Menu

What are your thoughts regarding demons 'showing' themselves? (cc)

Greetings all. I hesitate asking this since I am exposing myself as a potential village idiot, but here goes. I am a Christian, and believe in the protections that my Heavenly Father provides for me. I do, however, believe that the devil does indeed prowl around with his demons to aggravate and exasperate Christian believers. This is a very recent occurrence, and I would appreciate your wisdom concerning demons and their 'ability' to be seen by us or leave their tell tale signs of some sort to confound us. Firstly, know that my husband and I love each other dearly, and there have been very few fights or disagreements between us through the years. But last week was a real show-stopper. We had the nastiest verbal scene between us, mostly due to my lack of grace and patience, that led to loud words between us, which led to a kind of mental and physical exhaustion that I cannot remember experiencing before. (He later said that he felt as though his face had been punched...but not by me! :D) The topic of the verbal exchange was actually a minor thing that got out of hand too quickly and the words I spoke were just awful. It ruined several days that could have been joyful. As I was sitting alone in our bedroom, I glanced at the quilt rack in the corner, where hangs a small sign that says, 'Happiness is being married to your best friend'. I hated that sign at that moment, and then my eyes went directly above that sign to see a large, dark 'stain' of some sort along the rose-colored wall. I had never seen it before that day. I wondered if it was a very industrious spider building a web, or maybe a shadow from the window shades, or maybe a huge dust bunny. I got up and went over to it, and all I can describe is the weird feeling it gave me to look at it. I touched it and felt nothing. I got a cloth and rubbed it but the stain remained. There are no water pipes behind that wall. Fast forward to a few days later, when my dh and I, through prayer together and much transparent communication, were able to completely work through the problem (that wasn't really a problem after all), and all was 100% healed as if by a miracle. I was so thankful that my peace returned. Later that day I sat again in my bedroom and was rocking and thanking the Lord for all He has given me. My eyes went to that nasty place on the wall, and it was gone. Completely gone. It was then that the thought came to me that it seemed almost like a sign of the oppresion being lifted from my home. Am I way off base? Is this a new age kind of reasoning that I should remove from my mind? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing being possible? I wouldn't think about it anymore, but the whole atmosphere gave me the willies. Thoughts?

I don't think you are off base at all. Check out the book Walking with God by John Elderedge. I'm sure there are many more books out there, but I'm reading this one right now and it sounds like it is right where you are. Also The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson. They both talk about identifying when something is of us (our own sinfulness) or of satan and how to deal with both. I think it is key to be aware that satan does exist and wants to hurt our relationships. We don't have to focus on satan, but we should be aware that he is working against us. There are plenty of bible verses that tell us that. Resist him, and he will flee.

Missionaries will tell you that they meet many people in the developing world (who aren't distracted by tv, radio, etc, etc like we are) that testify to many demons or demonic activity. I personally have never experienced it.... not in spirit form... just a few evil people/perhaps possessed.... but I would not discount it.

It could be nothing. Don't worry. But I think having the thought and researching it doens't make you nuts or wrong. It is possible.

Blessings to you!!!!

One would like to think stories like this are from crazy people but once you know they are not crazy it changes ones perspective.

And then there is hearing stories from crazy people that sound the same.

Not saying the OP is mentally ill, only that sudden, uncontrollable rage ("out of nowhere") and hallucinations (visual, olfactory, tactile) are normally associated with misfires in the temporal lobes. In the absence of an EEG correlate, the default "answer" is usually mental illness. Many other physical aberrations may cause similar experiences (significant hormone imbalances, for example).

Sorry - I spend a lot of time listening to life stories from mentally ill people. Religiosity (the psychiatric definition, not the "I go to church" definition) is a big component of many people's illnesses.

I hope the OP finds peace. Disruption of any sort that gives one significant pause or feelings of harm is never welcome by anyone.

a

Nope, you're not crazy. I, too, have had the experience of facing the reality of demons. My oldest ds was going through a major time of spiritual rebellion, mostly due to the influence of a God-hating, Christianity-mocking, drug-taking girlfriend. I cut off contact between the two of them, and ds was very, very angry. He told me he hated me and his father, and that Jesus was just bs...All of this was a complete turnaround from his stance prior to said girlfriend entering the picture. I could feel the battle being waged for my ds's life. During this time, I saw what I believe were demons over my bed as I tried to sleep. I was terrified, had cold sweats, and could not sleep. I had to have a night light, and I had to play soft praise music. Dh and I prayed, and finally I slept. Fast forward a few months, and ds thanks me for praying for him during that time of rebellion. He said that he wanted to pray and seek God during that time, but he couldn't. He said something kept stopping him, and that he could feel a battle being waged inside of him. Now, praise God, we know greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. Now my ds is playing guitar for our praise team at church and has a much deeper faith than he did before the terrible experience I just described. So, no, you're not alone.:grouphug:

Thank you everyone for your honesty and willingness to share! I may have had hormonal trouble which contributed to my lack of patience, but still, the eerie feeling was hard to shake. Then the acknowledgment that we may have been under some type of oppression made us shake our heads with a sort of 'Oh, now I get it!' type of resolution. It's like the air cleared in our home immediately. Very strange. I'm getting those books that were mentioned. I really appreciate your encouragement!

