Menu

What are you currently reading?

I am reading Trouble by Kate Christensen (she is the author of The Great Man, a fantastic book!), A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes, and some works by John Muir (Ken Burns National Parks series has inspired me) :)

I just read A High Wind in Jamaica last month, quite liked it. I also recently finished A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines and The Road by Cormac McCarthy both of which are the types of books that stay with you.

Currently reading (for me): The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, Food, Inc., and am about to start another of Cormac McCarthy's books.

Currently reading to DS: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Finished Moby Dick on Monday and am now just a hair into Les Miserables. No, I am not a glutton for punishment (I really really liked MD, actually!). I am just trying to make it through the biggest of my 9/9/9 reading challenge categories ("Dusty Covers") before November.

I'm saving the Calvin & Hobbes category for last :)

Also getting ready to tackle Perelandra with ds14 as part of his great books/worldview studies.

Currently reading and enjoying The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller. I love books about children's books so this fits the bill. It's the rare book written by a teacher for teachers that I've found not to be filled with educationalese.

Recently reread for the umpteenth time two of my favorite Star Trek novels - Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday both by A.C. Crispin.

Regards,

Kareni

I haven't read the other replies yet (but will when I have a pencil handy - I always love these threads for ideas!!). :)

I'm finishing up:

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Curiosity finally won out, so I'm listening on CD to:

Dead Before Dark (the first Sookie Stackhouse book) I'm not very far into it yet, but it's entertaining me so far. :)

I'm still working through the Wheel of Time books. I'd intended to finish all of them before the new one came out, but I'm fighting a losing battle. I either just finished, or am about to begin The Lord of Chaos (I get the titles all mixed up!)

I WAS re-reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes in preparation for the new book coming out - but then read reviews that said you really needed to have read the Lord John books Gabaldon has been writing to understand how the new book starts out. *grimace* I started the first Lord John book and could not get into it whatsoever, so I stopped re-reading Breath of Snow and Ashes until I've read the Lord John books. blech. Feels like assigned reading!! (argh! Just realized there are *3* Lord John books! I thought there were only two!! Uggggg!!)

and about to begin (not sure which I will begin with):

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

and Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

Edited by orangearrow

Just finished The Chokecherry Tree by Frederick Manfred

http://www.amazon.com/chokecherry-tree-Zia-book/dp/0826303781/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254367662&sr=1-34

I'll reread my favourite parts before I put it away. Next is the lecture notes that come with the Teaching Company lectures on ancient Asia Minor I started yesterday (by Professor Harl...how I love him).

Just finished Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm also reading A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire. I'm not exactly sure why other than I feel compelled to finish the series.

I recently read Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker and Hold On To Your Kids: Why Parents Matter by Gordon Neufeld.

Janet

I haven't skimmed the thread to see what everyone else is reading but I want to come back and do that soon.

I am reading:

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

Crazy Love by Francis Chan

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

and I just picked up Do Hard Things by the Harris twins. I can't wait to read that one. One of my closest friends said even though it is written for teenagers it was incredibly motivating for her raising kids who will one day be teenagers! :D

I read that last year. I thought it was an amazing book.

Yes, :iagree: I read Infidel when it first came out. Amazing, great and awful. Well-written, eye-opening, disturbing, thought-provoking. I think everyone I know that has read this books said that it stuck with them for a long-time. It is also terrific for people that don't normally read nonfiction because it has a great narrative flow.

Edited by Karen in CO

If I wanted to try Rhys Bowen, which book should I read first?

I like the Molly Murphy books. Definately read in order, though.

Rhys Bowen Booklist

Her Royal Spyness Series:

Berkley hardcover/paperback

Her Royal Spyness, 2007

A Royal Pain, 2008

Royal Flush, July 2009

The Constable Evans Series:

St. Martin's Press hardcover/Berkley Prime Crime paperback

Evans Above, 1997

Evan Help Us, 1998

Evanly Choirs, 1999

Evan and Elle, 2000

Evan Can Wait, 2001

Evans to Betsy, 2002

Evan Only Knows, 2003

Evan's Gate, 2004

Evan Blessed, 2005

Evanly Bodies, 2006

The Molly Murphy Series:

St. Martin's Press hardcover/paperback

Murphy's Law, 2001

Death of Riley, 2002

For the Love of Mike, 2003

In Like Flynn, 2005

Oh Danny Boy, 2006

In Dublin's Fair City, 2007

Tell Me, Pretty Maiden, 2008

In a Gilded Cage, 2009

Just a warning, I think there talk of abortion one of the books. I just remember thinking I'd let my dd read it until that was mentioned.

I'm at an impasse where I can't seem to be able to find a good book to get into, which is appalling for me. I need ideas. So, what are you reading?

I'm so excited...I never get to participate in these threads b/c I never read for just me...I am, although not necessarily just for me, currently reading Shop Class as Soulcraft and thoroughly enjoying it!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Ouch. :tongue_smilie: I'm still scarred from slogging through that last year!

HeHe. It has been a long slow read so far, but I'm taking it a little at the time. I read it on the beach one day last week and on the ferry one day this week - I just need to move back to an an ocean so that I can be inspired by the salty seas. I have actually made it to my 40s with no idea of how Moby Dick ends so at least I have the unfurling of the story to look forward to.

Currently reading and enjoying The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller. I love books about children's books so this fits the bill. It's the rare book written by a teacher for teachers that I've found not to be filled with educationalese.

I've finished the book above and am now plowing through Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story by Sue Monk Kidd and her daughter Ann Kidd Taylor. It's a thought provoking and pleasurable read.

Regards,

Kareni

"Echo in the Bone" by Diana Gabaldon!!!!

I just picked it up at Costco the other day for $16!!! :w00t:

I love Jamie and Claire!!!!

I thought the last book ("Breath of Snow and Ashes") was the last of the series, so I'm thrilled to have another book to read!!! :hurray:

Wait! What do you mean Jamie and Claire?? I'm about 30% into Outlander and I like Jamie but is she not going to ever get back to Frank?? Uh oh, I don't know what to think now...

I just finished The Lost Symbol. Before that was Gulliver's Travels and before that was ... hmm... I can't remember! I'm in the middle of moving and my mother having back surgery and living with us. So, I'm a bit stretched in the brain cell capacity right now. :)

Wait! What do you mean Jamie and Claire?? I'm about 30% into Outlander and I like Jamie but is she not going to ever get back to Frank?? Uh oh, I don't know what to think now...

I can't tell you that without spoiling the book!!! Keep reading! It is resolved...and continued even more in the 2nd book -- which is "Dragonfly in Amber"

After reading WTM, and then a book that helped me understand my son with some 'issues'... The Out of Sync Child.... I opted for two fluffy, mindless stories by Travis Thrasher.... The Promise Remains and Three Roads Home. I liked The Promise Remains better, but not stellar lit in my mind... just something fluffy to give my brain a rest!

I'm going to peruse these posts for my next read!

Edited to add... just remembered I was very into Ted Dekker this past summer... his older work is better than his most recent IMO... he's getting too gruesome for me... but his Black, Red, White series was really good!

I'm at an impasse where I can't seem to be able to find a good book to get into, which is appalling for me. I need ideas. So, what are you reading?

I'm reading Death in Yellowstone - Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park.

It's very interesting and reminds me of how the wilderness is very wild and danger is all around you. It's not like a trip to Disneyland.

I first read parts of the book several weeks ago while at Yellowstone, but it was too scary for me to finish while being there.

I'm reading Death in Yellowstone - Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park.

It's very interesting and reminds me of how the wilderness is very wild and danger is all around you. It's not like a trip to Disneyland.

I first read parts of the book several weeks ago while at Yellowstone, but it was too scary for me to finish while being there.

We bought Death in Yosemite when we were up there last ... definitely an interesting read (my boys were fascinated with it, though we only read them the "natural" death stories), but yes, a little freaky to read while in the park.