Menu

Places you have lived?

I've only lived in two places, New York City (also Bronx & Westchester Co) & Atlanta, and I always love to hear about where others have lived. Which places were their favorites, and where else they would love to live if given the chance. I've been inching for a move for years now... but I have too many place I would love give a try, Spain, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Thailand. :auto:

OK, your turn.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in:

Minnesota: love it except for the cold, great people, very educated

Pittsburgh: prettier than I thought it would be

Washington DC: (Virginia) great fun, tons to do, but very transient, hot and humid

Boston: loved the history, not crazy about the lifestyle

Denver: great weather, lots to do

I don't know where else I would want to live, but I would love to visit for a while. I'm trying to talk dh into an overseas work stint.

Western MI (Grew up there)

Poughkeepsie, NY (College)

Boston (my first real job!)

Rosemont, PA (outside Philadelphia - after dh and I got married)

CHarleroi, PA (dh's second job)

Grosse Pointe Park, MI and I'm NEVER moving again.

We will be going to Europe for three months (but not living there for any period longer than that) for dh's sabatical in a couple years.

I grew up in Columbia, MD. I went to school in Blacksburg, VA. Then we moved to the Atlanta area, and have lived here for 15 years.

If I could move... I don't know. I love London. Or I might want to move back to Columbia. When I retire, it will be to the beach in South Carolina.

NY (Long Island, specifically); Bennington, VT; Charlottesville, VA area; St. Louis, MO (city and county); Bay Area, CA (San Francisco, Oakland); Western MA. Also Ireland (Co. Galway) and Germany (Berlin, Hamburg, and a little town near Freiburg i.B. called Hinterzarten).

IA

OH

PA

TN (my parents moved there while I was in college so I didn't live there much)

IA again

IL

and now I'm stuck in Louisiana

I really enjoyed all of them except for down here in LA - it's far too hot for too long. I loved PA and would go back in a heartbeat. If I were just to choose some place, I would probably pick somewhere in VA - lots of history, nature, mountains, ocean, 4 seasons. All those things we don't have here.

Born in Fresno, Ca

Moved to San Diego, Ca

Moved to Virginia Beach, Va

Back to San Diego, Ca

to Como, Tx (population 200, ye-haw)

to Norfolk, Va

to South Weymouth, Ma (suburb of Boston)

to St. Petersburg, Fl

to Sulpher Springs, Tx

Ogden, Ut

to Norman, Ok

Denver, Co

Mountain Home, Id

Okinawa, Japan

Bitburg, Germany

Jacksonville, Fl

Buffalo, NY

Niagra Falls, NY

Dallas, Tx

Salt Lake City, Ut

Elko, Nv

Clearwater, Fl

Green Bay, Wi

Oklahoma City, Ok

Plano, Tx

Green Bay, Wi

Cape Coral, Fl

Brentwood, Tn

Spring Hill, Tn

I think that's all. Can you tell my dad and my dh were military. My favorite places were Germany and Boston. Unfortunately, I can't afford to live in either. Really like Tn though. :001_smile:

I grew up on the Cumberland Plateau, in north-central Tennessee, in a very small town. I lived in Knoxville (east TN) while attending college, and in one other little east TN town for a very short time, before moving to Baton Rouge, LA. I still love our family farm and the many state and national parks in our area. I grew up hiking and camping and jeeping.

My family has owned a house in a small, central Florida town for many, many decades and I grew up going to Florida on a regular basis for vacations. I adore the ocean! The Sanibel/Captiva area is perhaps my most favorite part of FL, as I love shelling!

I met my husband in Louisiana, married, and lived in BR for almost 15 years before his change in jobs brought us to Lexington. I adored Louisiana in many, many ways, save for the humidity and mosquitoes, LOL. My work there took me all over the state, so I felt that I really got to know that state even better, perhaps, than my native TN while I lived there. I love the Cajun culture, the FOOD, the Spanish moss, the FOOD, the plantation homes, the FOOD......

Overall, I think Lexington has been a much safer, smaller city in which to raise my children. I enjoy all the little rural roads that run through the farm country and explore these areas whenever I can. I love the many old stone fences. It was here that I discovered homeschooling. Most of all, this central location has made it much more practical for us to explore all the states around the Great Lakes and into Canada while we've lived here. It's been great!

Places I've discovered where I might like to live in future (at least in summer, LOL):

Bayside, Wisconsin or any little town within about 2 hours south of there, in the North Woods area of Wisconsin.

The Georgian Bay area of Lake Huron, in Canada (10,000 Islands area).