:grouphug:

It's funny you thought it might've been industrious spiders. I read a book once that claimed that evil places were full of cobwebs, especially very heavy ones and that it was the evil that made them collect... It was fiction, but what you said reminded me of that.

I agree with most of the pps, it is very possible that you saw what you thought (iow, a symbol or sign of the strife in your home). I'm glad it's gone, the idea of sleeping with something like that..... I don't know how you did it.

Nope, you're not crazy. I, too, have had the experience of facing the reality of demons. My oldest ds was going through a major time of spiritual rebellion, mostly due to the influence of a God-hating, Christianity-mocking, drug-taking girlfriend. I cut off contact between the two of them, and ds was very, very angry. He told me he hated me and his father, and that Jesus was just bs...All of this was a complete turnaround from his stance prior to said girlfriend entering the picture. I could feel the battle being waged for my ds's life. During this time, I saw what I believe were demons over my bed as I tried to sleep. I was terrified, had cold sweats, and could not sleep. I had to have a night light, and I had to play soft praise music. Dh and I prayed, and finally I slept. Fast forward a few months, and ds thanks me for praying for him during that time of rebellion. He said that he wanted to pray and seek God during that time, but he couldn't. He said something kept stopping him, and that he could feel a battle being waged inside of him. Now, praise God, we know greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. Now my ds is playing guitar for our praise team at church and has a much deeper faith than he did before the terrible experience I just described. So, no, you're not alone.:grouphug:

Thank you for sharing this. I am deeply moved and so thankful that your ds had release from his bondage. It really does feel like bondage. Praising Him for tender mercy.

Not saying the OP is mentally ill, only that sudden, uncontrollable rage ("out of nowhere") and hallucinations (visual, olfactory, tactile) are normally associated with misfires in the temporal lobes. In the absence of an EEG correlate, the default "answer" is usually mental illness. Many other physical aberrations may cause similar experiences (significant hormone imbalances, for example).

Sorry - I spend a lot of time listening to life stories from mentally ill people. Religiosity (the psychiatric definition, not the "I go to church" definition) is a big component of many people's illnesses.

I hope the OP finds peace. Disruption of any sort that gives one significant pause or feelings of harm is never welcome by anyone.

a

I honestly wonder how much of mental illness truly is spiritual in nature...but in today's day and age, that's of course, unacceptable. There must be a medical cause, and therefore cure for all that ails us. And if not cure, then a way of managing it.

I'm not saying that ALL mental illness is spiritual in nature, not by a long shot...but I wonder that NONE of it is.

To read the posts here, I wish I had that type of faith. While I believe in God and I am a Christian, this type thing (as well as several books in the Bible) seem more like something you would read in a fantasy fiction novel than actual life. I definitely don't think the OP or anyone else is the "village idiot" or that you are making it up. Maybe I am just blind to a lot of the signs of evil around me. :(

:grouphug:

I read a book once that claimed that evil places were full of cobwebs, especially very heavy ones and that it was the evil that made them collect... It was fiction, but what you said reminded me of that.

Ok, I'm going to seriously dust the corners of my house now. LOL

In response to the OP: I've pondered your question for a few hours now. I have no doubts of evil in the world and that it can/will manifest itself. I don't really know how to answer you, because most of the evil I've "seen" was in the form of human behavior, not in the way you've experienced. Not disputing your experience at all, it's just not one I've had. My Ex MIL would claim there were demons surrounding us and would prescribe weird rituals to rid ourselves of them, but I was so put off by her remedies (none were Biblical) that I pretty much ignored her. Given her spiritual inconsistencies (jumping from one religion to another regularly) I tend to not hold much of what she says to be reliable.

In any event, my suggestion for you and your dh is to repent of any known sins, and pray for protection; to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves. Close the door on any evildoing in your lives so that there is no foothold.

Best wishes.

To read the posts here, I wish I had that type of faith. While I believe in God and I am a Christian, this type thing (as well as several books in the Bible) seem more like something you would read in a fantasy fiction novel than actual life. I definitely don't think the OP or anyone else is the "village idiot" or that you are making it up. Maybe I am just blind to a lot of the signs of evil around me. :(

If there really is an enemy of God (and I believe there is), then it would be to his (her/its) advantage that people be unaware of his power.

I totally believe you felt and saw what you think it is. While I haven't seen (visually) demons, I have felt their presence. It's weird when you walk into a place and feel a very heavy burden while there...every time you are there. Or, in one case, I was getting gas at the local gas station and another patron probably 30 feet away scared the crud out of me. It was nothing they did; I just KNEW there was something about that person. I don't think I've ever been that scared before. I've come across other people...people I've known and total strangers...where I could feel something not right about them. It's hard to explain the feeling but it is a very heavy, burdensome, scary, not right, dark, oppression kind of feeling. I don't ignore that feeling!

Have you ever read Peretti's novels This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness? They are fiction novels about spiritual warfare. He paints a picture of demons and angels and their interactions with humans. It was his books that helped give me a picture of spiritual warfare so I could understand it. Very disturbing reading, suspenseful, scary...but it wasn't until I read those that I understand what I was feeling in certain places or around certain people.

a

I've heard lots of both kinds and I think there is a difference.

