Menu

Do you comb curly hair?

I never use a comb or brush or any other implement in my hair, other than my fingers/hands. I use lots of conditioner. I only rarely shampoo. I avoid ingredients that end in "cone" or "one" in my hair products- like silicone, dimethicone. I dry my hair with a t-shirt, never with teri-cloth.

OMG, I have become a hair snob.

I only comb my hair in the shower with conditioner on it. After you put any styling products on it and arrange it - LEAVE IT ALONE. The more you touch it, the more frizz you get. On occasion, later in the day if my hair has gotten fuzzy by being windblown or touched more, I will "freshen up" the curls by putting water on them for them to reset.

I'm hyperventilating.

NO COMB????

How do I live that way?

(And I thought I was asking a dumb question.)

I think it would depend on your curl. I comb (a very large toothed one) straight out of the shower, to help distribute product and help put my hair in place. Then I scrunch. I don't have tones of tight curls, but a mix of large curls and a few small ones to keep it interesting :glare:

I only comb my hair in the shower with conditioner on it. After you put any styling products on it and arrange it - LEAVE IT ALONE. The more you touch it, the more frizz you get. On occasion, later in the day if my hair has gotten fuzzy by being windblown or touched more, I will "freshen up" the curls by putting water on them for them to reset.

Oh, that makes sense.

I've got really thick hair, & it just ... became...*really* curly all of a sudden, so I don't know what I'm doing.

It's not that I *want* to use a comb. It's that I've never imagined *not* using one, & I can't understand what to do instead. I did notice that combing was conspicuously absent from the Curly Girl book but couldn't figure out if that was because you're supposed to continue as usual or nix it completely.

But...when I comb it, it looks...bad. When I don't...it's...matted together. But...in a kind-of pretty way?

I feel like I'm going out in public w/...well...uncombed hair, lol. And I've seen curly girls combing their hair on Jane Austen movies. Actually, brushing. And then not getting frizzy. Hmmm...maybe everything in the movies isn't true after all. :001_huh:

I bought a detangling comb today, but...I figured I'd ask you guys before I used it.

I'm like Mad Jenny - no implements except for my hands. But I've never heard about drying my hair with a t-shirt rather than a towel. Do the terry loops make curls more frizzy? I don't rub my hair, just squeeze the towel around it.

Always something new to learn in the world of curly....:D

So does that mean the whole head-wrap towel thing while you wait for your hair to dry is not a good idea?

Y'all, I'm doing so much wrong, I might be some kind of beautiful under all this mess! :lol:

AHHHHHH. You all are scaring me. My almost 3 year old has very curly hair. My hair is strait as a board so I have no clue how to take care of her hair. It looks great sometimes, and than other times she looks like a wild thing.

Sigh. I'm not fussy person who does hair, how can I ever teach her (or do it in the meantime)

My niece has mixed texture hair so she has to comb it or it gets matted. She combs it either in the shower or immediately after (while there is a lot of water in there) with a wide tooth comb. If you do comb, I think it is important not to stretch the hair, and thus get more frizz. She is very gentle when she combs, not just raking the comb through.

I do not regularly use a comb or brush. I only use conditioner and run my fingers through to distribute product. About twice a week I comb it out while wet to get rid of the loose hairs. I air dry my hair. I haven't used a blow dryer in years. My dh doesn't have enough hair to dry and I think the last time we had the dryer on was to dry a paint sample.

I will occasionally brush my hair out (scares my family, think Bride of Frankenstein) if I'm feeling like there is too much build up on it. I only do that right before I shower.

I've got very curly hair and I only comb right out of the shower with lots of conditioner. I only wash it twice a week. If it starts to get frizzy in between shampoos, I just wet it and put some leave-in conditioner in it.

My daughters are black (I am white. They are adopted), and I take them to have their hair braided by a very dear friend every other week. I tried to do their hair when they were little, but I got tired of very kind little old black ladies stopping me out in public and giving me hair advice. My girls must have looked awful.

I wrap my hair in a long -sleeved cotton t-shirt to dry instead of a towel-that seems to cut down on frizzy.

