Menu

If you are nursing and get pregnant...

What happens to your milk supply? I'm NOT pregnant, but I'd like to understand what could happen. Would the milk dramatically decrease? When? Would my baby need to go on a bottle or drink some form of alternate milk? Would this likely be an instantaneous thing or 3-4 months out?

He's 10 1/2 months btw and nurses with some solids.

I had zero issues producing milk for dd1 when I got pregnant with dd2, I didn't notice any changes.

My Dr. did tell me they recommend you don't nurse if you have a history of miscarriages, just to be safe, because it can cause contractions - I didn't have issues with that either though.

It is very individual and also depends on the age of your baby. The younger the born baby, the higher the chance that you'll need to supplement.

If your baby is 10 months now and you got pregnant tonight ;), it would likely not be an issue.

Milk supply doesn't usually diminish until around 20 weeks.

I found nursing during pregnancy the first time much harder than tandem or nursing through subsequent pregnancies.

It depends. Some women notice a dramatic drop in supply, others (like the previous posters) don't notice anything. I'd recommend checking out kellymom.com. In addition to great articles, there are message boards with a wealth of info from other moms. (BTW, when I got pregnant this time, my milk supply tanked, but dd was only nursing 2-3 times a day by then and didn't seem to care that the milk was gone -- she just weaned and moved on.)

With this pregnancy, and during the pregnancy with my DS, I pretty much lost my supply toward the beginning of the second trimester... My daughter didn't mind, she was about 15 months and just suddenly weaned (from nursing 4-7x a day/night to 1 for about a week and then stopped cold turkey on her own).

My DS, on the other hand, was older (I think he was 24 or 25 months when he weaned with this pregnancy) and I had to gently wean him. He really didn't care that there wasn't milk, he just wanted to keep nursing. I still had a LITTLE milk, but not much at all.

Neither one had any issues with stopping and I didn't have any painful engorgement or anything like that since my supply naturally went down with the pregnancy hormones.

I dried up at about 16 weeks. Dd was 16 months old and would keep coming to check every few days. She took it up again near the end of the pregnancy, but I had to wean her soon after having ds because my body couldn't handle it. It was the middle of summer too, so that wouldn't have helped. She threw tantrums every time I refused her for weeks. Then went back to asking now and then. Now I'm feeding her again, just in the mornings. Hopefully this time she'll be able to wean herself, because that's what Mamma intuition tells me she needs to do. I'd rather not, but such is life. The thing I loved about nursing during pregnancy was that lactating boobies don't hurt nearly so much! I had the sorest boobs known to womankind during my first pregnancy, then they didn't hurt at all during the second until after my milk dried up.

Rosie

When Jake was 9 months old I discovered I was pregnant with Claire. (mere moments, I tell you, after giving away all of my maternity clothes to Katrina victims!)

But, I digress. I noticed the pain before I noticed the pregnancy. I kept wondering why my supply was going down and it hurt to nurse. Of course, I was plagued by thrush with all babies and never had a GREAT milk supply, so I didn't think much of it til I POAS and SURPRISE!!!......here comes Claire!

As others have said, it varies from person to person. In my case, I was still breastfeeding when I got pregnant the second time, but I miscarried. I did feel some contractions, so I recommend that if you're feeling any contractions to try to wean your baby. I don't think the majority of people have to worry about this, but there are some of us who do. I was no spring chicken, and I have a lot of health problems, so I was never able to carry but one baby to term. (I'm quite sure, and my OB thinks so as well, that I had multiple other miscarriages after the miscarriage mentioned, but the pregnancies were never confirmed.)

While we're on this topic, if anyone cares to comment on this AFTER addressing the OP (sorry for the hijack!!), how long does it take before the baby/child forgets how to nurse? If they wean themselves due to supply issues while pregnant, could they start up again once the baby is born with no issues?

They might forget, but they will remember if they want to. The only thing my dd does is sink her top teeth in a little. She's not biting, she just doesn't avoid doing it. I don't have much trouble with it if I feed lying down, that way it's easier to reposition to ease it.

