Menu

plastic surgery.....

Here's a topic: Plastic surgery....discuss.

A friend of mine recently told me she's planning on updating her "BooKs." (and increasing the volume of them.) I'm not sure what to think of it. Sure, I've always kidded, "Oh, I'd love to do that..." but I'm not sure if I'd ever go through with it.

So...any thoughts? Should we just let nature takes it's (gravitational)course, or should we fight it? Are we messing with God's plan? Do you think differently of someone who has undergone botox, facelift, or some other kind of enhancement? Would you ever do it?

Just curious....

(please, let's keep it respectful, hivers.)

I have considered it, I'd be lying if I tried to claim otherwise. When I was a LLLLeader I was frequently asked about nursing with implants. It's also discussed fairly regularly in my social circle. I'm always surprised at the number of women I know who have had plastic surgery in one form or another.

I'm tempted by the promise of plastic surgery but it's SURGERY, best left to when I need it to save my life or repair the effects of disease or disaster.

Besides, vanity is taken too far. As much as I would like to look as if I were sleeping in cold storage, I am not sure we are supposed to make it to the grave looking like we have never lived. YMMV.

I've considered it. I don't want to increase volume, but it'd be nice if they were sitting on the shelf, instead of looking like they'd fallen off on the floor. I'd also like a tummy tuck.

But I won't do it. It's too risky to me. I just can't take the tiny chance something would go wrong since it's not medically necessary.

I don't think I'd ever do it, but I fantasize about a tummy tuck. I am opposed to putting foreign objects in my body as much as possible, so that rules out botox and implants. However, I have handfuls of loose skin that probably will never go away no matter how much weight I lose - that wonderful Irish-Norwegian skin:).

...it's SURGERY, best left to when I need it to save my life or repair the effects of disease or disaster.

Besides, vanity is taken too far. As much as I would like to look as if I were sleeping in cold storage, I am not sure we are supposed to make it to the grave looking like we have never lived. YMMV.

:iagree:

I wouldn't consider major surgery just to change my appearance.

Nope, I'd never consider it.

I do not necessarily think less of someone for having "elective" surgery done (I understand those wanting reductions for back issues or reconstructive after a car accident) but I do pity them. That they feel in order to feel 'better' about themselves that they have to have this done...what has society done to a naturally beautifully created person...to make them feel this is 'necessary'....some of the most precious and admirable people I know have boobs down to their belly buttons and enough wrinkles to rival any roadmap...but it's what is INSIDE, their soul, their heart, their desire to teach/love/share.....if more would find the tools to work on that part...maybe they would not put such a high value on superficial...face it, boobs are functional to supply nutrition...

When does the madness stop?

Tara

I won't lie.. Last year I went in for a consult to "upgrade" the "girls".... Found out the price tag associated with it and decided that the "girls" may look a little tired but at least their mine free & clear!! (Took it to the gym instead, started lifting more weights and they have perked up quite a bit and so have I...) Now, if my chin starts hitting my soup one day I may consider a little face "upgrade" but I'm all good as it is right now.

I do not necessarily think less of someone for having "elective" surgery done (I understand those wanting reductions for back issues or reconstructive after a car accident) but I do pity them. That they feel in order to feel 'better' about themselves that they have to have this done...what has society done to a naturally beautifully created person...to make them feel this is 'necessary'....some of the most precious and admirable people I know have boobs down to their belly buttons and enough wrinkles to rival any roadmap...but it's what is INSIDE, their soul, their heart, their desire to teach/love/share.....if more would find the tools to work on that part...maybe they would not put such a high value on superficial...face it, boobs are functional to supply nutrition...

Tara

That sounded funny...she's going to increase the "volume" of her BooKs.

If she goes through with it, it'd be nice if she would stop by here and let us know how it went! We'd all want to know!

It's all caught me off guard because this is the LAST person you would think who would do this. (Not that there's any one type of person who would do this.)