For combing, I use my finger while it's wet and run conditioner through it. If it needs to be recombed during the day, I use my finger. Or hang my head upside down and then flip up. Today is very windy and I went for a walk, so I may have to spray with water and conditioner mix and fluff with fingers.

My niece has mixed texture hair so she has to comb it or it gets matted. She combs it either in the shower or immediately after (while there is a lot of water in there) with a wide tooth comb. If you do comb, I think it is important not to stretch the hair, and thus get more frizz. She is very gentle when she combs, not just raking the comb through.

My hair is not curly, but it does tangle like crazy! I use a large tooth comb and either comb in the shower while it has conditioner in it, or, more often, let it air dry and then comb it (carefully). It definitely stretches and breaks my hair to try to comb it while wet. The only time I do that is if I need to go out right away, and then I usually blow dry it also--and then it frizzes. I always attributed the frizz to the blow dryer, but maybe it's also from stretching it?

Dd15 uses her fingers- she only combs the conditioner through her hair- daily in the shower- with a big wide toothed comb. She then lets it dry without further combing.

I use a wide toothed comb but dd always tells me it looks better (and it is curlier) if I dont comb it once it dries.

I grew up with straight hair and then suddenly at 17, after a short(er) haircut my hair grew back in curly. And I don't mean pretty curls. Their tight. I lose a good 4-5 inches of length when my hair is worn curly.

My daughter has pretty curls, not terribly tight.

My experience says only comb/brush it when it's wet, as in in the shower or right out of the shower wet.

If you want to blow dry, get a diffuser.

If you want your curls not so tight, use gel, it weighs down the curl.

If you want to pick up your curls, use mousse. Not too much or you will have that wet looking crunchy hair all day.

Personally, I hate MY curly hair. It's not for me. I straighten my hair. The above is just what I learned while I tolerated my curls or what I do with my daughter's hair.

Finger combing isn't enough for me. I read Curly Girl years ago...and it definitely set me on the right path, but I had to stray a little to find what works for me.

Nexxus Humectress conditioner (I get it at Costco--it's pricey but it takes about 3 months for me to get through a bottle)

Towel dry, but I squeeze it, I don't rub it (if that makes sense)

Brush it *immediately* after drying

Apply a leave-in conditioner (I use one by Redken, I've also used Frizz-Ease)

Finger curl

This routine gives me non-frizzy curls that stay intact for hours (as long as I leave them alone and don't go out in any crazy wind or drive with the window down).

It just takes trial and error...I *hated* my hair until I found Curly Girl!

I finger-comb my hair in the shower while it is full of conditioner, then I rinse some of the conditioner out, turn the water off, flip my head upside down and scrunch the curls, squeezing the water out. Then I get out and wrap hair in a t-shirt. After I dress I put in some gel, scrunching again.

I tried to do the no shampoo thing. I have seborrheic dermatitis and a very oily scalp. It didn't work. My head was itching and drove me insane, and I started breaking out around my hairline. I'm sure I was doing something wrong. I find that my hair looks great anyway though, with finger combing, plenty of conditioner, and t-shirt drying. When it gets messed up in the wind, or if I don't want to wash it in the morning, I wet my hands, rub a bit of conditioner into them, and re-scrunch my hair. It usually works like a charm.

My hair went from wavy to curly after I had a few children. Weird.

I'm reading Curly Girl w/ mixed results. Holy cow what a mess I'm in!

Curly Girl helped me figure out what to do with my hair, which went from straight to very wavy after kids. But I have to modify. I use a very mild shampoo, comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb, and rinse all the conditioner out. If I straighten my hair, I use some shine stuff on it. If I let it go curly, I add a very small amount of leave-in conditioner from the neck down, but not on the roots.

The Ouidad conditioning treatment is expensive, but fabulous. I went 6 months without getting my cut the last time. I happened to notice the Ouidad bottle sitting on my counter with a small bit of conditioner left in the bottom. I put it on my hair and left it in all day. When I got my hair cut a week or so later, my stylist said my hair was in better condition than when she cut it 6 months earlier. It was so soft! Ouidad also wrote a book about curly hair, Curl Talk

Edited by LizzyBee

Interesting! My daughter was born with curly hair and I've had no idea how to take care of it all this time. I do comb it when its web and if it starts to get dready -- which happens from just sleeping we do wet it again to comb it out.