Somewhere between Munising and Grand Marais in the UP of Michigan (but I'd want to be on Superior).

Nova Scotia, particularly the Cape Breton area.

Or somewhere in the north of Scotland.

Winter living? How about Maui? I love Hawaii, too......

Regena

Camp LeJune, NC

Quantico, VA

San Pedro, CA

29 Palms, CA

Yucca Valley, CA

Yuma, AZ

Irvine, Palm Springs & Costa Mesa, CA

Huntingtown, MD

Knoxville, TN

I would move just about anywhere. Dad was in the military and I got used to moving around, my mom says I've got gypsie blood because I LOVE to move. Top on my places to move to would be Montana, Wyoming or Florida and I would love to live in England or Ireland. :)

Montgomery, AL

Las Vegas, NV

Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Howard AFB, Panama

Wiesbaden, Germany

Oklahoma City, OK

Dallas, TX

Oxford, England

various other places in north Texas

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Northville, MI

Chicago

now, back in MI

My favorite place was England. Emotionally, for many reasons, it's my "home." :) But I'll move just about anywhere. I enjoy moving.

I've only lived in two places, New York City (also Bronx & Westchester Co) & Atlanta, and I always love to hear about where others have lived. Which places were their favorites, and where else they would love to live if given the chance. I've been inching for a move for years now... but I have too many place I would love give a try, Spain, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Thailand. :auto:

OK, your turn.

I have lived in AL, TN, and CA. We're about to move to FL, and I'd love to live in Australia/New Zealand, Ireland, England, and visit lots of other places. My top choice is Australia though. :D

Texas (Beeville, Azle, Fort Worth, Corpus Christi, Waxahachie, Eldorado, San Angelo)

North Carolina (Havelock, Engelhard)

South Carolina (Beaufort)

Virginia (Quantico)

Rhode Island (Newport)

Hawaii (Kaneohe, Kailua)

California (Monterey)

Turkey (Izmir)

Missouri (Springfield)

Louisiana (Baton Rouge)

Love, love moving and had a bit of an adjustment when I married a civilian (my dad was military). We've lived in the same general area for 14 years and have only lived in 2 states in the 18 years we've been married.

Wiesbaden, Germany

Barksdale A.F. B. (Bossier), LA

Ramstein A.F.B., Germany

Prattville (Montgomery), AL

Maxwell A.F. B. (Montgomery), AL

Shively (Louisville), KY

St. Matthews (Louisville), KY

Decatur, GA

Hollywood, FL

Smyrna, GA

Atlanta, GA

Brookline, MA

Metrowest area of Boston, MA

I grew up in Accident, MD. Well, actually, I grew up on a farm 5 miles from Accident, MD. Accident had a whopping population of 251 back then, but they've grown to about 350 now.

Then I lived a year in downtown Baltimore while going to college.

Next, 3 years in Fort Walton Beach, FL. Florida is just too dang hot and I was happy to leave.

I lived in Okinawa 3 years and loved it. South China Sea on one side and Pacific Ocean on the other.

Then I went back to Baltimore for 11 years. Finished college, got married, started having kids. Baltimore definitely has the best food of any place I've lived - similar to NYC.

I've now lived outside of Raleigh, NC for 9 years. Love the lack of crime, pollution, and traffic jams, but miss Baltimore's great restaurants and sub shops.

Baltimore definitely has the best food of any place I've lived - similar to NYC.

I've now lived outside of Raleigh, NC for 9 years. Love the lack of crime, pollution, and traffic jams, but miss Baltimore's great restaurants and sub shops.

I miss Baltimore's food, too.

My DH works for a company located in Cary, NC. Every few years they threaten to relocate us to Cary.

I've lived in Texas, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Mississippi, Indiana, and Ohio, and Kansas. I've spent most of my adult life in Kansas.

We lived in NYC when I was a toddler. I don't have a lot of memories and the memories I do have are more general impressions or memories of very small, specific things--my dad's apartment when my parents were separated, my coat, walking down the street with my dad, the statues in Central Park when we went back for a visit, and China Town from my aunt's shoulders during the Chinese New Year's parade. Mostly I remember too much noise, too many people, and drab buildings too close together. I'd like to visit again someday, but I would never want to live there. I need wide open spaces:)

I was born in Texas and most of my mom's family lives there still. We lived near Houston and Dallas and in Austin and we lived in a small college town about an hour from Dallas. I didn't like Spring (outside Houston) or Richardson (outside Dallas) as much as Austin. There is something about Austin that I really like. It's not so overwhelming for one thing, but there's more to it than that. Commerce was a nice little college town, but I don't know that I'd choose to live there. We lived in San Marcos for a while and there were things that I remember liking about that, but it's kind of a strange little town. If we moved to Texas, I would want to live in the hill country. My grandmother owned a house outside of Wimberley for years and I always enjoyed visiting there even though I did not have a good relationship with my grandmother.

