Menu

My name is Michelle and I am a spelling snob.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would happily forgive one episode of horse devoirs if only people the world over would agree to quit using dilemna when they mean dilemma.

On another forum, someone is constantly typing, "Walaah!" I finally figured out that she means, "Voila."

Walaah might just be a regional thing. I've said it many times. :) Slang.

I do agree that professional things should be spelled correctly. You're representing yourself to the world. Take the time to care.

My ds13 asked me the other day if I just go around *looking* for spelling mistakes. :glare: I told him they JUMP OUT at me! It's an illness or something, for Pete's sake! I do it with grammar and punctuation, too.

We went on vacation and went to many national and state parks. I found a spelling or grammatical error on a sign in every single one. It was sad. I have shared here previously about my aunt, too, who sent our family invitations to a "bomb fire." :ohmy: I almost appreciate the errors, as they keep me entertained.

My least favorites are homeschool related:

(1.) When someone writes an article or blog post critical of homeschoolers, and the comments defending homeschooling contain numerous errors.

(2.) When people are teaching classes for homeschoolers or are in charge of co-ops, etc., and they can't spell or use grammar correctly. Way to inspire confidence. :glare:

My problem is not so much with a lack of education; it's with the lack of enough concern to LOOK IT UP.

But when I type something incorrectly (even on this forum) my misspelled word is underlined in red and if you don't know how to correct it yourself, all you have to do is to right click the red underlined word and it will give you a choice of words (or in some case only one word) to choose from for the correct spelling. I realize that in the case of homophones that wouldn't work but not all words are homophones. . .

I habitually ignore the spell checker on the forum because it is set to US spelling.

Laura

You know that is interesting because I still get confused between stuff like "color" and "colour". Most of the books in our English language bookstore came from Great Britain.

And grew up overseas, they also have been rather confused in the past. We have now standardised (there goes that red line!) on British spelling but still come up with occasional problems.

Laura

I definately agree. Their are two many of those. I wish peeple would chose to proofread. (yes, tongue is firmly in cheek on those errors above. Any below I will blame on poor typing or a wild two year old.)

What about the grammar errors? Any favorites that drive you bananas?

"he thinks he's better than me" or "Joe, Jim and myself are going...?" or "We don't have no apples."

Arghhh

My problem is not so much with a lack of education; it's with the lack of enough concern to LOOK IT UP.

I TOTALLY AGREE! I have 3 Dictionaries by my desk and if I am typing and I know I am spelling something wrong, I obviously look it up. I wish more people would too!

I automatically judge someone who spells something wrong, I wish I didn't but I do!

I'm a spelling snob too. I try not to be, but really, it's hard for me.

I'm part of another homeschooling forum and I see a lot of common things misspelled, not typos, because they type it the same way repeatedly, and it drives me crazy.

manditory

rediculous

close (meaning clothes)

experiances

injoy

consintrate

hole (when they mean whole)

I know there's more I'm forgetting.

I saw a sign in a truck stop when I was traveling from Ohio to Florida many years ago that I have never forgotten:

We do not exept no checks are credit cards.

Thankyou

The Mangement

grammer

:001_huh:

I will say no more.

:auto:

Actually, I will - I wish never, ever, ever to see "peek" and "peak" mixed up again!

Well, I call myself a spelling geek, rather than a spelling snob. I just love spelling. My daughter thinks I'm so strange. Bad spellers run in my family too, on my husbands side, so I have such a hard time overlooking all the errors I see daily on Facebook. :tongue_smilie:

Guest Dulcimeramy
Saw one today on I-70..."8 lunchs under $8" :001_huh:

Chelle

Whenever letters are just left out, I assume the writer is of an economical disposition.

Maybe it isn't ignorance! Maybe it is all psychological!

A person who runs short on letters often proves to be a person who runs short on the rent.

A person who consistently picks the wrong homophone also calls her kids by the wrong names.

A person who writes, "horse devoirs," seriously wishes "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" would get back on prime time.

We went on vacation and went to many national and state parks. I found a spelling or grammatical error on a sign in every single one. It was sad. I have shared here previously about my aunt, too, who sent our family invitations to a "bomb fire." :ohmy: I almost appreciate the errors, as they keep me entertained.