Going to see if the library has this book.

I've got really thick hair, & it just ... became...*really* curly all of a sudden, so I don't know what I'm doing.

I had a neighbor whose hair became VERY curly while pregnant with #1, and then she wondered if it would straighten out with #2, but it stayed curly.

I feel like I'm going out in public w/...well...uncombed hair, lol. And I've seen curly girls combing their hair on Jane Austen movies. Actually, brushing. And then not getting frizzy. Hmmm...maybe everything in the movies isn't true after all. :001_huh:

Well, I always thought that it was curled straight hair, not curly hair.

I find curly hair does best with lots of moisture. The difference between curly hair in very humid climate and a very dry climate is shocking.

One of my girls has small, very tight curls; and the other has big, loose curls. I have always combed their hair when it was wet, right after the shower, and put some sort of frizz creme in it. I'll have to try the t-shirt and no-comb idea and see if their hair looks better.

Personally, I hate MY curly hair. It's not for me. I straighten my hair. The above is just what I learned while I tolerated my curls or what I do with my daughter's hair.

I'm 42 and I'm not sure I like my curly hair yet. My mother and sister both have it and it was horrible back when they made no products for curly hair. My sister threw a hairbrush at a mirror once and broke it. I quit fighting it about five years ago.

You've gotten lots of good advice so far. If you do wish/need to comb it, definitely use lots of conditioner and then rinse some, but not all of it out. After I have squeezed as much water out of my hair, I actually add more conditioner. Curls do love moisture! The weight of my daughter's hair has pulled most of her curls out, but I once saw a technique on a website (wish I could remember which one) showing how to dry curly hair that enhances the curls. Lay a t-shirt, or terry headwrap towel, or receiving blanket (or something similar) on counter/table/toilet. Bend forward and let your hair fall into the middle of the fabric. You are basically creating a nest of hair on top of your head and then secure the fabric/towel/whatever to keep it in place. The hair does not get twisted into the fabric, rather the fabric is holding a "pile" of your hair on top of your head. I am doing a horrible job of explaining this. I wish I could find the website, as she has videos and much better instructions than mine. Anyway, leave it alone and let it dry. It really does help to enhance the curls.

I'm 42 and I'm not sure I like my curly hair yet. My mother and sister both have it and it was horrible back when they made no products for curly hair. My sister threw a hairbrush at a mirror once and broke it. I quit fighting it about five years ago.

My Mom had hair that could only be described by saying Roseanne Roseannadanna. For years I watched her wash her hair once a week, set it in GIANT rollers, sit under the dryer, and then straighten her hair out. I think it was Saturday nights.

My curls would probably loosen up to a pretty point if I grew my hair, oh, down to my waist. Until then, I will continue to blow dry and straighten my hair avoiding the rain like the Wicked Witch of the West.

So what is the best conditioner to use for curls? I find them to be either to thin and almost slimy (where my hair is almost greasy when I get out of the shower!) or WAY to thick that my curls are droopy and well unattrative to boot!

If, like a lot of you are saying, I were to leave my conditioner in (even partially) I would have greasy looking hair by night. I like in a really dry climate too so its not like its because enviromentally there is too much extra moisture.

So what is the best conditioner to use for curls? I find them to be either to thin and almost slimy (where my hair is almost greasy when I get out of the shower!) or WAY to thick that my curls are droopy and well unattrative to boot!

If, like a lot of you are saying, I were to leave my conditioner in (even partially) I would have greasy looking hair by night. I like in a really dry climate too so its not like its because enviromentally there is too much extra moisture.

I can't use much product on my hair because it weighs my hair down so it looks limp and droopy. I use Revlon All Soft, which is a heavy thick conditioner, but I rinse it all out. For my hair, that works better than using a lighter conditioner and not rinsing it all out.

This website helped me a lot for both my hair and my dd's. It works for anyone with tightly curled hair. It's very thorough, even how to wear it at night so that it's not matted the next morning. This totally changed my way to do hair.

Explore the website and you will get tons of info about ingredients to use and not use in your products. Her story is really funny and she's even writing a book. I highly recommend this site.

