Menu

Lower standards in homeschooling

Along the lines of the other thread about this, tell me, what do you say to your homeschooling friends who are doing so much less . . . the same history book for the 3rd year, or elementary math with the highschooler (to cover all the basics), or the high schoolers who have never written as much as a paragraph. (And I am not talking about learning disabilities here.) The ones who are happy to give home ec credit for cooking dinner and doing laundry and not pushing their girls because they just want them to be wives? The ones who don't push their sons because they were never "good at math or science anyway."

There are so very few people I can talk to about homeschooling anymore. My definition is not the same as theirs. It's funny that over the years, my homeschooling friends are still my friends, but we talk less and less about homeschooling.

What do you say when they call you the overachiever? :glare:

Joan

I've been fortunate as I've never really met anyone like this. I've met people who didn't homeschool the same way I do. I wouldn't use their methods but I've never really met a homeschool family who was doing nothing but pretending to educate their children.

But my disclaimer is that our homeschool social group NEVER talks about curriculum or what everyone is using. The only place I can go where people actually talk about what they are teaching is online. I suppose they all avoid it because it can become some a hot topic.

I like this perspective. http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/2009/10/from-worth-repeating-files-when-other.html

I think it's a better use of my time to worry about what I'm doing. The older I get the more I realize that unless someone specifically asks for my advice, they probably don't want it.

As for them calling you an overachiever...take it as a compliment and say, "Thank you!" :D

I've never been called an overachiever or looked down on in any way for having more rigorous standards than most of my homeschooling friends. But I am definitely in the minority (in having tough standards). Basically, I have come to a place where I've had to accept that our homeschool group is for friendships, not really for homeschooling. I have backed out of more and more activities as I've come to realize that I'm the only one there with certain expectations of outcome and, frankly, the behavior of the children. If they think I'm uptight and cranky, they haven't let on! :D

I too have been blessed not to come across anyone with low standards like that. I know of one family that uses what I thought was a pretty juvenile history program for her high schooler but learned she supplemented it with lots of research and writing assignments. Yesterday was co-op day and I discussed the new EPA regulations with a 5th grader. She was more up to date than I was.

Also I knew there was some risque language in our Shakespeare class (we are doing Henry V) but wasn't worried because it was in French. Almost all of the students had taken French and knew what body part Katherine was referring to.

If I ran across someone I don't think I would correct them.

I think this is why homeschooling gets such a bad rap from those that don't know any better. There are so many that don't do any real teaching with their kids. I have a hard time talking with other mom's at the co-op b/c their replies and answers to my very real questions about math are met with just go buy a big grade __ book from Walmart.

There are those that think a gigantic grade 5 curriculum book from the walmart is as good an education as a year of school. Often giving their children free reign as to grab the book whenever and go through 20 pages of spelling and then a week or 2 later go through 20 pages of math. That isn't teaching. That is something you do in the summer in between grades.

I just brought my kids home this year and have been surprised and shocked at what is considered homeschooling.

I've never been called an overachiever or looked down on in any way for having more rigorous standards than most of my homeschooling friends. But I am definitely in the minority (in having tough standards). Basically, I have come to a place where I've had to accept that our homeschool group is for friendships, not really for homeschooling. I have backed out of more and more activities as I've come to realize that I'm the only one there with certain expectations of outcome and, frankly, the behavior of the children. If they think I'm uptight and cranky, they haven't let on! :D

Although there was this one time when a mom called me about wanting to set up a play group at 10:00 AM on a school day, and then something similar a couple of days later. I declined the invitation, saying that it would interfere with our school schedule, and the other mom just laughed and said, "Oh, I just count every day as a school day, no matter what we do that day. I mean, kids learn something every day, right?"

We pretty much quit doing anything with our homeschool group for a few years because the only activities they wanted to set up were morning playdates, and lunch at the park, etc.

But if I do, I frame in terms of what I do and why I do it, not getting defensive, but sort of cheerfully stating it and then changing the subject. I am not naturally a gushy person, but I can gush if necessary, and when changing subjects it is necessary.

So, like this (and smiling hard):

"I really want DD to have her options stay open--to be able to be whatever she wants down the road. So I have to work with her to stay on track, to keep up with everything so that she has an excellent general education. I know she'd love to skip math, LOL, but that closes so many doors, doesn't it. Did you hear the latest about the tsunami in Samoa? Isn't it sad?"

No one can go back to homeschooling critique once a natural disaster has been introduced into the conversation. And I really, truly, genuinely care about the natural disaster and its relief; I'm not just using that subject as a ploy. Chances are that the conversation would next go to where the nearest Samoan Assemblies of God church is collecting blankets--a far more worthy conversation, on any level, than the alternative subject.

I've not been called anything except "overly organized" to my face, but I have a suspicion others think I ask too much of my kids, or push them too much, or have them in too many different activities... some variation of those themes.

A few months ago, I was at a park day and three or four of the other moms started talking about how "people that use curriculum" make them feel kind of crazy, and they wonder how curriculum-users have time to do the curriculum without making their kids miss out on playtime. I just sat there and mentally rolled my eyes. My kid was out there on the playground playing, just like theirs... except we'd done math, grammar, and more before showing up at the park.

I really, really try not to judge their reasons and I would not want mine judged. I hang on to the fact that, these are MY kids and I know what's best for them, the same goes both ways. Sometimes, people are pulling their kids out, and take some time off to help them decompress. Some have learning issues, emotional issues, and physical issues. I stay away form curriculum conversations with people that have such a different philosophy, I stay on topics like, weather, cooking and directions:001_smile:

I was asked to tutor a 12yog last year, which I did. She was very self-motivated, and wanted to study Latin, French, and German. Her mom works two jobs, and her dad works part-time, so he is the homeschooling parent. The poor girl told me that her dad doesn't really teach her; instead, he plays on his computer all day, and has her teach math to her 7yo sister so he can keep an eye on her 2 preschool siblings. She loves to read, and is reading lots of good books on her own, but is at least a year behind in math, and for science, she reads in an old science textbook that she's had for about 3 years. I doubt she's doing any writing at all, and certainly not any grammar. I was paid to teach her beginning Latin, and she didn't even know what a verb and a noun were, so I had to teach a few English grammar basics so she would even be able to understand what I was talking about. And she was a 7th grader! Sad. But unfortunately, there are MANY homeschoolers in my area that approach their kids' education that way.

We pretty much quit doing anything with our homeschool group for a few years because the only activities they wanted to set up were morning playdates, and lunch at the park, etc.

Yeah, another thing that makes me different from most (not all) of the people in my group is that I have only one child, who is soon to be 10. Most of the group consists of younger kids, including a large number of preschoolers and infants. So the moms are just on a completely different schedule than I am! They want morning activities, and afternoon naps. For me, 9am to 2pm is set aside for school (because if anything happens in the morning besides school, school has a way of not happening at all!). So I want afternoon activities. I guess that's why most of our activities lately consist of Girl Scouts and Taekwondo and have nothing to do with our homeschool group.

What do you say when they call you the overachiever?

I say, "Thank you!" as though it's a compliment. To my mind, it is, regardless of the speaker's intent.

I do have a friend who does not teach her children. She used to call what she did (didn't do) "unschooling" but has recently admitted that she just isn't teaching her children.

Unless she asks a specific question about our homeschool, I don't talk about homeschooling with her. At all. I have very strong feelings about the whole issue, and have exhausted my repertoire of kind and helpful things to say that are also honest.

Cat

I've not been called anything except "overly organized" to my face, but I have a suspicion others think I ask too much of my kids, or push them too much, or have them in too many different activities... some variation of those themes.

A few months ago, I was at a park day and three or four of the other moms started talking about how "people that use curriculum" make them feel kind of crazy, and they wonder how curriculum-users have time to do the curriculum without making their kids miss out on playtime. I just sat there and mentally rolled my eyes. My kid was out there on the playground playing, just like theirs... except we'd done math, grammar, and more before showing up at the park.

Yes, I don't understand why they think curriculum-users don't have playtime. We have a (I think) fairly rigorous curriculum, encompassing all the subjects one would need, except foreign language, which we're starting next year, and art, because I need to figure out the best way to teach it to my art-impaired darling son. We get started at around 9:30, break for lunch, and are always done by 2, no matter how heavy a day it is, unless Captain Science decides he must dawdle for hours.

I haven't said it to me, but I had it said about me by a more laissez faire homeschooler that she thought eventually I'd just "toss out the books and say, 'let's go learn something!'" as though one can't learn anything from books. *boggles*

I've had some fun poked at my unwillingness to 'skip' school. We don't skip.

What I hear the most is, "well, they're learning more than they'd learn as school, anyway, so anything I'm able to get done is better." I bite my tongue hard at that one, because I KNOW that is not true of the schools nearby -- not at all. The schools around my area certainly are not perfect, but the kids are taught and they are working during the school day.

I never comment, however, and try to regulate my critical thoughts. The older I get, the more I realize that I just do not know what is going on with others.

And, for me, pride has gone before a fall often enough. ;)

I honestly don't know any like that. The homeschoolers we know tend to take at least a somewhat serious attitude toward academics; some take a very serious attitude. Even the unschoolers I know have children that are functioning at what I would term an average ability level. I know more high performers than low performers. My sons have several friends that are in ps, so I do have something to compare to.

Although there was this one time when a mom called me about wanting to set up a play group at 10:00 AM on a school day, and then something similar a couple of days later. I declined the invitation, saying that it would interfere with our school schedule, and the other mom just laughed and said, "Oh, I just count every day as a school day, no matter what we do that day. I mean, kids learn something every day, right?"

I go out in the mornings because I don't drive, and walking outside in midday heat with a cranky, tired toddler is not fun. My husband and I are morning people, we all get tired when it gets dark. The sun sets here at about 6:45. Walking home in the dark after an evening event, in order to beg the children to stay awake long enough to eat some Raman noodles and get in bed isn't our idea of a good time either. It's Go-Out-in-the-Morning-or-Bust.

My oldest is 6 and we don't 'do school' for long each day. That means we can do lessons and still get out of the house in the morning. We do lessons year round and sometimes 6 days a week, so taking a day off to go to the park is no big deal to us.

All the home schoolers I currently associate with are doing their level best by their kids.

In the past I knew two families that did not home school successfully. The mothers wanted to homeschool, but lacked follow through. In both cases, the children went to public school after it became patently obvious to their fathers that no education was occurring.

Some of the kids in our co-op are autistic, some have been subjected to years of substandard education in our local public schools, others are ADD or ADHD. Most of the kids are very bright. Some of them are academically gifted. When I take each family's circumstances into account, I find I can fault no one.

Those of us who have reasonably healthy, bright, easy going kids should thank our lucky stars. If we're comfortable on one income, we should be doubly thankful. Some people have more on their plate than others.

Edited by Elizabeth Conley

The ones who are happy to give home ec credit for cooking dinner and doing laundry and not pushing their girls because they just want them to be wives?

I actually do know a family that is consciously raising their daughter to be a stay-at-home wife/mother/homeschooler and have already said that she is not going to college.

:blink:

I feel bad for her. What if Prince Charming never comes?

Of course, they're also homeschooling college for their son. (College Plus, I think?) So, there you go.

I'm really struggling with this at the moment. Our local group is pretty much unschoolers, but there are a couple that I personally think come closer to none-schoolers (and that's no insult against unschoolers, I understand well that it can be a very effective way of educating) I was really shocked at the level of work their kids are doing and the excuses used. One woman told me her DD only wanted to be a realtor, then I overheard the DD telling someone she wanted to be in the airforce. Well there's not a show with her current state of education!

I don't say anything, because what can I say that will make any difference? Nothing. All it would do is make them angry and defensive.

I used to share what I was doing, mostly out of excitement with what I was doing, but I think they don't like it or feel I'm bragging so now I just zip my gob and say nothing.

I did have an issue with them teasing my DS about the work he has to do and the fact he has rules and a bedtime. I had a frank discussion with him about educational standards, and he copes better with the teasing now.

maybe I live in a bubble, but in my homeschooling group, co-op and church I don't have any friends who are like that. I have one friend who was seriously clinically depressed and didn't (by her reports) do much schooling. She finally sent her kids to school where all three were stars. I think she either did more than she realized or exaggerated the problem - or maybe her children were just exceptional.

Every single homeschooler I know personally has been pretty focused on academics.

What do you say when they call you the overachiever? :glare:

Joan

Can you imagine, I've been doing this for 2 months, and I've heard that comment! Also, I've heard the "Your mother must be so smart" comment said to my daughter when she says she's homeschooled. Being the smarty-pants that I am, I have settled on agreement as an answer to these comments. "YES I AM!" :tongue_smilie:

I've met families like that. I usually turn pale and round-eyed with genuine horror and bite my tongue hard. I can't hang around with people like that; I would feel as though I were watching a train wreck.

Families like these are going to sabotage homeschooling for the rest of us. I think there are going to be many young adults who will rise up in anger against their parents who didn't educate them properly. And they will be justified in doing so.

I actually wish there were a self-policing homeschool association (not government-run) to shame the moms who neglect their children's education. I've met too many moms who gush about their "wonderful family-centered learning" but who are modelling mediocrity, or worse. Their homes are dirty! Their children don't have anything to do a lot of the time! The moms can't stop socializing long enough to do some serious schoolwork! Their expectations are pitifully low, and they're too stubborn to see it! Ick, ick, and double ick!!

Sorry to rant, but this is a subject that always gets me spun up.

:001_smile:

I'm another one that thinks it is none of my business how other families choose to homeschool. We enjoy the freedom of doing what we think is best for our children and I respect other family's freedom to do the same.

It has been a journey for me to arrive at this conclusion, but I now view homeschooling my children in the same way I view my freedom to practice whatever religion I choose however I choose and raise my children from that POV.

I wouldn't want my religious freedom regulated in order to curb another person's freedom from a religious practice with which I disagree, don't understand, or simply wouldn't be interested in practicing. Likewise, I wouldn't want my homeschooling regulated in order to curb another person's freedom to homeschool in a way with which I disagree, don't understand, or simply wouldn't be interested in practicing.

HTH-

Mandy

I was asked to tutor a 12yog last year, which I did. She was very self-motivated, and wanted to study Latin, French, and German. Her mom works two jobs, and her dad works part-time, so he is the homeschooling parent. The poor girl told me that her dad doesn't really teach her; instead, he plays on his computer all day, and has her teach math to her 7yo sister so he can keep an eye on her 2 preschool siblings. She loves to read, and is reading lots of good books on her own, but is at least a year behind in math, and for science, she reads in an old science textbook that she's had for about 3 years. I doubt she's doing any writing at all, and certainly not any grammar. I was paid to teach her beginning Latin, and she didn't even know what a verb and a noun were, so I had to teach a few English grammar basics so she would even be able to understand what I was talking about. And she was a 7th grader! Sad. But unfortunately, there are MANY homeschoolers in my area that approach their kids' education that way.

That makes me really sad to read about a child who is so motivated who isn't even given tools to use on her own.

I've been told that I obviously don't trust my children enough to learn what they need to know (from an unschooler) and that my relationship with my children is not based upon mutual trust.

:rolleyes:

Well, there you go. At least now you know what your problem is. ;) What a crock, huh??

We're slackers.

