Menu

...its ALREADY here! I first noticed the kids in the high schools doing it about 4 years ago when my sister moved in with us and we went to an orientation at the school together. OH MY.

Now I LOVED the 80s! But fashion was not one of the things I care to see come back either haha.

I wonder why parachute pants haven't made a comeback? You would think all the emo kids would want a pair.

Hm...popped collars don't bother me. In fact, I adore (many) eighties fashions. On the whole, they sure seem a lot happier and more refined than many of the trends since.

I'm all for a revival...as long as Polo for Men and Giorgio remain in the time capsule. :ack2: (Oh, and jumpsuits.) :D

Too late on the jumpsuits (more's the pity)

http://womensfashion.suite101.com/article.cfm/emerging_womens_fashion_trends_for_spring_2009

This was from last September

With NY Fashion Week at an end, it's time to take a look at the emerging Spring 2009 trends from the runways of the Big Apple - from vest jackets to jumpsuits.

and

http://blog.istorez.com/2009/04/ss-2009-fashion-trends-jump-suits/

All I ask is......if you are going to wear stirrup pants please wear them only with boots. Stirrup pants with any other kind of shoe looks ridiculous.

No, no, no... Stirrups go with jellies and an oversized fluorescent Pac-Man sweatshirt. Add a plastic necklace, some Swatches, and a big pair of polka-dotted hoop earrings.

Umm, I hate to mention this, but, um, parachute pants *are* coming back. I was looking through a magazine at the hospital this week (yes, a magazine from 2009), and THERE.THEY.WERE. on models no less.

They never seem to have gone out of fashion in certain pockets of our city. They tend to hand out with mullets...

No, no, no... Stirrups go with jellies and an oversized fluorescent Pac-Man sweatshirt. Add a plastic necklace, some Swatches, and a big pair of polka-dotted hoop earrings.

No, you are supposed to wear jellies with leggings and an oversized blouse with a giant belt around your waist. Giant metallic blue hoop earrings and a gazillion rubber bracelets complete the look.

No, you are supposed to wear jellies with leggings and an oversized blouse with a giant belt around your waist. Giant metallic blue hoop earrings and a gazillion rubber bracelets complete the look.

:D You have no idea how much my dh would like that look, especially if finished off with blue and pink eye shadow and mall hair. :001_tt1:

I suspect as much as mine does. :) I can't believe I left out the big hair. Absolutely, blue and pink eyeshadow with super big hair. But did you sport all around big or what we used to call the smashed into the windshield look (really high in the front-not so much in the back)

I suspect as much as mine does. :) I can't believe I left out the big hair. Absolutely, blue and pink eyeshadow with super big hair. But did you sport all around big or what we used to call the smashed into the windshield look (really high in the front-not so much in the back)

I always called that the allergic salute! You know, when you wipe your nose with your hand all the way up your forehead? How else are they going to get their hair to stay there?

Don't forget the colored high-top Reeboks like the ones Whoopi wore in Jumping Jack Flash!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dreebok%2B80%2527s%26b%3D81%26ni%3D20%26ei%3Dutf-8%26vm%3Dr%26pstart%3D1%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501&w=500&h=373&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F3099%2F2776849156_ba922b069e.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fdianalindblom%2F2776849156%2F&size=178k&name=I+wouldn+t+wear+...&p=reebok+80%27s&oid=0a93e7f79a819a36&fr2=&fusr=dianalindblo...&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fdianalindblom%2F&no=85&tt=117&b=81&ni=20&sigr=11mpm4i0t&sigi=11gnp42gu&sigb=13b9npikq&sigh=11brdhed5

...aaaah, Flashdance...

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirst, when there's nothing, but a slooooooooow growing dream, that your feeeeeears seem to hiiiiiiiiiide deep insiiiiiiiiide your miiiiiiiind, all alooooooone I have criiiiiiied silent teeeeeeears full of ...

Yes, I do remember the lyrics. Scary.

I always called that the allergic salute! You know, when you wipe your nose with your hand all the way up your forehead? How else are they going to get their hair to stay there?

