Menu

My name is Michelle and I am a spelling snob.

According to the Canadian Dyslexic Center, over 50% of NASA employees are dyslexic. They are deliberately sought after because they have superb problem-solving skills and excellent 3D and spatial awareness, which I guess more than makes up for their dyslexic spelling.

Dyslexia is a specific language-based disorder characterized by difficulties in single word decoding, usually reflecting insufficient phonological processing. These difficulties are often unexpected in relation to age and other cognitive and academic abilities; they are not the result of generalized developmental disability or laziness. Dyslexia is manifested by variable difficulty with different forms of language, often including, in addition to problems reading, a conspicuous problem with acquiring proficiency in writing and spelling.

William Butler Yeats, winner of the Noble Prize for Poetry in 1923, was a notoriously poor speller, whose spelling mimics those examples previous. He was dyslexic and his dyslexia meant he often gave multiple and incorrect spellings of the same word within a single paragraph. The following sentence is from the letters of W.B. Yeats as excerpted from Thomas West in his book, In the Mind’s Eye: Visual Thinkers, Gifted People with Learning Difficulties, Computer Image, and the Ironies of Creativity;

‘The subtile and gorgeous originality of these vigerus Keltic letters shows such schlorship as to leave the reader fealing decideldy exausted’.

So please take a moment to walk in the shoes of a dyslexic, for whom spelling can be a veritable Mount Everest, before the red pens and lines of spell checking erase the forest for the trees.

Or as my son might write, "I knwo that Dislexicks can hav some crazee speling misteaks, but I think that waht we have to say is worth the treble it takes to rede it, becuasue dyslecixs arhh pretty gifted peepul two."

PS - My son is now envisioning starting his own spelling snob - dyslexic speller match making educational service. He's currently working on a tag line...spelling snobs needed immediately. ;)

Edited by DSAcademy
Spelling and grammar

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Canadian Dyslexic Center, over 50% of NASA employees are dyslexic. They are deliberately sought after because they have superb problem-solving skills and excellent 3D and spatial awareness, which I guess more than makes up for their dyslexic spelling.

Dyslexia is a specific language-based disorder characterized by difficulties in single word decoding, usually reflecting insufficient phonological processing. These difficulties are often unexpected in relation to age and other cognitive and academic abilities; they are not the result of generalized developmental disability or laziness. Dyslexia is manifested by variable difficulty with different forms of language, often including, in addition to problems reading, a conspicuous problem with acquiring proficiency in writing and spelling.

William Butler Yeats, winner of the Noble Prize for Poetry in 1923, was a notoriously poor speller, whose spelling mimics those "laughable" examples previous. He was dyslexic and his dyslexia meant he often gave multiple and incorrect spellings of the same word within a single paragraph. The following sentence is from the letters of W.B. Yeats as excerpted from Thomas West in his book, In the Mind’s Eye: Visual Thinkers, Gifted People with Learning Difficulties, Computer Image, and the Ironies of Creativity;

‘The subtile and gorgeous originality of these vigerus Keltic letters shows such schlorship as to leave the reader fealing decideldy exausted’.

So please take a moment to walk in the shoes of a dyslexic, for whom spelling can be a veritable Mount Everest, before the red pens and lines of spell checking erase the forest for the trees.

Or as my son might write, "I knwo that Dislexicks can hav some crazee speling misteaks, but I think that waht we have to say is worth the treble it takes to rede it, becuasue dyslecixs arhh pretty gifted peepul two."

PS - My is now envisioning starting his own spelling snob - dyslexic speller match making educational service. He's currently working on a tag line...spelling snobs needed immediately. ;)

Interesting! My ds (the one who cannot spell to save his life!), wants to work for NASA. He's not dyslexic, but he has Asperger's! I've read somewhere that a number of NASA employees have Asperger's too.

I sincerely doubt that any posters were actually designed by NASA scientists themselves. I'm sure they were done by an advertising agency, complete with a copy editor. If your job is to communicate in print, then you should meet certain competencies in the language in which you are communicating. And you should check, double and triple check your work because mistakes communicate something too. And it's not positive.

• 4 months later...

I am right there with you on the spelling. Professionally, it does detract from their credibility. It does make people look ignorant. I know a little spelling error here or there is one thing. But professionally, well that's just crazy.

:)