For the last month we have done little in the way of academics. We had to unexpectedly tear down half our house which involved disconnecting and moving our plumbing, electricity, phone line, and propane line since they all came into the part of the house that we tore down. We had to take out the furnace and all the ductwork (we still have no furnace). This has left little time for cracking open the books, since we did all this work ourselves. In the process my kids have learned about wiring, have sweated plumbing pipes, replaced a heating element on a water heater, dug ditches, operated the transit to take elevations for the new septic line, learned how to take down a house safely, and tons and tons of other stuff. I have absolutely no guilt about setting aside the books for now.

In addition to all of this--my older son (16) has 2 tractors and 2 pickup trucks that he owns and works on: overhauling the engines, rebuilding the brakes, rewiring the trailor hitch, sandblasting and painting, etc, etc, etc. So, many days (before the house project) his formal lessons were cut shorter than I would like so he can pursue these activities.

So, we are academic slackers. Does it bother me? Heck no. I really feel that one never stops learning if one is interested in things. When in his life will he ever have the time to explore his passions if not now? All too soon he will have to find a job, earn a living, whatever. Regardless of the level of academia one has achieved, there are always opportunities to learn--in that one can certainly rise above whatever upbringing they have had. If they chose later on in life to blame their parents, well, then, they just aren't that motivated, are they?

I believe that the best thing my husband and I can teach our children is that, if they are willing, they can always learn. My husband is a do-it-yourselfer to the max, yet he has 4 college degrees under his belt. I have a bachelor's, too, and have just taught myself XHTML and CSS in order to make a webpage. Yet, we are not pushing our kids to go to college. How's that for slacking off? So, in answer to the original OP, I would probably say nothing.

Honestly? I stay far away from them. It so upsets me to see people do this to their kids that I have to just stay away, in order not to say something unforgivable.

And really, anyone who would do this to their kids, particularly their daughters probably wouldn't want their daughters ANYWHERE near me!

:iagree:

This is one of the two reasons we dropped out of our local support group. And yeah, that means home school specific networking is almost all online.

Karen

I like this perspective. http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/2009/10/from-worth-repeating-files-when-other.html

I think it's a better use of my time to worry about what I'm doing. The older I get the more I realize that unless someone specifically asks for my advice' date=' they probably don't want it.

As for them calling you an overachiever...take it as a compliment and say, "Thank you!" :D[/quote']

:iagree: Say "Thanks" and move on. In 20 years I have never seen a homeschooler just like me. I can still be friends with them. To each his or her own.

Honestly? I stay far away from them. It so upsets me to see people do this to their kids that I have to just stay away, in order not to say something unforgivable.

And really, anyone who would do this to their kids, particularly their daughters probably wouldn't want their daughters ANYWHERE near me!

Took the words right out of my mouth. Also, anybody that is doing this with their kids doesn't want to know what you think. They are in the own little world of denial.

Honestly? I stay far away from them.

Ditto. I know many, many homeschoolers IRL whose dc are far behind your average public school student, for a variety of reasons. Some are not happy about that, but some are purposeful in it. I find that they usually are much more anxious to tell me how wrong I am than I am to comment on what they are doing, so I stay away and save myself the grief.

Anyway, it is a lonely road. It's not just homeschooling; our entire family culture is very different than so many: the things we value, the way we talk, the things we do with our time. We know just a handful of families with the same values and principles.

But for the age spread, I would say I used to know this family.

maybe I live in a bubble, but in my homeschooling group, co-op and church I don't have any friends who are like that. ...

Every single homeschooler I know personally has been pretty focused on academics.

This is my reality, too, for the most part. Even the unschoolers I know spend a great deal of time and effort creating a learning rich environment and pursuing their kids' interests.

We're slackers.

No, you're not. Giving your attention to something that requires it right.now. is not slacking. It is, however, one of the beauties of homeschool flexibility.

It's the people who put education aside for house projects, field trips, good books, because it's hot, because it's cold, oh this week is shot because someone has a doctor's appointment... that are slacking.