Oh, that's nasty.

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirst, when there's nothing, but a slooooooooow growing dream, that your feeeeeears seem to hiiiiiiiiiide deep insiiiiiiiiide your miiiiiiiind, all alooooooone I have criiiiiiied silent teeeeeeears full of ...

pride. In a world made of steel, made of stone

Well I hear the music, close my eyes, feel the rhythm

Wrap around, take a hold of my heart

This has been a fun walk down memory lane. I still remember my mother's face when she walked in on me cutting the collar out of all my new sweatshirts. Not pretty.

pride. In a world made of steel, made of stone

Well I hear the music, close my eyes, feel the rhythm

Wrap around, take a hold of my heart

This has been a fun walk down memory lane. I still remember my mother's face when she walked in on me cutting the collar out of all my new sweatshirts. Not pretty.

I can really have it all!!

(The true dream that epitomizes the era. Dallas and all!)

FOUR popped collars?!! That is CRAZY!

My personal preppy record in about 1983:

Pink Polo - popped collar

Green Izon - popped collar

White button-down broadcloth shirt over the top

Green Brooks Brothers Sweater tied over my shoulders

Corduroy a-line skirt

Shining-so-bright penny loafers (with shiny pennies placed)

No socks

I was a proud owner of the preppy handbook. If it wasn't in it, I didn't wear it. I even had one of those wooden-handled purses where you could change-out the fabric purse part.

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/05/16/awkward-exclusive-bon-family-blowout/

The link didn't work. But try this. Or just google the phrase "awkward family photos." Well worth the ten minutes. You'll have to drag yourself away.

My parents have a photo of my cousin's family that SO belongs on that website. We always referred to the picture as "The Adams Family." I wonder what became of that picture?! LOL!

All I ask is......if you are going to wear stirrup pants please wear them only with boots. Stirrup pants with any other kind of shoe looks ridiculous.

:001_huh:

You mean I looked ridiculous when I wore my stirrup pants and white pumps?

Who knew?

Barb :lol:

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/05/16/awkward-exclusive-bon-family-blowout/

The link didn't work. But try this. Or just google the phrase "awkward family photos." Well worth the ten minutes. You'll have to drag yourself away.

My parents have a photo of my cousin's family that SO belongs on that website. We always referred to the picture as "The Adams Family." I wonder what became of that picture?! LOL!

Really? Hmm... I was trying to link the one with the Bon Jovi family.

Ooohhh...I hope pegged pants come back. I loved, loved, loved pegged pants. I can do without the stirrups.

FWIW, one of my fav. pictures of my dh is him in a pink popped polo shirt with plaid shorts. It was from his preppy days before he met me. Awwww, he was so cute!

Leg warmers and scrunchy socks!

Well, this explains my children's favorite fashion accessories. They were all wearing leg warmers the other day and I just had to ask them where they got them. I was expecting the answer to be Goodwill but no they bought them brand new at Rue 21. One of them has taken to wearing leggings under everything, of course this child has a style all her own but I can definitely see some 80s influence.

If the 80s clothing is coming back in style does this mean that mom jeans will no longer be mom jeans? They'll just be jeans? Because I am still wearing the same jeans I wore in the 80s. But then I am also still wearing concert T-shirts from the 70s. Did the 90s have style? What about the 2000s? I have kinda been outta touch with the fashion world for awhile.

My personal preppy record in about 1983:

Pink Polo - popped collar

Green Izon - popped collar

White button-down broadcloth shirt over the top

Green Brooks Brothers Sweater tied over my shoulders

Corduroy a-line skirt

Shining-so-bright penny loafers (with shiny pennies placed)

No socks

I was a proud owner of the preppy handbook. If it wasn't in it, I didn't wear it. I even had one of those wooden-handled purses where you could change-out the fabric purse part.

Get out of my closet!!! :D

(Actually I know its not all mine 'cause I had a plaid wool skirt with that outfit and tights or white socks if there was a skirt, no socks was with docksiders and pants or shorts. Did your country club not have a dress code? :lol:)