I worked for a long time, first as a volunteer, later as a professional, with schizophrenic folks. Their stories were all very similar to each other's. If there wasn't specifically religious content, something else would be substituted that had authority, good/evil, potential for hidden power----the military was pretty frequent. IOW, the "plot" was often very similar but the content could change.

I've also heard similar stories to the OP's which were from people who I know who are/were clearly not mentally ill. The only weird thing was the dark or evil presence--sometimes perceived through the senses and sometimes not. (What I'm trying to say is sometimes evil is internally sensed, but there are no outward signs. Other times people do see or hear things.)

Just had to share. I read the question "What are your thoughts regarding demons 'showing' themselves?" aloud. My 15yo promptly responded, "Show yourself the h*ll away from me."

LOL-

Mandy

ROTFLOL! :lol:

This is one area where i will absolutely :lurk5:

If there really is an enemy of God (and I believe there is), then it would be to his (her/its) advantage that people be unaware of his power.

Oh yeah, just read The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis for a refresher course on this "strategy" of the enemy.

I also agree with another poster in the belief that not all mental ailments are physiological in nature.

Have you ever read Peretti's novels This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness? They are fiction novels about spiritual warfare. He paints a picture of demons and angels and their interactions with humans. It was his books that helped give me a picture of spiritual warfare so I could understand it. Very disturbing reading, suspenseful, scary...but it wasn't until I read those that I understand what I was feeling in certain places or around certain people.

Just wanted to second these books. They really do give a 'face' to the idea of spiritual warfare. There are several verses in the bible that talk about a veil - seeing through the veil, lifting the veil - wasn't it Elijah that was able to see the army of angels around the enemy camp? Then there's Balam and the donkey. There are things going on around us that we can't see. For good and for evil.

I honestly wonder how much of mental illness truly is spiritual in nature...but in today's day and age, that's of course, unacceptable. There must be a medical cause, and therefore cure for all that ails us. And if not cure, then a way of managing it.

Well, everything we experience has some correlate in our physical brains, right? That's why scientists can hook us up to wires and see by their scans when we're eating or laughing. Just because we understand the physical, brain-side part of the equation, doesn't mean the religious, spirit-side part doesn't exist.

OP, I have temporal lobe epilepsy, and what you describe sounds a lot to me like a seizure. It's not unheard of for close partners to both experience symptoms when one has a seizure, and hormone difficulties can trigger seizures. My partner has Tourette's, which is similar biologically, and when one of us goes, the other goes off too. We're like a box of firecrackers. :D I'm not saying it wasn't a demon, but you should get your noggin looked at. You don't want to leave yourself vulnerable to any such thing, demon or seizure, or both, or neither, right?

I have had "things" swirling around me in the middle of the night. Of course, I was scared, but I just did the Sign of the Cross, said a Hail Mary, and said "Begone" and I felt the "things" leave.

We had our house blessed and we keep Holy Water around the house. And, of course, pray.

If things aren't quite "right" in the house, I make sure everyone gets to Confession as soon as possible. Satan and his demons are looking for that soul weakened by sin.

I highly recommend the book Angels and Devils by Joan Carroll Cruz (Tan Publishing). (It is a Catholic book, but informative nevertheless)

I'll admit that I do believe that Christians can be oppressed by demons, etc. My pastor even suggested that this can happen when we do not repent of sins, or rather a particular sin. My mother is dealing with mental illness that I believe is oppression of this sort. She does not believe she is mentally ill at all. I too will be interested in reading the books mentioned in a previous post. Thanks!

I just read your post to dh and as I was reading, he was nodding his head in agreement because we've been in a similar situation more than once.

While we haven't had a visual reminder or physical "proof" like you described with the stain, our marriage has been in identical circumstances. There have been a few occasions where I will be having a great day at home, dh is having a great day at work, we're looking forward to seeing each other, time with with the kids is great...and then something just "snaps". We will be saying things to each other that we're not even sure what it is we're saying! Something really small- completely insignificant- will set one of us off and the fireworks that explode are unreal. I know that in these times (few, but more than once which is unfortunate), I will say to my dh later, "I don't even know why I was saying those things! I didn't mean them, they weren't thought out in advance and I wasn't even that upset to begin with! The whole time I was saying those things to you, I was thinking 'why am I saying this? I'm not even *mad*!'" It is then that we realize we're being attacked. We inevitably get on our knees and get things right with each other and with the Lord. I think we're much better now at being able to discern when our fights are from our own doing vs when we're under attack.

I do think that Satan attacks marriages frequently. It makes sense to me that he would want there to be so much discord in the family. It's a breeding ground for disfunction and bitterness towards God. Remember though, "a chord of three strands is not easily broken."

And again, while *I* haven't experienced a physical "act" of Satan, my bff, years ago, was in the middle of a very significant spiritual battle. There was a day that she was sitting at her kitchen table reading scripture, feeling especially vulnerable, when she looked down and I kid you not, saw a *snake* at her feet! In her kitchen! Talk about a significant visual of spiritual warefare! Could the snake be any more symbolic of Satan!?

I will tell you though, that reading your account made me think that the stain you saw was like the "entry/exit" of the demon...is *that* possible?

Well, everything we experience has some correlate in our physical brains, right? That's why scientists can hook us up to wires and see by their scans when we're eating or laughing. Just because we understand the physical, brain-side part of the equation, doesn't mean the religious, spirit-side part doesn't exist.