My least favorites are homeschool related:

(1.) When someone writes an article or blog post critical of homeschoolers, and the comments defending homeschooling contain numerous errors.

(2.) When people are teaching classes for homeschoolers or are in charge of co-ops, etc., and they can't spell or use grammar correctly. Way to inspire confidence. :glare:

A big, fat YES to everything you said, Angela!

Chelle

Whenever letters are just left out, I assume the writer is of an economical disposition.

Maybe it isn't ignorance! Maybe it is all psychological!

A person who runs short on letters often proves to be a person who runs short on the rent.

A person who consistently picks the wrong homophone also calls her kids by the wrong names.

A person who writes, "horse devoirs," seriously wishes "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" would get back on prime time.

You're funny!

Chelle

That walaah thing drives me nuts, too! It's like they heard voila on t.v. or something and just thought to pronounce it the way they heard it. Meanwhile, the rest of society is shaking their head at them, thinking: what the heck are you saying? ARG!

Two words that I spell wrong all the time are cappaccinno and vaccuumm... see, my spelling rule is this: when in doubt, double every letter! ;)

P.S.: I used to be an editor :lol:

Guest Dulcimeramy
That walaah thing drives me nuts, too! It's like they heard voila on t.v. or something and just thought to pronounce it the way they heard it. Meanwhile, the rest of society is shaking their head at them, thinking: what the heck are you saying? ARG!

Two words that I spell wrong all the time are cappaccinno and vaccuumm... see, my spelling rule is this: when in doubt, double every letter! ;)

P.S.: I used to be an editor :lol:

:lol:

I just like to pick on other people's poor spelling, because it deflects attention away from my sentence structure issues. I confess I'm learning gobs of info from my child's Rod and Staff grammar. I mean the green book...grade 3.

Spelling errors drive me crazy. As a teenager, I worked for a small weekly newspaper that competed with another small weekly. Our editor was very good at her job. :) Each week, she would take the competitor's paper, proofread the entire thing in red ink, and send it back to them. At fifteen, I found that hilarious. As an adult, I find myself wanting to do the same thing.

J

The British/American differences in spelling don't bother me at all. In fact, I think of the British spellings as quaint, for some reason!

Chelle

It's just that I always ignore the red line, and sometimes that might be not a spelling difference but something that's just wrong.

Laura

I honestly sometimes have a hard time figuring out what people mean when they misspell. I am not talking about the common misspellings or wrong typed letters. I mean things like the sewing machine example or no business to large or small. I really did think that they meant they only have medium sized clothes or shoes if they were selling those type of things. If a clothing store had that sign, I would bypass it if I was looking for clothes for my daughters who need small size clothing that many stores don't have.

AMEN!! I am a spelling, punctuation AND grammar snob.

Sign I just passed at a church near our home.

"Awana - Sunday's at 6:00 p.m."

Why, oh why do people put apostrophes on plural words?? A misused apostrophe is a HUGE pet peeve of mine!! It drive's me to drink!! :tongue_smilie:

I'm a spelling snob too. I try not to be, but really, it's hard for me.

I'm part of another homeschooling forum and I see a lot of common things misspelled, not typos, because they type it the same way repeatedly, and it drives me crazy.

manditory

rediculous

close (meaning clothes)

experiances

injoy

consintrate

hole (when they mean whole)

See, I couldn't chat there. If someone is consistently misspelling words, I tend toward thinking they are unintelligent. I can't help it. I know that isn't always the case, but it strikes me that way. I really try not to do that so much now....especially since my older son struggles so much with spelling.

Edited by Tree House Academy

See, I couldn't chat there. If someone is consistently misspelling words, I tend toward thinking they are unintelligent. I can't help it. I know that isn't always the case, but it strikes me that way. I really try not to do that so much now....especially since my older son struggles so much with spelling.

It's a total newbie forum. There are posts daily saying "I want to homeschool my children and I don't know what to do".

I've gotten to the point where I just check in and give advice/answer questions. I would never pose a question to that group. If I need help I ask this group. There's one or two Mom's there that are just wonderful intelligent people and I think they are the main reason I keep going back.

I also tend to think the people I mentioned are unintelligent, and part of me can't help thinking that those posters definitely should NOT be homeschooling their children.

I also tend to think the people I mentioned are unintelligent, and part of me can't help thinking that those posters definitely should NOT be homeschooling their children.

