Menu

In your crowd do 13 yos have smart phones?

My just turned 13 yo niece just got a Blackberry with full internet, etc.

I don't think of any other 7th graders I know that have gotten into this yet.

I'm really not judging. I wouldn't do it for a multitude of reasons but I don't think it is horrible or anything. Not my style for my family but to each their own.

I really am just wondering if this is a norm elsewhere. We live in a very middle class area. They are definitely in a more upscale area of Atlanta. My brother's family isn't extravagant at all, though.

My 6th grader said he doesn't know anyone with a Blackberry. He does know many kids in the 6th-8th grades and some younger high schoolers. 90% of kids have phones but to many it is an extra family emergency phone just to call home, etc. That's what my 6th grader has.

I'm really just very curious now. Do the kids in your middle school crowd have smart phones?

Thanks,

Marie

It's way less common among our homeschooling friends though. My DS is considered "cool" at co-op because I send him with a prepaid phone because it's a drop-off situation. I take the phone back though after class, and he has zero interest in it other than being able to call me when he leaves his lunch in the car. ;)

My son is 13 and he "has" a cell phone. I say "has" in quotes because it is just an extra cell phone with phone capability only and isn't really his. The high school kids around here seem to have smart phones because they're all poking at them whenever I see them around. I don't see this as much with younger kids though.

Yes, and I just don't get it.

Some "twitter" also and I think it is bizarre.

You think Twitter itself is bizarre, or that kids are using it?

I use it, but I would never in a million years let dd12 on it - facebook after Christmas, probably. With a very restricted profile and monitored friends list. Twitter, never. Some of the spam that gets on there is... not what you want a kid to see, let's just put it that way.

In my *town* ~ yes. Not just the 13+ kids either....lots of elementary kids are walking around with the latest cell gadgets.

In my *crowd* ~ no. Not common at all... most of the kids do not have cells, period.

:iagree:

My 7 y.o. is taking an Irish step dance class through the parks & rec dept. in a neighboring town. There's this little girl in her class about the same age whom I personally cannot stand because she's a spoiled brat. Two weeks ago she was showing off her cell phone and boasting that she was getting an iPhone for Christmas. :001_rolleyes:

Part of me feels sorry for her though because I suspect that she's getting this kind of fancy stuff in lieu of parental attention. It's always her nanny who brings her to the class even though it's held in the evening.

My ds has a smart phone he bought with his own money. It's an Instinct, I had to go ask. It's probably one of the nicer ones of the group we're around. My dh is very techy and helped him pick it out, so it's more an influence from dad than peers. Right now it's more of a gadget than used as a phone as he texts me and his dad only and takes to a few people.

Previously he had dad's old phones and has proven he can be responsible with an expensive electronic.

My kids all share 1 iPhone.

It happens that dh and I have iPhones so abvoiusly the best deal for a third phone would be on an iPhone for us. I imagine this is true for many others az well.

It is strictly for family communication, not a part of their peer socialization

DS19 got a T-Mobile G1 (Google Android OS) when he was 18 and at college. He has the MOST BASIC calling plan available (US$19.99/mo.), but he can access the internet features through the wireless LAN.

DD17 just got a T-Mobile myTouch3G (Google Android OS) this month for her 17th birthday. It has unlimited calling and unlimited internet, but no included text messages (US$64.98/mo.). We decided to do this so she would be able to learn how to use it before going away to college next year.

DS11 will get DD17's old Blackberry with only phone service for his birthday in January. Only a voice plan (US$19.99/mo.). This phone is necessary in case we leave him at home since we no longer have a land line at home.

With seven kids, cell phones are the one monthly expense that has been increasing over time in the Guheert household. Nearly every other monthly expense is either going down or has been eliminated altogether. The data services on smartphones are the part that really drives up the cost. Wireless providers are not stupid, they know what makes them the most money.

ETA: Why would any kid want a Blackberry? Yuck! There are so many better choices out there on all carriers, IMO!

Edited by RegGuheert

Yeah, Reg, My cell phone bill is pretty high as well. lol 5 people with decent phones and unlimited texting costs. Only the 10 yr old doesn't have one. I don't think of cells as a luxury at all. With teens all over kingdom come, I need to reach them. And we lurve texting! It's so much more convenient & private than calling. I really get annoyed hearing people yak on their cells. Get a keyboard! I don't need to hear you argue with your kid!:bigear:

I didn't get a Blackberry because it doesn't have a keyboard. I like a keyboard.

Not here, no.

My 15 year old claims that she is the only person at her high school without a cell phone. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. But I know very few kids (and very few adults, actually) who have smart phones.

(On that note, my dh got me an iPod Touch for Xmas and I am thrilled!I don't care that it's not a phone!)

