Menu

Do you let your DC go to sleepover camps? Why or Why not?

Why? Because they're fun for the kids, and I get a week w/ no dc! :party:

My dc go to a camp that I went to as a kid. I loved it, they love it. It is a semi-private camp in that it is owned /run by our life insurance co. (It is the Fraternal Order of the Sons of Hermann. Think insurance co-op kinda thing)

They also go to Scout camp, and if I was still a member of the church I grew up in, they would go to church camp too.

As far as checking them out, I was already comfortable w/ the camps, but we took the dc to their open house the year they were first eligible.

Oh, and the Director of the Hermann Sons camp, is a former student of my mother's.

If I were going to send them to a camp that I didn't know much about, I would research it VERY well, talk to anybody and everybody I could find to see if there were any problems. Ask lots and lots of questions, and listen to my "mommy instincts" before I made a decision. I don't know if I could just pick a camp out of a magazine or something, but if I knew someone whose dc went, I might consider a camp. Clear as mud?

HTH

We had visited this camp as a family twice for long weekends. We met everyone who worked there, and found that we trusted the place, the people, the supervision, everything. DD was so happy there, too.

She had to be ready, though. Until she was about 9 1/2, we would never have sent her. No real reason to do it, and she would have hated being away from us at bedtime. (She was extremely independent until she got very tired, and then she would get horribly homesick if we were not around.) Suddenly at 9 1/2, as if walking through a door, she changed in that regard.

But that is the only sleepover camp that she attends. It is an old fashioned, have a blast all day type camp, about 45 minutes from our home, with a Lutheran emphasis. She has stayed there by herself for a week during each of the last two summers, and we couldn't be more pleased.

My dc haven't been to camp yet. But my 2 oldest will be going this summer with their homeschool Scout troop. We're only comfortable with this because so many men in the troop will be going with them.

If we attended a church with a family camp, I would send them as well. We are looking for a church right now, as we recently left our church home of 13 years. When we do settle somewhere, however, I'm not inclined to send them off to a church youth camp. That's not to say I would never consider it. But I attended such camps when I was in junior high and high school, and I think that they are sometimes accompanied with a lot of foolishness that I don't care for. Not intending to stir the pot, but those here who aren't that excited about the youth offerings in their church will identify.

I had a really fabulous camp experience when I was younger, and would love for my children to have that as well.

However . . .

My dd really, really struggles with overnights. It is hugely stressful for her to sleep somewhere overnight. With the way she falls apart I cannot even imagine her going somewhere more than a night or two.

My ds does not struggle in this way, even though he is much younger than dd. I have a feeling he will go to sleep-away camp in future years.

She does well if dh or I are with her, so this year we have chosen the following camp options:

--Horsemanship day camp. Dd does not feel that it is day camp for babies. She has been horse crazy for years, so she is excited about this option.

--Family camp. All the fun of a real camp experience with real camp counselors and kids' programs, but she still gets to sleep in a tent with us.

--Church junior high retreat. This is just two nights in July, and dh will be along since he is one of the junior high leaders. Obviously he will be sleeping in the boys' room, but we think his presence there will calm dd's anxiety so she will be able to enjoy the experience without late-night stress.

HTH.

Our dd (8) started going to overnight camp (Girl Scouts for 3 nights) when she was 5. Now she attends a week long camp every summer at a Christian camp which our church supports. She goes with all of her friends from church and has a wonderful time. I think we both enjoy the break we get from each other. She is always excited to go, and just as excited to be home again.

Do you let your dc go to sleepover camps? Why or why not?

If yes, what kind of camps do they attend? How did you check the camp out?

Yes. It works for our family.

I have to know the people running it, and know that they have everything (EVERYTHING) to lose if they aren't extremely careful in screening and supervising campers and employees. I would not let an emotionally "needy" kid go to overnight camp, though.

My kids have gone to Camp Emerson, SAA at Asheville School, 4H camp, and Boy Scout camp.

No, my children will not be attending camps when they are older because I'm concerned about the possibility of them being abused by staff or other campers. I do not have peace about them doing that or sleeping over at a friend's home.

I hope to replace that either with family camp or tent camping.

Sadly, we have not yet found a camp that is affordable for us. Well, that's not quite true. If it meant the world to someone, we'd try to find a way to afford it. But, so far... Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I loved my experiences as a camper and a counselor at a YMCA camp up in the mountains of NC. I'd send my kids there is a second if I could swing the expense. Bleh. I'm already feeling kind of useless tonight (sorry to drag that in here). This just exacerbates that feeling.

My kids' camp is a week (or more) at each grandparents' house, where they often get to do something out of the ordinary like a day camp, or a trip to the beach. That's had to suffice for us/them so far.

Doran

Do you let your dc go to sleepover camps? Why or why not?

If yes, what kind of camps do they attend? How did you check the camp out?

My kids go to a Thursday-Sunday Jr. Camp over the summer... July... it is run and organized by our church.

My daughter also went to Wild Horse canyon last year in Oregon for 1 week. Its a young life camp and it was fantastic.... I knew the peole going with them, thats a big thing for me. It might have been harder if it was with complete strangers....

Not yet...

Mine are pretty young still (5 & 7). I will probably send them when I feel the time & situation are right. I enjoyed my camp experience.

There may come a day when they can both be at camp! A week of quiet for me! As much as I enjoy being with my kids, that sounds absolutely lovely

:party:

Yes.

My son goes to piano camp at Interlochen.

http://www.interlochen.org/camp/summer_camp_programs/music

He goes for 4 weeks because that is all we can afford. He would like to go for the full 6 weeks. He also goes to Boy Scout camp, but that is only for one week, and my Dh goes with him.

My girls go to Girl Scout camp

http://www.gssjc.org/camp/mistymeadows.cfm

My 13 year old works with the younger girls in the summer, and on selected weekends during the year.

Sadly, we have not yet found a camp that is affordable for us. Well, that's not quite true. If it meant the world to someone, we'd try to find a way to afford it. But, so far... Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I loved my experiences as a camper and a counselor at a YMCA camp up in the mountains of NC. I'd send my kids there is a second if I could swing the expense. Bleh. I'm already feeling kind of useless tonight (sorry to drag that in here). This just exacerbates that feeling.

My kids' camp is a week (or more) at each grandparents' house, where they often get to do something out of the ordinary like a day camp, or a trip to the beach. That's had to suffice for us/them so far.

Doran

We always ask for scholarships. Add in the flexibility to fill an empty space during an in-less-demand week, and you have a good chance of getting a major chunk of your tuition covered.

No way can we afford traditional camp.

Hey, what was the camp name? Have I been there? Gorgeous-doesn't-even-begin-to-describe-it view from the chapel?

but, that doesn't mean I never will. At our old church they had a junior's camp that was for a weeked just for kids from the church and counselors from the church. I would have probably let them go to that (my bil is the children's pastor) but, at the church we go to now, they send their kids to a camp where I don't know the counselors and I would not do that at this age!! I loved camp as a high schooler and I hope to find a good experience for our kids to have that. We'll have to wait and see. I don't love the thought of them being away for a week.

My eldest (12 yr old ) will be going to a "rookie" camp for a week for the first time this summer. He has been to a couple of overnights and I think he is ready for a one week camp. The nearly 9 year old went with dh last year to a cub scouts camp but he won't be going by himself anytime soon. The twins might even go sooner than him because they have each other and do not have his 'issues.":001_smile:

Elmeryl

We did our first sleep over last summer, when ds was 13 (three week residential) and he experienced some adjustment, but in the end really loved it, and wants to go again this year! So it worked out for us quite well.

I checked out the camp (Center for Talented Youth) by asking lots of people who knew it about their experiences, and by doing the day camp the previous year. I was comfortable that it was a well-run, safe place to be.

Last year ALL our DC went to a week long Christian camp. DS and DD attended the year prior. They are all independent and excited to go! It was such a thrilling time for them. We're sad that we can't afford to send everyone this year, so they'll take off this year and hopefully go again next summer.

I think as a parent one is naturally reticent to send their child to an away camp. But if you have a strong feeling against it, follow your gut! If you're not sure, get recommendations and check out facility and staff.

My two oldest have been to church camp. Both went for the first time when they were eight.

This is a church camp that members of our church have been going to for years. I know several people my age that went when they were kids, and they are now sending their kids. Several college students from our church have worked there as counselors through the years. To me, that's a lot of people who have inside information, and I haven't heard anything negative about the camp.

The children from our church all attend the same week. Two to three adults from the church go as well. Our children's pastor, whom I trust implicitly, always stays for the week with the kids, too.

I was finally ready last summer but it was too late to get her into the one I wanted her to go to. This year I knew how to get her in and she's going.

I have heard so many wonderful things about this camp from people I know and from people I don't know. The main thing is that it's affordable. So many camps in this area cost and arm and a leg. AND they last a month! If I'm not ready to send them off for a week, I suddenly I'm supposed to (a) send in a mortgage payment and (b) send her off for a month? I don't think so.

So the camp she is going to sees camp as a ministry which keeps the cost down. It's a Christian camp which I know doesn't insulate her from stuff, but I do hope it keeps the staff more accountable.

I let my kids go to sleep away camp the summer before last (the boys were 12 and DD was 10.5). Two of the boys went to Little League Camp for a week, and one of the boys & DD went to 4-H Camp.

We let them go because we could afford it, we checked out the camps thoroughly and we were satisfied the kids would be safe, and because the kids wanted to go. Also, since I have enough kids to do this, I wouldn't let any of them go to camp without a sibling.

All the kids had a great time. The only part I didn't like was that the kids went to camp on two different weeks -- I would have liked to get shed of them all at the same time.

The following year the kids didn't go because we couldn't afford it.

The catch-22 is that you have to really get a great recommendation for a camp from someone you trust or just send your kids and find out. But I'm very leary about "testing out" any overnight thing so we're kinda stuck. lol

As a kid I was molested by other girls at a sleepover and so I have that experience coloring all overnight activities for my children and think I can't be too careful even if it means I never get a week-long break (which I would really benefit from, actually!!).

Ds went to his first overnight camp at SeaWorld in San Antonio two summers ago. I did not know anyone who had been so I called and grilled the education department there. I can tell you that the staff there are even more anal and overprotective than I am. :-) I should also mention that ds called home a couple of times that week for MY piece of mind. He returned to SeaWorld for the Career camp last summer, and once again had an awesome experience.

He is currently away right now on a week-long camping trip with the Fort Smith Mountain Men out of Georgetown. For this one, I asked for references and contact information for parents who had sent their children. They are not allowed cell phones with this group so I won't be hearing from ds...which is a little hard. If he like this trip, we're going to send him on their Alaska trip this summer. It is 32 days...I'll be going slowly crazy.

I never thought I'd be a mom who let her children go to overnight camp, but I am.

Our congregation has an overnight camp and I let my gluten-free 10 and 7 yo's go the first year. I had two youngers and didn't want to take them for various reasons, but the older girls wanted to go. I sent every meal for them to eat. I also sent vitamins.

They didn't go the next year.

Last year, I went with them. To this day, I have no idea how they fed my kids properly, but they didn't have any problems with gluten infractions when they came home.

From now on, I'll probably always go with them. The first year, one of my children had an allergic reaction to something in the air. I would rather have been there while she felt so terrible. However, I trust the people who are at camp with my kids. In fact, I rarely seem them during the day when I am there. My job is to help with the pre-campers, so I hang out with my youngest all day.

All in all, it comes down to trust. Since I'm able to go to camp, I do. If there were some weird reason for me not to be able to go, I'd probably still let them go. However, I even have a fun time at camp. This year, my dh is taking off of work and we're all going to attend camp. I expect it to be our best year ever.

I do not let my dc spend the night away from us. As a compromise for church camp I run sibling camp so I can have my younger dc with me, and the 2 older ones attend all the activities until it is time for sleep, then they come bunk with me. Church camp or not, I have to answer to God for these children He blessed me with and I just "know" that they are not to spend the night away. 90% of molestation happens by someone you trust. :scared:

:rant:

Would you believe me if I told you that she didn't get to go unless I was present? ;)

The Pastor did NOT like this one bit, but he recanted when he found I could take pictures for them. She was 12 I believe(maybe a bit younger).

I allow sleepovers at friends/family with zero reservations. But I would not have allowed this had I not been allowed to go. And no, I did not "helicopter"--in fact, I stayed totally away from her. She was just in my sight the whole time. And I'm glad I did go because I'd have had a heck of a time deprogramming her from all the BS they fed her.

Then, a year or so ago, I let her go to a huge Christian concert with another church we were attending, over the course of the weekend. They not only abandoned my daughter, when they found her, they refused to let her call me. That Pastor is still afraid of me. And I am not ashamed to say that.

So basically, unless I am there, NO. Friends, family--no problem. Sleepaway camp, for whatever reason--absolutely not.

Ds went to his first overnight camp at SeaWorld in San Antonio two summers ago. I did not know anyone who had been so I called and grilled the education department there. I can tell you that the staff there is even more anal and overprotective than I am. :-) I should also mention that ds called home a couple of times that week for MY piece of mind. He returned to SeaWorld for the Career camp last summer, and once again had an awesome experience.

Here in Orlando, I got to meet the oriental lady who runs the camp on the tv show. I grilled her right at the park about it and she not only answered every one of my questions but she also told me a few things even *I* didn't think of. :) They are VERY anal about your kids. That much I can say and despite my protestations above, had I the money, both my girls would go.

My 13yo went to Scout camp for a week last summer, but we had a huge resource of word of mouth rec's for that one, and I was comfortable w/ ds' readiness. Considering the molestation carp the scouts has been thru, I'm leery about them [as with any group, really]. I do see a strict adherence to protective principles in this troop tho, so that's a plus.

We do sleep overs w/ a couple of friends, but that's about it. My 13yo and 10 yo do the most. My 6yo has done a few w/ a family we are closely involved w/ --usually when a sibling spends the night too. Once he did one on his own at their house cuz we switched kids - i had one of hers and she had one of mine.

I require adult presence at church camps too --mostly for the same reasons Toni shared lol --deprogramming. ugh.

i wouldn't send my 10yo or 6yo to camp w/o me or dh there. Since having a 2yo and 4yo make it difficult to attend very many camps/required training sessions, those have been eliminated for now. As was mentioned, there's plenty we can do as a family. :)

I do not trust anyone with my dc except "My" family. I do not even trust dh's family, because they are to carefree with their dc.

I have let my 2 boys spend a week at my parents house, dd has not yet had the opportunity.

We will never let our dc go to a camp. I do not trust them and neither does my dh...he and his sister was force to go as a children even though they told their parents they didn't like it.

And I do not like the thought that my dc aren't allowed to call me whenever they want or I can not call them when I want.

Absolutely NOT for us

There is a great Christian family camp we have attended every year for the last seven years that also has youth camps. Our eldest dd9 has attended the girls camp alone (without us but with a friend or friends). This will be her fourth year (yes, she went alone and very willingly at age 6, the youngest the camp will take!) She is very mature for her age. I swear she could run our household now if she could drive and reach everything in the kitchen without a chair! Our ds7 is going for the first time to camp this year, it is only 2 nights and he has two buddies going with him. He is also pretty mature but we did not send him last year as I was concerned about homesickness in him. Our dd5 desperately wants to go and she'll be just fine to do that next year. We have gotten to know the family who runs the camp really well so we feel very comfortable with the whole thing.

I am not saying I never will but my ds's are 12 and 10yo and I haven't been able to yet. Maybe I am overprotective but there are so many horror stories out there and I don't want my kids being a part of them. I do send them to day camps though and they enjoy them but they then come home to spend the night with their family.

I am also not one to allow sleepovers either unless I have known the parents for a very long time and I know how they are with their own kids.

One thing I made sure of was that the kids could call or send me emails. I sent them email every day. We have a code word that they could easily work into their conversations or emails, that would signal me that they needed my help.

It was "waffle". All they had to do was use the word however they wanted to, or say "Can we have waffles for breakfast when we come home?".

The reason for the code word was that if a situation came up, I wasn't sure my kids would ask the camp personnel for help or feel comfortable doing so. I knew they'd ask me, though.