OP, I have temporal lobe epilepsy, and what you describe sounds a lot to me like a seizure. It's not unheard of for close partners to both experience symptoms when one has a seizure, and hormone difficulties can trigger seizures. My partner has Tourette's, which is similar biologically, and when one of us goes, the other goes off too. We're like a box of firecrackers. :D I'm not saying it wasn't a demon, but you should get your noggin looked at. You don't want to leave yourself vulnerable to any such thing, demon or seizure, or both, or neither, right?

I think this excellent advice. I did not realize until recently that my migraines, which cause visual disturbances, are often preceded by an episode of irrational anxiety or rage. My doctor made the connection and said that it is probably more common than people realize.

I am not a skeptic, I do believe there are spiritual realities that we can not explain, but I agree that it is a good idea to be aware of possible physical explanations as well.

Something similar to this, my dd and I are both bi-polar and we can not be around each other when we are both going off.

I think this excellent advice. I did not realize until recently that my migraines, which cause visual disturbances, are often preceded by an episode of irrational anxiety or rage. My doctor made the connection and said that it is probably more common than people realize.

I am not a skeptic, I do believe there are spiritual realities that we can not explain, but I agree that it is a good idea to be aware of possible physical explanations as well.

Yes, I also have migraines and have noticed a definite change in mood preceeding both the visual disturbances and pain.

Ay, I feel really akward about sharing this here since it is something very personal and private and I certainly prefer not to "open up" in such a public way, but if what I say will help even one person here then I am willing to put myself out on this limb for their sake.

When I first got saved in August 1989, God took me out of a VERY dark place. All of my life up to that point had been in utter darkness to be honest. Jesus came to my rescue in my darkest hour and I know that had He not, I would not be alive today. I can say that with 100% assurance. I got saved on a Sunday in a church after a supernatural close encounter with God. I had one of those "Paul on the road to Damascus type of experiences". I was filled with joy that I had never known in all of my life at the point of my accepting Christ and the heaviest burden was lifted off of me. It felt as if an elephant had been sitting on me all my life and had suddenly decided to get up and walk away. It was all so wonderful, except when I went to bed that night I felt the most terrifying evil presence in my room.

I felt as if something were sitting on my chest with it's face just inches from my face and snickering at me. It was pitch black in my room but I swear the darkness was even greater right in front of my face and it seemed almost as if it had a form of some kind. I could feel the weight/pressure of this thing on my chest and as if it were breathing in my face. It was the evilest presence I have ever felt and I was literally scared stiff. I didn't know what to do. I just closed my eyes and tried to pray, but I didn't know how to pray yet and I could feel as if this presence were literally mocking me. This same thing happened EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for that first week that I was a Christian.

The next Sunday after service I pulled the pastor aside and told him what was happening to me. He told me, "Just say 'Get behind me Satan' and it will go away." I'm sure he meant to be helpful, but his advice had absolutely no effect on this creature. When I realized that even the pastor couldn't help me I was even more afraid. The pastor had told me to start reading the Bible in the New Testament before reading the Old which I did. I was devouring God's word and had read the entire New Testament and had gotten as far as Exodus after that first week. I was praying for God to help me and He showed me something from His word. I know that it was all God because I am not clever enough to have pulled this out of this story on my own and certainly not after being a Christian for only 1 week.

I read Exodus 12:7 where God tells the Israelites to sprinkle the lamb's blood on the door posts and the Angel of Death would pass over that house. The Holy Spirit impressed upon me so strongly what to do and I just knew all at once what to do and say. I passed my hands over the window in my room and over the doors that led into it and I said, "I plead the blood of Jesus on this room. This is a Holy sanctuary to God and no evil is allowed in here." I said this while passing my hands over the openings.

That night I felt the same evil presence, but it wasn't on my chest anymore I felt it concentrated distinctly outside of my bedroom window. I heard the most horrible tapping and scratching at my window. I lived on the first floor. There was no tree or bush outside anywhere near my window. There was no wind blowing or anything that could account for that noise. That thing was out there and I could feel that it was furious. I was inside terrified, but I then realized that it was staying outside. It couldn't come in! What God had shown me had worked!

The next day while my mom was at work, I went through the rest of the house and sanctified it just as I had done to my bedroom. The thing came back a few more nights but again could only stay outside the window. Eventually it went away altogether and the house was full of peace. Things went along fine until we moved from that house to another city. I had forgotten by then all about those nights and I was excited to be going to college. After a busy day of unpacking and staying up very late, I finally went to bed in my new room. As soon as the lights were off and I was laying down I again felt that same presence right on my chest!! :eek: I was full of fear, but I also knew that God was with me. I told it, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to get out of this house!" I said this a few times and it went away. I was shaking all over and I immediately got up and passed my hands over the windows and doors and consecrated my room to the Lord by saying "I plead the blood of Jesus on this room. This is a Holy sanctuary to God and no evil is allowed in here.". I then snuck downstairs and did the same for all the other rooms and windows in the house except for my mother's where she was sleeping. (She wasn't a believer yet then and certainly wouldn't have been to keen on my waking her up to sanctify her room). As soon as she was gone the next day, I went into her room and sanctified her's as well.

