Menu

Lush S/O - your favoite wine

A crisp, cold green-pear noted Italian Pinot Grigio -- slightly effervescent.

Plummy, smooth Cabernet with lots of spice and black cherry notes.

I don't have a particular brand, but I have a highly unscientific method :) when I purchase a bottle of wine. I go to a reputable purveyor (in our state, grocery stores can sell) because they often provide little labels showing the "points" that have been awarded at wine festivals, and from magazine reviews. These descriptions are very helpful. I then look at see which is one sale for the highest percentage. For example, a $25 bottle on sale for $12 has a better chance of being great than a $12 bottle on sale for $10. I'd rather spend $2 more and get a great, great value.

Don't be afraid of boxes and screwtops. Some of the best wines coming out from new vineyards are being processed this way. If you don't drink often, boxed wine is a GREAT way to go...it will stay fresher a lot longer.

I only drink wine occasionally, perhaps 3 times a month, perhaps a little more often during the holidays. I wouldn't mind having a small glass every night, but I just don't.

Do you want before the recession or after? :lol: We try to limit ourselves to wines under $10, and you would be surprised how many are really awesome, even at as little as $3 a bottle.

Look for wines from Chile, Argentina, South Africa, a few from Australia, and even a few from Spain & Italy.

The Red's...Right now we love La Granja Tempranillo (a Spanish wine), Jebediah Drinkwell Meritage (a Cali wine for under $10!!!), Layer Cake 2008 Malbec Mendoza & The DOC “Luján de Cuyoâ€. Of course, we we have a really tight week, 2009 La Finca Malbec from Trader Joe's is wonderful at ~$4, and the 2 buck chuck Shiraz is not either.

I'm not a big white wine drinker, but some of the Chilean whites are very nice. One I like is Concha y Toro 2007 Casillero del Diablo & Los Gansos.

It does not hurt that I have three Trader Joe's, three Whole Foods, and two Total Wines withing 10 miles of my home. We really are spoiled at the selection of affordable and tastes wines.

I'm not a huge wine drinker (or drinker of alcohol at all) but, I do like St. James Winery's Velvet wines and their fruit wines. The black berry and cherry wines are especially good. These are all under $10 a bottle. I've not tried any other brands; those long shelves of bottle after bottle of wine is intimidating!

My go-to brand is Meridian. The quality is very good relative to the price, and I can usually get it for less than $6/bottle. I heard about it from my cousin who is the head chef at an upscale restaurant.

My secret love is Livingston Sangria, but I don't like to talk about it because it's equivalent to saying you like to drink Boone's Farm. Shhhhh....

I really acquired a taste for the German Rieslings when we lived in the vineyards. We lived on the Nahe and I like wines from the Nahe, the Pfalz and the Mosel. I'm a Kabbinett girl but I'll drink a Spatslese or an Auslese. I like them half-trocken or mild.

You might try getting a few different wines of a particular type. this is easy with German wines because they are so clearly marked. For example, you could get a Kabbinett, a Spatslese and an Auslese all from the Mosel or Rheinhessen. You could get them tocken (dry), half-trocken (middle) and mild (sweet). Then, you could do a little tasting. You'll see (taste) the difference. The Auslese will be fruiter and the Kabbinett lighter.

I will say the Chateau Ste. Michelle in Washington state also makes some decent wines. They have some good Rieslings and Gewurztraminer. They have a 2007 Riesling from the Columbia Valley that I particularly like.

When you do a tasting you start with the driest wine and move sweeter. You could do the same Pinots or Chardonnays. I would definitely start with white wines over reds. Reds tend to have an oaky flavor that not everyone likes.

Here are a couple of articles that might help:

How to read wine labels

About Riesling classifications

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I love Rieslings. German ones are the best. I like Polka Dot with the pink label. Wasn't too crazy about the green label. It's cheap but yummy.

Otherwise, I prefer wines from South America and Australia. Very good and a good price. I tried a South African wine once and wasn't impressed. However, our neighbors are South AFrican so they may be able to make some recommendations.

When we want to splurge, we get Eberle Zinfandel (it is red, not white). We love it. It has won some awards. We found out about it because the owners of the winery went to church with us when we lived in CA. I was so glad to find it being sold in the wine stores here. St. Francis also makes a good merlot.

red = Merlot

white = Pinot Grigio

It's been a long time since I could really drink. I think the Blackstone Merlot was pretty good. There's better and there's worse. It was a reasonable price range. The more expensive the wine, the less often I can treat myself, this is more of an everyday wine. It pairs well with pasta.

I can't remember what my favorite Pinot Grigio was.

To the OP, yes, crappy wine can make a difference. I never cared for wine until I worked in an Italian restaurant that was considered "fine dining". I got to sample some nice wines there and that's where I developed a taste for wine.

The Red's...Right now we love La Granja Tempranillo (a Spanish wine),

This one is a new discovery for me, and I like it too! I like Spanish, Portuguese and Chilean wines (though my husband not as much).

I am fortunate to live in Oregon, where Cali wines are cheap and the locals are making some really good wines as well.

I give my non-wine friends Menage a Trois (Folie a Deux) and they all freak out. It is sweet, so not as good with dinner, but for a girl's chat or movie night it is fabulous. I buy it on sale for $9.

Splurge wine is Baco Noir by Giardet Winery... $15 and tastes like liquid romance.

Cheapo wine (when I use it for cooking and the finish the bottle) is Australia's Little Penguin Merlot ($5).

I usually buy on sale, and try to stay in the $8- $10 range, and I have rarely been disappointed. When I am, it is all part of the adventure! Drinking wine is more than drinking wine... it is an event, a story, and sometimes a journey.

To the OP, yes, crappy wine can make a difference. I never cared for wine until I worked in an Italian restaurant that was considered "fine dining". I got to sample some nice wines there and that's where I developed a taste for wine.

Good, maybe it isn't me then.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm going to try again, with some of your recommendations.

I really acquired a taste for the German Rieslings when we lived in the vineyards. We lived on the Nahe and I like wines from the Nahe, the Pfalz and the Mosel. I'm a Kabbinett girl but I'll drink a Spatslese or an Auslese. I like them half-trocken or mild.

You might try getting a few different wines of a particular type. this is easy with German wines because they are so clearly marked. For example, you could get a Kabbinett, a Spatslese and an Auslese all from the Mosel or Rheinhessen. You could get them tocken (dry), half-trocken (middle) and mild (sweet). Then, you could do a little tasting. You'll see (taste) the difference. The Auslese will be fruiter and the Kabbinett lighter.

I will say the Chateau Ste. Michelle in Washington state also makes some decent wines. They have some good Rieslings and Gewurztraminer. They have a 2007 Riesling from the Columbia Valley that I particularly like.

A girl after my own heart. I went through a streak when I was first drinking wine that I loved the Nahe region reislings. I might have to go pick up a bottle since you have me thinking about it.

A crisp, cold green-pear noted Italian Pinot Grigio -- slightly effervescent.

I only drink wine occasionally, perhaps 3 times a month, perhaps a little more often during the holidays. I wouldn't mind having a small glass every night, but I just don't.

Sounds perfect to me. I also like citrusy notes. Nothing sweet, I prefer light and dry.

Good wine does not have to be expensive.

Good wine is whatever wine YOU like.

I watched an awesome netflix show called John Cleese's Wine for the Confused it was funny, informative, and down to earth enjoyable.

Oh sutter winery isn't too far away from me, nice to visit if anyone is into doing that.

both dh and I grew up in tee-totaler homes. We didn't drink a lick until we moved to Europe...then it was to cut our teeth on French, Italian, and German wines.

One of my favorites is Kendall Jackson's Chardonnay. One of my favorite meals is a supper of cold shrimp with spicy sauce and a selection of crackers and cheeses with a chilled glass of chardonnay. Maybe a salad to go with that.

We also love a hearty chianti classico for summer cookouts. Very italian. Great with a juicy steak.

Another wine I enjoy is anything from the Rhone valley in France, especially the reds. I like the Blackstone Merlot, too.

One of my favorite wines each year is a Beaujolais Nouveau. It's a young wine from France made with last summer's grapes. It always comes out about Thanksgiving and is usually snatched up in a few short weeks. It is a red wine that is very, very drinkable.

In short, I like dry wines with some spice and complexity. I do not want alcoholic kool-aid. Blech. lol

I've also gotten a tiny bottle of champagne to tuck into dh's stocking. Private celebration, ya know;)

They have a great Merlot too!

Well, great to me, anyway, but I have a VERY simple method for rating wine.

If it's red and dry :thumbup:

If it's white . . . meh. I'll save my carb allowance for something else.

If it's sweet :ack2:

It's a simple system, but it works. :D

This is pretty much my system too. ;) I started out drinking sweet wines, but have moved on to Merlots and Syrahs. Now I can barely tolerate sweet wine. I do try to avoid bitter wine..I like dry but not bitter.

I agree drinking wine is an event. It is fun learning about new wines. New for me anyway.

:iagree:

Lately I've gotten into the really spicy and complex, like zinfandel (red, not white) and carmenere. A good Cab (especially from the Paso Robles region of California, like Liberty School or J. Lohr) is my go-to wine, though.

My favourite white is Sauvignon Blanc. I will not touch the Aussie savs with a 10 foot pole, they are universally awful!! I tried the "when in Rome" thing for a year after we moved and then decided that I wasn't going to assault my tastebuds any longer. I like New Zealand Marlborough Savs, they are more expensive but much nicer. I did have a very very tasty Napa Valley sav when I was in the US, yummo!!

For reds, I really really love New Zealand Martinborough Pinot Noir, but they are definitely a special treat because YEOUCH they cost a lot. Other than that I like Merlot, and I find even a quite cheap Aussie merlot to be quite palatable and I like a few South American merlots. I'm pretty unfussy with my merlots.

The one thing that I found really fascinating when I was in the US was the use of corks. It's unusual here now to get a bottle with a cork, most are screw top. In fact I was living in NZ when the change started, and all the wine makers put their most expensive wines in screw tops first to make a point about the benefits of screw tops over corks. Generally only cheap wine is bottled with corks here (usually fake ones) I do miss the lovely corks though, they were so decorative.

I like New Zealand Marlborough Savs, they are more expensive but much nicer.
I think most Sav Blancs taste mostly like I think the lawn would taste ([bleah]). The Marlborough County ones are the sole exception, they're great. If you're trying to learn to like wine, someone else mentioned the San Margherita Pinot Grigio and it is sweet and easy to drink. A nice step up from that is the Kendall Jackson Chardonnay is pretty good place to start for white wine, inoffensive and easy to drink.

And to go into the reds, which aren't my favorites in general, but the Francis Ford Coppola wines are an easy way to start. We like Australian wines here, and Shiraz is the red my husband and I can agree on, but I'm getting more adventurous .... I've had some Merlot recently that I actually didn't hate!

My dad runs the wine bar at the restaurant he co-owns so on the rare occasions I do drink, it's something excellent and not too cheap. lol I'm a champagne girl, which sucks in this economy, even though I only drink it a few times a year. I like Veuve Clicquot.

Chenin Blanc from S. Africa, various Chardonnays (mainly Californian, but Australia and Chile put out some nice ones) and Sauvignon Blancs, and I actually like some rose wines, too.

My favorite place to check for wine suggestions (since I'm usually giving it and not buying for myself! lol): http://www.winespectator.com/dailypicks/category/catid/1 There's a tab for value wines, too. GOOD value wines.

See now I cannot stand a dry wine. Or a dry any kind of drink for that matter. It seems counter to the point of a drink to me.

But I don't like alcoholic koolaid either. Which is what I would call wild vines for example.

If I want a sweeter wine, I'll splurge for a dessert wine. With homemade chocolate cheesecake. Ummm yummm!

See now I cannot stand a dry wine. Or a dry any kind of drink for that matter. It seems counter to the point of a drink to me.

But I don't like alcoholic koolaid either. Which is what I would call wild vines for example.

If I want a sweeter wine, I'll splurge for a dessert wine. With homemade chocolate cheesecake. Ummm yummm!

Oh I had one of these from WA state one year....what was the name....made from post freeze grapes? Ice something? Yum. It was good. But normally I like a dry wine...used to LOVE Red Muscadine wine...which is common here in AR.

I avoid wines with certain words in the description on the back of the bottle:

cherry

smokey

mesquite

mint

hickory

descriptive words that tend to be enjoyed:

citrus

crisp

buttery

creamy

melon

smooth

spicy

warm

now that dh is home I can tell the actual names. He is my buyer. ;)

Gallo Cafe

Gallo white merlot

Gallo White zinfindel

stone buff royal dessert wine

berringer white zinfindel

fallen angels mischief (normally this is really good, but I got a bad bottle 4th of July weekend)

All of those are under $10, most less than $6. Wine is a treat in this house but even our treats are on a limited budget. There is no way I would ever spend more than $15, and I'd feel like a big spender at that. lol

Blueberry Champagne. If anyone knows where to get it... Please pm me. I had it in MI from one of the malls. Best stuff I've ever had. I could have drunk the entire bottle!!! It was about $20.... (course.. that's what I think it was... it was 20 years ago, almost!)

I lovvvvve it... and wish I had a case right now!

Carrie

Good wine does not have to be expensive.

Good wine is whatever wine YOU like.

:iagree:This is absolutely true. I drink my coffee strong and black. I like darker beers and hate hops. I like my wines crisp and dry. Offer me a fruity or sweet wine and I'd rather have water.

Not every taste is for everybody but being open to try new things allows you to explore and find new tastes that might be for you. Take note of what you do like (sweet vs bitter, heavy vs light, etc) and you'll be able to find something that appeals to you in a bottle of wine.

:iagree:

Lately I've gotten into the really spicy and complex, like zinfandel (red, not white) and carmenere. A good Cab (especially from the Paso Robles region of California, like Liberty School or J. Lohr) is my go-to wine, though.

Love Liberty School Cab Sav and J.Lohr has been my fav vineyard since I started to have wine - 20 years!! I adore their Gewurtstraminer (sp?)

My favorite splurge right now is La Crema Pinot Noir. Oh! :tongue_smilie: It's like butta. It's also about $17 a bottle, so I don't have it often.

For cheap but good I like Red Truck and even Yellow Tail reds. Very good and not more than $6 a bottle.

Op - temperature plays a big roll in how a wine tastes, too. Some need to be cold, vaguely chilled or served room temp. Makes a really big difference in how they taste.

My favs? Well, with food at home I prefer a big Chianti like Gabbiano Chianti Classico or a Pinot Noir like Mondavi or Chateau St. Michelle (although there are a lot of good choices for under $12 with the California Pinot Noirs).

For sipping, I prefer a Syrah (or Shiraz), red Zinfandel or a regular red table wine consisting of a blend of cabernet, syrah and sangiovese (percentages in that order). My affordable favs of late are Lot 205 - No. 1 Red (blend, not sure what, but I'm guessing mostly syrah and zinfandel), Syrah and Pinot Noir are all good, and under $10. Coppola's Rosso is nice (but the Zin I literally can't stand - too smokey). Mondovi and Chateau St. Michelle both make nice versions of all the above.

Also, I have never had a lousy French red. Love Cotes du Rhone almost as much as I love the American west coast Syrahs and Pinot Noirs!

Happy sampling! There are so many affordable wines out there, have fun taste testing them until you find the right grape or combo of them, then check the various vinyards versions to see which ones you like best.

ETA - I just went hunting around online to see what exactly made up the Lot 205 No. 1 Red that I like so much - I was wrong about the combination. Its Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah. You can click on Tasting Notes to get the flavor explanation for all the Lot 205 wines here, if you are interested. Sometimes reading the description is really helpful in deciding to try it.

Edited by LauraGB