Menu

If the balloon boy's parents are guilty of a hoax...

What do you think the proper punishment should be? Should they be prosecuted, and on what charges? Should they pay the costs of the "rescue" and/or additional fines?

Is it bad enough that their kids should be removed from the home for their own safety?

I *just* posted a similar sentiment on my Facebook page!! Personally, I think repaying any costs for the search and rescue is a no-brainer. I alsothink they should be investigated by CPS. I can't say that they kids should be removed, but I think an investigation is reasonable. If any criminal charges apply, they should be imposed, but I'm not sure what they might be.

I hope whoever decides that doesn't base it solely on what one young child said. I mean come on. As far as I can tell that is all anyone has to go on in terms of whether or not they were in on some hoax.

That's true, but there are more clues even just in that video than what the child said. The behavior of the parents following his comment were also very telling. I'm sure that the police will be looking into all aspects of the case, not just at this one comment.

I hope whoever decides that doesn't base it solely on what one young child said. I mean come on. As far as I can tell that is all anyone has to go on in terms of whether or not they were in on some hoax.

No, I wouldn't want them to go on that alone either. I'm curious what people think should be done IF they are guilty.

Another question. If they aren't proven guilty, either because they aren't or because it can't be proven, should they still have to pay the costs of the attempted rescue?

Okay did I miss something? What hoax? And what are they to be guilty of? And why on earth would cps need to get involved. And geeeeeeezzzz, what's with people and cps. When did they all of a sudden become some savior for the people? What on earth would this country do without our almighty government rushing in to save the day? I wonder sometimes, how on earth did our ancestors manage.

I really don't see a way to prove it unless someone has on tape one of the adults letting the balloon off from the ground. A 6 yr old says some strange things. He could have just been confused, but the parents behavior was odd after that comment.

Then after seeing that one clip with the 6 yr old saying it was for a show, I watched all of their utube videos and it was quite revealing. The wife swap stuff was really eye opening.

I think if there was irrefutable proof then yes they should have to be responsible for the time, cost, and panic it caused. However, proof can't be what a 6 yr old says. Of course, they are being tried in the jury of the media and it can definitely get biased and slanted. I think there is more to the story but whether it is a complete hoax planned by the parents...I am not sure.

This is the latest:

The Larimer County Sheriff's Office just held a press conference on the Heene family's flying saucer caper -- and they said, as of now, they feel it was a "real event" and not a hoax.

Sheriff Jim Alderdon said Falcon's parents "expressed statements, non verbal communication, body language, and emotions that were consistent with the events taking place."

He confirmed Richard Heene called the FAA first, then a local TV station before calling 911 -- because 9 News had a helicopter they believed could help the situation.

Also interesting to note -- Falcon's parents were asked if they wanted to be present when investigators interviewed him yesterday, but they didn't care, so he went solo.

Alderdon said the video of Falcon from Larry King has raised skepticism in the department and they will re-interview the family tomorrow

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0U861HNRQ

So it is possible the situation was real, and now they are just milking it since they love the spot light.

I don't know if they are "CPS worthy" but certainly can't win any parent of the year awards for teaching their kids certain words and how to use their middle finger. Sad situation, imo.

If there is a hoax involved, they should be prosecuted.

I have a hard time agreeing with making someone reimburse for rescue stuff without being proved guilty in a court of law because I think it will prevent someone from calling for help for fear of their child or loved one is found safe they will be hit with charges they can't afford.

If, however, they are found guilty, they should reimburse some of that money. But, I honestly don't think it was a hoax. But, I've been wrong before!

The officer that spoke today said he is the one who said that, and he was mistaken, that it was not the fault of the parents.

Wow.

It is interesting that there is so much video coverage of the before and after events. The whole thing is just crazy.

Glad that the boy is safe, it really drove me nuts thinking of what might of happened to him.

While there is always a part of me that gives the benefit of the doubt to people...and I certainly have to reserve judgement since I don't know all the facts...I find it odd that any parent would call a TV station BEFORE 911 in this kind of event. Even if I thought the news team had a helicopter and could "help", I would reason that a news team couldn't do the rescuing. My gut instinct...after screaming incoherently, would be to call 911 first.

And 6 year olds do say odd things. It is even possible that the 6 year old is trying to weasel out of trouble by saying it is for the "show". But the more likely explanation, considering his age, is that the truth was blurted out. I would never want to try to construct an elaborate hoax and depend on a 6 year old to keep the facts straight! lol

I am still unsure of whether or not we will ever truly "know" the facts. Unless they can PROVE that it was deliberate, I can't see them charging them with the cost of the rescue. Even though my gut instinct is that there is more than a few things fishy about this story.

Susu

What do you think the proper punishment should be? Should they be prosecuted, and on what charges? Should they pay the costs of the "rescue" and/or additional fines?

Is it bad enough that their kids should be removed from the home for their own safety?

I definitely think they should be paying for the "rescue" fees. Our local police and fire department will charge the parents if their kids make repeated 911 calls as pranks......this "rescue" was obviously much larger in scope and the cost to the taxpayers is going to be extremely high. So, yeah, if they lied they should pay.

I have mixed feelings about the kids.....yes, the father certainly is a poor example of a parent for three young boys, but if you took away all the kids from all the parents who have made a lot of bad judgments or choices, well, we wouldn't have enough land to build enough orphanages. It made me feel the need for a "bucket" watching that poor boy vomit over his obvious guilt about his part in the lie. But even more sickening was watching, and then listening when the camera finally moved back to Meredith was the Dad only looking a little uncomfortable about the boy vomiting beside him, but kept going with the interview and then his comment about "take him away". Sorry, but I'd have told Meredith I had to stop right now, go take care of the boy and then come back. Instead Dad is now in the limelight and talking a mile a minute, certainly outwardly not showing much concern about his son. Relishing his limelight actually. Then later when the same topic arises, was it a lie....the kid gets sick again. Hmmmm, it shouldn't take a detective to figure out that something's not right. I'm amazed that the Sheriff seems to be beliving them still.....unless that is so that they can appear sympathic towards the family until they can get the Dad in for more questioning. But I'm not quite understanding why that questioning didn't happen last night....no reason to be putting it off and letting Dad come up with more lame excuses. I don't get the logic, even considering a 6 year olds logic, about the boy showing his hiding place to reporters as being "the show" the kid was talking about.

I do however think that the law should be enforced for the fraud that has happened. If the parents don't have a criminal history this could result in just fines and probation.....if either have criminal history there is a possibility of jail time. That's not going to do the kids any good to have one or both parents in jail, but then again, letting the parents get away with such a trick isn't going to be positive for impressionable young boys. It sounds like this family isn't your most upstanding as it is, letting them get away with such a thing is going to leave the boys to believe that if you are clever enough.......

If there is a hoax involved, they should be prosecuted.

I have a hard time agreeing with making someone reimburse for rescue stuff without being proved guilty in a court of law because I think it will prevent someone from calling for help for fear of their child or loved one is found safe they will be hit with charges they can't afford.

If, however, they are found guilty, they should reimburse some of that money. But, I honestly don't think it was a hoax. But, I've been wrong before!

I respectfully disagree with your reasoning.....I most certainly couldn't afford to pay for a police department to be out searching for my lost child (not even considering the costs for the FAA, National Guard, etc)....but I would never hesitate to call the police to potentially save my child's life....I'll figure out the finances later. Honestly, I doubt that finances would even enter my thought process if my child were missing....my attention would be on getting help finding them. I feel the same way about medical....I would never in a million years withhold medical care because I couldn't afford it.....save my child (or my husabnd, or even myself) and then I'll figure out how to pay for it.

They don't make you pay for a rescue that isn't needed if it's just a mistake, they don't even make you pay when it's because you had poor judgment, otherwise the idiots who climb our local mountains with a single bottle of water in 100+ degree weather and have to be rescued/air lifted out would all be very poor right now.....or the idiots who try to drive across rushing washes in a storm and get their vehicle stuck would have to pay for the rescue teams that risk THEIR live to save you. But they don't.......it's the lie part that makes you financially liable.

As for convicting this family on the statement of one little boy, no, that's not right either.....but if you watch all the different statements made by the Dad you'll see that he changes significant parts of his story. Liars tend to have a hard time keeping their stories straight. I don't know that the police will have enough solid evidence to prove it in a court of law....but the public eyes have seen a lot of conflicting stories. No I don't believe that the public always has the whole story....but we have enough pieces of VIDEO which prove damaging to the family's version of the story. Print stories are different because you can blame bad/distorted reporting, but video where Dad says he was inside when the balloon went up, and then later he wasn't....ummm, so which was it? And several other little things that by themselves may not be any big deal......but added together they make very heavy circumstantial evidence. Again, not necessarily enough to convict crimimally because circumstantial evidence is weighed different in a criminal case, but it's not looking good outside a criminal case. That family is just lucky that none of the rescuers were injured....because in a civil case, that circumstantial evidence would very likely be enough for a personal injury case against the family due to fraud. (Think OJ Simpson.....not enough to criminally convict him, but the civil conviction was much easier to prove and win).

The police will be able to collect lots of data by recording all of the family's news interviews.

Very true....perhaps the Sheriff knew this family well enough to know that they'll be hitting all the major news shows and media and they're just bidding their time to wait for the family to hang themselves, lol. As always the timing of these things move so swiftly that it's hard to judge it from this side of the TV, lol. It was obvious that the Sheriff had a reason for "agreeing" with the family and you may have hit the nail on the head here. Let the family do their own hanging.

I just watched that video again and my heart still aches for that little boy.....his guilt must be huge.

I saw that boy vomiting on the Today show this morning while I was trying to find the weather channel. I thought that the parents behavior was bad about that. Then I have found out that they had done an even earlier recording for GMA where the kid was vomiting. I am sorry, but what kind of parent puts their obviously sick kid in front of cameras to vomit in front of millions? I am not calling for the parents to have their children taken away but some supervision or counseling may be called for. That father seems to be such a publicity hound that he puts his kids at risk.

Have you seen this:

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv.tvguide.com/tlc-turned-down-heene-family-reality-show-pitch-20091016

Apparently the family pitched an idea for a "reality" show on their lives but was turned down a few months ago.

Hmmmm, perhaps if they were in the news then they'd be more appealing to the TV folks? After all Jon & Kate is now cancelled, lol....the airwaves need another wacky family to fill in.

The sad thing is that some station somewhere is gonna think they're gold because of the publicity (think octo mom) regardless of whether it's for the right reasons. Ugh.....there are few enough decent shows to watch.

Have you seen this:

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv.tvguide.com/tlc-turned-down-heene-family-reality-show-pitch-20091016

Apparently the family pitched an idea for a "reality" show on their lives but was turned down a few months ago.

Hmmmm, perhaps if they were in the news then they'd be more appealing to the TV folks? After all Jon & Kate is now cancelled, lol....the airwaves need another wacky family to fill in.

The sad thing is that some station somewhere is gonna think they're gold because of the publicity (think octo mom) regardless of whether it's for the right reasons. Ugh.....there are few enough decent shows to watch.

I think the sheriff is probably in a better position to determine whether it was a hoax than the viewing public. But if it was a hoax, I think they should have to pay for the rescue costs.

I am thrilled to hear that Jon and Kate have finally been cancelled. :D

IF it's a hoax, the charges depend on the laws in that jurisdiction, but certainly filing a false report would be a likely charge. And yes, if it was a hoax, they should pay.

If it was a hoax, there never was a safety issue. The kids will need to go somewhere if both parents go to jail, but kids aren't automatically taken away if a parent commits a crime. If it wasn't a hoax, there doesn't appear to be negligence, just an accident. Why should the kids be removed from the home?

unlikely that this event was anything remotely like a hoax. A curious comment made on a television show by a 6yo is just that: a curious comment. I cannot tell you how many crazy and completely inexplicable things have come out of the mouths of my kids at that age. I would hate to think that inopportune timing could wreak further havoc on this family.

I also happen to think that this famliy is quite skilled at drumming up their own excitement. Most folks don't have equipment in their backyards that would allow a child to perform quite such spectacular mischief. Their parenting "style" leaves much to be desired, IMO. But let them be judged on those things if they are to be judged at all; not on the adrenaline-laden decisions made in the immediate aftermath of panic at the anticipation of something truly awful happening to one of their children.

unlikely that this event was anything remotely like a hoax. A curious comment made on a television show by a 6yo is just that: a curious comment. I cannot tell you how many crazy and completely inexplicable things have come out of the mouths of my kids at that age. I would hate to think that inopportune timing could wreak further havoc on this family.

QUOTE]

:iagree: I've got one who was like that at that age as well--particularly if he was being questioned by an adult and felt the need to answer. This child was questioned on national TV about why he hid. That could well sound like an accusation & he put it on Dad's authority. Or he could have not actually known why he hid and didn't answer and so came up with something. They were on a show at the time. After he was found, he was asked to show media his hiding place in the garage. I can totally see a wacky comment happening from my son at that age in those circumstances.

I just dont understand what 6 year old could possibly hide for 5 hours? Sure, they say he fell asleep. I know my kid would never do that. She's five years old. Five hours of hiding would be an eternity to a child that young. And my kid certainly would not fall asleep while hiding....she's past the age of falling asleep anywhere other than the bed unless it is late at night and we are out for some reason. Hiding for five hours just seems far fetched to me.

That's true, but there are more clues even just in that video than what the child said. The behavior of the parents following his comment were also very telling. I'm sure that the police will be looking into all aspects of the case, not just at this one comment.

That's interesting. What did you think was telling? I'm curious. They looked confused to me.

I looked at it a several times and didn't see what I would have anticipated seeing if the parents had coached him as part of a hoax. To me the most telling thing I didn't see was a reaction from the older brothers. They were just kind of sitting there. I would have expected if younger bro had spilled the beans to see some kind of reaction from the siblings. Also, I would have expected to see a reaction from the father (you could see him best) and the mother that indicated anger as the kid is screwing up: some clenching of muscles in the jaw, hand, etc.

I respectfully disagree with your reasoning.....I most certainly couldn't afford to pay for a police department to be out searching for my lost child (not even considering the costs for the FAA, National Guard, etc)....but I would never hesitate to call the police to potentially save my child's life....I'll figure out the finances later. Honestly, I doubt that finances would even enter my thought process if my child were missing....my attention would be on getting help finding them. I feel the same way about medical....I would never in a million years withhold medical care because I couldn't afford it.....save my child (or my husabnd, or even myself) and then I'll figure out how to pay for it.

Yes, a lot of people would react as you would but it's not the way everyone would reason. I think Dayle has a very good point. At the very least, it could delay the call if someone was not sure what had happened. Would the average parent spend more time looking if a child was lost before calling 911 to avoid a bank-breaking payment if their child was hiding, had gone to a neighbor's, etc? Time that could be precious if something had truly happened to the child? I think so.

QUOTE]

:iagree: I've got one who was like that at that age as well--particularly if he was being questioned by an adult and felt the need to answer. This child was questioned on national TV about why he hid. That could well sound like an accusation & he put it on Dad's authority. Or he could have not actually known why he hid and didn't answer and so came up with something. They were on a show at the time. After he was found, he was asked to show media his hiding place in the garage. I can totally see a wacky comment happening from my son at that age in those circumstances.