My dad's family is from northwestern New Jersey (Sussex County) and we lived there for a while when I was young. People laugh at me when I tell them about the part of my childhood spent there. My memories are full of mountains and forests and green pastures. I don't think that's the picture most people have of New Jersey. It's a beautiful place, but I know my dad and his parents always struggled with the cost of living there.

I lived in New Mexico when I was pretty young, but I have visited several times as a teen and adult. Parts of New Mexico seem horribly depressed. They are dry, dusty, desolate places. There are areas that are better and some of the towns have lovely historic areas. If we were going to live in New Mexico, I'd prefer to live in the mountains within an hour of a town of a decent size. I'd love to go backpacking in those mountains again.

Mississippi is a pretty, green state with plenty of trees. Like New Mexico, though, there seem to be some areas that are particularly depressed. I suppose you could find those areas in any state. I don't know what else to say about Mississippi except that the three years I spent there were mostly a very happy part of my childhood. If racism was a problem, I was too young to recognize it.

My three favorite states that I've lived are Indiana, Ohio, and Kansas. I lived in Indiana for two years while I was in 8th and 9th grades and in Ohio from 10th-12th and for a year after being married. I've lived in Kansas for the last 17 years. When we first moved to Kansas I missed all the trees and green of Indiana and Ohio. I've come to appreciate Kansas' own special beauty. It helps that we found land on the edge of the Flint Hillls where it is not so flat and we have plenty of trees. I think I prefer the midwest and rural life.

If you are asking me, instead of Mama Lynx, I was born there in 1956 and lived there for 2 years. My mom is German and my dad was in the air force.

When were you in Wiesbaden? Were you one of the ones talking about Camp Lachenwald on the old board?

I lived there from 1980-84.

States;

IL,

OK,

TX,

MS,

CA.

Spent 6 to 8 weeks a few times working on archeology digs in the four corners region mostly UT and CO and on cliff dwellings. Way too old for that kind of stuff now but in my 20s I could back pack- hike 12 hours into remote places carrying my share of the load, and live in a tent for weeks and not think twice about it. Worst dig was garbology with Professor William Rathje of the University of Arizona I know I lost some of my sense of smell the two summers I did that :svengo:

Countries;

Israel Jerusalem

United Arab Emirate Abu dhabi.

Places I have visited;

Saudi,

Spain,

Holland,

Germany,

Belgium,

Canada,

Mexico.

I loved Jerusalem and hated Abu dhabi. Of course I chose to live in Jerusalem and was sent to Abu dhabi by the Air Guard so that probably had a lot to do with it. I would like to see Jerusalem again and visit dh's family there. It would be nice to see the South Pacific and Australia and New Zealand. However the place I would really like to see is Mozambique weird I know :ack2: and then maybe Ethiopia.

Fun thread :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

I was born in the Philippines, then lived in Massachusetts, Germany, Pensacola Florida, Maryland, Puerto Rico, Jacksonville Florida, Key West Florida, Sicily, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, then Virginia.

My father was in the Navy and I married a Navy man.

I loved living in Puerto Rico as a child. I would visit Sicily again, but wouldn't want to live there. I liked Pennsylvania and Florida a lot, too. The favorite places I have visited are Spain, the Virgin Islands, and London.

If I could live anywhere it would probably still be on the East coast of the US, but I would like to visit more of the rest of the US, especially Alaska, Hawaii, and some of our country's more spectacular natural phenomena.

I really do not want to live in South Carolina. For some reason, I always get very depressed visiting there.

Grew up in NJ (lived in three different towns).

Went to college in PA.

Newlywed in Washington, DC.

Had first three children in Maryland (each was born in a different town).

Fourth child born in PA (where we lived up until last summer).

Now we're in MS and love it.

As you can see, we have a bit of wanderlust, and we'd like to continue to nurture it. The best way to get to know an area is to live there for a couple of years. We'd love to live for a time in:

England

Ireland

Singapore

Seattle, Washington

northern Idaho

coastal Maine

Flagstaff, Arizona

Asheville, NC

New York City

I miss Baltimore's food, too.

My DH works for a company located in Cary, NC. Every few years they threaten to relocate us to Cary.

Have they told you what Cary stands for?

Containment area for relocated Yankees, or

Containment area for relocated yuppies.

Which one depends on who you ask.