Menu

Saille!

It's S-A-I-L-L-E. Pronounced Shay-luh. I'll even answer to Say-AL.

It drives me so crazy when people who've known me online for years (and I've *always* had the same user name) type S-A-L-L-I-E. It makes me feel like Mrs. Mungo feels about pluralizing with apostrophes. It makes me want to do this:

:banghead:

That is all.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... when people insist on calling me LeeAnn. That is not my name. Just because Luanne is not a common name doesn't make it ok to just make a common name up for me.

Perhaps they're not "making up a common name" for you; perhaps they're just innocently mistaken?

Try having "Astrid" as your name.

Esther.

Aster

Ass-turd

The possibilities are endless. I just politely restate my name, and then add, "It's Swedish."

Astrid (who really does love her name)

Perhaps they're not "making up a common name" for you; perhaps they're just innocently mistaken?

Esther.

Aster

Ass-turd

The possibilities are endless. I just politely restate my name, and then add, "It's Swedish."

:lol: Astrid, you know we love you baby.

Astrid, I love your name, too!

Saille, I'm sorry your name is constantly misspelled.

Mine is often mispronounced. I didn't think Laura was a difficult one, but apparently many (read most) people think it is pronounced Lora. Oh.I.don't.like.that. It's Law-rah. :)

This is exactly why my mom didn't name me Laura. My dad couldn't say it properly. He said Lora!! My mom hated it, so she chose something else! :lol:

Well, while we are at it...I can't stand when I tell someone my name is Rebecca and they immediately respond, "nice to meet you, Becky." Ugh! If I wanted to be called "Becky," perhaps I would have used that name in my introductions, signatures, etc.

I agree :banghead:

... only it is spelled Rebekah and like you, she hates it when people call her "Becky". I don't know why people feel they have a right to give you a nickname you didn't ask for. Maybe you both should reply "nice to meet you, Chad" ... no matter what their name is.

... only it is spelled Rebekah and like you, she hates it when people call her "Becky". I don't know why people feel they have a right to give you a nickname you didn't ask for. Maybe you both should reply "nice to meet you, Chad" ... no matter what their name is.

Both of my daughters have names with no traditional nickname - on purpose.

I cannot imagine having someone tell me their name and then choose to call them something other than what they JUST said. Bizarre.

And I totally love the Chad idea. :lol:

I have always had an unwritten rule, if you give me a nickname or ask me what I go by AFTER I have introduced myself as Dorinda, you do not care about me as a person and you are not worth my time. I understand when people can't remember my name, I am even forgiving when they can't spell it, but when they try and replace my name with one that is more convenient to them:

My 6 year old is so frustrated with people mispronouncing her name ("Hello! It's a SOFT G! Why don't people understand that Mom?!"), she introduces herself as, "Gillian with a G, some people use a J, but we use a G and it's a soft G because it's before an I."

BTW - I LOVE your name Saille

:001_smile:

Blessings!

Dorinda

It's S-A-I-L-L-E. Pronounced Shay-luh. I'll even answer to Say-AL.

It drives me so crazy when people who've known me online for years (and I've *always* had the same user name) type S-A-L-L-I-E. It makes me feel like Mrs. Mungo feels about pluralizing with apostrophes. It makes me want to do this:

That is all.

did I do that? If I did it was a typo. I have never thought of your name as Sallie.

My name is not Cameron, btw.

... when people insist on calling me LeeAnn. That is not my name. Just because Luanne is not a common name doesn't make it ok to just make a common name up for me.

I hear ya'. One of the reasons I went with LB after a friend started using it, is the fact that Lori Beth can so easily become Mary Beth. Not to mention the umpteen ways there are to spell Lori.

For the record, my sister is a Lee Anne, and my aunt was a Luanne. Never understood why it was so hard for folks to get those two names right.

Well, while we are at it...I can't stand when I tell someone my name is Rebecca and they immediately respond, "nice to meet you, Becky." Ugh! If I wanted to be called "Becky," perhaps I would have used that name in my introductions, signatures, etc.

I agree :banghead:

Folks do this to my daughter, too. Her name is Elizabeth. She is the 5th Elizabeth in a row on my Mom's side of the family, but the very first one to actually be called Elizabeth. We have never done nicknames (well, I do, but they are all Sweetums, HoneyPie type nicknames, lol) with her, and she just likes to be called by her name. She is constantly correcting folks when they call her Lizzie or Beth.

Had this problem with my nephew, too. His name is Stephan (with a long E), but folks call him Steve often. He just glares at them and ignores them.

:confused:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a rat's patootie how my name is mangled? It's Cami, or Camille, but I answer to Tami, Sami, Bambi, Sandy, Amy...anything with an "e" at the end, since there aren't a great deal of us around.

My girls have very unusual names as well, though they also follow basic phonetic rules, like mine. They get mangled. Neither girl cares all that particular much, or do I. They will pronounce it for someone who asks, but are well used to just answering to some variation of it, and none of us ever get the least bit upset if it is continually mangled. Just comes iwht the territory, I guess. Names are hard!

