Menu

s/o will you/your family get the swine flu vaccine?

Will you/your family get the swine flu vaccine?  

1. 1. Will you/your family get the swine flu vaccine?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Unsure - haven't made up my mind yet.
    • Not immediately...but if things get worse, I will/will consider it.

Given that the target risk group is different from the normal flu (kids and young adults) and with many cases hitting our area recently (100 ps kids so far), we will. The discussion on these boards regarding the adjuvent and statistics has helped in the decision, as was watching DS6 in the hospital with pneumonia last month.

Given that the target risk group is different from the normal flu (kids and young adults) and with many cases hitting our area recently (100 ps kids so far), we will. The discussion on these boards regarding the adjuvent and statistics has helped in the decision, as was watching DS6 in the hospital with pneumonia last month.

I remember when my oldest son was hit with the flu in 2003. He was 4 and we almost lost him. It was the Fujan strain. It scared me so much that we have gotten regular season flu shots since then. The "rushing" of the H1N1 vaccine is what scares me...that and the limited information available. It is still very much a guessing game with regards to so many variables. I do know that I never want to see another child as sick as my older son was with the flu.

Heck no, the last one killed more people than the swine flu did.

Exactly!

We won't be getting the vaccine unless people are literally dropping dead around me from swine flu. I just watched a short video that was sent to me on email about this vax having thimerasol in it too and that even some of the people making the thing were not going to get it themselves.

This is at the very top of my mind since I'm newly pregnant. I haven't made a decision. I'm in a position where I can significantly limit my interaction with others if there are many cases in my community, so that makes me feel a little better. I'm using a midwife and planning a homebirth, so I won't be in spending much time in busy doctor's offices or hospitals.

It's a scary bug for pregnant ladies, but I'm not sold on the vaccine yet either. ::sigh:: I guess this is a good introduction to the challenging decisions that are to come with parenthood.

I have it right now. I'm very high risk and have had pneumonia 9 times. Yesterday when I first felt symptoms, I went in to the doc and got an rx for tamiflu and prophy abx ( bc it always turns into bacterial pneumonia when I start w a simple viral uri) This illness is vv mild for most folks (me incl) and the tamiflu kicked in before it could get bad for me. 36h later, I am at 100%.

I'm also taking v high doses of d, just got my d blood test results back and have ideal d blood levels, have been doing the green tea, pomegranate, aspirin, zinc etc to help in other ways.

So far so good....... But also recognizing it can change quickly.

K

I am not trying to have a vaccine debate or anything...just curious how the majority feels. I am on the fence and feeling really torn about it.

This is a new site to me. I thought this article on swine flu math made a lot of sense. Here is a quote from the article.

Doing the math on the swine flu vaccine reveals some astonishing numbers. Even if you believe the vaccine works, it turns out you'd have to vaccinate 200,000 people to prevent the death of just one person from swine flu. And vaccinating 200,000 people would probably result in the harm or death of several just from the vaccine side effects.

I did the math on the vaccine, and it turns out you have a 40 times greater chance of being struck by lightning than being saved by the swine flu vaccine. Check out the full story here: http://www.naturalnews.com/026955_swine_flu_vaccines_flu_vaccines.html

The swine flu vaccine is a live virus vax. I will be staying away from anyone who recieves the vaccine.

Exactly!

We won't be getting the vaccine unless people are literally dropping dead around me from swine flu. I just watched a short video that was sent to me on email about this vax having thimerasol in it too and that even some of the people making the thing were not going to get it themselves.

A friend of mine in one of my local HS groups talked about the chicken pox vax. She said that one of the developers of the Chicken Pox vax brought her children over to her house for the chicken pox party. She wouldn't let her children receive the vaccine.:001_huh:

I have asthma. Even a simple cold can turn into a real problem for me. I always get a seasonal flu shot, and from the information I have received from family and friends in the health care field, there will be h1n1 vaccine without thimerosal available. So I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this one.

-Robin

Yes, four family members with various levels and types of asthma.

This is a new site to me. I thought this article on swine flu math made a lot of sense. Here is a quote from the article.

The swine flu vaccine is a live virus vax. I will be staying away from anyone who recieves the vaccine.

It is NOT a live virus vax.

The article makes this claim.

vaccines might at most be credited with preventing 1% of flu deaths during any given flu season (and that's being very generous to the vaccine).
According to WHO,
The most effective way to prevent the disease or severe outcomes from the illness is vaccination. Safe and effective vaccines have been available and used for more than 60 years. Among healthy adults, influenza vaccine can prevent 70% to 90% of influenza-specific illness. Among the elderly, the vaccine reduces severe illnesses and complications by up to 60%, and deaths by 80%.

I'm still collecting information, but probably at least I will get the vaccine. I don't know about the rest of the family. I have asthma and was out of commission this past spring with the seasonal flu and resultant complications for about 6 weeks. I'd rather not do that again anytime soon. Ds had a seizure after the last flu vaccine, and even though there's not necessarily a connection between the vaccine and the seizure I am hesitant to do flu vaccines with him. Besides which, he has an iron clad immune system and is rarely ever ill even when the rest of the family is down and out with something ever-so-very contagious. But I don't know. Still collecting information.

I know the yearly flu vaccine is not, is this one different?

This one is grown in eggs as well, but there is a different vaccine in the works that isn't.

As far as egg allergy goes,

Flu Vaccine Safe for Egg-Allergic Kids

Concerns About Serious Adverse Reactions Called Outdated After 2 New Studies

By Charlene Laino

WebMD Health News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

March 19, 2008 (Philadelphia) -- The flu vaccine can safely be given to kids who have an egg allergy, two new studies suggest.

Because the flu vaccine contains egg protein, the CDC doesn't recommend it for people with severe allergies to chicken eggs. And most doctors are reluctant to give flu shots to people with milder egg allergies as well.

Their concerns are outdated, says researcher Audrey Park, MD, PhD, an allergist at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

"Children with egg allergies, even those who have had severe anaphylactic reactions, can safely receive influenza vaccine," she tells WebMD.

The research was presented here at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI).

Building Up Tolerance

Egg allergy is very common in childhood, affecting nearly two of every 100 kids, Park says.

She and colleagues studied 45 children, aged 11 months to 9 years, who got the vaccine at their clinic in 2006. All were allergic to eggs; two had had severe anaphylactic reactions after eating them.

As recommended by the American Pediatrics Association, the kids were given skin prick tests to determine if they were allergic to the vaccine.

Children who were not allergic were given a full dose of the flu shot.

Kids who were allergic to the vaccine were injected with three to four smaller, escalating doses until they had received the full dose. The idea is that by starting with small amounts of the allergen and building up, the patient becomes desensitized and tolerance develops, Park explains.

Only Mild Allergic Reactions Observed

Park says that two-thirds of the children had no adverse reactions at all.

All but one of the other children had mild reactions at the site of the injection, such as itchiness or redness. One child developed diffuse hives over the whole body.

The second study involved 115 children, aged 9 months to 13 years, with egg allergies who got flu shots. Two-thirds of them also had asthma.

About half got the vaccine as a single dose.

None of the children developed serious allergic reactions, says researcher Simon Hotte, MD, of Montreal Children's Hospital. Six kids had minor reactions at the injection site that quickly went away.

Fewer Than 30% of Kids Vaccinated

Park says she hopes the results will persuade more parents to get their kids vaccinated.

Currently, fewer than 30% of children are inoculated, she says.

The flu can kill a child with a chronic health condition like asthma, Park says.

"If your child has egg allergies, ask your primary care physician for a referral to an allergist for skin testing and desensitization, if needed," she says.

Wesley Burkes, MD, chairman of the committee that chose which studies would be highlighted at the meeting and a professor of pediatrics at Duke University, Durham, N.C., says the results are very promising.

"We shouldn't be telling egg-allergic patients -- children or adults -- that they can't take the vaccine," he tells WebMD.

"By doing skin testing or other diagnostic tests when patients come in, we can determine on an individual basis who can tolerate the whole dose at once and who can't. Egg-allergic individuals can safely get the vaccine with appropriate management," he says.

Burkes adds that egg-allergic people should be tested annually, as the amount of egg protein in each year's batch may vary.

It is NOT a live virus vax.

The article makes this claim.

According to WHO,

The Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy disagrees with WHO.

The study, by Canadian researchers who evaluated data from patients admitted to six Capital Health hospitals in Alberta, appeared in the Sep 1 issue of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

It revealed no statistical difference between in-hospital mortality rates of elderly patients receiving seasonal flu vaccination and of those not vaccinated.

It is the latest among a handful of recent studies that have cast doubt on the benefits of flu vaccines for older people and may call for a reexamination of public policy on flu vaccination among the elderly. A study that appeared in the Aug 2 issue of The Lancet suggested that the vaccine's ability to protect the group from pneumonia was less than expected.

I don't know. My son has a lung disease. He's been hospitalized with viruses twice, once was RSV, the other one was something random. We usually do get all flu shots to prevent him from getting sick. He only has around 75% lung capacity as it is.

This is sort of us too. My ds was a preemie (29 weeker) and is very small for his age. He is now 5 and usually pretty bulletproof with most colds and strep, but since he has asthma, I am thinking that we should do it. I also care for my elderly in-laws and am thinking that because of them and ds, we should all get it.

I just CAN'T STAND all the conflicting information. I am not up for reading all the medical reports and it just seems so confusing to the average person.:confused:

To be honest I trust our pediatrician implicitly and if they tell me it's a good idea, then we will do it.

UGH! My son spent last spring 1/2 blind and in the hospital from the menengitis booster. The doctors *say* he had that reaction because he *must* have an underlying autoimmune problem. So...

A. I'm afraid of vaccines now.

B. I'm afraid of NOT getting the flu vaccine if he has an underlying immune problem.

:confused1:

UGH! My son spent last spring 1/2 blind and in the hospital from the menengitis booster. The doctors *say* he had that reaction because he *must* have an underlying autoimmune problem. So...

A. I'm afraid of vaccines now.

B. I'm afraid of NOT getting the flu vaccine if he has an underlying immune problem.

:confused1:

:grouphug: I am so sorry. I would suggest that you take him to a Naturopath and see what they can do. I have a friend who takes her children to a Naturopath and she has something that she gives them instead of immunizations. I need to call her about it and find out what it is.

No, not now, not near noon, not nine o'clock, not next Novermber, not now, not ever, NEVER!

For those who are vulnerable, please look into natural alternatives. Colloidal silver, oil of oregano, lomatium, elderberry, vitamin c, raw garlic, raw onions, omega fatty acid foods, vitamin d, essential oils of eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, clove, rosemary, no refined sugar, etc.

Here's some good articles by Dr. Mercola:

http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2009/07/15/What-are-the-Dangers-of-Mandatory-Swine-Flu-Vaccination.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu.aspx

Edited by Devotional Soul

The Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy disagrees with WHO.

There has been lots of discussion in the recent past about how effective vaccines are in the elderly. It is clear that they don't work as well as they do in younger people, because older folks seem to have less immune response. This is the main reason for the big push to vaccinate kids and younger people. Vaccinating kids would decrease the rate of transmission of flu and protect the elderly, who get less benefit from the shot.

But the degree to which the elderly are protected really isn't known, and there are many conflicting studies. Here's one:

NEJM

Effectiveness of Influenza Vaccine in the Community-Dwelling Elderly

Kristin L. Nichol, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A., James D. Nordin, M.D., M.P.H., David B. Nelson, Ph.D., John P. Mullooly, Ph.D., and Eelko Hak, Ph.D.

ABSTRACTBackground Reliable estimates of the effectiveness of influenza vaccine among persons 65 years of age and older are important for informed vaccination policies and programs. Short-term studies may provide misleading pictures of long-term benefits, and residual confounding may have biased past results. This study examined the effectiveness of influenza vaccine in seniors over the long term while addressing potential bias and residual confounding in the results.

Methods Data were pooled from 18 cohorts of community-dwelling elderly members of one U.S. health maintenance organization (HMO) for 1990–1991 through 1999–2000 and of two other HMOs for 1996–1997 through 1999–2000. Logistic regression was used to estimate the effectiveness of the vaccine for the prevention of hospitalization for pneumonia or influenza and death after adjustment for important covariates. Additional analyses explored for evidence of bias and the potential effect of residual confounding.

Results There were 713,872 person-seasons of observation. Most high-risk medical conditions that were measured were more prevalent among vaccinated than among unvaccinated persons. Vaccination was associated with a 27% reduction in the risk of hospitalization for pneumonia or influenza (adjusted odds ratio, 0.73; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.68 to 0.77) and a 48% reduction in the risk of death (adjusted odds ratio, 0.52; 95% CI, 0.50 to 0.55). Estimates were generally stable across age and risk subgroups. In the sensitivity analyses, we modeled the effect of a hypothetical unmeasured confounder that would have caused overestimation of vaccine effectiveness in the main analysis; vaccination was still associated with statistically significant — though lower — reductions in the risks of both hospitalization and death.

Conclusions During 10 seasons, influenza vaccination was associated with significant reductions in the risk of hospitalization for pneumonia or influenza and in the risk of death among community-dwelling elderly persons. Vaccine delivery to this high-priority group should be improved.

I think WHO's 80% claim is too high, and Natural News' claim of 1% is too low. For young adults and kids, it would be higher than for the elderly .

One thing really jumps out at me regarding the study you cited. They only looked at deaths during the flu non-season. I don't know why they did it, but it's well known that the vaccine is often only good for a few months. After that time, either immunity wanes, or the flu has mutated and isn't covered by the vaccine anymore. I wouldn't expect much protection from the vaccine 9 months later. A similar study that looks at seasonal flu makes more sense.

I work in a pharmacy so I will get exposed and will probably get it.

DD2 goes to a large commercial daycare so she will get exposed.

Ds15 will be at a large public high school (2000 students), on a sports team comprised of students from all high schools, competes on a chess team (lots of people/small space) so he will get exposed.

Dh is in sales and works in a large corporate building and goes into 60+ different stores, flies for work and will get exposed.

Due to my job, I may get vaccinated.

I will consider each other family member separately.

FYI: I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but it is a series of 2 vaccines given a month apart, and they can't be given with the other flu shot. To get the regular flu shot and the H1N1 will require 3 visits and most likely 3 co-pays/administrations fees.

This whole subject makes me want to cry with frustration. :( The facts are never clear, even the swine flu death rate facts aren't crystal clear. I know that either way I go, I could end up regretting it. This is a tough decision for us...and the fact that dh acts like it is a zit or something we are all likely to get, it is tough to talk to him about it.

Thank you to all who have weighed in.

The kids and I will probably not get the vaccine. We are not in the high risk categories. My husband is in the high risk category (lung issues and very over weight) he might get the vaccine. It totally depends on how when the vaccine comes out and when the swine flue gets seriously active around here.

This whole subject makes me want to cry with frustration. :( The facts are never clear, even the swine flu death rate facts aren't crystal clear. I know that either way I go, I could end up regretting it. This is a tough decision for us...and the fact that dh acts like it is a zit or something we are all likely to get, it is tough to talk to him about it.

Thank you to all who have weighed in.

:iagree:With DH's attitude and all. I think that DH and DD have it now, but DH doesn't believe me.

No for us, at least until or unless we see clear reason to get it.

We as a family have all had three different illnesses this summer that fit the symptom profile they are talking about for H1N1 now. :confused: Maybe we've had it?

If we haven't had it already, there's a very good chance we will before the vaccine is available. My husband works for Wake Forest Univ. on the medical school campus. The media are reporting today that there are at least 100 cases of H1N1 on the main WFU campus. People are back and forth between campuses all the time; it will be at the med school before we know it.

The med school employees have a flu protocol to follow to try to avoid spreading it. But since the symptoms are so vague in some cases it's possible that it is already spreading there. My husband is not in patient care, so he will be on the lowest tier to receive vaccination...there will probably be supply issues, so they will start by protecting the patients via vaccinating patient care employees first.

I'm in the undecided camp.

I"m hoping Perry can way in on my question but I'd love thoughts from others.

My question is: how does the regular flu vaccine differ from the H1n1? what I'm trying to figure out is: each year they come out with a new flu vaccine due to new variations in the regular (non-h1n1) flu. So, is the h1n1 vaccine made similarly to the regular annual flu vaccine with the h1n1 in it or is it a totally different vaccine?

I'm really not sure this question is clear. So, I'll clarify if I need to.

My biggest question is "why are younger people dying of it?" Are they seeing the cytokine (sp) storm thing now with this flu...or is it more that younger people are less likely to go to the dr until it gets really bad and they they are too far gone? If it is the latter, then I can be diligent. If it is the former, well, that scares me. How do you prevent cytokine storm? My older son and I have not been sick with so much as even a COLD in almost a 18 months. The last illness he had was when he was in 3rd grade and got a sinus infection that was hard to get rid of on the first try with antibiotics. Round 2 did the trick. The last time I was sick was in March of 2008 and mine was a insane cough that was every 2 minutes and would not stop. I had to go get hydrocodone cough medicine from the dr to make it stop. But after that, nothing. My younger son gets sick easier and he had a stomach virus with vomiting at the end of the Spring. None of the rest of us got it. My dh has asthma - and it has been particularly bad lately with the change in seasons. I really worry about him too. But, of course, he is of the mentality that swine flu is about as dangerous as a zit, so a vaccine for just him is out of the question. Even if the rest of us got the vaccine, he wouldn't.

How do you prevent cytokine storm?

That's a really good question, considering that the 1918 Spanish flu killed more young healthy adults than the young and the old. Why? Because of cytokine storm...it turns the immune system against itself, so the stronger the immune system, the more harm that can be done.

So, like with all autoimmune diseases, the answer is ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods, the best being turmeric and foods high in omega fatty acids like flax seed oil and hemp oil. (Other things that I don't recommend are aspirin and fish oils.)

Here's an article that came out when the swine flu 'outbreak' in Mexico happened earlier this year, turmeric showed to be very helpful with recovery:

http://diseases-viruses.suite101.com/article.cfm/swine_flu_cytokine_storm_cures#ixzz0E0tUg4SP&A

Deaths from the Mexican influenza epidemic have the cytokine storm pattern of young, healthy adults. Inflammatory cytokines can be blocked by anti-inflammatory foods.

Anti-inflammatory Treatment for Swine Flu

Cytokine storms associated with sepsis and ARDS have been treated by forcing progression of the inflammatory process into its recovery phase. Some of the most effective approaches use recognizable anti-inflammatory compounds: aspirin, omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) and curcumin (turmeric).

So, eating an anti-inflammatory diet is actually more important as keeping your immune system strong! Eat turmeric everyday!

So, is the h1n1 vaccine made similarly to the regular annual flu vaccine with the h1n1 in it or is it a totally different vaccine?

Both the seasonal flu vax and the swine flu vax have thimerosal (mercury) and squalene (which most likely caused the Gulf War Syndrome), and eggs, but the swine flu vax has some bonus ingredients to take note of...diseased kidney flesh of African Green Monkeys that have incubated the virus.

Diseased African Monkeys Used to Make Swine Flu Vaccines; Private Military Contractor Holds Key Patents

http://www.naturalnews.com/026779_swine_flu_patents_vaccines.html

May God help us prevent mandatory vaccinations.

Edited by Devotional Soul