Menu

Saille!

Astrid, I love your name, too!

Saille, I'm sorry your name is constantly misspelled.

Mine is often mispronounced. I didn't think Laura was a difficult one, but apparently many (read most) people think it is pronounced Lora. Oh.I.don't.like.that. It's Law-rah. :)

My mother's entire family (and its HUGE), bless thier hearts, have called me Laurie or Lori for ever. It used to drive me absolutely insane. As a child, as a teen, I made it very clear that was not my name, but nothing ever changed. Its not like we're estranged - we are all quite close, in fact. I recieve Christmas cards, wedding invitations, everything with one of those spellings of Laurie on it. Even gifts FOR MY OWN wedding came with her name on it.:glare:

I see now that I have no right to complain. At least they were close. Astrid, I'm sorry. (I read your post early this morning and had to clean a coffee spurt off my computer screen!)

Edited by LauraGB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay - I'm glad I'm not the only one who laughed at Asrid's mesage! Sorry Astrid. I never would've called you that IRL. It just made me giggle today.

I'm with those who don't mind, I guess. My name is rarely messed up. Sometimes it's shortened to Jenn. I don't mind.

My dd's name is Margaret, but we call her Meg. She is constantly called Maggie or Megan. She's been able to correct people politely. I sure hope she doesn't resent her name (or people who mess it up!) when she's older!!

My older boys are called each others names all the time! They HATE that!!! But, they look so much alike, people are always confusing them.

Oh - and my sister is Laura. I also don't hear the difference between Lora and Laura.

How do you pronounce it? Here is a link to my dd saying Lauren. Is that not how you say it?

BTW I made that recording because there was a thread on here about William being two syllable or three. :001_huh: My ds and I clearly say Will EE UM but will clap 2 syllables Will YUM. And dd didn't want to be left out so I tacked her on there.

ETA: do you mean they say it in a way that rhymes with Star-En... then that would bug me too. :) If it's Lor-en to rhyme with Store-En, then we say it wrong! :eek:

LOL :lol:

Yep, it's supposed to sound like "Star-en", but sometimes we hear it pronounced like "Law-ren". I considered spelling it without the u (Laren), but I figured that would definitely be mispronounced.

I'm not sure why, but it has always irritated her to hear it pronounced like "Lor-en", or "Store-en". I think maybe it's just a regional thing. I just remind her that it can be pronounced either way. She's just going to have to get over it, because not everyone is from the south. :D

This thread cracks me up!

My name gets mispronounced all the time, too. It sounds the same as "carry" but people often pronounce it "CAR-ee".

Our last name is very unusual and I don't want to share it here. But the mispronunciations are insane. The one that gets me the most is that it's a two-syllable name. But most people just sound out the first one! Anyone who learned the most basic phonics should be able to figure out that it has two syllables. So aggravating...I always want to say, "The second syllable isn't silent!" LOL

This has been the most hilarious thread!!!! Who knew there were so many ways to mispronounce all of our names!

I have a very boring name--Amy. But it's spelled Aimee. Who knew there were so many ways to misspell it? :001_huh::lol:

:lol: Your name is NOT boring! It's one of my favorites!

My oldest dd's name is Aimee. Whenever someone spells it wrong she's so kind to them. She'll let them know, but that it's no big deal. When people share her name, but it's spelled Amy, she'll say to me, "Mom, her name is Aimee/Amy too! But she spells it the wrong way." I guess I didn't make my kid's lives any easier than my Mom made mine, huh?:lol:

While we're at it, Carrie is the same 'a' sound as apple. It's not Ker-y. It's not cair/care-y.

I had to work to figure this one out. I mean, Carrie rhymes with "hairy," "scary," "fairy," etc. anywhere I've ever lived. So I tried to put the a in apple with Carrie, and it took me a couple of times to get it. Then I saw that you were in New Jersey and that explained everything!

:)

I have a friend with a Larren (rhymes with Warren, which is not pronounced Wor-ren--I had to work on that, too), an Aaron, and an Erik. She is amazed that people make Aaron and Erik sound so alike. Coming from the midwest and living now in the south, I have no idea what she is talking about . . .

Regional accents are so funny . . . we must make things so difficult on people who come to the US and try to learn our language!

Edited by mom2att

My grandfather could not ever say my cousin's name correctly. Her name is Ashley and he would always say Atchly. My father never had trouble with this name until my grandfather died. I promise...he nows calls the poor girl Atchly every. single. time!

Also, my middle son's name starts with a Wh and my dad pronounces it with so much force that he frequently whistles when saying his name. He has gotten much better, but I do have friends that have had to walk away with tears in their eyes from laughing!

Edited by Jan in SC

:lol: Your name is NOT boring! It's one of my favorites!

My oldest dd's name is Aimee. Whenever someone spells it wrong she's so kind to them. She'll let them know, but that it's no big deal. When people share her name, but it's spelled Amy, she'll say to me, "Mom, her name is Aimee/Amy too! But she spells it the wrong way." I guess I didn't make my kid's lives any easier than my Mom made mine, huh?:lol:

That is too sweet!!!! :)

Sadly, I just patiently, repeatedly correct them. :lol:

Dd12 is 'Cindy' ~ JUST Cindy. Not Cynthia - she even had a teacher back when she was in ps who tried to convince her that her name *must* be Cynthia. Like the kid didn't know her own name eh? :tongue_smilie:

I can sympathize -- I'm a Jenny, not a Jennifer. I usually introduce myself as Jen, sometimes as Jenny, but inevitably get called Jennifer. It really drives me bonkers.

I worked with a girl named Merry from the midwest and everyone (this was in NYC) called her Merry (like Ferry) because that is how it is spelled! Well... she pronounced it Mary!! As if Merry and Mary were homophones :lol:

She always had to correct people from saying Meh-Ree.

Apparently, she says Merry Christmas that sounds like Mary Christmas! wow. :)

I had to work to figure this one out. I mean, Carrie rhymes with "hairy," "scary," "fairy," etc. anywhere I've ever lived. So I tried to put the a in apple with Carrie, and it took me a couple of times to get it. Then I saw that you were in New Jersey and that explained everything!

Amen! A friend at church is from "up north" and we have had the most fun comparing how we say the same names. Her sister is Carrie - sounds so much more exotic from a New Yorker! And less likely to be called Hairy Carrie!

I worked with a girl named Merry from the midwest and everyone (this was in NYC) called her Merry (like Ferry) because that is how it is spelled! Well... she pronounced it Mary!! As if Merry and Mary were homophones :lol:

She always had to correct people from saying Meh-Ree.

Apparently, she says Merry Christmas that sounds like Mary Christmas! wow. :)

How do you pronounce Mary?

In my world, Merry and Mary *are* homophones.

LOL :lol:

Yep, it's supposed to sound like "Star-en", but sometimes we hear it pronounced like "Law-ren". I considered spelling it without the u (Laren), but I figured that would definitely be mispronounced.

I'm not sure why, but it has always irritated her to hear it pronounced like "Lor-en", or "Store-en". I think maybe it's just a regional thing. I just remind her that it can be pronounced either way. She's just going to have to get over it, because not everyone is from the south. :D

OK, when I think of a SOUTHERN accent saying Lauren (Lar-en) it sounds right. :D If you called a Lauren *Lar-en* here in NJ/NY, it would sound like you were trying out a southern accent.

Astrid, I love your name, too!

Saille, I'm sorry your name is constantly misspelled.

Mine is often mispronounced. I didn't think Laura was a difficult one, but apparently many (read most) people think it is pronounced Lora. Oh.I.don't.like.that. It's Law-rah. :)

Interesting. All the Lauras I've known have pronounced it "Lora." Those who pronounced it "Law-rah" spelled it Lara.