Line (:D), if you need a laugh at my expense, I've been reading your name on this board as "The CRAPPY after schooler". I always wanted to ask if you thought you were crappy, or after schooling was crappy, or what the heck was up with that name.:lol:

Reading comprehension...not my strong suit.

Line (:D), if you need a laugh at my expense, I've been reading your name on this board as "The CRAPPY after schooler". I always wanted to ask if you thought you were crappy, or after schooling was crappy, or what the heck was up with that name.:lol:

Reading comprehension...not my strong suit.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love it! As you can see, I'm not great at coming up with screen names! I love to scrapbook, so that's the first thing that came to mind. I wonder how many others think I'm a crappy afterschooler?

One of my girls is a "Lauren", and it really bugs her when people pronounce it like "Lor-en". :(

How do you pronounce it? Here is a link to my dd saying Lauren. Is that not how you say it?

BTW I made that recording because there was a thread on here about William being two syllable or three. :001_huh: My ds and I clearly say Will EE UM but will clap 2 syllables Will YUM. And dd didn't want to be left out so I tacked her on there.

ETA: do you mean they say it in a way that rhymes with Star-En... then that would bug me too. :) If it's Lor-en to rhyme with Store-En, then we say it wrong! :eek:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Saille: The fourth letter of the Ogham tree alphabet, representing the letter S and meaning "willow."

Nobody here did it, that's why I can post it here. It's a common misspelling, but when we've been running in the same circles for five years or so...:tongue_smilie:

My maiden name was Patton, and it's amazing how often that can be misspelled and mispronounced.

Yay for solidarity! I will endeavor to pronounce all names correctly, and will not call anyone "crappy". :lol:

:confused:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a rat's patootie how my name is mangled? It's Cami, or Camille, but I answer to Tami, Sami, Bambi, Sandy, Amy...anything with an "e" at the end, since there aren't a great deal of us around.

My girls have very unusual names as well, though they also follow basic phonetic rules, like mine. They get mangled. Neither girl cares all that particular much, or do I. They will pronounce it for someone who asks, but are well used to just answering to some variation of it, and none of us ever get the least bit upset if it is continually mangled. Just comes iwht the territory, I guess. Names are hard!

No, I don't care, either.

I am constantly called my daughter's name (& she mine!) She has an older, old fashioned name and I have a name that's been more popular recently.

We just answer b/c we understand that people make mistakes.

Maybe it helps that I never felt comfortable with my name?!?!

And people mispronounce her name --- marine, like marine biologist, instead of more eeen.

Esther.

Aster

Ass-turd

Like Michael on the Office put that on M&Ms for Jan's baby! :lol:

The hardest name to me for years to pronounce was the nick-name form of Kathleen/Katherine etc. "Kathy". I'd pronounce it "Kate-y", simply could not get into my mind why someone would want to be called "catty"....(Btw I love the name Kathleen so why chang ethat??).

I am not a natural born speaker, speak pretty well, but I do have some mistakes with basic names. On the other hand then nobody basically pronounce our names properly or take the time to actually read them and listen to the way they are said -and we spent a good deal of time choosing easy-to-say names...!

My name Nadia was always prnounced Naaahdia (which I *hate*) until I learned how to make my a so flat wen intorducing myself. Occasionally I mention the gymnast and people get my name right away (not that exotic after all!). With my kids, forget it. Here in New England their "a"s all get flattened totally even though they should be pronounced very open!!!! One dd has the name Deema and people just change that to Deena!!

Whatever! If you don't care about pronouncing our names while you can pronounce all those funny Irish names spelled twnety diferent ways, then what can I do??

Astrid, I love your name, too!

Saille, I'm sorry your name is constantly misspelled.

Mine is often mispronounced. I didn't think Laura was a difficult one, but apparently many (read most) people think it is pronounced Lora. Oh.I.don't.like.that. It's Law-rah. :)

Funny... My name is spelled Laura too... and it's always been pronouced "Lora", and that's just the way I pronounce it. I have a friend whose name is Lara, and she pronounces it "Law-rah". I wonder if it's regional?

..Laura

One of the names I have a hard time pronouncing when I first look at it is Ceilidh (the Gaelic for Kaylee). It throws me off every.single.time...though I think it is really cool. I just find myself wanting to say "Celia" and "Cedelia" (like Amelia Bedelia) before I remember to pronounce it "Kaylee."

Edited by Tree House Academy

My dd goes through this a lot too.

Her name is Annika Clare (no her first name is not after the female golfer, but after the borg character 7 of 9 in StarTrek Voyager played by Jeri Ryan. It was her human name before being assimilated)

It's pronounced ah-nick-uh and if she goes by a shortened version it's Ah-na, not An-uh.

The worst is when people call her uh-KNEE-kuh she hates that more than anything. Some will even say An-Knee-kuh and think we wanted a boy to name Annikin (like Skywalker) after the character in Star Wars.

Most times she introduces herself as Annika Clare but nobody ever remembers to use her middle name too.

I understand your frustration. My dd's name is Justine. People call her Justin. Even when they see her and know she is a girl they call her Justin. They must think the E is a typo? That bad part is that her middle initial is an E so often in writing it looks like Justine E. ________ Many people just assume someone got carried away with E's and it must be Justin.

My 12yo dd's name is Francesca, and nobody ever gets it right. They call her Fran-ces- ca, with a soft c in the middle. It is pronounced Fran-ches-ka. She has stopped correcting people. The funniest pronounciation was a friend's little girl who called her "my friend Jessica" because she couldn't say Francesca.

I don't have that problem. How can you mess up Tammy - such a boring name.

I envy all of you with intersting names.

Astrid -- Ass-Turd! That is hilarious!! I've never read your name wrong, but I can see that.

My brother (and subsequently all his Jr High friends) took to calling me Anal for about 5 years.

I have to admit I read thescrappyhomeschooler as crappy the first time too! (Sorry I don't know how to multi-quote on this board for some reason.)

People always spell my name wrong when there are forms to be filled out and they refuse to just hand me the darn paper (our last name is a doozie too and I hate spelling it to them 4 times r-e-a-l-l-y sloooooowly). Almost without fail they spell it Angle. People with PhD's spell it Angle! These were one of my 2nd grade spelling list words angel/angle....

The one who gets it the worst at our house though is our dog Escher (like the artist M.C. Escher). But he gets called Asher and Usher (like the rap artist) all the time. I have corrected my neighbor approximately 100 times and she still says one of the other two names. :banghead:

Sorry to all the Laura/Lora gals out there...I'm sure I muddle that all the time. I also can't say collar/color without serious concentration and it took years for my Appalachian mind to wrap my mind around the slight difference in the two.

I'm with Camibami on this -- it just doesn't bother me all that much when my name gets mangled. There were almost no Abbeys when I was growing up (though the name started gaining popularity when I was in my mid-to-late teens). I've been called Amy, Ashley, Happy, and a jillion other things. :) And *spelling*! Abby, Abbie, Abbé, Abi, Aby, and more...

People who actually *know* me get it right (well, maybe not the spelling, hehe), and people who mangle it when we first meet? Either I won't see them again, or they'll learn as they get to know me better... And if they continue to come up with creative spellings? Nah, I just don't care.

My kids get called all sorts of interesting things too. Again, if it's someone we'll never see again, it just doesn't matter, and if we do get to know them better, they learn eventually...

Well, you should try being named Genevieve. People mispronounce it so horribly that I'm grateful when they shorten it to Gen.

Do you pronounce it with a crisp J sound - like, say, the start of Jacket - or the softer french J, like in Jacques? I've heard it both ways :)

(and it's one of my fave names:D)

As for my own name-stuff ---- ha. My Canadian parents, both of whom have perfectly normal ordinary names, thought it would be fun to name their oldest daughter after a US city. They called me 'Cheyenne' ~ and I grew up being called Sharlene, Shawna, Shannon, Charmaine, even - compliments of my grade eight science teacher, all year - Champagne. :tongue_smilie:

Spelling ~ people tend to either go with Shyann, Shianne, Shian, etc - or they assume that it must have a really strange spelling and they try out something like Zhiyain.

Edited by fivetails

The hardest name to me for years to pronounce was the nick-name form of Kathleen/Katherine etc. "Kathy". I'd pronounce it "Kate-y", simply could not get into my mind why someone would want to be called "catty"....(Btw I love the name Kathleen so why chang ethat??).

I am not a natural born speaker, speak pretty well, but I do have some mistakes with basic names. On the other hand then nobody basically pronounce our names properly or take the time to actually read them and listen to the way they are said -and we spent a good deal of time choosing easy-to-say names...!

My name Nadia was always prnounced Naaahdia (which I *hate*) until I learned how to make my a so flat wen intorducing myself. Occasionally I mention the gymnast and people get my name right away (not that exotic after all!). With my kids, forget it. Here in New England their "a"s all get flattened totally even though they should be pronounced very open!!!! One dd has the name Deema and people just change that to Deena!!

Whatever! If you don't care about pronouncing our names while you can pronounce all those funny Irish names spelled twnety diferent ways, then what can I do??[/QUOTE]

This is unkind.

My name is Shauna, but it has been misspelled and misprounounced so many times I either get irritated or ignore it, depending on my mood. It's pronounced Shaw-nah, not Shah-oona, and it's with a U, not a W or N. :glare: I've also been Shannon, Sharon, Shayna, Shanna (shan-uh, though I had a friend named Shanna pronounced shaw-nah), Shayla, Charlotte, and Sherry, to name a few. Some people think it's cute to call me Shah-nah-nah. It's not, and they don't seem to understand when I tell them so. <sigh> We won't even go into last names. My maiden name was German and had 4 syllables. No one could spell it. I thought going to a 1 syllable English name would make things better, but no. I've been given just as many different last names as first names. :001_huh:

On a funnier note, my coworkers and I keep notes on how badly people misspell our names on faxes. One coworker, Melanie, has been Melone, Mallory, Mella B., Melody, Melondy, Melanni, Melony, Malani, and Melinda.