Rosie

I bf through my 2nd pregnancy and for the next 3.5 years I tandem fed.

I never noticed a decrease in supply particularly. The first kid did get bottles as well so the bfeeding was more for comfort and the extra nutrition rather than a major food supply.

Also, I was a wee young thing at the time (well, late twenties seems young now!).

Edited by Peela

Tazzie was nursing when we found out Princess was on her way, just before Tazzie's first birthday. He got a really bad cold around that time, and weaned himself. I also think, from the glares he gave me, that my milk had changed, and simply wasn't as tasty as before :lol:

What happens to your milk supply? I'm NOT pregnant, but I'd like to understand what could happen. Would the milk dramatically decrease? When? Would my baby need to go on a bottle or drink some form of alternate milk? Would this likely be an instantaneous thing or 3-4 months out?

I was nursing my 1st when I became pregnant. She was about 9 months old. I did not have any issues with milk supply. Although, she on her own naturally weaned herself from her mama's milk by 16 months.

A few months later and after seeing her new sister nurse, she wanted some too.;) I let her try, but she had already forgotten how to nurse.:angelsad2: Nursing wasn't important to her though. She just needed to know that I would let her if she wanted to.

Ds #1 was 3 or 4 months (only breastfed, no supplimenting) when I got pregnant with Ds #2. I didn't even realize I was pregnant until my coffee started tasting off. ;) I nursed throughout the pregnancy without supplimenting, although he started on solids around 5 1/2 months. Ds #1 was also the latest to wean at 18 months. Ds #2 quit nursing though at 12 months, 3 months into DD's pregnancy.

While we're on this topic, if anyone cares to comment on this AFTER addressing the OP (sorry for the hijack!!), how long does it take before the baby/child forgets how to nurse? If they wean themselves due to supply issues while pregnant, could they start up again once the baby is born with no issues?

I had an almost 3 yo quit nursing a couple of weeks before the next one was born. She had no idea how to nurse after the baby was born and actually refused to nurse.

As for nursing through a pregnancy, there are some people who equate it to hearing fingernail scrape across a chalkboard. If nursing is important to you and your nursling, keep that in mind. For me, I find nursing at night to be incredibly irritating while I am pregnant. I also find that I am quite irritable about nursing during the day, but I'm more likely to put up with it then. But I only put up with it; it's certainly not something I enjoy.

Edited by susie in tx

RaeAnne, I think this totally depends on the baby/child. My eldest was 2 years and 9 months when I weaned her. (I was nearing the end of my pregnancy and almost couldn't stand to be touched anymore.) I weaned her slowly, then we went about 10 days without nursing before something happened (can't remember what) and she was nearly inconsolable. I finally went to latch her on to comfort her, and she had no clue what to do. She looked totally confused for a minute, tried again, and then just let go and snuggled up against me. We tried one more time after that and that was it. I was floored. She was a total nursing addict, and that she forgot so quickly was amazing to me. But I've also heard of toddlers who haven't nursed in a few months who latched back on with no problems and kept on nursing.

I'm not sure about milk supply since I weaned after four weeks (8 wks pregnant) of finding out that I was pregnant, but I felt absolutely awful while nursing and pregnant. My dd was 1 yr 10 mo old when I weaned her. Once I weaned her I still felt sick and tired, but it was sooooo much better. I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, so I don't know if that contributed. The other reason I weaned is that I had spotting and cramping for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy, and it concerned me to continue nursing. I've never had spotting during pregnancy before, and this was the first time that I had ever nursed while pregnant. As others have said, it also really hurt to nurse once I was pregnant. However, I have also known women who have happily nursed while pregnant with no problems.

