Menu

What do you pay for piano lessons?

We've been notified by dd's teacher that lessons this fall will be $50/hr; the increase has been following a steady pattern of 6%/yr. The teacher offers classical repertoire, has an impressive resume, and dd has done well with her. Dd really enjoys piano and is advanced, but says she does not want a career in music (I realize this could change).

I'm curious about what others are paying per hour. I have to reach for the antacids when I think about next year's tuition -- am I just out of touch?

TIA.

Oh my goodness. Thank you for reminding me to count my blessings!

I pay $8/half-hour for weekly lessons for each of two children, and thinking of adding a 3rd next fall was making my pocketbook cringe.

I am in Utah. I know prices will vary considerable depending on your location.

Goodness, where do you live?? I thought we were in an expensive area (Los Angeles), and I pay roughly 30-35. Plus more for competition fees, piano books, etc. That is a pretty going rate around here for a competent teacher.

Our location is Midwest, mid-size city. We are a middle-class hs'ing family with dh as the sole breadwinner.

These replies are very helpful since I was having doubts justifying this fee. I'm really appreciating the input...

We pay $95.00 a month (for one child-we pay for 2 girls so it's actually double that for us) but this includes a subscription to Piano Explorer (very good magazine and is so good it covers music in general for us) and weekly lessons of 1 hour for older dd and 45min for younger. The time spent in the lesson is really based on what they can handle. She goes up to at least an hour for older students. She has been teaching all her life and is truly very professional. We love her!

Edited by Kfamily

Same here, $20 per 1/2 hour weekly session.

Our location is Midwest, mid-size city. We are a middle-class hs'ing family with dh as the sole breadwinner.

These replies are very helpful since I was having doubts justifying this fee. I'm really appreciating the input...

Our teacher went up last year from $15 per half hour to $17.50 per half hour. My son will be extending lessons to an hour this fall, so that will mean $35 per week, or $140 per month for me! But I love, love, love his teacher, and lots here charge $25 per half hour, so I'm thankful for her.

$60 per hour. The teacher is a concert pianist from Russia, who completed her degree at the prestigious conservatory in St. Petersburg. She is an excellent teacher, as well as performer (two different skill sets), and adjusts to the temperament of each student. We are grateful for the opportunity.

depends on where you live and the teacher's experience.

Around here I would expect $30/30 min lesson. I don't know anyone who takes hour long lessons, but the rate you list is cheaper compared the amount of time than here.

Where do you live? What are people paying near you? What is the teacher's training? What is the teacher's experience performance wise?

We pay $20 for a 45 minute small group lesson (ds and another child). We'll be switching to $25 for 30 minute private lessons in the fall. We also have a yearly supplies fee of $40 that covers all books.

$60 per hour. The teacher is a concert pianist from Russia, who completed her degree at the prestigious conservatory in St. Petersburg. She is an excellent teacher, as well as performer (two different skill sets), and adjusts to the temperament of each student. We are grateful for the opportunity.

We pay $55/lesson from a concert pianist from Russia who also got her degree from a prestigious conservatory in St. Petersburg.:) My daughter had her Piano Guild exam today and played seven pieces (Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Bach, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, Mozart). The judge awarded her a Superior Plus.

My daughter does not not want to make a career of music, but she does love it and our teacher is wonderful. We live in a suburb of Washington, D.C. so I think the rates are higher here as well.

We've been notified by dd's teacher that lessons this fall will be $50/hr; the increase has been following a steady pattern of 6%/yr. The teacher offers classical repertoire, has an impressive resume, and dd has done well with her. Dd really enjoys piano and is advanced, but says she does not want a career in music (I realize this could change).

I'm curious about what others are paying per hour. I have to reach for the antacids when I think about next year's tuition -- am I just out of touch?

TIA.

And I will never complain again. Our teacher was educated in piano performance in St Petersburg (Russia). She has lived in Russia, Germany, and France, and brings all of her life experiences into her teaching. Last night my dd played in the studio's "end of the year concert". It was called "Music From Around the Globe". There are many ethnicities and nationalities represented in the studio (yes, even in Laramie, WY), and each student was encouraged to choose meaningful music to prepare for this concert. Many of the students wore authentic folk costumes as they played. It was FABULOUS!!

When we lived in NE for a short time, we only payed $25/hour, and I watched as my daughter's love for piano withered.

We are so thankful to be back with a teacher who instills a love of music, art, and culture in my dd. It's worth it.

I currently have 2 taking music lessons. I'm going to have to get a second job to pay for all 4 to take lessons next year :tongue_smilie:

I do feel we are near the top of the scale (no pun intended:tongue_smilie:) for our region, but I absolutely consider the instructor's resume when viewing the fee schedule. Could be that we are just getting out of our league $$-wise.

I've read about and witnessed incredibly talented people who made it to the top of his/her field, working with little in the way of material opportunity, but being driven by passion and determination.

We're taking the summer off officially, and I guess we'll see what feels best in the fall. Thanks, all.

I pay a college student $10 / 45min lesson once per week. She is not a music major but is attending our local U on a music scholarship. She comes to my house. I do have to admit that she is my son's girlfriend, but she says this is what she would charge any student.

And I will never complain again. Our teacher was educated in piano performance in St Petersburg (Russia). She has lived in Russia, Germany, and France, and brings all of her life experiences into her teaching. Last night my dd played in the studio's "end of the year concert". It was called "Music From Around the Globe". There are many ethnicities and nationalities represented in the studio (yes, even in Laramie, WY), and each student was encouraged to choose meaningful music to prepare for this concert. Many of the students wore authentic folk costumes as they played. It was FABULOUS!!

When we lived in NE for a short time, we only payed $25/hour, and I watched as my daughter's love for piano withered.

We are so thankful to be back with a teacher who instills a love of music, art, and culture in my dd. It's worth it.

I currently have 2 taking music lessons. I'm going to have to get a second job to pay for all 4 to take lessons next year :tongue_smilie:

Sounds so good, Jackie. I guess I'm a bit troubled in our situation by the emphasis on getting our tuition paid on time, extra fees for various items and services, etc., etc., and the seeming lack of musical enthusiasm. There's something I can't quite put my finger on, but it doesn't seem to be an environment that nourishes the love of music.

I'm always embaressed to admit what we pay for piano lessons. We pay $140 per month for 40 minute lessons. I shopped around and really loved the enthusiasm and warmth, not to mention level of training and years of experience of the teacher we choose. My children love, love piano lessons and have never complained about practicing or going to lessons. She has really instilled a love for music in my dc. They actually drive my dh and I crazy sometimes because between the 3 of them, the piano is being played all.the.time!

TIA.

We pay $18 per lesson, which is 40 minutes of piano and theory. My oldest dd was with a group of 5 other girls for a half hour theory class, and all their lessons were either before or after the class; some of the girls had joint lessons.

We have a great teacher and realize what a generous rate she charges. She is a homeschool mom and most of her students are homeschooled. She knows what it's like to live on one income.

Two families we know outgrew this teacher, which is saying a lot. They went on to the Eastman School of Music (Community Music School) or Hochstein music school, where the rate is $40 per hour or more. All are VERY accomplished musicians; one is majoring in violin performance in college (her last violin teacher here was $75 per hour) and another is majoring in flute performance (she has paid $100 for a single one hour lesson with a professional flutist)

I think for an advanced piano student, you're going to have to pay the higher price.

My son's teacher is expensive, but I think she is worth her weight in gold. I have never met a more together teacher with a stronger background in teaching. She is top, top notch!

I will tell you that we live 10 minutes from New York City in an affluent county. Yes, we are out of our league financially; we are not affluent! :001_smile: But I will tell you that it looks like we topping out the list here for piano and for violin lesson costs - violin teacher is also symphony player.

I would NOT be spending this kind of money if we didn't suspect that something is up with the littlest guy with the music thing. We should have started him with piano earlier - he began 16 months ago. I was SURE that we couldn't afford it, but so many professionals that we respect urged us to get him lessons. So here we are. Investing lots of $$$ in music lessons. For us, it is worth every penny - even though there are a million and one things that I could be doing with those dollars. Right know we KNOW that we are supposed to be investing it in the little man - don't know why. :001_smile: We're just trying to be obedient to the Lord's strong, glaring GREEN light. :001_smile:

Isn't life just GRAND and wonderful! What a wild, wild ride!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

We pay what works out to ~$23/hour. It's $70 per month for 3-4 private lessons (45 minutes) and 1 group less (45 minutes). They learn musical history and appreciation, focusing on a new composer each month. They also do theory and composition. The last recital was really cute because all of the students learned a piece from Peter and the Wolf.

TIA.

That's within the ballpark around here.

It would depend on the area you live in, and the teachers'

experience/ education. I have three daughters who take piano from a wonderful lady with many students. It is $7 for 45 minutes, $10 for an hour. My husband actually trades construction/bobcat work. My other daughter takes violin from a recent college graduate with a masters degree in music, this costs us $20 for 30 minutes. We live in a rural community and I know it would be much more if we traveled to the city.

TIA.

We pay $10.00 per 1/2 hr lesson for piano and (with another teacher) $17.50 per 1/2 hr for flute. If we were taking piano with the second teacher, that would be the same.

I do feel we are near the top of the scale (no pun intended:tongue_smilie:) for our region, but I absolutely consider the instructor's resume when viewing the fee schedule. Could be that we are just getting out of our league $$-wise.

I've read about and witnessed incredibly talented people who made it to the top of his/her field, working with little in the way of material opportunity, but being driven by passion and determination.

We're taking the summer off officially, and I guess we'll see what feels best in the fall. Thanks, all.

Are you doing 1 hour lessons? Maybe you could cut back to 1/2 hour if it's the difference between continuing or not.

Lisa

Lisa, yes, we are doing the 1-hr lessons. I've thought about cutting back, but I am pretty sure the instructor will not go for it, as dd is 10 yrs old and playing adult classical repertoire.

With your dd being that talented, I'd encourage you to seriously consider continuing. However, at her age, I believe the teacher should also seriously consider allowing you to drop to every other week for a year or two. Doing so will hinder your dd's progress, but if it's the difference between that and stopping, it's a good choice.

FWIW, my older kiddos took lessons every other week for three years because it's all we could afford (and even that was a stretch) -- they were beginners. My two ds's only took for one and two years, respectively. Dd continued, nine years of lessons all together, and plays upper intermediate/early advanced. Her sister started lessons two years after dd started; second dd plays at the same level as her sister on seven years of lessons. I truly believe older dd would be farther ahead if we had done (been able to do) weekly lessons from the get go.

(Also... we had a different teacher in the beginning years. This woman taught her own dd's until they got beyond what she could sight read, then they switched to the same teacher my dd's ended up switching to as well. Their oldest dd is one who exceeded what that teacher could do as well, and went to an Eastman School of Music teacher.)

That said, all of us have to do the best we can and for many of us, the choices do come down how much it costs. We seldom take vacations, don't have cable tv, rarely buy brand new clothes, never go out to eat, and so on. So I can totally relate.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Chris. I appreciate that.

We ended up with this instructor because two other teachers said they were not able to give dd the level of expertise she needs, playing high school material as a then 9 y/o (she now plays post-college pieces as a 10 y/o). This fall she will give her first solo public performance. She is comfortable with performing, but does not live and breathe piano. Dh and I provide what we can, but there comes a limit to what we can afford. We also feel it's important she enjoy a normal childhood, and we view her piano ability as one of life's enrichments. If a college scholarship someday comes about, that would be fine (even tho dd says she does not want a music life); but that may not happen.

$36/45 minute lesson.

We choose to pay a little more for this teacher because:

1. She's awesome!

2. She's down the street and the kids can walk.

3. She takes the kids during regular school hours so it doesn't interfere with other activities we do.

4. The kids can walk.

5. My kids are doing very well with her.

6. The kids can walk there - did I mention that?