Menu

Which homeschooling resources would you make a great sales person for?

There are 2 programs I get so excited about: TOG and Phonics Road/Latin Road.

My only problem, with Tapestry Teas, is I buy used, so I don't qualify. Otherwise, man I've gotten 4 friends hooked in the last 3 years, who have gotten 3 others using the program. I could have a lovely pyramid!

PR is just amazing...I could so sell it!

How about you. What makes you so excited you could sell it like crazy!?

I was the first person to tell people on the Well Trained Mind boards about Writing Tales. I know that it seems like OhElizabeth since she pitches it a lot on the boards now. But if you search the old archives, I wrote a review about it a couple of years ago. Amy from WT would know. So, I did help Amy from WT by pitching Writing Tales. If you ask her, she would verify this. So, I did already do a good job a giving a great sales pitch for Writitng Tales.:)

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

All Ablout Spelling. It is such an easy program to use and an easy program to teach. Very open and go. I have convinced others to use it also. I LOVE that it has dictation already in it, so I don't feel the need to look up extra dictation for ds.

Beth

There are 2 programs I get so excited about: TOG and Phonics Road/Latin Road.

My only problem, with Tapestry Teas, is I buy used, so I don't qualify. Otherwise, man I've gotten 4 friends hooked in the last 3 years, who have gotten 3 others using the program. I could have a lovely pyramid!

PR is just amazing...I could so sell it!

How about you. What makes you so excited you could sell it like crazy!?

I'm extremely picky!! After all these yrs of homeschooling, I only have a short list of programs that I am willing to repeat with child after child. The only programs I love and haven't dumped over the yrs are:

Horizons math

Sing, Spell, Read, Write

Foersters alg books

I also really like the Didache's History of the Church for a Catholic high school text.

But, that's about it.

The iPhone. Seriously. I use it for all kinds of homeschooling stuff.

This is funny--I just created a bunch of flashcards using gflash on my iphone. Of course, my son has used this development to lobby for an ipod touch for himself!

Dancing Bears Reading. It is truly the best of everything. Phonograms, an interesting story, enough review but not too much. I love it. (and it is secular!)

Five in a Row. It is easy to use as written and easy to make more difficult. And the books used are some of the best picture book out there. (also secular!)

I love, love, love First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind!

I have so much fun teaching my daughter, and she LOVES to do any activities in it. It is such a gentle but thorough introduction to grammar. We are finished with 1/2 and are looking forward to level 3 this year.

I would love to hear more about this. I have an iPhone and am looking for more ways to use it.

Flashcards--we use iFlipr. I have flashcards for the Greek alphabet, states and capitals, US Presidents, Latin vocabulary, and more. The children will do flashcards indefinitely if it's on the iPhone!

Book inventory--this is huge. I used Delicious Library and my Mac's built-in camera to scan books, although I had to enter old ones like Landmarks by hand. It turns out we have over 3000 books! Then I synced it to my corresponding iPhone app and now I can double-check any book while I'm out to make sure I don't already have it.

Wishlist--I keep it in Googledocs and have a googledocs app on my iPhone. I can take my wishlist with me in electronic form everywhere I go.

iPod--I keep loads of homeschooling talks from conventions on the iPhone so I can listen in the car or wherever. It sure beats my old shuffle where I couldn't even tell which title I was on. I used to have to carry a paper copy of the contents of the shuffle, and I had to hear the convention's intro music innumerable times while trying to find the right file. The iPhone is soooooo much better. In addition, we have classical music loaded that we can listen to anytime--music appreciation.

Bible/ebooks--Knowing I have the Bible accessible to me at anytime is priceless. I have classic ebooks, Latin sayings programs, and worthwhile stories that I know I can pull out anytime at a doctor's office for the children to read.

Games--There are free games that mimic Set and Rush Hour, to name just a few. I consider those games logic and very worthwhile. Of course, there is also Chess.

Maps--on the basic GPS I am teaching my daughter to begin to assist me in navigating--a life skill.

This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Dancing Bears Reading. It is truly the best of everything. Phonograms, an interesting story, enough review but not too much. I love it. (and it is secular!)

Five in a Row. It is easy to use as written and easy to make more difficult. And the books used are some of the best picture book out there. (also secular!)

I have a picture in my mind of a dancing bear with you viking hat from your avatar...love it!

Flashcards--we use iFlipr. I have flashcards for the Greek alphabet, states and capitals, US Presidents, Latin vocabulary, and more. The children will do flashcards indefinitely if it's on the iPhone!

Book inventory--this is huge. I used Delicious Library and my Mac's built-in camera to scan books, although I had to enter old ones like Landmarks by hand. It turns out we have over 3000 books! Then I synced it to my corresponding iPhone app and now I can double-check any book while I'm out to make sure I don't already have it.

Wishlist--I keep it in Googledocs and have a googledocs app on my iPhone. I can take my wishlist with me in electronic form everywhere I go.

iPod--I keep loads of homeschooling talks from conventions on the iPhone so I can listen in the car or wherever. It sure beats my old shuffle where I couldn't even tell which title I was on. I used to have to carry a paper copy of the contents of the shuffle, and I had to hear the convention's intro music innumerable times while trying to find the right file. The iPhone is soooooo much better. In addition, we have classical music loaded that we can listen to anytime--music appreciation.

Bible/ebooks--Knowing I have the Bible accessible to me at anytime is priceless. I have classic ebooks, Latin sayings programs, and worthwhile stories that I know I can pull out anytime at a doctor's office for the children to read.

Games--There are free games that mimic Set and Rush Hour, to name just a few. I consider those games logic and very worthwhile. Of course, there is also Chess.

Maps--on the basic GPS I am teaching my daughter to begin to assist me in navigating--a life skill.

The library is AWESOME...

The Latin-Centered Curriculum - my copy now requires tape to hold the cover intact. :D

Latin for Children - I really like this program. I know it's not for everyone but it's perfect for us.

Life of Fred - unique teaching, excellent customer service, and the autographed copies is a great touch that shows me he CARES about his product.

Explode the Code, REAL Science Odyssey, and have to add Life of Fred even though I have not even used it yet :D

I purchased the LOF Fractions book Friday morning with free shipping. Within an hour I had an email that it had shipped and the book was in my mailbox saturday morning!!! That is some super fast free shipping. On top of that its a wonderful hard copy with instructions inside for the kids to write on a seperate piece of paper so that the book can be reused with other children. For 19 bucks I was thinking it would probably be a consumable. What a wonderful company!

I will have to check into all of those, thanks! I do have a few games on mine for my dd.

I've never heard of Dancing Bears reading. How can I find it?

Here is a link to Dancing Bears, it is about a third of the way down the page.

http://www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk/

You can look at the entire book by clicking on see inside link next to the cover of the book. Click on the US flag to see the prices in US dollars and on other flags for other currency.

I love this series because it has the phonograms that are so important to understanding phonics, but it is open and go. No teacher prep needed and no steep learning curve. Also it can go as fast or as slow as your child progresses. At the beginning it starts with sounds of letters and the end of the last book has the sentence, "Why is there a picture of a vulture on your hankie? Where on earth did you get that?" That is really reading!

I hope you give it a look. And maybe enjoy it as much as we did!