Menu

Anyone else facing hardship this Christmas? CC

My dh is going through a seasonal layoff and is drawing unemployment, and last week was a waiting week without a paycheck. We've been through this kind of thing before, and know we'll get through it -- but it quite honestly takes prayer to stay away from depression this time of year. I am making a focused effort on keeping traditions going -- especially for the sake of my dd. We are baking cookies, playing Christmas music and we have a tree. I have not shopped for gifts at all so far, and am not sure I'll be able to do much next week either. My family might just get cookies for Christmas!

This isn't a whining post, believe me. We are making our mortgage payment, have lights and water and food to eat. Things could be much worse. I'm not defeated by any sense of the word, as my faith is firmly holding me together. I pray scripture over our situation and trust that the Lord is taking good care of us.

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19

I am just curious to know if anyone else is facing a tough Christmas this year. If so, why not share so we can encourage and pray for each other?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I will definitely pray for you. We're not there yet but my dh knows he will permanently loose his job in February when the mill he has worked at for 21 yr will close its doors. This is very concerning for us because it not only means unemployment it most likely means moving. The town we live in has limited employment opportunities for anyone let alone my dh and on top of that, although we own our home, there is no market given that 534 other people will loose their jobs too and our town is only about 8500 people.

I too am praying and reading scripture and know God will provide but it is very difficult not to feel panic at times. We have already had to make difficult decisions and the rollercoaster of emotions is draining at times.

So this Christmas is not like any we have had. We will start 2010 with many unknowns. We never expected to be in this position but we are keen to see what God has in store for us as we explore our options.

Thank you Rose, and I will pray for you as well. God must have something amazing for your family up ahead or He wouldn't give you this testing of faith. Stay focused on Him this Christmas, and know that He is with you every step of the way.

:grouphug:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, we are there too. If it were not for a blessing from a friend of ours (sowing seed she calls it) there would be cookies for Christmas here too. ;) Praying blessings for your family this season.

Thank you, Free! I'm blessed to hear how God has provided for your family this year. Sometimes its so hard to receive, but there are some valuable lessons to be learned from it. May this be the best Christmas ever!

Lucinda

We don't have a place to live, we lost a lot of our valuable stuff (wedding rings, baby jewelry) in a robbery and we're not having presents until we get into a home. We're staying in hotels and now an RV park.

We feel your pain... We have a job now, but no home. Strange, eh?

What a bad, bad, bad year... :bored:

It'll all be better soon. 2010 is coming in a couple of weeks and it can't be NEARLY as bad as 2008-2009 were!!! :D Good luck!

We don't have a place to live, we lost a lot of our valuable stuff (wedding rings, baby jewelry) in a robbery and we're not having presents until we get into a home. We're staying in hotels and now an RV park.

We feel your pain... We have a job now, but no home. Strange, eh?

What a bad, bad, bad year... :bored:

It'll all be better soon. 2010 is coming in a couple of weeks and it can't be NEARLY as bad as 2008-2009 were!!! :D Good luck!

Thank you for posting about your situation, Starrbuck. I will, as I'm sure many others reading this thread will, pray for you and your dear family to find a home very soon. At least the little ones find their security in the comfort of parents and siblings, and they are resilient....but still, things will be much better when you find a home again.

I'm going to pray that God gives you an amazing, wonderful Christmas that you will look back on for years to come as you remember how faithful He is.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes. Two unexpected expenses and everything has snowballed.

Hold on to Phil. 4:19. God is good and He is faithful. I was a single mother with three little boys for seven years and understand what you are facing.

I'm praying with you, sister. :grouphug:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Dh has been laid off since about this time last year. He's had temp jobs throughout the year, but it really gets to him he has nothing permanent. Depression has already set in. He is not a Christian and very pessimistic, not a good combination. He starts drinking-smiley-12.gif and talking divorce.

I just finished my teaching license, but have no job (well, part time tutoring). I hold Christmas together every year. I'm mostly ok, like happysmiliegif6.gif, but sometimes it's more like Iamsmilingsmilie.gif.

He told me yesterday, and is moving out today.

It will be a very hard Christmas. Right now, I am not sure how I will survive the day.

Michelle T

:grouphug:. My dh has been saying that for a few weeks now. It's hard not knowing what is going to happen.

It will be a very hard Christmas. Right now, I am not sure how I will survive the day.

Michelle T

The pain you feel must be overwhelming, and surely magnified because it is Christmas time. Please know that I am praying for you and am trusting that God will intervene in your life. Many years ago I was in your shoes, so my heart goes out to you today. It may not feel like it right at this moment, but you will survive this and you will be fine. It just hurts like crazy right now. Please do believe me, you will live and you will grow and mature through this like you wouldn't believe.

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28

Do feel free to pm me anytime you need prayer or a shoulder to cry on.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My sister and her boyfriend were hit by a drunk driver on Saturday. She survived; her boyfriend did not. She has a broken neck and bruises. The funeral is today. Will be a tough Christmas here for sure.