My name is Andrea, and I'm called "AWN-dree-uh" a lot, rather than "AN-dree-uh" but it only bothers me when it's someone who should know better. There was a girl in college who INTENTIONALLY pronounced it wrong, citing as her reason when my best friend confronted her that "Only hicks are named 'AN-dree-uh' where I'm from.":001_huh: Yeah, she was a jerk. Her name was Laura, if you can believe it! My friend started calling her "Law-rah" after that, but she never caught on as to why!

My name is Stephanie. How do you mispronounce that?

My entire adult life, people who don't know me well have called me....

Jennifer.

I am not making this up. DH and I laugh about this regularly. Maybe it's because I am from a generation of Jennifers (my 3rd grade classroom had 4). But still - since when does "Stephanie" sound like "Jennifer"?

So confused. Mary sounds like Merry and rhymes with Fairy which sounds like Ferry. Which, incidentally, sounds like Carrie, which I can't manage to pronounce with the "a" as in apple.

What gets me is people who give their kids a common name but pronounce it wrong and then correct everyone else. Don't spell it "Mike" if you want it pronounced "Meekah" (unless you're actually from another country where it really is pronounced that way).

My mom wanted to name me Laura but my dad kept pronouncing it Lora even though his name is Lawrence, which does not sound like Lorrence. Go figure.

So they named me Aisling, which I just go ahead and spell Ashleen for people online so they don't call me Ass-sling.

So confused. Mary sounds like Merry and rhymes with Fairy which sounds like Ferry. Which, incidentally, sounds like Carrie, which I can't manage to pronounce with the "a" as in apple.

What gets me is people who give their kids a common name but pronounce it wrong and then correct everyone else. Don't spell it "Mike" if you want it pronounced "Meekah" (unless you're actually from another country where it really is pronounced that way).

My mom wanted to name me Laura but my dad kept pronouncing it Lora even though his name is Lawrence, which does not sound like Lorrence. Go figure.

So they named me Aisling, which I just go ahead and spell Ashleen for people online so they don't call me Ass-sling.

:lol:

I agree!!!

New confession. In my world, Ferry and Fairy are homophones too.:lol:

:smilielol5: Fairy rhymes with scary and Ferry rhymes with... cherry?? :lol: (Don't tell me you pronounce that as Chair-EE)!

:D:D Fairy does not sound like Ferry, so it can't sound like Carrie and I can't pronounce it with an "a" as in apple either! Clear? :lol:

:eek:

scary hairy prairie mary

cheh ree, beh ree, feh ree, meh ree.

cherry, berry, ferry, merry.

;) :D

I think I understand now. I never knew that we were so off with our pronunciation in the Midwest. I say all of those words the same. I think I need to get the OPG or AAS audio tape now. Maybe I can sound like Eliza Doolittle after the lessons.;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My dd's name is Margaret, but we call her Meg.

My Margaret is Margaret (although I wanted her to be a Meg, her initials are even Meg, but she wants Margaret ... or Mar from little children is OK) And people always spell it wrong! We do tend to say it as two syllables, but it is regularly spelled Margret. I've been trying to emphasize the Mar-ga-ret more recently.

My Nate's full name is Nathaniel, but we introduce him as "Nate or Nathaniel" and people *always* call him Nathan. I don't know why, but it drives me crazy.

My 6 year old is so frustrated with people mispronouncing her name ("Hello! It's a SOFT G! Why don't people understand that Mom?!"), she introduces herself as, "Gillian with a G, some people use a J, but we use a G and it's a soft G because it's before an I."

:001_smile:

I can see why it would be confusing. I can think of several g words with an i as the second letter where it is pronounced the hard g sound (gift, Gilbert, gill, gilded etc)

I can relate though. I've been called every name that rhymes with Darla (and Darlene!) all my life. I've even been called Leisa (I live in a small town. That's my sister--and we don't look alike. :glare:).

One of the names I have a hard time pronouncing when I first look at it is Ceilidh (the Gaelic for Kaylee). It throws me off every.single.time...though I think it is really cool. I just find myself wanting to say "Celia" and "Cedelia" (like Amelia Bedelia) before I remember to pronounce it "Kaylee."

I would have pronounced it sealid (looks a lot like "ceiling"). :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This thread is cracking me up.

I just read the Cindy/Cynthia and Jenny/Jennifer posts and it made me think of my sister...

Her name is Shelly. That is what it says on her birth certificate. Not Michelle, just Shelly. Sooooo many people tried to convince her that her name must really be Michelle, and that Shelly was a just a nickname. She even had a teacher once who insisted on calling her "Michelle" because she didn't use nicknames in her classroom. My mother had to go in and straighten her out. :D

And there is no second "e" in her name, either, like "Shelley". I think most people spell it that way, but my mom didn't. I think my mom should have gone ahead and stuck that second "e" in there so that my sis wouldn't keep having to correct the misspellings...

They all sound the same to me! ~ merry, mary, carrie, kerry, fairy, ferry, hairy, harry, scary, cherry, prairie, wary, berry, larry, dairy, and so on.... all rhyme, all sound the same minus the first letter/s! *confuzzled* :lol:

... they all sound the same to me. Maybe it is because here in Colorado we don't have accents. LOL

Well, while we are at it...I can't stand when I tell someone my name is Rebecca and they immediately respond, "nice to meet you, Becky." Ugh! If I wanted to be called "Becky," perhaps I would have used that name in my introductions, signatures, etc.

I agree :banghead:

I hate this too!

My name is Bethany. It is not, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be, Beth.

No one calls me that. No one. I don't like it. My name is Bethany, thankyouverymuch.

So, when someone calls me 'Beth', I always have this same line of thinking run through my head:

Number one, if I wanted you to call me Beth, that is what I would have introduced myself as. But I didn't, now did I? I told you my name is Bethany.

Number two, everyone who 'knows' me knows that I go by Bethany, NOT Beth.

Number three, don't you think you should be at least a good acquaintance of someone before you decide to call them by a name they didn't introduce themeself as? And, if you were more than just a stranger to me, you would KNOW that I don't like being called Beth. So, either way, you're outta line.

Ugh. It's a pet peeve. Bethany. Not Beth. Never Beth. I don't know Beth, I don't answer to Beth. I just don't recognize it as my name.

So this is what I THINK when someone calls me Beth. But what I DO depends on the situation. If the person is someone who I'll likely not see/talk to ever again, I don't say anything. But if the person is someone I even suspect I may come into contact with on any sort of regular basis, I correct them politely. I say something like 'I'm sorry, I go by Bethany, not Beth. Just a pesonal preference'.

Both Moose and Zee have short, four letter first names that I didn't think you could make a nickname for. Well, guess what. Moose actually has a shortened version of his name as a nickname (in addition to Moose, which is actually a nickname we call him, LOL. It really fits him. Zee, on the other had, is not Zee's nickname at all. Just a cute screen name for him, 'cause it goes with Moose. You know, from Noggin. :D)

They all sound the same to me! ~ merry, mary, carrie, kerry, fairy, ferry, hairy, harry, scary, cherry, prairie, wary, berry, larry, dairy, and so on.... all rhyme, all sound the same minus the first letter/s! *confuzzled* :lol:

Really? For me these lists sound the same:

merry, kerry, ferry, cherry berry (short 'e')

mary, fairie, hairy, scary, prairie, wary, dairy (long 'a')

carrie, harry, larrie (short 'a')

Laura

:confused:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a rat's patootie how my name is mangled?

Nope, you are not! LOL Especially in the online world - I just don't care at all what people call me. Those who know me are the only ones that matter and they do get it right. My maiden name was "Read" and it was always misspelled unless you knew me. :001_smile: