Menu

Don't forget to make turkey carsass soup out of your turkey carcass.

I swear I didn't know this until a year ago. Over the years I have thrown away many turkey carsasses.

Put the picked over carcass in a large pot. Cover with water and add chopped onion, carrots, celery and 2 bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for an hour and the meat will fall off the bones. Throw away the bones. There should be enough soup for two meals.

For soup #1 add white bean and swiss chard. For soup #2 add egg noodles.

Yum!!

That's my annual Thanksgiving evening ritual. ;) After supper, when most of the turkey has been cut off the bones, I throw them into my crock pot with some sage leaves, thyme, chopped onion and celery, and any left over gravy. There will be heavenly broth waiting Friday morning. You can strain it, cool it to remove the fat if you want to, and add cooked rice or noodles. I love those big thick Amish egg noodles. Yummy yum yum!

MAN! I JUST threw it out!! :glare:
Dang!!!! Me too!!! :banghead: Seems like my mom or grandma shoulda taught me that. I mean, I know that it can be done, but if you aren't really big on handling meat in the first place...well then, it's all I can do to clean the turkey of meat, much less think to simmer it and fish out the bones. Seriously, more cooking!

Next year, I promise!!!

Do I have to call it turkey carcass soup? Will turkey soup do? :D

I threw my very first Thanksgiving turkey carcass away in the presence of my grandmother. She almost fainted. I mean, she really almost fainted.:tongue_smilie: It was the last time I ever did that!! I've been making turkey soup ever since.

This is just so cute. I can just picture it! It's a crime, I have never made turkey carcass soup in all these years and neither has my mother. I don't have a turkey this year - SIL made it. I'll do the soup next year though.

• 11 months later...

Mine has been going in the crockpot all night and we woke up to some wonderful smells this morning. I remember laughing as a kid when my grandparents would say "what a beautiful carcass" before turning the turkey leftovers into soup. I have to admit, I kinda get it now :lol:

oh the smell is heavenly!

I love the idea of popping in the crock pot versus simmering on the stove! I simmer for hours! lol!

My dad gave me this hint and I am going to do 1/2 this way:

He says to break lasagna noodles up and throw in there! They make great noodles with substance!

I'll do the other 1/2 with rice!

I seriously think we like the soup better than the turkey dinner! Make some homemade bread and my family thinks I am the bomb for weeks! I can slide package chicken nuggets and sloppy joes in for a few after turkey soup!!

I never thought of this! Thanks for the tip. We already make turkey noodle soup with the leftover turkey...but I never thought of sticking the whole "carcass" in there too!

Although I refuse to call it "carcass" soup. *gag* That makes me thing of something dead and rotting, not something edible. lol

You will have soup to die for! Trust me.

You will like it so much that the word "carcass" will start to take on a whole new ring :D

Bill

I adore turkey-carcass soup. And the name has such a lovely ring to it :D

Mine will be cooking in a big iron cauldron tomorrow.

Bill

The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook calls it "Turkey-Frame Soup". I just can't bring myself to call it a carcass. Makes me think of vultures and hyenas and Marlin Perkins narrating! (yes, that dates me. Anyone remember "Wild Kingdom"?)

• 2 months later...
I just made a turkey. How on earth do I fish the bones out of the soup? Do I just make a stock with everything and then strain it all? There are some tiny bones, trust me, I know I just pulled the meat off of them.

Strain it through a colander.

Bill

Then let it cool and skim the fat off the top.

I've never been much of a cook, but I just started doing this with chicken! I cook the chicken usually in our crock pot and have it for dinner. I pick all the meat off the bones and put it in a container in the fridge. The carcass goes back in the crockpot with any juices that were leftover. I add various vegges that I have (I often freeze leftover celery leaves, carrot stumps, etc. for this purpose), add water to an inch from the top, put on the lid and put it on low overnight. Next day we have chicken soup! Yummy!

I've never been much of a cook, but I just started doing this with chicken! I cook the chicken usually in our crock pot and have it for dinner. I pick all the meat off the bones and put it in a container in the fridge. The carcass goes back in the crockpot with any juices that were leftover. I add various vegges that I have (I often freeze leftover celery leaves, carrot stumps, etc. for this purpose), add water to an inch from the top, put on the lid and put it on low overnight. Next day we have chicken soup! Yummy!

When frugality and total deliciousness come together is a pretty great combo :D

Plus, I think eating (drinking?) bone-stock is good for health, even if those nutters at the Weston Price Foundation happen to agree :tongue_smilie:

Bill

• 9 months later...
That sounds delicious. I usually use noodles like most other posters. But I'm completely clueless on how to add barley & would love to hear how you do it. (Soon, if possible, because my carcass is simmering as I type.) TIA!

I would cook the barley separately and add it at the end (only to the portion of soup you extend to serve, even if that means transferring some of the broth to a separate pot). That way the barley won't get mushy.

Bill

Has anyone done it with a smoked turkey? That's what we had this year. I have the carcass waiting in the fridge but wasn't sure if it would give an off flavor to the soup...or maybe it would be great for beans or a smoked sausage and kale soup???

I think your thinking is sound!

Bill (who wishes he could have a little sample when it's done)

I just made a turkey. How on earth do I fish the bones out of the soup? Do I just make a stock with everything and then strain it all? There are some tiny bones, trust me, I know I just pulled the meat off of them.

Strain it through a colander.

Bill

I have never had this method work perfectly. We always end up crunching a couple bones here and there. I call this kind of soup a family-only meal because I'd hate for company to end up choking on a bone. It's lucky to get one in your bowl, right? At least that's what we say. Some years we are luckier than others.

I have never had this method work perfectly. We always end up crunching a couple bones here and there. I call this kind of soup a family-only meal because I'd hate for company to end up choking on a bone. It's lucky to get one in your bowl, right? At least that's what we say. Some years we are luckier than others.

I use a fine metal mesh colander and we have no little bones or pieces of anything to contend with. You must have a colander with larger holes, no? Have you ever tried lining it with cheesecloth or even a coffee filter?

I use a fine metal mesh colander and we have no little bones or pieces of anything to contend with. You must have a colander with larger holes, no? Have you ever tried lining it with cheesecloth or even a coffee filter?

It's the picking out the pieces of meat to toss back in the pot. I'm just not careful enough by the time I get done, but I do want to have meat and not just broth.

When we were first married, dh threw out a ham bone and my mother nearly murdered him. He's still living it down. This year, he lovingly wrapped up the turkey carcass for me. We picked at it today. Soup tomorrow morning. One of my boys likes to inhale turkey noodle soup, so he's excited.