I tend to think the same way. :auto:

Let me throw out my disclaimer that I KNOW there are lots of people who have a hard time spelling but are still very intelligent. My son's dad is a Regional VP for a fortune 100 company and his spelling is terrible. HOWEVER, the difference between him and some of those folks you mentioned is that he cares how his writing comes off. Even on a message board, he would use spell check before hitting submit. No one is perfect, and spelling errors here and there are totally fine...but I agree with you about feeling that, if someone can't even take the time to spell correctly (or mostly correctly), they probably shouldn't be passing that on tp their kids by homeschooling. If they do, perhaps their dh should teach English.:lol:

Rebecca (who has an English degree which helps to make her a total spelling snob)

You know those lists of the "100 Misspelled Words"? If the word is one of those, I'm more likely to give the person the benefit of the doubt because those words are on that list for a reason - they are hard to remember how to spell! It's the basic words that are misspelled or when every other word is misspelled that it bothers me. And I agree with those who point out that a sign or brochure put out by a business should be held to a higher standard.

I tend to think the same way.

Let me throw out my disclaimer that I KNOW there are lots of people who have a hard time spelling but are still very intelligent.

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to sound like a b*tch. I'm just thinking, if Mom can't spell simple words, phonetic words, with spell check available on a forum where she's posting to hundreds of other homeschoolers for advice, I have to wonder what kind of education she is going to give her children.

Fear of having my point misunderstood or offending someone is why I usually just keep these thoughts to myself.

Edited by Dawn in OH
Because I caught an EMBARASSING typo..in a thread about spelling and grammar!

Me too. Not typos of course. I just read on one of my yahoo groups a homeschooling question that contained almost zero capitalization, scattered punctuation and most of it didn't make sense. If that wasn't enough, the question itself was somewhat startling once you actually figured it out. So I have to agree as well.

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to sound like a b*tch. I'm just thinking, if Mom can't spell simple words, phonetic words, with spell check available on a forum wheres she posting to hundreds of other homeschoolers for advice, I have to wonder what kind of education she is going to give her children.

Fear of having my point misunderstood or offending someone is why I usually just keep these thoughts to myself.

:iagree: Yep...this is what I meant.

Why, oh why do people put apostrophes on plural words?? A misused apostrophe is a HUGE pet peeve of mine!! It drive's me to drink!! :tongue_smilie:

And one of my favorite places to drink is a local Mexican restaurant named Papa's and Beer. :D I cringe each time I see that apostrophe, but they sure do serve some awesome Sangria! :lol:

"A man's wis'dom give's him pa'tience; it' i's to h'is glory t'o over''look an' 'offen'se". Proverb's 19:11

Hope I plased the apostrophe'ss corectlee :001_smile:

:lol::lol::lol:

About the "s"......

I have an excrutiating peeve and it's when people say they're going to "Awanas" or "my kid goes to Awanas" or "I go to the doctors". Drives me batty. Kids go to Awana (does their child go to several awana classes? No, they go to Awana) and you go to the doctor or you go to the doctor's office.

Just say'in.

About the "s"......

I have an excrutiating peeve and it's when people say they're going to "Awanas" or "my kid goes to Awanas" or "I go to the doctors". Drives me batty. Kids go to Awana (does their child go to several awana classes? No, they go to Awana) and you go to the doctor or you go to the doctor's office.

Just say'in.

I suppose in that case you could say that you go to the doctor's (with the office part understood)? But that looks funny. . .

Love this thread. We are all a little snobbish on these issues...I tell ya though I've become near paralyzed over the whole apostrophe thing..I'm so afraid of using it incorrectly on this board that I often change my entire sentence structure to avoid it completely. :tongue_smilie:

About the "s"......

Just say'in.

I have a friend who shops at "Wal Marts" and "Targets." And, no, she doesn't shop at more than one of each. :)

Then there's my sister who buys medicine from the "farmist." That's how she says it. AAAAAaahhhhhh!

J

Snort! Rocket science!!

I tend to be very forgiving when it comes to spelling errors. My dad, an engineer, is a brilliant man. But, he cannot spell to save his life!!! My ds is following in his footsteps. But, when it comes to a HUGE sign at a government building, I guess I would've thought someone in authority would've seen it!!! :lol: