Menu

At the risk of being considered nuts here also

Oh yeah, y'all probably already think that at least half the time anyway, right? LOL

Okay, I was wondering if:

1) there is a social group for women interested in "womanly arts."

2) if anyone has any great websites for this

3) if there is anyone else aiming to be a superb 1930s wife rather than the a 21st century wife?

I'm thinking I want to make some changes to become closer to this rather than the direction I am. I don't know if I'll buy it hook, line, and sinker, but I have seen that others have been skeptical and came along to this line of thinking. I have friends that think I'm just plain nuts, but some of them are just entirely too independent and headstrong. I'm naturally less so. I WANT pretty traditional family roles.

Anyone? or am I just more nuts than I think?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have secretly always wanted to run around in high heels with a dainty apron, rock hard hair and perfect makeup, dusting with a collection of feathers. If you find it, I will come.

I think dh would absolutely love that. He likes the new pin-up girl look, except iho it's too trashy and not feminine enough. I have a feeling I might even get the occasional foot rub out of that.

I have secretly always wanted to run around in high heels with a dainty apron, rock hard hair and perfect makeup, dusting with a collection of feathers. If you find it, I will come.

I think dh would absolutely love that. He likes the new pin-up girl look, except iho it's too trashy and not feminine enough. I have a feeling I might even get the occasional foot rub out of that.

These are FIFTIES wives.

I believe that the OP was discussing THIRTIES wives. Think Auntie Em, but younger.

Okay, 1930s:

:lol: I will get this right eventually!

womenstyle.jpg

ETA I have done my research AW MAN, they snuck 20s in on me, the search was for 30s... I'll have to be a decade behind in fashion at this point, not that that would be anything new.

Sissy cowgirl shoes:

ts?t=4077525548553285394&pid=23104&ppid=23

Helmet Hair:ts?t=10270696782502618693&pid=23089&ppid=19

Excess makeup:

2blouseswebt.jpg

And for our horse riding friends:

1921designer_small.jpg

Edited by lionfamily1999

Ohhh, sign me up!!

I do not know of a social site if your talking about something like this . . . a message board (though if you find one I hope you let me know!) However, I do subcribe to a couple of domestic-y sites (sewing, embroidery, et c) and some of them have message boards.

There's pioneer thinking but it's not so great.

Sure, I know a bunch of homeschoolers like that. And even a few people around here in my real life as well. You might like to take a look at The Prudent Homemaker, she's pretty interesting. I don't know exactly what things you're talking about, but maybe this will fit the bill.

So if you start the social group and post it here, I'm sure a bunch of people would join.

http://www.magatsu.net/maritaltest/

Oooh, how would YOU rate as a 1930s wife/husband?

I'm not sure if this is the actual test, but apparently there WAS one and this is either a rip-off or an online version of the real thing (they claim it's the same test, but there's ones for husbands and from what I read they never mentioned a test for dhs).

ETA 86 "very superior" well la-tee-da!

Edited by lionfamily1999

For background:

Pollyanna

The 5 Little Peppers (might be too early, but I think it's a 30's ish lifestyle)

For instruction:

Whatever the county fair entry book is in your community (learn to make all the domestic arts items really, really well, and you're halfway there.)

The square foot gardening book (not really old, but effective in teaching growing your own produce)

The current edition of the Ball Mason canning book

Those Mennonite cookbooks for cooking from scratch. One is called "The More With Less Cookbook" and there is at least one sequel.

Edith Shaeffer's book on homemaking

Proverbs 31

I took that test last night and failed it miserably! But yes, that is the sort of thing I want to be. I found a couple books online (free) and bought another from amazon. I'm hoping/thinking they will help me see things differently in order to change my behavior to match (and probably change my behavior in order to finally see things differently).

There is an online class I tried to sign up for (daily and weekly assignments and such), but I haven't heard back yet. Maybe THEY heard how horrendously I scored and figure I'm hopeless?

I did find, on another site, a list of things to start with. Start small; progress, not perfection :)

As for the question about "from a christian/secular perspective." I'm actually open to either. I'm a strong Bible believing Christian, but sometimes secular things outline things in more detail and I think I need as much help as humanly possible!

I took the quiz and got an 88.

Oops! I'm definitely guilty of this: "Puts her cold feet on husband at night to warm them."

Does " Reacts with pleasure and delight to marital congress" make up for it?:lol:

Hah! I'm the only one I know in my life that even desires to be a good homemaker. By many in my generation, I'm scorned for not having "a real job". Oh dear. (I'm a weirdo that even likes spinning her own yarn and making homemade ice cream... What a fuddy-duddy!):blush:

I collect knitting patterns, sewing patterns, etiquette books, and home magazines from this era. They are simultaneously entertaining and comforting! (The ads are a riot!)

I took that test last night and failed it miserably! But yes, that is the sort of thing I want to be...I'm hoping/thinking they will help me see things differently in order to change my behavior to match (and probably change my behavior in order to finally see things differently).

I am unsure what you're trying to "change". I don't mean to pry (so feel free not to answer) :) , but I'm not sure how best to address your question/concerns? What sorts of womanly arts? The quiz posted did not have much to do with womanly arts (at least how I define them).

By the way, I love your idea. I am very much attracted to learning "womanly arts". :)

I received an 89. I'm fairly sure my cold feet, vulgar stories and red nail polish brought my score down.

I guess I'm not sure which 1930-era housewife we're talking. Nora Charles? I could that! I can make martinis! :lol:

Oh! Have you ever read The Egg and I? There is a movie version with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray. We should read the book as a project.

I will say this-most middle class housewives of this era had at least one maid, if not a maid and a cook.

Well, that's what I was going to say! My grandmother didn't pursue "womanly arts." She had a maid (who ended up working for her for 50-odd years) and a cook, and she spent her time shopping and playing bridge. Oh -- and having her hair done! That took a whole afternoon every week!

I do know a lot about ladies in the 1920s and 1930s, though, from reading Grace Livingston Hill novels. I've read so many that I feel I lived during that era.

I like Pam's idea! Since she was the one who thought it up, maybe she should be the one to define the parameters.

Edited by Rebecca VA

I received an 89. I'm fairly sure my cold feet, vulgar stories and red nail polish brought my score down.

I guess I'm not sure which 1930-era housewife we're talking. Nora Charles? I could that! I can make martinis! :lol:

Oh! Have you ever read The Egg and I? There is a movie version with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray. We should read the book as a project.

I will say this-most middle class housewives of this era had at least one maid, if not a maid and a cook.

I was thinking Auntie Mame! Not 30's but I'd score 100 at being Mame.

"Womanly art" to me means breastfeeding. I've been brainwashed by LLL! :D

That's what I thought of at first too, I'm sure all LLL-ers thought that, lol.

Well, that's what I was going to say! My grandmother didn't pursue "womanly arts." She had a maid (who ended up working for her for 50-odd years) and a cook, and she spent her time shopping and playing bridge.

This is what I'm saying! But...maybe I've seen too many movies.

I was thinking Auntie Mame! Not 30's but I'd score 100 at being Mame.

HA! I would also make a great Auntie Mame.

I like Pam's idea! Since she was the one who thought it up, maybe she should be the one to define the parameters.

I think I misspoke a little. I probably don't even KNOW what all I'm looking for. I really AM hopeless!

I want to start with being a good wife and more feminine and better at taking care of the home. I've become lazy. I also have allowed what are real reasons become REAL EXCUSES.

Anyway, seriously, I can't even dream of getting an average score on that quiz, much less a superior one. My score, honestly, was 19! But as I've researched a little on a few websites and such, I keep thinking that I *believe* SIMILARLY to people who would score well (one blogger scored 106). I just don't know if I can PRACTICE what I believe.

Edited by 2J5M9K

You know, the very best resource I can recommend is a book called "Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House" by Cheryl Mendelson. Cheryl Mendelson is an Ivy League-trained attorney who loves everything about keeping a beautiful home. Her friends and associates thought she was crazy when she wrote this book, but she had the last laugh, because it turned out to be very popular and well-reviewed! It has information on everything you could want to know about keeping a clean, efficient, well-run home. Her standards are very high.

You can find the book on Amazon. It will make you, not a fussy, old-fashioned housekeeper with outdated methods, but a modern, efficient housekeeper with a shining home that people love to visit.

http://www.magatsu.net/maritaltest/

Oooh, how would YOU rate as a 1930s wife/husband?

I'm not sure if this is the actual test, but apparently there WAS one and this is either a rip-off or an online version of the real thing (they claim it's the same test, but there's ones for husbands and from what I read they never mentioned a test for dhs).

ETA 86 "very superior" well la-tee-da!

How fun! I somehow scored 101 "Very Superior" :lol:

thanks y'all. I have a $50 gift certificate for amazon so thanks for the book suggestion. And thanks for the websites.

I realize that not every woman is interested in this lifestyle. In fact, I found an article (from a blog) about the lady that wrote Fascinating Womanhood and even back in 1974 when that article was written, people had the same thoughts most do today. I am not trying to convince anyone else. But I would like to do better myself. "Better" for US. Maybe it would be better overall, I don't know. But I *think* I can learn to be a better woman and wife.

So I'm going to try.

thanks y'all. I have a $50 gift certificate for amazon so thanks for the book suggestion. And thanks for the websites.

I realize that not every woman is interested in this lifestyle. In fact, I found an article (from a blog) about the lady that wrote Fascinating Womanhood and even back in 1974 when that article was written, people had the same thoughts most do today. I am not trying to convince anyone else. But I would like to do better myself. "Better" for US. Maybe it would be better overall, I don't know. But I *think* I can learn to be a better woman and wife.

So I'm going to try.

If you think it will be better for you and your spouse, then you should definitely give it a try. :)

I want to start with being a good wife and more feminine and better at taking care of the home. I've become lazy. I also have allowed what are real reasons become REAL EXCUSES.

Anyway, seriously, I can't even dream of getting an average score on that quiz, much less a superior one. My score, honestly, was 19! But as I've researched a little on a few websites and such, I keep thinking that I *believe* SIMILARLY to people who would score well (one blogger scored 106). I just don't know if I can PRACTICE what I believe.

Are you sure you aren't just being hard on yourself when you're answering the questions? (same goes for others) Many of the statements on the quiz ask, essentially, whether you are rude, selfish, and immature.

Based on the posts you've written elsewhere , I have not gotten that impression of you AT ALL (same goes for others). Granted, I have not actually met any of you, but I doubt you are mean to salespeople, are suspicious and jealous, snobbish, criticize your husband in public, or let your hose have crooked seams! :) That's not my sense of any of you at all!

I think we can often be our own worst enemies. That's not to say there aren't things we can improve, though, since we probably all can be guilty of being crabby or whiny occasionally or not keeping the house as tidy as we'd like or serving supper at 6:00 sharp (goodness knows I have plenty to improve on on that front!).

Are you sure you aren't just being hard on yourself when you're answering the questions? (same goes for others)

I suspect she is being too hard on herself. I suspect that she didn't think she would score high, and, thus, that affected what she did and didn't check. In my own case, I had no desire to score high on the test, so I'm sure that affected what I did and didn't check.

Okay as long as everyone else is nuts I will join too. There are quite a few different groups out there. I have them saved on my other computer thats down at the moment. If they haven't been found by all the googlers here I will post them this weekend.

:) Glad to know I am not the only one who has wanted to do/be something like this!

Womanly arts like fiber arts? gardening? animal husbandry? home food processing? creative frugality (a la flour sack aprons, etc.)?

OP, if this is along the lines of your interests, I would suggest contacting your county extension office. I believe most states have an extension system from the state university which provides consumer type education in each county. For example, in Florida the University of Florida has extension offices in each county.

Our local extension office provides information/education in Master Gardening (Certification program), landscaping with native plants, bee-keeping and small acreage homesteading. Other counties offers courses for home day care providers, food canning, and hurricane preparation. Obviously each county tailors their programs for the area, but most extension agents seem to have Home Ec. or Agricultural degrees as far as I can tell.

Most programing is free or low cost, depending on state support.