Tara

I just got my first cell phone/smart phone/Blackberry free with unlimited everything for about $35 month. It was a great deal and it has been useful for google calendar, email while out, and memos for all my to dos and shopping lists. I can see how it could be useful to a busy teen. They aren't expensive anymore.

Nope...Not very many here in my neck of woods. However my niece who lives in the BIG city...will have one for Christmas...What is her age? Ready??? Ta DA.... She is 7 yr old. :glare::glare::glare::glare:

I gaurentee that she will break it within a week. ;) My other niece who is 12 broke her Ipod within a week. She also broke her DS within 2 months. Our daughter however still has her DS and it is not broken. She is a lot. She is was 9 when she got her DS. She is begging for an ipod for Christmas but we are not getting her one. (she is getting a laptop though).

Holly

Interesting.

I knew there would be some variety but it is interesting how prevelant it is. It seems pretty widespread.

I'm not anti-cell phone. I think it is one of those things that you grow into as necessity/ maturity/ expense indicates. I see the value in texting even though I'm not that into it.

I'm glad it isn't the standard around here. Not that we conform to those sorts of standards but it is just nice that it's not that prevelant in my neck of the woods...YET :)

We're just not ready (although dh would be lost without his).

Marie

(On that note, my dh got me an iPod Touch for Xmas and I am thrilled!I don't care that it's not a phone!)
I thought about doing just that: Use a cellphone only for calls and use an iPod Touch for everything else. This avoids the cost of the data plan on the phones, but only provides internet access when you can get on a wireless LAN. It's a good compromise, IMO!

Unfortunately, I bought a 32GB iPod Touch for myself a while back and I *hated* it. I guess I'm addicted to Android. When Android devices come out in the future without the phone function built in, I may switch over to this so that I can shed the data plans. We will see...

I

I'm not anti-cell phone. I think it is one of those things that you grow into as necessity/ maturity/ expense indicates.

I agree. My 15 year has not demonstrated even an iota of the maturity or responsibility we expect before she gets a cell phone, and as she really only wants one because she wants the same "toys" her friends have, I see no reason to shell out the money for one. If and when she gets one, it will be a prepaid phone and she will have to buy the minutes herself.

I cannot stand how kids hang around on their phones all the time, to the point that they can hardly be bothered to communicate or interact with the people they are actually with. (I know adults like this, too.) I have not gotten my kids DSes or internet-enabled devices precisely for this reason. My 15 year old has an iPod shuffle, and I still have to remind her frequently that she can't listen to it when we are doing something as a family. I can't believe it when I see families out to dinner or doing something "together" and the kids are all off in their own little electronic worlds.

Tara

Yes, quite a few do here too. Ds15 just has basic service. Most of the kids I know, who have data packages/smart phones, have them due to the parents plans already having the additions. The upgrade to smart phones are often birthday/graduation presents.

One of ds's friends got an IPhone when they first came out...he was 13.

I haven't noticed this. I do know many families who have a basic kid phone that the kids share when they are out, esp. when they take outside classes.

Most kids I know get ipods/mp3 players when they turn 13. My ds will get one for Christmas, a couple of months shy of his 13th birthday 'cause I got a great deal (16G for the price of 8G).

We operate on walkie talkies in the neighborhood so far.

Perhaps the Blackberry was a hand me down from a parents' upgrade?

My 17 yr old got her first phone (that is her own) this year, when she was 17. Prior, she shared mine and her brother's. (Who goes to school). The 10 yr old doesn't need one yet, but when she does she will get one. I may get it sooner rather than later because of ballet and rehearsals etc.

We never :knock wood: have lost or broken a gadget. We've had the same SP, DS etc for years, the same ipods etc. My kids are super- responsible. My 21 yr old is only on his second phone. His first was a dinosaur and had to be put out to pasture.

Only dh has dropped his Blackberry in a pool. ;) Twice. Of course I've

jinxed us now.

I had a bunch of teens and young adults over during the holiday break, and all had phones, some nicer than others, but everyone had a phone. None used them inappropriately, and certainly not when they were eating or chatting. A couple of the younger teens did answer calls from their parents, and both said "Excuse me, this is my mother".

I''ve rarely met a child who never lifted his head from a phone, or refused to communciate in person. In fact, I can't think of one at all. I do notice that parents call their kids a lot. A lot. lol

Interesting.

I knew there would be some variety but it is interesting how prevelant it is. It seems pretty widespread.

I'm not anti-cell phone. I think it is one of those things that you grow into as necessity/ maturity/ expense indicates. I see the value in texting even though I'm not that into it.

I'm glad it isn't the standard around here. Not that we conform to those sorts of standards but it is just nice that it's not that prevelant in my neck of the woods...YET :)

We're just not ready (although dh would be lost without his).

Marie

Edited by LibraryLover

My 7 year old niece has requested a Blackberry for Christmas. :glare:

We'll see if my SIL is going to give it to her or not!

My oldest two have cellphones. Not sure if the one my oldest has is considered a smart phone or not! She has the QWERTY keyboard for texting, but she doesn't surf the internet with it.

For cell phones in general, we've started the tradition of giving one to our kids for Christmas, once they turn 14, so I have a few more years before we have to add another phone to the plan!!

I assume so, but I really don't pay attention. Kids everywhere get a lot of unnecessary stuff nowadays...and then there are families who are rarely together or have crazy busy schedules and I can see the "need" for some way to communicate, although not such an elaborate one. lol

Only my 15yo ds has a cell phone, but I'd like to get my 14yo dd one as well since she's spending more time out of the home at youth group or babysitting. Nothing fancy, though.

I assume so, but I really don't pay attention. Kids everywhere get a lot of unnecessary stuff nowadays...and then there are families who are rarely together or have crazy busy schedules and I can see the "need" for some way to communicate, although not such an elaborate one. lol

Only my 15yo ds has a cell phone, but I'd like to get my 14yo dd one as well since she's spending more time out of the home at youth group or babysitting. Nothing fancy, though.

Pretty much anything is fancy. Even your basic phone does about a millions things. My friend just got an inexpensive one for her hs'd child, and it can be programed with your voice. It's cute. She says "Call mom" and rings up her mom. She also took about a million pictures of nothing with it. lol

Internet access is what costs, and most kids I know don't have that feature.

I''ve rarely met a child who never lifted his head from a phone

That's not the problem so much as it is that they are constantly texting, watching YouTube videos, or playing games. Color me old-fashioned, but to me, socializing does not mean a groups of kids in physical proximity but each off in their own cyber-world. (Now, I just upgraded to unlimited texting on my phone, and I have a texting buddy that I text on and off all day, but I'm talking maybe 10 texts a day, not 10 a half-hour.)

Of course, my kid's old teacher told me not to worry that kids never called my dd because "They just do all their socializing on the computer. No one talks on the phone anymore." :confused:

Tara

I simply haven't seen that. My oldest kids are 21, 17, 16 and so are their friends. I had all ages over all weekend, and I didn't witness that at all. I never have seen that in groups of kids at my home, not in all these years. I have seen kids bake, chat, play Trivial Pursuit, Foose Ball, and Guitar Hero-- which is very fun and interactive to me.

If you've seen it, you've seen it. I haven't.

That's not the problem so much as it is that they are constantly texting, watching YouTube videos, or playing games. Color me old-fashioned, but to me, socializing does not mean a groups of kids in physical proximity but each off in their own cyber-world. (Now, I just upgraded to unlimited texting on my phone, and I have a texting buddy that I text on and off all day, but I'm talking maybe 10 texts a day, not 10 a half-hour.)

Of course, my kid's old teacher told me not to worry that kids never called my dd because "They just do all their socializing on the computer. No one talks on the phone anymore." :confused:

Tara

Edited by LibraryLover

That's why we gave our oldest one when she was 14! She was doing a lot of babysitting and I wanted her to have one for safety's sake. Her first one was just a plain cell phone, though. She's upgraded since then!

For our 15 year old, we gave him one because he's on the baseball team, the basketball team, the swim team -- etc, etc, etc -- and we wanted him to be able to reach us. He doesn't text - and has no interest in it - but his does have a camera.

My just turned 13 yo niece just got a Blackberry with full internet, etc.

I don't think of any other 7th graders I know that have gotten into this yet.

I'm really not judging. I wouldn't do it for a multitude of reasons but I don't think it is horrible or anything. Not my style for my family but to each their own.

I really am just wondering if this is a norm elsewhere. We live in a very middle class area. They are definitely in a more upscale area of Atlanta. My brother's family isn't extravagant at all, though.

My 6th grader said he doesn't know anyone with a Blackberry. He does know many kids in the 6th-8th grades and some younger high schoolers. 90% of kids have phones but to many it is an extra family emergency phone just to call home, etc. That's what my 6th grader has.

I'm really just very curious now. Do the kids in your middle school crowd have smart phones?

Thanks,

Marie

Seems like in our area that many kids have the latest gadgets. I have seen elementary kids with cell phones and I just don't understand that. My elementary kids are never anywhere without an adult so a cell phone is something they do not need.

My 14yr olds don't have a blackberry, smart phones, iPods, etc. Heck I don't!!!

Our 14yr olds have cell phones and they are whatever are handed down from Dh/me when we get new ones. They have MP3 players too... none cost more than $50.

Edited by AnitaMcC

I simply haven't seen that. My oldest kids are 21, 17, 16 and so are their friends. I had all ages over all weekend, and I didn't witness that at all. I never have seen that in groups of kids at my home, not in all these years. I have seen kids bake, chat, play Trivial Pursuit, Foose Ball, and Guitar Hero-- which is very fun and interactive to me.

If you've seen it, you've seen it. I haven't.

Really? I see it all. the. time. It actually makes me feel quite ill. Especially the kids at the family gatherings (such as Thanksgiving) who were all draped over the couches and all of them (except my kids because they were the only ones who didn't have them) texting or watching something on thier phones. And it was silent except for random beeps and keying.

In my *town* ~ yes. Not just the 13+ kids either....lots of elementary kids are walking around with the latest cell gadgets.

In my *crowd* ~ no. Not common at all... most of the kids do not have cells, period.

Agree! Some of the older kids (14+) that take a lot of outside classes have phones, but none that I know of have smart phones.

Don't blame the electronics for kids being allowed to tune out.

I'd bet if it wasn't a phone or DS, it'd just be something else.

I tell my kids to turn it off, actually I rarely let them leave the house with anything, including books.

It's just as rude to sit there absorbed in the world inside a book or drawing as an electronic device.

There's a parental mindset that thinks dc must always have some form of entertainment going rather the simple pleasure of conversation and observing the world around them. You will often find the parents have the same problem.

My mil was highly annoyed that I insisted the tv, psp, and playstations all be turned off. They see their paternal cousins maybe once a year. It wasn't going to kill them to actually speak and play with each other. Thing is they were really playing just fine to begin with. The mil and her sister were worried they were getting too tired and bored?:001_huh:

They see their paternal cousins maybe once a year. It wasn't going to kill them to actually speak and play with each other.

No doubt. My sister was just visiting with my nephew (6), whom my kids see twice a year. All I heard from nephew was "Mooo-oooom, when can I play my DS?" As though he didn't have two same-age cousins RIGHT THERE to play with. My kids were quite taken aback by it and actually asked me, "How come [cousin] whines about his DS all the time?"

Tara

My 13 year old has a G1 smart phone. I was going to buy myself one, but I figured that I'd never learn to use it. He does my housework to pay his monthly bill, and even figured out how to tether my laptop to his phone so I have internet in the car, and everywhere we go.

It has been a great deal for me. I got a phone, operator and maid for one low monthly payment.

Really? I see it all. the. time. It actually makes me feel quite ill. Especially the kids at the family gatherings (such as Thanksgiving) who were all draped over the couches and all of them (except my kids because they were the only ones who didn't have them) texting or watching something on thier phones. And it was silent except for random beeps and keying.

I have definitely seen it here. We went out for Thanksgiving dinner and the table next to us was a large group with 3 preteens/teens. One started playing his DS the second he finished eating, one lasted maybe 5 minutes after he was done before he started and the girl was texting in between bites the entire time.

Yes. In fact, its such the norm that it is the unusual child who doesn't.

My poor, unusual, unfortunate kids. Oh well.

:iagree: My eldest has a bottom-of-the-line type of cell that makes calls and can text (it does not have a keyboard, much to her dismay). My younger kids do not have phones at all. I'd say that 10-11 is much the norm for kids receiving a phone (the rule is 13 in our house) and at least half of the kids 13+ have smart phones.

I wonder, though, how many kids have smartphones, but do not have plans beyond voice and texting. I would have done that with DD17, but if you don't buy the phone with the plan, then you pay a LOT more for the phone. If times are hard when her two years are up, then I might move her smartphone over to a cheap plan like DS17 has.

I'm guessing there aren't TOO many with smartphones and dumbplans, since the carriers are making it very hard to pull that off these days...

My sister's college kids were over on T'giving and they were all very engaged with each other and lingered at the table.

I feel very sad that some parents have allowed their kids to tune out with gadgets. I feel sad that some kids feel they need to tune out.

Don't blame the electronics for kids being allowed to tune out.

I'd bet if it wasn't a phone or DS, it'd just be something else.

I tell my kids to turn it off, actually I rarely let them leave the house with anything, including books.

It's just as rude to sit there absorbed in the world inside a book or drawing as an electronic device.

There's a parental mindset that thinks dc must always have some form of entertainment going rather the simple pleasure of conversation and observing the world around them. You will often find the parents have the same problem.

My mil was highly annoyed that I insisted the tv, psp, and playstations all be turned off. They see their paternal cousins maybe once a year. It wasn't going to kill them to actually speak and play with each other. Thing is they were really playing just fine to begin with. The mil and her sister were worried they were getting too tired and bored?:001_huh:

No. Kids use them, yes, but I haven't seen my kids or my kids friiends do any of this extreme stuff. My 17 yr old's last gathering was with her track team at a teamate's house. They made about 30 tie dye t shirts for their team. I suppose they could do this and text...but it would be hard and perhaps ruin their Smartphones. ;)

As I said, my oldest is 21 and he & his teen sibs had a crew of friends over this holdiay break and nothing like that went on here. There was crazy laughing and a lot eating, however.