I've been told that I obviously don't trust my children enough to learn what they need to know (from an unschooler) and that my relationship with my children is not based upon mutual trust.

Oh, yes. I've also been told I was an "elitist" who was training her children to be the next wave in the army of conservative Christian world takeover. No offense to conservative Christians bent on world domination, but you'll be doing it without this liberal, secular homeschooler's kids, unless they choose that path for themselves. ;)

Honestly, most of our friends from church are like this. I don't say a thing. They have totally different expectations for their children. I just enjoy the other things they have to teach me, and their children are a delight to be around.

But, it is lonely not being able to discuss educational things with them. I have other friends that meet those needs in me. And, this lonliness is what brings me to this forum.

Where I used to live, I knew a family with an illiterate 10-y-olds. I knew a 13-y-o who hadn't finished arithmetic. High schoolers who couldn't do 6th grade work. But they were unschoolers, so it was all just FINE, see? Just wasn't ever time enoguh for school.

I also know a woman who brags that she doesn't teach her kid algebra or any of that impractical stuff--they don't even do consumer math because her DS "wouldn't let her get away with sneaking it in." They just "live life," and she thinks other people should be jealous rather than appalled.

There's not much point in saying anything. I mean, it's not like they don't know!

Edited by Reya

Oh, I'd trust any kid to learn what *they* think they need to know. I wouldn't trust many to learn what *I* think they need to know, however.

;)

Rosie

It's going to take us 2 1/2 years to get through ancient history. Maybe on the surface you'd think we were slackers but if you bothered to take a closer look, you'd see that the reason it has taken so long is because we added so many things in. We added all the Biblical stuff plus units on a bunch of lesser-known civilizations. Sure, we could have done SOTW Vol. 1 in a single year, but I just didn't see the benefit of rushing through such an important historical period.

The fact that we're on the same history book for the 3rd year in a row doesn't mean I'm neglecting my kids' education. It just means that we've chosen a 6 year cycle rather than a 4 year one.

Well, this is just like Impish's post, where she's doing TOG slowly because she and her girls want to savor every bit of it. Loving schoolwork is to be commended! It's the moms who never get around to doing schoolwork that are being raked over the coals here.

I wasn't kidding when I said that (many of) these moms can't stop socializing long enough to get some serious schoolwork done. At least, that's what I've seen -- moms who want to yak all day.

It's going to take us 2 1/2 years to get through ancient history. Maybe on the surface you'd think we were slackers but if you bothered to take a closer look, you'd see that the reason it has taken so long is because we added so many things in. We added all the Biblical stuff plus units on a bunch of lesser-known civilizations. Sure, we could have done SOTW Vol. 1 in a single year, but I just didn't see the benefit of rushing through such an important historical period.

The fact that we're on the same history book for the 3rd year in a row doesn't mean I'm neglecting my kids' education. It just means that we've chosen a 6 year cycle rather than a 4 year one.

There is a difference between someone who is taking three years because they are adding, but they are still consistently working through it, and someone who just doesn't get to it for years. I think you know that. ;)

I really don't think she was referring to this sort of situation. You would have to look at her entire post. We too take much longer to go through SOTW because I include so many more resources.

There are many people who do practically nothing beyond math and reading in the homeschooling world, and even then, many of them are not reading prior to being 11. She is speaking about people who keep their children home and teach them character, faith, work ethic and such and basic math and reading. They are not tested in VA because they file under religious exemption.

Edited by nestof3

There are many people who do practically nothing beyond math and reading in the homeschooling world...

I would actually be happy to see *more* homeschoolers doing just math and reading. What I see often are homeschoolers who don't do math and reading much at all, but do find time for a huge history program and science experiments all the time. :001_smile: Then they get to HS and can't figure out why dc stall out in science (no math) or aren't able to read high school literature (no skills.)

I know that's not what you meant, and I'm not quibbling over your words (hasn't there been enough of that on these boards lately? *grin*) Your post just sparked that thought...