:iagree:I don't think this was a hoax.....and I would hate to condemn my own friends and neighbors based on things their kids say.

Who knows what question the boy was actually answering....he wasn't even paying attention to the questioner....

I refuse to be a part of the mob.

I just dont understand what 6 year old could possibly hide for 5 hours? Sure, they say he fell asleep. I know my kid would never do that. She's five years old. Five hours of hiding would be an eternity to a child that young. And my kid certainly would not fall asleep while hiding....she's past the age of falling asleep anywhere other than the bed unless it is late at night and we are out for some reason. Hiding for five hours just seems far fetched to me.

:) Having been part of a local "search party" that tore apart a house and it's surrounding acre only to find a kid asleep behind a shelf, it's totally believable to me. Additionally, my little brother once crawled into a cabinet to hide while we were playing. My dad had been studying and thought we were in another area of the house, with that child napping in his bed. When my mom came home from work she tried to account for us all to no avail. It was at least three hours before he was found, not five feet from where my dad had been sitting.

If a child were to hide, freaking out at getting in trouble for letting his dad's pet project loose when he'd been told not to touch it (and had gotten in trouble earlier in the day for something else), I can see how as the adrenaline abated he simply dropped off. It's not an uncommon response to stress.

Hope the above makes sense.

Ironically the only "Wife Swap" I have ever watched happened to be the one this guy was on. I recognized the family immediately b/c of how absolutely zany they were . The guy was a nut and he was just screaming at the poor woman who got placed with him. He appeared to be very abusive. I think his wife is totally controlled by him. It's all very odd. It's clear this guy is all about attention . He has tried to get different networks to make a reality tv show out of their life. He has a youtube channel. In general this guy has a screw loose somewhere . If you saw the interview of them with the son vomiting off camera....talk about uncomfortable to watch. I cannot believe they did not stop the interview!!! I don't even udnerstand what the network was thinking continuing an interview with a child vomiting in the background .

All I can say is that CPS is going to be investigating them.

I'm also very shocked that TLC did not immediately pick them up for a series. They're hanging on to the Gosselins for dear life. They seem to thrive on showcasing crumbling family units. I would have thought they would have signed this family before the UFO could land.

:) Having been part of a local "search party" that tore apart a house and it's surrounding acre only to find a kid asleep behind a shelf, it's totally believable to me. Additionally, my little brother once crawled into a cabinet to hide while we were playing. My dad had been studying and thought we were in another area of the house, with that child napping in his bed. When my mom came home from work she tried to account for us all to no avail. It was at least three hours before he was found, not five feet from where my dad had been sitting.

If a child were to hide, freaking out at getting in trouble for letting his dad's pet project loose when he'd been told not to touch it (and had gotten in trouble earlier in the day for something else), I can see how as the adrenaline abated he simply dropped off. It's not an uncommon response to stress.

I definitely think a six year old could hide that well for that long.

However, I was convinced this was a hoax from the moment I heard "wife swap". Really, what are the chances?

I don't know who'd let their 6-y-o get interviewed by the media after such a traumatic event, period. I'd be beating the press off my yard with a stick.

I mean, he got so upset, he VOMITED!!!! What kind of parent DOES that to a kid???????????

(Then again, I wouldn't make a homemade weather balloon, either....)

Edited by Reya

That's interesting. What did you think was telling? I'm curious. They looked confused to me.

I looked at it a several times and didn't see what I would have anticipated seeing if the parents had coached him as part of a hoax. To me the most telling thing I didn't see was a reaction from the older brothers. They were just kind of sitting there. I would have expected if younger bro had spilled the beans to see some kind of reaction from the siblings. Also, I would have expected to see a reaction from the father (you could see him best) and the mother that indicated anger as the kid is screwing up: some clenching of muscles in the jaw, hand, etc.

What seemed peculiar to me was the father's reaction.."Man.." sighing, then seeming very uncomfortable and awkward, and rambling on about things that seemed to have nothing to do with the boy's answer or even related to the question. There could have been any number of responses that would have seemed more normal-- asking the child what he meant if he didn't know, or if he did understand, explaining it to the interviewer, etc. I just felt that the man's demeanor totally changed when the boy said that, like it took all the air out of the room. It is interesting that the other boys didn't react. I would have thought that they would have been unable to control that. On the other hand they didn't seem completely tuned in during the interview, either, so maybe it slipped past them, or else maybe since they were older, they were able to keep a straight face and just keep quiet. I don't know for sure, of course, but I would think that in interviews with the family and looking at various videotapes, police will be able to tell whether or not this was a hoax. While this videotape obviously has made them look more closely at the family, I'm sure that the conclusion will not be based solely on what the boy said.

Yes, a lot of people would react as you would but it's not the way everyone would reason. I think Dayle has a very good point. At the very least, it could delay the call if someone was not sure what had happened. Would the average parent spend more time looking if a child was lost before calling 911 to avoid a bank-breaking payment if their child was hiding, had gone to a neighbor's, etc? Time that could be precious if something had truly happened to the child? I think so.

:iagree: And often, it's denial, thinking "the worst" could not possibly have happened, not concern about the money.

Except that he didn't let the balloon go, his father did as we see in the video someone posted from the Today show. I was so distraught when I heard this on the radio... they kept breaking in and giving updates and I was teary eyed and so upset. And then to find out they called a TV station before 911? That's not just unusual, that's twisted. Didn't they call out the National Guard? That's kind of a big expense. I hope for their sakes it isn't a hoax.

Margaret

I think if they are not proven guilty....then no they shouldn't have to pay....isn't that what 'rescue' is for? But if they are proven guilty....they should pay for 'all the rescue' that came to their aid.

:iagree:

but I'm a little perplexed by Heene's comment that "safety is first" when they're chasing hurricanes. Um...safety and chasing hurricanes doesn't really mix in my book. Then again, some would probably feel the same about my family when the lot is shooting our guns. I have a hard time with the line of child endangerment and child-rearing rights in this case.

Still, I did find him to be a bit off the mark via his temper and the decision to sit with 3 children, clearly exhausted and ill children, to do an interview. You want to talk, ok. Your wife, too, ok. But sleeping and vomiting kids on camera...poor judgement. Seems like a lot of poor judgement.

Why would such a balloon be so easily accessible to children in the first place?

Why didn't anyone, including the Sheriff's office, search the attic?

Why didn't he call 911 first?

Why would he teach his children to be so brash (youtube videos).

I can't say I parent perfectly, but I can't help but wonder how these boys are going to turn out. I find the dude a little wack-a-doo.

I just watched a couple of the videos, and one thing I noticed- Meredith asked if this was a hoax, and he replied that he is not marketing anything, but shortly before?, it was mentioned that he hoped to market these for people to travel place to place? So it *looks* as if he really is hoping to have something to market at some future date, and what better way to become known for this 'idea'. I think the kid spilled the beans. 'You guys said, this was for the show'..

I think it all screams *hoax* IMO.

Definitely- on the letting the kid sit there and puke on a TV interview, they also have hideous judgement, and it looks like all the way around.

You know, I'm *glad* these people will have to account for pulling a hoax. I was terrified while the balloon was up in the air, and I prayed hard for the little boy. Now that the dad's hoax is unravelling, I'm angry that he played on our emotions for his own publicity -- not to mention the inconvenience and expense he caused the emergency workers who were trying so desperately to save the child's life.

Criminal charges are now pending against one or both parents, and the mother left the home today with a deputy and a victim's advocate.

I'm happy to hear this. In addition to all the time and costs involved in the rescue, delayed flights, etc. I read that the balloon caused major damage to the wheat field it landed it, destroying a farmers income.

Very bizarre story (behavior) and what a sad situation for the kids.