Ava Menefee

This is me, my dd's hair is the same, only longer. This primer really made things manageable. My hair is so curly that if you pull it, it's halfway down my back.

post-2815-13535083050306_thumb.jpg

post-2815-13535083050306_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dani n Monies Mom

I had a neighbor whose hair became VERY curly while pregnant with #1, and then she wondered if it would straighten out with #2, but it stayed curly.
I had the opposite experience. My very curly hair didn't change at all during pregnancy, but after each birth it became straight as a stick. Then, about year later, the curl would slowly return.

I find curly hair does best with lots of moisture. The difference between curly hair in very humid climate and a very dry climate is shocking
I've known people who grew up in a dry climate, and were shocked to find that they had curly hair the first time they visited a humid location.

I spent the 70's blow drying my hair. I wanted a Farrah Fawcett look. Look at my avi; this hair does NOT feather.

I then wanted a Dorothy Hamill. This hair does not Dorothy Hamill either.

I still fought it in the 80's and 90's. After my divorce, I stopped fighting the curl but kept it short.

My husband, when we were dating, asked what it would be like if it were long.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my curls now. I am glad my dd has information and product for her inherited curls. She gets complimented every day on her hair.

I'm back to the old style Infusium spray and finger combs and happiest results.

I'm like Mad Jenny - no implements except for my hands. But I've never heard about drying my hair with a t-shirt rather than a towel. Do the terry loops make curls more frizzy? I don't rub my hair, just squeeze the towel around it.

Always something new to learn in the world of curly....:D

My daughters have curly hair of various thickness, and we don't comb. We brush. :001_huh: It seems to go against most advice, but we use a particular brush -- the Denman classic. I only brush when the hair is wet (we use a lot of detangling spray here). There are other, similar looking brushes on the market, but nothing beats the Denman. I even get panicky when the girls run off with it and it goes missing.

We have used these products, as well, but it's been a while since I ran out. Right now, I am using this product after I brush out tangles for curl definition (it's not something I apply every day, though), and then I leave the hair alone! No touching or messing with it at all, other than to put a clip or barrette in the front. :001_smile:

I spent the 70's blow drying my hair. I wanted a Farrah Fawcett look. Look at my avi; this hair does NOT feather.

I then wanted a Dorothy Hamill. This hair does not Dorothy Hamill either.

I still fought it in the 80's and 90's. After my divorce, I stopped fighting the curl but kept it short.

My husband, when we were dating, asked what it would be like if it were long.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my curls now. I am glad my dd has information and product for her inherited curls. She gets complimented every day on her hair.

Yup, I wanted the feathers too. I used to keep it shorter and the curls were tight, I felt like a Q-tip. I ended up living in hot rollers in the 80s.

My hair is not curly, but it does tangle like crazy! I use a large tooth comb and either comb in the shower while it has conditioner in it, or, more often, let it air dry and then comb it (carefully). It definitely stretches and breaks my hair to try to comb it while wet. The only time I do that is if I need to go out right away, and then I usually blow dry it also--and then it frizzes. I always attributed the frizz to the blow dryer, but maybe it's also from stretching it?

I have thick long hair down half-way to my back. It frizzes like crazy and has a curly wave to it. For my sanity, I only brush it once a week to get rid of "knots" and put it up in a bun. I can't stand to do long hair styles because it easily tangles and is impossible to deal with as it frizzes once I use a brush. I'm learning some ideas here! Thanx! :D

I have thick long hair down half-way to my back. It frizzes like crazy and has a curly wave to it. For my sanity, I only brush it once a week to get rid of "knots" and put it up in a bun. I can't stand to do long hair styles because it easily tangles and is impossible to deal with as it frizzes once I use a brush. I'm learning some ideas here! Thanx! :D

Mine is to my knees when it's wet. ALWAYS up in a bun. (I heart hair sticks) Once, I decided to leave it down and go to co-op: it got caught in the door (which I had to unlock before I could pull it out), in a bush, in the car window... Ack!

I brush before I get in the shower, to get rid of any loose hairs, and the only "product" I use is coconut oil. It seems to encourage the curls, and they don't get crunchy. (Or, for that matter, particularly oily)