Prayer for you and your situation, with tears.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Hold on to Phil. 4:19. God is good and He is faithful. I was a single mother with three little boys for seven years and understand what you are facing.

I'm praying with you, sister. :grouphug:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks. :001_smile: It all happened so fast! I'm looking for a job, too, so I can have $$ in the bank. I hate this!

Things are tight here. We are spending a lot of time trying to make Christmas gifts from materials we already have in hand.

:grouphug: to those who are going through some really hard emotional and financial times.

Right there with you. I've leaned on this since I was young: Ps. 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

Praying for all those in such dire straits this Christmas!!!!!

Yesterday afternoon I would have posted that we are in the "hardship" camp. God is working on me, though, so that I can see all the good in my life. Reading this thread has just cemented in my mind how blessed I really am.

I finished Christmas shopping last night thanks to some generous friends on this board.;) My dh has a steady job. We have a home and each other. What more could I ask for?

Again, may we all join our prayers together for peace and mercy to all those suffering!

All I can offer are prayers.

From Psalm 119: 76-77 and 81

76Let your steadfast love comfort me

according to your promise to your servant.

77Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;

for your law is my delight.

81My soul longs for your salvation;

I hope in your word.

Please don't ever minimize the offer of prayer. That is the most wonderful thing anyone can offer, and that is what this thread is all about.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayers. They are cherished.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, it's a hard one for us this year as well. Dh lost his job last year at this time. Thankfully there was a severance and he found another job two months in. However, the job only pays about 40% of what he was getting paid and the severance will be gone in Feb. His job will not pay more than our mortgage payment and our tithe. Dh started an automotive repair business on the side (which is brining in some money, but the taxes are insane!) however his hours vary with his day job as it's all on-call. He can get started on something and then get called out to drive several hours away which not only drives him crazy being in the car so long, but also postpones anything else he might've accomplished that day. He has felt the sting of defeat all year long.

Like Rose said, it can be hard not to panic. We're praying for direction but as of yet, all we hear is "wait". We've had our hopes brought up and then dashed so many times this year as there was talk in different companies about hiring him. But then due to the economy, they all fizzled out. I become scared out of my mind if I dwell on the situation for too long.

Praying for everyone here.

It's always interesting for us!

We are missionaries living on the support of individuals and a few churches. We don't make much in the good times! Right now, we are scratching it out. It's a bummer! Anyway, every Christmas is a walk of faith. But, for us, that's no different than every other time of the year, so, it is what it is.

I think what maybe makes it a little easier is seeing that, comparatively, we have a LOT! Not that it takes away the frustration because we know enought to know that we aren't anywhere near where our peers are. Our kids are old enough to see it too.

But, God is good. It's really helped us to focus on the simple things. I'm grateful, and noone can take that away from me.

Michelle T

Oh, Dear Heart. I'm so sorry. You will survive. You will.

Sending all the good wishes, prayers and everything else I can.

Chris:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Michelle T

Wow.... I'm so sorry.... If you're a Christian... Have you called on the church? Do you have Elders... Mentors.... Wish we were there with hugs and love for you. Be sure to ask for help. People are busy, but usually there's a good amount of help.... if you just ask......

Maybe make an appt for a Counseling Session.. now?? :grouphug::grouphug:

Sorry as you go through this darkness...

Carrie

This will be the toughest year since I have been married. We are barely paying for necessities. We scrounged enough for Chistmas for the girls, but everyone else will have to understand.

Just trying to keep my spirits up and not bawl everyday. It is a big hole and I am at the bottom w/no shovel.

I am just praying everyday and starting to exercise to keep my mind active. If I think too much I fall apart.

Prayers and hugs to all of us, at least God is on our side.

Yes, we are holding firm to Christ's promise to carry us in hard times. My dh is unemployed (since Aug). We are pregnant with #4 due in April. We just sold our home but we don't know where we will live or find work. Christmas is really different this year but we are joyful that we are healthy and protected by God's might hand.

Susan

Yes, it is a difficult time for us, too. Dh is under-employed (but thankfully employed); however, his last check for this year came today, and no more paydays until the end of January, so I am trying not to stress over the bills that are and will be due at the end of December and the middle and end of January. Added to this is ds's cancer - the physical, emotional, and financial strain. Plus, my mom is not doing well and I dread every time the phone rings. We live a goodly distance away and cannot be there as often as we'd like (between ds's medical schedule and the finances). These are the top three *issues* we are dealing with, but there is more. Our only hope is in God and the promises in His Word.

The posts on this thread are so sad, yet I sense that hopeful spirit in God in so many of the posts. It is so good (and encouraging) to know that people are believing God and people are taking it upon their hearts to pray for all these needs!

My husband had pneumonia a few weeks ago. His medical leave was unpaid. Our kids have been sick (minor things from allergies and IBS). Our oven is messed up, it burns everything we put in it. That means no turkey, cookies or anything else we typically have at Christmas. Now, our car (the only car we have) is having transmission issues. My husband is borrowing a car from his parents. He had to drive the big church van to work one day. It seems like every time we turn around, something else happens. There has been a man coming here the last few weeks for financial assistance. (We live by a church) He came by this morning and said he had $25.00 left from what we gave him last week. (Last week he said he would pay us back) He said he did not have a gift for his wife. So I told him to keep the $25.00 and use it. He said what he wanted to get her cost $160.00, so could he have more? :001_huh: I thought, "You have got to be kidding me". I told him I was sorry but I could not give him any more money. (our church youth and our family combined have given him around $300.00 over the last 4-6 weeks.) I felt bad about turning someone away, but I don't have a present for my husband, and I am not expecting someone to hand me over $100.00 in order to get one. So now in addition to worrying about where the money for the car and oven are going to come from, I feel bad about saying no, even though I think what he was asking was excessive.

The posts on this thread are so sad, yet I sense that hopeful spirit in God in so many of the posts. It is so good (and encouraging) to know that people are believing God and people are taking it upon their hearts to pray for all these needs!

:iagree:I've cried several times as I've read through these posts. Some of you are in such heartbreaking situations and it just grieves me so much. But I'm also crying because I'm so touched by the confidence you all have in the Lord's goodness and mercy. I will be praying for each of you.:grouphug:

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall the fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the field shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stall. Yet, I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Exactly the same here. Received $300 to spend on our children--promptly lost a tire and needed to replace them all (didn't realize they were bald). Cost? $300. Received $400 at another time. Overdue bills and another car issue. Cost? More than the $400. LOL

Of course, God was providing for those things. He's just not providing for Christmas. LOL (Well, He did in the person of Christ, of course, which is our focus, but I'm bummed because I *like* to give gifts!)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to all those who are struggling.

I was having a bit of a "pity party" for myself today because of something that now seems so trivial compared to what many of you are going through. I guess this thread is a reminder from God of all the blessings I have that I ought to be grateful for!

Praying for you all :001_smile:

Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you. Remember that one of the best gifts we have to give at Christmas is the gift of ourselves, our love, and our time. Home schooling is a big part of that -- here, our children won't be getting much in the way of presents, but they have our love and our time.

:grouphug: to everyone!

Sandy

Well, the utilities are paid :001_smile: We have lights for Christmas.

Dh is working as usual, but there's just.no.money. I have the stocking stuffers and that's it. A dear wonderful lady from church is getting me a turkey.

As I said in another post, it's a Charles Dickens Christmas this year.

My family has moved so much closer in our walk with God. We've found a wonderful church, the place we weren't meant to be a part of. We have all found incredible irl friends. We have neighbors we can depend on and they us. So many things are so good. But, we can't seem to get enough together to provide anything for Christmas.

Thanksgiving HAD looked abysmal (thus hope burns eternal) until two days before when dh's boss gave him an early paycheck, for no apparent reason. Suddenly, we had a feast. I know God will provide. I know gifts are not essential, and I know we'll have what is.

Thank you for a wonderful thread :)

My hearts and prayers go out to every one of you here. :grouphug:

"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Whenever I feel like I'm losing hope, I pray this over and over. God is always good when we rely on Him. Stay strong...

It's hard for me to qualify it as an actual hardship, but my kids are only getting a small gift each from me (and, we're talking about $10 each). Of course, my parents gave me $100 to spend on each kid for gifts from them, so the kids aren't missing out at all (they do this every year, so not just because we're tight this year). And although I have a pretty tight budget, I'm amazed what a $30-35 per week grocery budget gets us (this is actually the everything discretionary but gas budget). God's provision has sustained us for the almost 19 months since I officially got out of the Navy, so I am well able to trust that He will continue to provide for us.

It's always interesting for us!

We are missionaries living on the support of individuals and a few churches. We don't make much in the good times! Right now, we are scratching it out. It's a bummer! Anyway, every Christmas is a walk of faith. But, for us, that's no different than every other time of the year, so, it is what it is.

I think what maybe makes it a little easier is seeing that, comparatively, we have a LOT! Not that it takes away the frustration because we know enought to know that we aren't anywhere near where our peers are. Our kids are old enough to see it too.

But, God is good. It's really helped us to focus on the simple things. I'm grateful, and noone can take that away from me.

Thank you for sharing this, Dayle. We all have so much to learn, and what you said was valuable and encouraging. You have raised some excellent points.

I am right there with you, although we are not missionaries. We were downsized several years ago by dh's job displacement from high tech, and every year since then life has been a walk of faith. Like you, I've learned to enjoy simplicity and appreciate the things that we do have. I have become much more thankful during these years, taking much less for granted than in the past.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm so sorry, Michelle T and Renai. You are very strong. I'm sorry your husbands aren't sticking with you in these hard times.

My bil left my sil in Sept., and she is very upset. But I hope that in time she will realize she deserves someone who loves her as much as she loves him, and that bil's leaving means there is an opening now for a wonderful man to come into her life.

I know it's hard to see it now, but good will come of this. Keep believing.