It is common for your milk supply to go down but that doesn't always happen. Since your ds is already 10 months old you would probably be okay, since he will be 1 soon. That being said, there are things that you can do to help keep your supply up. You would be eating and drinking for three. I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant and nursing my 18mo dd ~6x per day and sometimes a few times at night. I need to eat and drink a lot to keep up. It seems like I always have a cup in my hand and drink a whole large glass of water every night during the night. I have to eat every 2-3 hours during the day and need to have a snack before bed as well (I've found walnuts plus something else to be best for this).

At some point, I think between 20 and 30 weeks, your milk changes into colostrum. There is nothing wrong with your ds drinking this but he might not like it. Older dd nursed through my whole pregnancy with ds and for 14 months afterwards and ds quit at 18 months, about half-way through my pregnancy with younger dd. DD is still going strong and I'm not sure what she'll do. She eats tons of other food but she still loves her nummies.

Strider, no, lol, nothing to share... I just wanted information. If I ever have something to share, I'll put balloons in my sig or something. :)

Gotcha.

This reminds me of a recent doctor's appointment I had. I really like the midwife who assisted with ds' birth, so I have continued to go to her for gyn appts and women's health issues. I ran into a friend recently when I went in for my yearly pap smear. I could see that she was brimming with curiosity but not asking, ykwim? I turned to her with a big smile and announced happily, "I'm not pregnant!" She burst out laughing and said, "Neither am I!" It struck us both as hilarious--we're not sure what the others in the waiting room thought.

:)

I was nursing #3 when I conceived #4. I was pretty worried because I had been on bedrest for premature labor with #3 and I know nursing can cause contractions. My OB/Gyn said it would be OK for me to nurse until I was 20 weeks along. Unfortunately, I have terrible morning sickness and it was hard to find time & energy to nurse between vomiting 12-15 X a day. My #3 dd was 20 mo by then. She is my only one I weaned before 2yo. I still have guilt. :001_smile:

It must be very individual. I had a friend wean her 6mo as soon as she found out she was expecting because she suddenly found nursing "gross." :001_huh:

Amber in SJ

Well see that's part of what I have been trying to factor into all this, whether I would have some guilt or regret if my ds weaned in the process (earlier than I was expecting). But I'm not pregnant, and I guess we'll cross that bridge if it happens.

Thank you all for your stories! I'm sure I'll be rereading them a few times to take encouragement!

It just varies so much......I know a few who even with older babies (6-10 mos) had supplies that went down to nothing and did choose to use formula from a bottle.

With a baby younger than 6 mos, yes you will very very likely need to supplement at some point depending on how much your supply dwindles and when. It's nature's way of protecting the fetus....but nature hasn't realized that we now have nearly unlimited access to resources (ie calories).

I did nurse through a pregnancy but *oh* my goodness. It was the most creepy crawly, most uncomfortable experience of my life......every cell in my body was screaming out to stop nursing the toddler....and honestly, I was totally unprepared for that.....I was expecting to go along nursing happily until I had my toddler and my baby nursing together happily. Ugh. That so was not what happened.

K

I was pregnant with my third child. I nursed up until six months of the pregnancy when my doctor told me that I would have to stop nursing. His reasoning was to prevent an early delivery due to nipple stimulation.

Just to be clear for readers, in the absence of risk of preterm labor, the above is not an issue in normally progressing pregnancies. It's a persistent "myth" bandied about in the medical field.

I have nursed through all or part of 4 preggys. I nursed my now 21 mo through my 7 mo preggy. We were in the hosp. 10 days with 7 mo old, and as soon as we got home he climbed on my lab and went to nursing. Still nursing about 8 times a day. :lol: I hardly had to supplement him with solids through most of that preggy.

Oh, and I got preggy with that 21 mo while nursing two full time. No solids. They were 9 mos and 22 mos. The 22 mo old had gotten very, very sick and stopped eating solids when she was 17 mos. The 9 mo old had not even started solids.

I have 6 children, 4 of which were under 4 at the time of the 7 mo olds birth. 4 separate preggys. All conceived while nursing at least one child, full time. :lol: Co-sleeping, baby wearing and demand feeding. :lol: