn't like about it other than it seemed like a romance novel.

I am so glad to read that I'm not the only person in the world that didn't LOVE Outlander. I read it but at the end all I could think was that it was a romance type novel. I handed it off to my sister who will probably love it but I won't be rushing out to buy any of the sequals. I can't really define what I didn't like about it other than it seemed like a romance novel.

I have tried a few times to get into Outlander. My sister passed the entire series on to my, but they just sit on the shelf. I don't think I have made it past the third chapter.

I have tried a few times to get into Outlander. My sister passed the entire series on to my, but they just sit on the shelf. I don't think I have made it past the third chapter.

Trust me. It doesn't get any better from there!

Page 63 here. 13 pages past the If Nothing's Happening By Page 50 Rule. I tried really hard to like it because I feel bad disregarding an author's hard work, but I just couldn't do it w/that one.

(And I really liked the Time Traveler's Wife, too. Not sure I'd read it again, but I liked it when I read it the first time. Although, I agree with another poster that some of the s*x was a bit TMI - for me, anyway)

Running with Scissors. Guess I hadn't read the reviews on that one. Way too much "private" info to be in a book, imo.

If asked what was the worst book I'd read in 2008, that would be it. Terrible book. :glare:

AUGH!!! I can't take it anymore!!! I LOVE The Time Traveler's Wife! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Ok, I feel better. Carry on :blush:

Dorinda

PS - I read Wicked the year it came out and I don't understand that book At all!!! What a sick guy!

okay, I was all set to agree with you.... but I also loved Wicked. I'm starting Son of a Witch now. :D

Don't stone me but Twilight had to be the all time worst book I have read. I liked Wicked. Having heard about the Shack I have avoided it. I am currently reading Blame and if something doesn't change soon it is on its way to the so dull I would rather watch the news pile.

the If Nothing's Happening By Page 50 Rule.

Now this is a rule I should consider. I always finish a book...even if it is awful. It's compulsive. And sometimes I keep hoping the book will redeem itself like "it can't possibly be as awful as it seems so it is going to get better any minute now."

And here is another confession: I have a strange desire now to look into some of these "awful" books you have all named (like Outlander) just to see what is so awful about them. What is WRONG with me? Sheesh. Is there such a thing as literary rubber-necking?

The Friday Night Knitting Club.

It's the knitting part that sucked me in. Well, that and the fact that it was a "sale" book on Audible.com. Maybe it was the narrator, but ugh. Yuck.

Ugh. Me too. I read *two* knitting books last year and both of them weren't worthy of being used in the bathroom.

Well, I liked Outlander. Seems like few people want to admit it :lol:

Romance writers & readers generally consider it romance though Gabaldon herself has sometimes been quite snippy about it not being romance & I believe she's turned down invites to speak at romance writer conventions. :001_rolleyes: Whatever.

For the record, I write and read romance and don't find it sneer worthy. :D

It's not the best book I read (& I read it years ago) but I did enjoy it - though there is a violent sexual assault at the end which I think could have been handled better. Dh read this book too & liked it until that point..... I read the first sequel and liked that too but by the 3rd, Gabaldon was losing me. I do pick up her Lord John books once in a while & generally enjoy them.

Edited by hornblower

Guest Cindie2dds
If Nothing's Happening By Page 50 Rule.

Wonderful! This is exactly what I'm going to do the next time I get a "must read" from someone and I'm tempted to do some "literary rubbernecking." :D

One of my closet friends in our hs group wants the lot of us hsing group knitters to read The Friday Night Knitting Club. She's a pretty smart cookie, so I wasn't concerned that it might be awful, & requested it through ILL

I need to ask what is wrong with it. :tongue_smilie: Should I pretend to have read it?

As for Outlander, I enjoyed them at first. I just recently finished "Echo in the Bone." I like it in that way you like your family members who you would never be friends with if they weren't related to you. I guess I mean I feel devoted to the characters because I feel like we have a history together. If I were to pick up the series right now I wouldn't want to continue.