She's not a homeschooler, just a mom whose done having kids (5) and she's only 36. Her exact words were she "feels too young to look like a documentary subject on National Geographic." I can relate. She's having the surgery this Friday. I'm curious about it too.

I just had a breast reduction surgery in April, and my only complaint is with myself for not having done it sooner! I feel so much better. My back used to ache like crazy when I did the dishes, or stood for a long time chopping vegetables or something like that. I still have the indentations in my shoulders from the bra straps, but hopefully those will eventually even out a bit. My insurance paid for it, but if I had to pay for it out of pocket, I probably would never have done it, unless there was some way for me to have known how much better I feel. Then, I would have worked hard to save the money for it.

We have heavy arms in my family. My 30 yo neice who is a size 6 had plastick surgery to remove the extra layer of fat in her upper arms and I would like to do it too. But I probaby will not because it's NOT that big a deal to me!

Both my SIL's had booK reductions (genetically endowed). Petit women with large BooKs make for a bad back! :tongue_smilie:

I would love to get mine reduced too. My mom had hers done 6 months ago and has offered to help pay for mine. Of course, I would never let her but since I inherited these dang things from her side of the family, at least she knows who I hold responsible. :o) LOL I plan I getting them reduced as soon as I am able. My back is numb in several places, I have deep indentations in my shoulders and they are both racing to see who reaches my naval first. (I'm a 34DD-if you're curious.)

I've considered it. I don't want to increase volume, but it'd be nice if they were sitting on the shelf, instead of looking like they'd fallen off on the floor. I'd also like a tummy tuck.

But I won't do it. It's too risky to me. I just can't take the tiny chance something would go wrong since it's not medically necessary.

I would love to have the girls sitting up again, and a tummy tuck would be great too. But it's a risk I don't need to take, and I hate needles. Also, as much as I would like to have it done, if I had the money lying around I would choose to spend it on travel instead.

... I do pity them. That they feel in order to feel 'better' about themselves that they have to have this done...what has society done to a naturally beautifully created person...to make them feel this is 'necessary'....some of the most precious and admirable people I know have boobs down to their belly buttons and enough wrinkles to rival any roadmap...

Tara

I agree in theory with this, but gee whiz...it's a jungle out there these days. It's so hard to not look around and feel inadequate, especially when these kinds of procedures are becoming more and more common. You really notice the difference when you watch old 70s or 80s movies...the women sure are "shaped" differently nowaday. My sister is a NP and she is amazed at how many women aren't all natural.

Well, there are a lot of other financial priorities above plastic surgery for us, so it's really only a hypothetical question here.

But, yes, I've thought about it. I'd like to do some editing, in my case abridging my books and moving them up to a higher shelf.

Wendi

Oh my, Mrs. Frankweiler, you do like those hot topics, don't you? ;) (hoping this doesn't turn hot but it DOES have the potential!)

I think to each his own. If it's what someone wants, and it will make someone feel better about themselves, who am I to judge?

For me, my BooKs (do I have that right?) have deflated and flown down south to take up permanent residence. I think I'm ok with that. BUT, the thing that REALLY bothers me is my eyes. About 2 - 3 months after bringing my mother home, YES I was totally and completely exhausted. Everyone I knew told me I looked exhausted. Dh's friends commented to him about how tired I looked. Everyone was concerned.

Well, mom's been gone just over 2 months now. My bags under my eyes remain. I pretty much kept to myself the past 9 weeks, only speaking to friends on the phone. My best friend flew out from CA and I saw two of my close friends once or twice, but I just NEEDED to be home to heal and rest. Like I said, over two months later and the activities have started up, our homeschool groups started up, and I've even started to see my friends just recently. EVERYONE tells me how tired I look. I'm guessing these bags are here to stay. I think they'd be gone by now because I'm definitely sleeping well.

All this to say - I want an eye job. Haven't approached dh about it yet but I think I'm going to get the details for my 50th birthday in 4 years. I feel like I look like I'm tired and I've had a hard life because of my friend's comments. They all love me and mean NO harm, but I do have eyes myself. On the other hand, most people can't believe I'm 46 years old. They tell me I don't look it.

One thing I do worry about is all my conservative Christian acquaintances and the judgment they'll pass. I'll just have to do what I'm getting better and better at - NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK.

Edited by Denisemomof4

Tara

Dh and talk about having my books fixed often. When I was 18, I have a beneign tumor removed that was about the size of a golf ball. There is a noticable difference in them now. I have a hard time finding bras that fit properly. I would like to get them evened back out, but I probably never will. He says I can, since it bothers me, but I won't spend that much money on myself. This was done back before insurance companies were required to pay for reconstructive surgery. The dr. says she might be able to convince insurance to pay at least part of it since I am having quite a bit of pain from scar tissue. It probably needs to be removed, but there is always the chance of creating more scar tissue. I may do it at some point, but not any time soon.:glare:

Denise,

I know what you mean about your eyes making you look older. I have permanent dark circles under/around my eyes (allergies and very thin, fair skin). Plus allergies sometimes make my eyes puffy or the skin dry and flaky. My eyes are rather small, too, so I feel like they're overwhelmed by the dark circles. Then there are the little wrinkles... I'm only 42, for Pete's sake!

I have found that using an eye cream for "older" skin helps firm up the area a bit and even makes the circles less noticeable.

Wendi

I agree in theory with this, but gee whiz...it's a jungle out there these days. It's so hard to not look around and feel inadequate, especially when these kinds of procedures are becoming more and more common. You really notice the difference when you watch old 70s or 80s movies...the women sure are "shaped" differently nowaday. My sister is a NP and she is amazed at how many women aren't all natural.

IMO, if we succumb to the feelings of inadequacy by having surgery to change our looks, we are feeding into the *jungle* mentality. IMO.

Not to mention what we're teaching our young impressionable daughters. "You can only feel good about yourself if you have fake boobs, a tummy tuck after childbirth, a facelift and no evidence of living life." That's not the message I want my girls to learn.

Like I said, jmo.:001_smile:

Oh my, Mrs. Frankweiler, you do like those hot topics, don't you? ;) (hoping this doesn't turn hot but it DOES have the potential!)

I know, I know....but I've had the craziest things happening to me lately which inspire me to post here. Believe me, I thought long and hard about posting this. I don't want it to turn nasty, I'll ask the moderators to delete the thread if it does. I'm sure, as women (and probably the men on here too...feel free to chime in!) we've all thought about this topic. Just curious about where popular opinion lies, and maybe one side can understand the other and vice-versa.

So, understanding good, nasty bad.

Denise,

I know what you mean about your eyes making you look older. I have permanent dark circles under/around my eyes (allergies and very thin, fair skin). Plus allergies sometimes make my eyes puffy or the skin dry and flaky. My eyes are rather small, too, so I feel like they're overwhelmed by the dark circles. Then there are the little wrinkles... I'm only 42, for Pete's sake!

I have found that using an eye cream for "older" skin helps firm up the area a bit and even makes the circles less noticeable.

Wendi

which eye cream do you use?

I have to admit, I feel as tired as I look. :sad:

One thing I do worry about is all my conservative Christian acquaintances and the judgment they'll pass. I'll just have to do what I'm getting better and better at - NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK.

You might be surprised that they won't judge you. I am a conservative Christian but I have thought about getting things done. We'll never have the finances to do it but I've certainly thought about it.

I have droopy eyelids. It honestly makes me look less friendly and approachable. And I don't need help in that department. :tongue_smilie: I get it from my Dad, and at his age (73), they just kept going south, and I'm surprised he can see out from under there. I think I would consider a brow lift at some point in my life. Provided that money wasn't a significant hindrance.

I have droopy eyelids. It honestly makes me look less friendly and approachable. And I don't need help in that department. :tongue_smilie: I get it from my Dad, and at his age (73), they just kept going south, and I'm surprised he can see out from under there. I think I would consider a brow lift at some point in my life. Provided that money wasn't a significant hindrance.