That night when I went to bed I could feel the presence again outside my window, tapping and scratching. I was on the second floor, again with no tree or bush near the windows that could account for the noise. I got a bit cocky and told it, "you can knock but you can't come in." hehe Teenagers! It went away after that and I wasn't bothered again the entire time I lived there. When I got married and moved into my house where I live now, you better believe the first thing I did was consecrate my entire house and I have never been bothered by it again.

I am telling you all of this only for this reason. God Himself is the one who gave me the remedy and it has worked not only for me, but for other friends of mine who have gone through a similar experience one lady recently that I serve with at church did this after having a very similar experience to what you are describing with your husband. It worked for her as well and her husband (who is not a believer is even praying now and is willing to go to church with her).

Believe me when I tell you that these things are VERY real. I have had a few encounters with these things and was once even physically attacked. When Satan was cast out of Heaven other angels fell with him. I assure you, they are not swinging in hammocks and playing pool all day long. They are very busy at work, in these days more than ever I think. The Bible says in Ephesians 6:12 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. I think that speaks pretty clearly as to what we are dealing with. But we are more than conquerers through Christ Jesus our Lord and there is no weapon that is fashioned against us that can prosper. Isaiah 54:17.

I strongly encourage you to sanctify your house (with your entire family if possible). Trust in God to be your defense and remember that even the demons tremble at His name. I hope this helps you. God bless you sister. :grouphug:

Wishing you abundant blessings,

Jennifer

Thank you for posting this, Jennifer! I know it took a lot of courage for you to do, and I'm so glad you did. What an awesome testimony! I am so glad that, as a new Christian, you didn't give in to the evil. How easy it would have been, especially in light of your pastor's inexperience with this. How scary, but how powerful was your transformation! Praise God!

Ay, I feel really akward about sharing this here since it is something very personal and private and I certainly prefer not to "open up" in such a public way, but if what I say will help even one person here then I am willing to put myself out on this limb for their sake.

Wow, great story. Thank you for sharing it. Posting anything on a public board makes me nervous. I feel like I'm walking into a quiet room and making a loud announcement. :)

I've also seen that darkness that is darker than the rest of the darkness in the room. It is scary, but it lets me know what I'm dealing with.

When I first dealt with evil spirits, I also sanctified my house. I used oil on the tops of all my windows and doorways. A few years later when we went to paint the inside of our house, my dh couldn't figure out what all this weird stuff was on the tops of all the trim. It took awhile for me to remember the oil. :lol:

I've never had anything like that happen to me personally. But I've got a girlfriend who is very level headed and serious to an extent that I'd call it retentive, and she had something "demonic" happen to her. I don't want to tell it because it wouldn't be right telling her business in public. But it was very "supernatural" and coming from anyone but her I would have poo-pooed it, but she WOULD NOT make something like that up and I can't help but believe her. She felt herself being attacked spiritually and began to pray fervently and knew she was battling something.

As frightening and scary as these demonic attacks are, the power of the Holy Spirit is so much stronger!

I believe that such things are not necessarily JUST physical in origin (though they could be). Just because you can see something on a scan doesn't mean it doesn't have a spiritual origin (or emotional, etc.). My dr. believes (and I do, as well) that the body is generally just an honest of barometer of what is going on with you or around you. And if an unseen spiritual world exists, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities in terms of explanations for what's going on with us or in our world.

I haven't read all the responses you have received, don't feel up to it this morning. But, I do want to share that I have seen Lucifer up close face to face "in person". I have literally seen a physical manifestation of his person. He is THE great deceiver and was very beautiful, so beautiful that I thought he was the Lord. I am and was a Christian at that time. Christians can be deceived. Fortunately, the Lord God opened my eyes after 7 days but he continued to torment my family for four months. In my case, I know why he was doing that and I know what the Lord God was trying to accomplish in my life by allowing it.

In my opinion, it is very, very important not to get caught up in any kind of spiritual "fighting back" like so many books about spiritual warfare proclaim and teach. We should never engage the enemy nor should we reprove Satan. I think that Christians who do that are very foolish and truly do not believe the reality of what they are up against. It is very important that a Christian avoid any type of spiritual warfare technics. That only engages the demonic and leads to greater oppression and darkness. The only thing that is going to help you is throwing yourself upon the mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ and trusting Him to deliver you.

Praying for you. If the situation gets worse and you need a friend, please feel free to PM me and I would love to be that for you. Satanic oppression and deception is very real but the Lord God alone can and will deliver His own. Don't stop believing that.

Edited by Donna T.

I would like to have you all think about this for a minute. We don't have to use the Bible although it is full of supported scriptures! Has anyone considered the idea that maybe all of the things we think are demons, devils, serpents (you get the point) might be our own thoughts? What made Adam and Eve first sin? It started with a thought! What made Cain kill Abel? It started with a thought! Why did David commit adultery with Bathsheba? It started with a thought! Our thoughts can make us think and do the most horrific things. Fortunately we don't always act on our thoughts but think about it if we did! No wonder the Lord went to the cross. WE sent him there! And it all started with a thought!

In my opinion, it is very, very important not to get caught up in any kind of spiritual "fighting back" like so many books about spiritual warfare proclaim and teach. We should never engage the enemy nor should we reprove Satan. I think that Christians who do that are very foolish and truly do not believe the reality of what they are up against. It is very important that a Christian avoid any type of spiritual warfare technics. That only engages the demonic and leads to greater oppression and darkness. The only thing that is going to help you is throwing yourself upon the mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ and trusting Him to deliver you.

:iagree: From very real experiences. I have known people that have provoked demons/Satan by calling them names and taunting them and the outcome was very bad. They have been around a lot longer than us and know a lot more than us. Most of the spiritual warfare techniques I have seen draw attention away from God and torward demons. A few like annointing door jambs with oil and pleading the blood of Jesus over your house are fine, imo. Pray, pray, pray. Jesus is light and light casts out all darkness; call upon God, invite him in, and all will be gone!

I would like to have you all think about this for a minute. We don't have to use the Bible although it is full of supported scriptures! Has anyone considered the idea that maybe all of the things we think are demons, devils, serpents (you get the point) might be our own thoughts? What made Adam and Eve first sin? It started with a thought! What made Cain kill Abel? It started with a thought! Why did David commit adultery with Bathsheba? It started with a thought! Our thoughts can make us think and do the most horrific things. Fortunately we don't always act on our thoughts but think about it if we did! No wonder the Lord went to the cross. WE sent him there! And it all started with a thought!

This is something I think about a lot. We had a friend who was married to a woman with some serious problems. She was a habitual liar, adulterer, manipulator, etc. He stayed with her a very long time because he was certain she was possessed by demons when she was behaving in these ways. He refused to accept that she had any responsiblity for her actions. Do I believe we can be led into temptation? Certainly! Satan himself tried to tempt Jesus. But Jesus was in control of the response to it. He was responsible for his response to Satan. I believe that we can be harried and tormented by demons, but I also believe we have been prepared to resist those torments with the strength of Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Also, do demons attack us where they know we are weak to begin with? If I am prone to, or sensitive to certain temptations it only makes sense that if Satan was trying to cause me to stumble, he'd put those things in my path. Being aware of our own weaknesses in certain areas will make us more aware of the danger inherent in certain circumstances. When those situations are placed in front of us, we can depend on Jesus to get us through - he has promised he will provide a way out of all temptations.

:iagree: From very real experiences. I have known people that have provoked demons/Satan by calling them names and taunting them and the outcome was very bad. They have been around a lot longer than us and know a lot more than us. Most of the spiritual warfare techniques I have seen draw attention away from God and torward demons. A few like annointing door jambs with oil and pleading the blood of Jesus over your house are fine, imo. Pray, pray, pray. Jesus is light and light casts out all darkness; call upon God, invite him in, and all will be gone!

I remember one sermon I heard as a teen. The preacher shut off the lights and then turned them back on again. She asked, is there any darkness hiding from the light? Any darkness that has managed to finagle a spot of safety? Did the darkness battle the light, once it was switched on? No. This is not translating very well into typing, you had to be there, I guess. Her point was, God is light and light does not struggle with darkness, once you've turned it on, it's on, the dark is banished. What you'd said reminded me of that... and now, I'm wondering why I felt like adding to this, but at the beginning, it all made since.

Eventually, I'll probably ETA whatever my original point (which I've now forgotten) was... oops :)

Jennifer, thank you so much for sharing your testimony. I believe that someone really needed to read that. Praise God for you. Isn't wonderful that God through the Holy Spirit gave you what you needed to handle that situation. What a wonderful testimony to new Christians out there who need to know that once they open there hearts to Jesus Christ and accept Him as their personal Lord and Saviour they are IMMEDIATELY one of HIS children and the Lord will take care of them!!

I just want to add that "spiritual warfare" is very real. I had an occurrence once when I was pregnant with my first child. I was in my bedroom and all of a sudden I felt an evil presence on the side of my bed. I couldn't see anything, however, I knew something was in my room. I was terrified. I could hardly speak. The only thing that would come out of my mouth was JESUS!. I pleaded the blood of Jesus over myself and baby and the evil presence left the room.

I think it is important as Christians to understand that Satan is real. No, we should not idolize or provoke him, however we need to be very aware of him. Remember, his desire is to "kill, steal, and destroy". We should be vigilant in praying over ourselves and loved ones as well as pleading the blood of Jesus over them/ourselves. I do this when I get into any vehicle, anytime I have a disturbing thought that doesn't line up with the Word of God and throughout my home. Remember, Satan was kicked out of heaven b/c he wanted to be like God (or better than God). And when he was kicked out, he took a third of the heavenly host with him. So "Lucifer" and his cohorts will do anything to tempt Christians to denounce God and worship him instead or to "kill, steal, or destroy" them.

and I must say TxMomof4- :iagree: with everything you said.

Blessings to all :).

Jennifer,

Your story brings back a memory of an experience I had several times while living at my parent's home. I was coming out of a dark place and returning to my faith. I felt something sitting on my chest and I couldn't move or talk. It was the most horrific feeling ever. My basic instinct was to focus on Jesus, and it went away. It happened about 4 times in the course of 2 years.

My parents sold that home two years later. The new owners (who belonged to the same gym as me) approached me to ask if our house was haunted. They described very strange happenings. We never had those things happen to us, but we all had an unsettled feeling in that home. Never in any other home. They sold the house after the obligatory 2 years for capital gains purposes. I still see them around town from time to time and they are very unfriendly! :001_huh:

Interesting thread. I do agree not to engage darkness, but to focus on The Lord and His goodness and His power and might. The war is between God and Satan, and we know who will win.

I have been following this thread closely. We've had numerous strange things go on in our home to include nightime presences. But also, we go so tired of something in particular that we finally decided to video ourselves sleeping. Sure enough, the "sounds" are on tape. So I'll have to agree to disagree on the thoughts in this particular case, although not to say that you don't have a point.

I do think our thoughts lead us to sin. That is very biblical. There are times when it is our own thoughts that we allow ourselves to dwell on and they become action, but there can also be outside influences, meaning demonic attacks. These are not from ourselves. If our battle is not against flesh and blood, I would assume that would include my own flesh and blood. The armor of God is to protect against the flaming arrows of the enemy, not my own thoughts. We do need to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, but I also think that we have a battle to fight against spiritual enemies.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind and supportive comments. It wasn't easy to open myself up in such a public way, but it is worth being out of my "comfort zone" to hear that it is helping someone. God bless you all! :grouphug: :)

When I first got saved in August 1989, God took me out of a VERY dark place. All of my life up to that point had been in utter darkness to be honest. Jesus came to my rescue in my darkest hour and I know that had He not, I would not be alive today. I can say that with 100% assurance. I got saved on a Sunday in a church after a supernatural close encounter with God. I had one of those "Paul on the road to Damascus type of experiences". I was filled with joy that I had never known in all of my life at the point of my accepting Christ and the heaviest burden was lifted off of me. It felt as if an elephant had been sitting on me all my life and had suddenly decided to get up and walk away. It was all so wonderful, except when I went to bed that night I felt the most terrifying evil presence in my room.

I felt as if something were sitting on my chest with it's face just inches from my face and snickering at me. It was pitch black in my room but I swear the darkness was even greater right in front of my face and it seemed almost as if it had a form of some kind. I could feel the weight/pressure of this thing on my chest and as if it were breathing in my face. It was the evilest presence I have ever felt and I was literally scared stiff. I didn't know what to do. I just closed my eyes and tried to pray, but I didn't know how to pray yet and I could feel as if this presence were literally mocking me. This same thing happened EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for that first week that I was a Christian.

The next Sunday after service I pulled the pastor aside and told him what was happening to me. He told me, "Just say 'Get behind me Satan' and it will go away." I'm sure he meant to be helpful, but his advice had absolutely no effect on this creature. When I realized that even the pastor couldn't help me I was even more afraid. The pastor had told me to start reading the Bible in the New Testament before reading the Old which I did. I was devouring God's word and had read the entire New Testament and had gotten as far as Exodus after that first week. I was praying for God to help me and He showed me something from His word. I know that it was all God because I am not clever enough to have pulled this out of this story on my own and certainly not after being a Christian for only 1 week.

I read Exodus 12:7 where God tells the Israelites to sprinkle the lamb's blood on the door posts and the Angel of Death would pass over that house. The Holy Spirit impressed upon me so strongly what to do and I just knew all at once what to do and say. I passed my hands over the window in my room and over the doors that led into it and I said, "I plead the blood of Jesus on this room. This is a Holy sanctuary to God and no evil is allowed in here." I said this while passing my hands over the openings.

That night I felt the same evil presence, but it wasn't on my chest anymore I felt it concentrated distinctly outside of my bedroom window. I heard the most horrible tapping and scratching at my window. I lived on the first floor. There was no tree or bush outside anywhere near my window. There was no wind blowing or anything that could account for that noise. That thing was out there and I could feel that it was furious. I was inside terrified, but I then realized that it was staying outside. It couldn't come in! What God had shown me had worked!

The next day while my mom was at work, I went through the rest of the house and sanctified it just as I had done to my bedroom. The thing came back a few more nights but again could only stay outside the window. Eventually it went away altogether and the house was full of peace. Things went along fine until we moved from that house to another city. I had forgotten by then all about those nights and I was excited to be going to college. After a busy day of unpacking and staying up very late, I finally went to bed in my new room. As soon as the lights were off and I was laying down I again felt that same presence right on my chest!! :eek: I was full of fear, but I also knew that God was with me. I told it, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to get out of this house!" I said this a few times and it went away. I was shaking all over and I immediately got up and passed my hands over the windows and doors and consecrated my room to the Lord by saying "I plead the blood of Jesus on this room. This is a Holy sanctuary to God and no evil is allowed in here.". I then snuck downstairs and did the same for all the other rooms and windows in the house except for my mother's where she was sleeping. (She wasn't a believer yet then and certainly wouldn't have been to keen on my waking her up to sanctify her room). As soon as she was gone the next day, I went into her room and sanctified her's as well.

That night when I went to bed I could feel the presence again outside my window, tapping and scratching. I was on the second floor, again with no tree or bush near the windows that could account for the noise. I got a bit cocky and told it, "you can knock but you can't come in." hehe Teenagers! It went away after that and I wasn't bothered again the entire time I lived there. When I got married and moved into my house where I live now, you better believe the first thing I did was consecrate my entire house and I have never been bothered by it again.

I am telling you all of this only for this reason. God Himself is the one who gave me the remedy and it has worked not only for me, but for other friends of mine who have gone through a similar experience one lady recently that I serve with at church did this after having a very similar experience to what you are describing with your husband. It worked for her as well and her husband (who is not a believer is even praying now and is willing to go to church with her).

Believe me when I tell you that these things are VERY real. I have had a few encounters with these things and was once even physically attacked. When Satan was cast out of Heaven other angels fell with him. I assure you, they are not swinging in hammocks and playing pool all day long. They are very busy at work, in these days more than ever I think. The Bible says in Ephesians 6:12 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. I think that speaks pretty clearly as to what we are dealing with. But we are more than conquerers through Christ Jesus our Lord and there is no weapon that is fashioned against us that can prosper. Isaiah 54:17.

I strongly encourage you to sanctify your house (with your entire family if possible). Trust in God to be your defense and remember that even the demons tremble at His name. I hope this helps you. God bless you sister. :grouphug:

Wishing you abundant blessings,

Jennifer

Thank you for sharing, but I gotta say, I just may have nightmares tonight! My husband is working nights now and I'm alone with the kids...I do get scared...this kinda freaks me out...no offense, really, it just does

Thank you for sharing, but I gotta say, I just may have nightmares tonight! My husband is working nights now and I'm alone with the kids...I do get scared...this kinda freaks me out...no offense, really, it just does

:) No, no offense taken. :) You want to hear something really cool? My 8 y.o. son, who is profoundly Autistic, and won't use words to communicate will sometimes just say things out of the blue. I'll tell you one that he said to me when he had to have a MRI brain scan and they had just drugged him and he was going out. His eyes were starting to roll into the back of his head as the medicine was beginning to work. (I was blubbering like a baby and holding his hand and looking into his face and stroking his hair so that he wouldn't be afraid) he focused right into my eyes and said clear as a bell, "God is bigger" and then went out to sleep.

Let me encourage you with that. Yes we face a formidable foe, but we never walk alone. God IS bigger and the battle is the Lord's. God bless you, honey. I will pray that God's peace that surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and your mind tonight. I wish you pleasant dreams. :grouphug:

Blessings,

Jennifer

Everyone~You cannot know how much your encouragement has blessed and strengthened me! After that nasty experience, I have seen things falling into place more clearly. I had not shared my 'dark stain on the wall' experience with my dh until after I wrote it here. He told me that he feels that I am a very spiritually sensitive, discerning woman, and he knows how much I love him, my family, and the Lord above all else. After he read all of your gracious responses, he began to share with me the innermost feelings he has had...very sensitive wounds from his job loss last December, that resulted in a heavy burden in his mind that he was no longer able to even be our family's provider. He has been tormented by these feelings of inadequacy, and he has battled with self confidence at his new job. Now this was all a complete and total shock to me to hear this. He is a very attractive man, he is (I think) brilliant at his job, and a dear friend to me since high school. That he was battling this financial loss (lost our retirement when he lost his job) made him feel like a real crum. So this was also a wakeup call to him, that the devil had been crushing him with these negative feelings and convincing him that he could no longer be an effective leader/provider for our family. That just broke my heart. We prayed, we are praying still. He seems to have had this mental stronghold removed, and today is standing tall like the confident, yet humble, man I have known all these years. Our 15dd also came to me, asking for my opinion (isn't that a blessing?!) about 2 movies she wanted to watch. She was unsure about the genre, and wanted me to research them and let her know if I thought they would do her harm. Oh my, how terrifying they were! 'The Others' was one of them, and 'The Ring' was the other. Both were highly recommended by some email 'Christian friend'. I think their underlying messages were that Christ is inneffective, and that in the end, evil will triumph and that our lives are without hope. Just terrifying. I believe that satan was indeed aiming directly at me, and my husband, and our daughter all at once. I am exhausted, but at peace. We are solid in our belief that the Lord is in control, and that evil cannot suffocate us and render us paralyzed in our daily walk. I have been waking early, early all week...3-4 am, and my mind has been filled with reminders to pray for you all here. So I have. May you all be blessed and encouraged as you have shared with everyone.

i saw your question as i sat down this morning...i do not have to read the whole thread, so i apologize if i am redundant or raise questions. feel free to pm me...

absolutely, at the risk of sounding crazy to the average person, demons show themselves...rather, i would say that they are "unveiled" to us. i have encountered them often in dreams, primarily, but i saw one as clear as day in waking time, and it identified itself...strange but not scary because i know i am protected. i can also become aware of different spirits at work, as the holy spirit reveals, but not "see" them.

when i began to show signs of having the gift of discernment, (which i think i've always had but have in the past couple of years needed to exercise it faithfully,) things started happening that i didn't really like...like the above situation. i talked about it with a trusted friend, and she said, "rather than be bothered by this, thank god that he is showing you so that you can properly pray. we can get freaked out or scared by the enemy's attacks, or we can just take them as a matter of fact, realizing that there is a whole dimension that we are not typically privvy to, and if we are given a glimpse, it is for our benefit. the bible speaks clearly about the "spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" and the prophets of the old testament speak to the evidence of the heavenly armies, etc.

pray for confirmation, pray for protection--but never address or speak to the demons...Jesus is the mediator and he has already won the battle. speak to him concerning it. claim the protection of his blood and covering over you and your household, and sleep peacefully at night. the best defense is resting in him, not giving undue attention to the evil that is constantly present. are you aware of attack? noted...climb deeper into the cleft of the rock. ;)