Menu

Saille!

They all sound the same to me! ~ merry, mary, carrie, kerry, fairy, ferry, hairy, harry, scary, cherry, prairie, wary, berry, larry, dairy, and so on.... all rhyme, all sound the same minus the first letter/s! *confuzzled* :lol:

Really? For me these lists sound the same:

merry, kerry, ferry, cherry berry (short 'e')

mary, fairie, hairy, scary, prairie, wary, dairy (long 'a')

carrie, harry, larrie (short 'a')

Laura

Okay, I'm sitting here trying to say them your way and my mouth just will. not. do. this. :lol:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 3rd born gets the immediate nickname bit. Dittoing the previous 'ughs' on that...if we called him by the shortened name I would have introduced him in that manner..thank you very much.

Thanks for the pronunciation of your name Saille...I never would have gotten that on my own. :)

Oh, I must admit, I am one who has problems distinguishing differences...such as in the list above. Lora/Laura included ... and I have to work at Don/Dawn :blush:

Edited by ~Tara~

You guys are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Here I am, stuck in the NO metro area, where everyone thinks we sound like Alabama or Lafayette!!!!!!! This accent discussion is totally cracking me up!!!

I love it!! Keep going!! :D

Me too! I do think it is regionally different. The whole Mary, Carrie, Ferry, Fairy thing - they are all pronounced the same here in CA. LOL I can understand why Laura Corin pronounces them differently as a Brit because they do say things completely differently than many in the US. I love the way they speak!

This part of the thread is really a crack-up. :D

So confused. Mary sounds like Merry and rhymes with Fairy which sounds like Ferry. Which, incidentally, sounds like Carrie, which I can't manage to pronounce with the "a" as in apple.

What gets me is people who give their kids a common name but pronounce it wrong and then correct everyone else. Don't spell it "Mike" if you want it pronounced "Meekah" (unless you're actually from another country where it really is pronounced that way).

My mom wanted to name me Laura but my dad kept pronouncing it Lora even though his name is Lawrence, which does not sound like Lorrence. Go figure.

So they named me Aisling, which I just go ahead and spell Ashleen for people online so they don't call me Ass-sling.

:lol::lol: I love your name and the spelling, but I am so glad you let us know how to pronounce it.

I can see why it would be confusing. I can think of several g words with an i as the second letter where it is pronounced the hard g sound (gift, Gilbert, gill, gilded etc)

I know, we make it worse too. We call her "Jill" but we spell it "Gill." Yes, I am officially a difficult parent :)

Gillian is the British spelling so I guess I could always say it's my Welsh heritage coming forward. I have no excuse for Aimee though:D

I had a friend named Diana. Her MIL bought her a pin (jewelry pin, handpainted) that said "Diane." MIL crossed out the e with a pen (ink pen) and wrote in an a, and gave her that as a Christmas present. LOL!

And I am always astonished at the difficulty people have spelling Cindy. I know there are acceptable variations, but if you don't know how one spells it, wouldn't you just go with plain ole C-i-n-d-y? Most people do not.

I'm LOL at Turd Head and Line. LOL!

Edited by Cindyg
Ack! Fixed pin/pen