I have a friend who had her droopy eyelids fixed. I hadn't seen her in a long time, and I thought- wow, she looks great! Turns out her eyelids had gotten so bad she had to push them up out of her way in order to see well enough to drive home from work. She showed me her drivers' license picture, her eyelids completely covered her eyelashes. The took a piece of skin the size of a quarter off of each lid. She loves being able to see again!

And I agree with this too...that's my dilemma. Do you understand the anguish going on in my head? I can see both sides of the argument.

I can understand both sides too. That is why I think the reasons are important. If someone is getting surgery because they think it will solve all of their problems then they shouldn't be doing it. If after careful thought and maybe discussion with their husband they come to the decision then I think it is probably ok. If someone wants to do it because their dh would think it was more sexy thenI say go for it. I wouldn't do it to save a marriage though.

And I agree with this too...that's my dilemma. Do you understand the anguish going on in my head? I can see both sides of the argument.

I do understand!

It's peer pressure of magnificent proportions, isn't it? Quite honestly, I don't hang out with people whose main focus is trying to look young.

My poor sis is terrified of looking old. Terrified. As if old is bad, in the first place (another idea I just don't get) She's had all the 'procedures' and surgeries. And she does look 10 years younger than she is. (She doesn't have kids, btw) But for what? She's still going to grow old, hopefully, and someday she'll die. Does she want her legacy to be that she never looked her age? Yikes.

Tangerine...my dad has the same eyes your dad does. His ophthalmologist suggested surgery to protect his eye sight.

When I was in my 20's I wanted a nose job. People teased me about my nose when I was in middle school and high school. Now I like my nose. My 15 yo dd has my nose also, and I think it's beautiful on her!

I would like to get the lower belly flab removed. I have a lot of loose skin down there, post-kids. I would also be happy to have a breast reduction & update. But I don't think I'd want to take the risk of surgery or spend the money, so I'll get some spanx instead!

I do understand!

It's peer pressure of magnificent proportions, isn't it? Quite honestly, I don't hang out with people whose main focus is trying to look young.

My poor sis is terrified of looking old. Terrified. As if old is bad, in the first place (another idea I just don't get) She's had all the 'procedures' and surgeries. And she does look 10 years younger than she is. (She doesn't have kids, btw) But for what? She's still going to grow old, hopefully, and someday she'll die. Does she want her legacy to be that she never looked her age? Yikes.

Tangerine...my dad has the same eyes your dad does. His ophthalmologist suggested surgery to protect his eye sight.

I didn't think I was hanging out with such people either! It's tough...I want to be supportive, but I don't want to lie to her either. I understand how she feels, but I also want to tell her all the things you've said. Tricky, tricky.

My sister is a NP and she is amazed at how many women aren't all natural.

I have to share! I was going in for a physical...the nurse putting the leeds on my chest for the EKG actually said this to me, "You really ought to consider getting those things lifted." :001_huh: First, on what level or planet is she allowed to comment on the state of my BooKs? and second, HUH??? I just smiled at her and said, "they are my memorial scars for having breast fed three of the best children brought into this earth, I'm rather fond of them..." That got her quiet.

I also noticed you were looking for a popular opinion...that is dangerous, because I believe that is what has put us in this place and time...I honestly don't make decisions because they're popular, but because they're best for me, my family, others. I think you're rather wise, savvy and thoughtful...it is rather popular right now for teens to be texting while they're driving, eating, relieving themselves, at 2am when they should be sleeping...but is it wise? We live in a time of fools right now...it's become rather popular to be a fool....it's hard enough for me not to be a fool on my own actions, don't need outside influences directing me! :)

Good going, you're thinking!

Tara

I have to share! I was going in for a physical...the nurse putting the leeds on my chest for the EKG actually said this to me, "You really ought to consider getting those things lifted." :001_huh: First, on what level or planet is she allowed to comment on the state of my BooKs? and second, HUH??? I just smiled at her and said, "they are my memorial scars for having breast fed three of the best children brought into this earth, I'm rather fond of them..." That got her quiet.

