Menu

Anyone else facing hardship this Christmas? CC

My dh is going through a seasonal layoff and is drawing unemployment, and last week was a waiting week without a paycheck. We've been through this kind of thing before, and know we'll get through it -- but it quite honestly takes prayer to stay away from depression this time of year. I am making a focused effort on keeping traditions going -- especially for the sake of my dd. We are baking cookies, playing Christmas music and we have a tree. I have not shopped for gifts at all so far, and am not sure I'll be able to do much next week either. My family might just get cookies for Christmas!

This isn't a whining post, believe me. We are making our mortgage payment, have lights and water and food to eat. Things could be much worse. I'm not defeated by any sense of the word, as my faith is firmly holding me together. I pray scripture over our situation and trust that the Lord is taking good care of us.

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19

I am just curious to know if anyone else is facing a tough Christmas this year. If so, why not share so we can encourage and pray for each other?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda,

:grouphug: I agree with everything you wrote! Your identity is in Christ, not gift giving. I know that you'd like to give....it's the nature of most people to want to give as they can. How about this:

~you give your dd a manicure/painted nails (if you allow that)

~take a picture if you have a digital camera, or use a hard paper copy for your storehouse of photos ;) and buy one sheet of pretty paper at Michaels to use as a frame. You can "back" it with cardboard for sturdiess.

~now for "about" $10-15 you can make a memo/french board. You need an artist "canvas on wood" piece OR I'm using an extra piece of wood my husband had laying around (he's a tool, project man). He cut the wood to my dimensions of 16x22 I think. So, our wood was free because it was a remnant. I bought 2/3 of a yard for those dimensions at walmart. Also, at walmart I bought the high fill "roll" batting that will be a "layer" on the board. And, that's it. Use some 1/2 - 1 " wide ribbon and make a "lattice" look. Girls tuck pictures, tickets, papers etc under the ribbon which holds everything in place.

You may have many or all of the few materials needed already in your house. HTH!

Sheryl

<><

Yes, we are holding firm to Christ's promise to carry us in hard times. My dh is unemployed (since Aug). We are pregnant with #4 due in April. We just sold our home but we don't know where we will live or find work. Christmas is really different this year but we are joyful that we are healthy and protected by God's might hand.

Susan

Praying for you and your family, Susan. God will give you faith beyond hope, and He will also give you the direction that you need. This will be a very memorable Christmas for you all, but in a good way.

This will be the toughest year since I have been married. We are barely paying for necessities. We scrounged enough for Chistmas for the girls, but everyone else will have to understand.

Just trying to keep my spirits up and not bawl everyday. It is a big hole and I am at the bottom w/no shovel.

I am just praying everyday and starting to exercise to keep my mind active. If I think too much I fall apart.

Prayers and hugs to all of us, at least God is on our side.

Buying presents for others is such a joy, but all of us that are in financial straits need to remember that Christmas can still be joyful without having the things we've been used to having. God definitely is on our side. Keep up the prayers and exercise! You are an inspiration to me in this. :)

Yes, it is a difficult time for us, too. Dh is under-employed (but thankfully employed); however, his last check for this year came today, and no more paydays until the end of January, so I am trying not to stress over the bills that are and will be due at the end of December and the middle and end of January. Added to this is ds's cancer - the physical, emotional, and financial strain. Plus, my mom is not doing well and I dread every time the phone rings. We live a goodly distance away and cannot be there as often as we'd like (between ds's medical schedule and the finances). These are the top three *issues* we are dealing with, but there is more. Our only hope is in God and the promises in His Word.

The posts on this thread are so sad, yet I sense that hopeful spirit in God in so many of the posts. It is so good (and encouraging) to know that people are believing God and people are taking it upon their hearts to pray for all these needs!

Its so hard to be dealing with all of these difficult situations at a time that is supposed to be merry. I will pray for you and your family to find some very peaceful moments where you can pause and reflect on God's goodness and the beautiful gift of His son to us. The Bible is truth and can't return to Him void, so do continue to hold on to those promises.

:grouphug:

To everyone -- I am praying for hope, faith and love to pour into each situation. Let's all choose to stay focused on God this Christmas rather than the tendency to look at Christmas from the world's point of view.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, for me too! We've had many Christmases *without* struggle so I'm trying to take this season of little with some perspective. I think that we will eventually get on our feet again, I sort of have hope about that, but there are many for whom that expectation is not there and they have NEVER really been stable. I can't imagine it. :grouphug:

It's also hard because I'm a helper/fixer and I find myself getting *more* down because I can't help others this year! Oh well, new year is coming!

With losing my job and thus losing my home. Fortunately we have been able to find an apartment to move to that I can afford (for now anyway). I am also going to try to keep Christmas traditions going so my daughter (and I) won't get so down about this whole thing. Then after the new year I have to start job searching. :tongue_smilie:

Exactly the same here. Received $300 to spend on our children--promptly lost a tire and needed to replace them all (didn't realize they were bald). Cost? $300. Received $400 at another time. Overdue bills and another car issue. Cost? More than the $400. LOL

Of course, God was providing for those things. He's just not providing for Christmas. LOL (Well, He did in the person of Christ, of course, which is our focus, but I'm bummed because I *like* to give gifts!)

Amen sister! Isn't this the way things go so often? But don't give up hope on Christmas, as it isn't here yet. You never know what God may have in mind for you in the coming days. :001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda

What a sad thread. Good luck, Everybody. :angelsad2:

One good thing, though - our kids appreciate everything and they're going to be tough people!

Not sad so much as real life. We live in a fallen world where life can't be perfect all the time. I do know from experience though that Christmas Day WILL arrive (whether we are ready or not) and we can choose to pause and reflect on His goodness and love, or we can focus on our problems. I hope that everyone reading this thread chooses the first one!

Good point about our children. They are watching us all walk through these difficult situations, learning from us how to cope with the problems of life. These are teaching moments, just like all the other subjects we give them.

God bless,

Lucinda

We are in the same boat as many of you. We have been incredibly blessed though. Our mortgage has been paid and the utilities are still on. We were blessed enough to be able to provide a small Christmas for the kids through our church. Thankfully we have always focused this time of year on giving to others so they have never expected much. We instead are baking fudge, cookies, bread etc. to take to those we care about in our town. We are singing and dancing to Christmas carols and otherwise still smiling.

However there are times when sadness creeps (okay completely overtakes me!) at our situation. When I have those days I really try to focus on the beauty that is all around me. Things continue on regardless of how many collectors call and I have the choice weather to see all the blessings I have or not. Its hard but I choose to thank God everyday and see those blessings.

Hugs and prayers to all of you struggling. May the new year bring new life and experiences for all of us to enjoy.

Yes, for me too! We've had many Christmases *without* struggle so I'm trying to take this season of little with some perspective. I think that we will eventually get on our feet again, I sort of have hope about that, but there are many for whom that expectation is not there and they have NEVER really been stable. I can't imagine it. :grouphug:

It's also hard because I'm a helper/fixer and I find myself getting *more* down because I can't help others this year! Oh well, new year is coming!

We've always been a little borderline. Never utter poverty or homeless, but never really "comfortable," iykwIm.

This year, a friend that is usually comfortable is having a hard time. Not to say that misery loves company, but... well... it's nice to be able to shoulder it together. I've gotten more help from her understanding than I have with the delightful gifts in years past. Also, we still volunteer! We've stuffed stockings and (dare I admit it) dropped a few dollars here and there for the locals living in poverty. Sure, I could've used that ten or that fourteen dollars to fill out Christmas dinner, or buy more cheap junk to put into their stockings, but this year, it is more important to me to insure that the local homeless have blankets and dinner.

It's crazy, as bad as it's been lately, I'm more aware of how bad it COULD BE and I give more freely for those that are in that situation.

We are in the same boat as many of you. We have been incredibly blessed though. Our mortgage has been paid and the utilities are still on. We were blessed enough to be able to provide a small Christmas for the kids through our church. Thankfully we have always focused this time of year on giving to others so they have never expected much. We instead are baking fudge, cookies, bread etc. to take to those we care about in our town. We are singing and dancing to Christmas carols and otherwise still smiling.

However there are times when sadness creeps (okay completely overtakes me!) at our situation. When I have those days I really try to focus on the beauty that is all around me. Things continue on regardless of how many collectors call and I have the choice weather to see all the blessings I have or not. Its hard but I choose to thank God everyday and see those blessings.

Hugs and prayers to all of you struggling. May the new year bring new life and experiences for all of us to enjoy.

Your post blessed me so much! I can so relate to all that you are saying. We have hope, faith and love to carry us through, yet as humans we can't help but succumb to our flesh now and then. Keeping my mind on scriptures, listening to worship music and looking around at God's amazing creation always boosts me up too. Thank you for your encouragement!

Blessings,

Lucinda

We've always been a little borderline. Never utter poverty or homeless, but never really "comfortable," iykwIm.

This year, a friend that is usually comfortable is having a hard time. Not to say that misery loves company, but... well... it's nice to be able to shoulder it together. I've gotten more help from her understanding than I have with the delightful gifts in years past. Also, we still volunteer! We've stuffed stockings and (dare I admit it) dropped a few dollars here and there for the locals living in poverty. Sure, I could've used that ten or that fourteen dollars to fill out Christmas dinner, or buy more cheap junk to put into their stockings, but this year, it is more important to me to insure that the local homeless have blankets and dinner.

It's crazy, as bad as it's been lately, I'm more aware of how bad it COULD BE and I give more freely for those that are in that situation.

This year we've shared part of our tithe with the local food bank to help make a difference to others at Christmas, and we are planning to help distribute food boxes. It occurs to me that we need to do this all year and not just during the holidays.

I learned from a wise Christian counselor many years ago that the best way to fight depression is to aim my energies toward others around me. As I've grown in my spiritual walk over the years, I've learned that is what Jesus taught when he was asked about what was the greatest commandment. If we'd all just try to obey and focus on God and loving our neighbors, it sure would cure a lot of depression -- wouldn't it?

Blessings,

Lucinda

This year we've shared part of our tithe with the local food bank to help make a difference to others at Christmas, and we are planning to help distribute food boxes. It occurs to me that we need to do this all year and not just during the holidays.

I learned from a wise Christian counselor many years ago that the best way to fight depression is to aim my energies toward others around me. As I've grown in my spiritual walk over the years, I've learned that is what Jesus taught when he was asked about what was the greatest commandment. If we'd all just try to obey and focus on God and loving our neighbors, it sure would cure a lot of depression -- wouldn't it?

Blessings,

Lucinda

:iagree: It's almost embarrassing to say we're having a difficult year, not because difficulty is embarrassing, but because I now know what difficulty really means and it's not only having a handful of things to give the kids.