I also noticed you were looking for a popular opinion...that is dangerous, because I believe that is what has put us in this place and time...I honestly don't make decisions because they're popular, but because they're best for me, my family, others. I think you're rather wise, savvy and thoughtful...it is rather popular right now for teens to be texting while they're driving, eating, relieving themselves, at 2am when they should be sleeping...but is it wise? We live in a time of fools right now...it's become rather popular to be a fool....it's hard enough for me not to be a fool on my own actions, don't need outside influences directing me! :)

Good going, you're thinking!

Tara

Great comeback! I'll have to remember that one.

Just to clarify, I was just interested in popular opinion...but it won't necessarily sway me one way or the other. I'm definitely not in the "everyone else is doing it, so it must be right...." crowd.

I knew all this thinking would get me in trouble someday!;)

BUT, the thing that REALLY bothers me is my eyes. About 2 - 3 months after bringing my mother home, YES I was totally and completely exhausted. Everyone I knew told me I looked exhausted. Dh's friends commented to him about how tired I looked. Everyone was concerned.

Well, mom's been gone just over 2 months now. My bags under my eyes remain. I pretty much kept to myself the past 9 weeks, only speaking to friends on the phone. My best friend flew out from CA and I saw two of my close friends once or twice, but I just NEEDED to be home to heal and rest. Like I said, over two months later and the activities have started up, our homeschool groups started up, and I've even started to see my friends just recently. EVERYONE tells me how tired I look. I'm guessing these bags are here to stay. I think they'd be gone by now because I'm definitely sleeping well.

All this to say - I want an eye job. Haven't approached dh about it yet but I think I'm going to get the details for my 50th birthday in 4 years. I feel like I look like I'm tired and I've had a hard life because of my friend's comments. They all love me and mean NO harm, but I do have eyes myself. On the other hand, most people can't believe I'm 46 years old. They tell me I don't look it.

When you read some comments on the board, you realize that many people WILL judge you if you choose to go through with it. It never fails to amaze me how people love to pick an issue that really doesn't effect them and come down on those who struggle!

I had my eyes done several years ago. I had just come through nursing my third baby and a mentally and physically ill mother who finally succumbed cancer. I had hereditary bags under my eyes which were SEVERELY worsened with everything I had been through. No matter how I felt any time of day; dressed up and make-up applied, I always heard how tired I looked. It starts to wear on you after a while. If I was actually feeling pretty good about myself, inevitably someone would comment on my tired appearance and really bring me down. The long and short of it is, once I went through with the procedure, I found out who the quality people in my life really were. I got to be the butt of many jokes and gossip in my neighborhood, but it was for the best. I believe God used that time in my life to do a serious weeding job in my circle of friends. As painful as it was to realize some were fair-weather friends, my life is better for it now. And I have been healed from the spiritually toxic desire to live my life for "appearances" (other people's approval) and living for my own convictions. It is almost ironic to put it that way, since most people would assume anyone getting plastic surgery is really living for "appearances"!

Best blessings to you!

My 16yo dd had reduction surgery last Dec. Her cup size was F/G for goodness sake! She spent the last two years sitting on the couch because it simply hurt too much to go out and do anything. FINally we found a dr. that was willing to do surgery on a young teen.

Her life has changed so much since last year: she is up and out and about....she has more energy, is happier and much, much more active. I can't image her NOT having had plastic surgery. The drs and nurses that we talked to before-hand all complimented 'me' for having the guts to bring her in. It never occurred to me not to, really. As a mom, my job is to take my dc to the dr when they have a physical problem and.....boy oh boy....was this a doozy of a physical problem. They said most moms simply won't address the issue and make their girls suffer. I can't even image that!

Our most conservative of Christian friends were nothing but supportive, but I suppose that was because they could see how she had gone from an outgoing, active, small girl to a sedentary, quiet, large teen.

Now for myself......I've had three abdominal surgeries and my stomach muscles simply don't exist; they are split down the middle. The dr. says plastic surgery can correct it (tummy tuck) and I'd REALLY like it done as I don't care for this huge gut hanging down there.....but....having already gone through three unavoidable surgeries......it's not something I am choosing to do, kwim? When my dr. says I 'need' to have it done for physical reasons, then I guess I'll no longer be able to avoid it.

I hate surgery and unless it is something that 'has' to be done, I don't do it. The voice of experience talking. Surgery is NOT a good experience.

I plan on getting a tummy tuck after I've lost all the weight I possibly can--and after I've raised the money. lol I've just reached the 50 pounds lost mark (30+ to go) and it's hard to see this big loose chunk of flesh that keeps me from wearing pants in a size that fits right! It's uncomfortable and discouraging because I've worked HARD.

I could care less if anyone thinks that is vain. LOL I don't think less of anyone for getting plastic surgery, but I will only go for the tummy tuck because *I* think it's necessary for ME. I won't put on the serene "proud of my childbearing battle scars" face when I can do a little something to at least be comfortable again in my clothes. (I'm talking about the extremely hard work at the gym I've put in even more than the abdominoplasty!) :D

I plan on getting a tummy tuck after I've lost all the weight I possibly can--and after I've raised the money. lol I've just reached the 50 pounds lost mark (30+ to go) :D

:hurray: Wow! That's amazing! I know losing weight is so hard. Keep it up! You can do it.

After all this hard work you deserve a tummy tuck!

You might be surprised that they won't judge you. I am a conservative Christian but I have thought about getting things done. We'll never have the finances to do it but I've certainly thought about it.

I, too, am a conservative Christian and I am certain there are some who run in my circles who would judge. They're not who I consider friends, more acquaintances, but they would judge.

I think about it but don't know if I'll ever have the guts to do it. ;)

well, a good friend of mine's mother had to have this surgically corrected. Her doctor told her if she didn't, she'd lose her eyesight. Insurance paid for it as a necessity and not elective, and the bonus was that she looked a decade younger afterward. :001_smile:

Tara

:eek::eek::eek: She said WHAT??!

And as far as YOUR response??? :hurray::hurray::hurray: You GO, girl!!! :thumbup:

When you read some comments on the board, you realize that many people WILL judge you if you choose to go through with it. It never fails to amaze me how people love to pick an issue that really doesn't effect them and come down on those who struggle!

I had my eyes done several years ago. I had just come through nursing my third baby and a mentally and physically ill mother who finally succumbed cancer. I had hereditary bags under my eyes which were SEVERELY worsened with everything I had been through. No matter how I felt any time of day; dressed up and make-up applied, I always heard how tired I looked. It starts to wear on you after a while. If I was actually feeling pretty good about myself, inevitably someone would comment on my tired appearance and really bring me down. The long and short of it is, once I went through with the procedure, I found out who the quality people in my life really were. I got to be the butt of many jokes and gossip in my neighborhood, but it was for the best. I believe God used that time in my life to do a serious weeding job in my circle of friends. As painful as it was to realize some were fair-weather friends, my life is better for it now. And I have been healed from the spiritually toxic desire to live my life for "appearances" (other people's approval) and living for my own convictions. It is almost ironic to put it that way, since most people would assume anyone getting plastic surgery is really living for "appearances"!

Best blessings to you!

Thank you SO much for sharing your story! Sending you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

For me, I feel like these are battle scars. Every day I'm tired from lack of sleep and they're more pronounced, I think of my mom every time I see myself in the mirror. They're not hereditary, but taking care of her was such hard work, not to mention HEART WRENCHING. I cried all the time at the shape she had to live in. It was so hard to see her. So when I see my tired eyes and people remind me I look tired, I remember all I did to get me to that point. I think of them as scars, painful scars that I want removed.

Blessings to YOU!