What's with the ads?

#1 SeaConquest

SeaConquest

Advocatus Diaboli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

Please share what you are thinking about doing with your AL. I love getting ideas from others!

I am still working on a plan, but have some idea. I will be starting nursing school in August, so I am outsourcing a ton.

Sacha (4th): 

Math: AoPS Academy Pre-A

Literature: Online G3 Lightning Lit 7/8

Writing: Still deciding -- maybe WTMA Prep for Expository Writing, maybe CLRC (Language Arts I), maybe Schole (CAP Writing & Rhetoric series)

Grammar: MCT -- I think we may try the Literature level, depending on how far we get this year in Voyage

Science: Athena's Story of Science 

History: The World in Ancient Times series from Oxford Univ Press -- depending on the schedule, we may use CLRC

Latin: Currently using a mix of Latin Prep and Lingua Latina at home, but thinking of outsourcing this to CLRC as well

French: Galore Park French and Duolingo at home

Hebrew: Shalom Ivrit and Duolingo at home

He will also do art, guitar, Spanish, and likely some programming through his charter school. He is already doing gymnastics, but we may add some kind of martial arts for PE next year.

Ronen (Kinder):

We are also still deciding if we will add my younger DS to our homeschool/charter or send him to regular public school. He isn't as accelerated as older brother, and is a much more spirited child, so things are still up in the air.

Math: Singapore 1 with heavy use of gameschooling, Prodigy

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears Kinder

Science: Earth and Space with books and documentaries, Brain Pop

History: SOTW Ancients

Reading: Progressive Phonics and tons of read-alouds/Audible books

He will get art, music, Spanish, and some other enrichment through the charter, if we go that route. He would also likely do martial arts and gymnastics with older brother.

• Black-eyed Suzan and Lace like this

#2 Expat_Mama_Shelli

Expat_Mama_Shelli

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:14 PM

Next year will be DS' Primary 1 year by local standards (he'd be a K'er in the US).

Math
- Singapore 2B-3B + Intensive Practice
Language Arts
- Logic of English Foundations D
- MCT Island
History
- History Odyssey Ancients
Science
- Mr. Q Life Science*
Art
- Meet the Masters (possibly; may wait a year)
PhysEd
- Soccer & Gymnastics

* We are using the sequence, core information, & activities from Mr. Q, but the tone annoys me so I'm mining the information & leaving out the bad jokes. Since this will condense things a bit, I may also add more detail to some areas I feel are glossed over.

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli, 28 January 2018 - 07:16 PM.

• SeaConquest and Lace like this

#3 Lace

Lace

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

2018-2019 plans, version 1.0

DS#1 (will be 10yo)

Finish the rest of AoPS pre-A, Jacobs MHE, and Picciotto Algebra

Finish MCT Town (writing, poetry, and final 1/2 of practice)

Fix It level 3

IEW Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course B (to begin after finishing MCT, probably in  the spring)

Spelling You See level E

DS#3 (6yo)

Right Start level F and begin G?  Or maybe skip F and go straight to G?  Undecided.

Beast Academy 4

Finish Algebra Lab Gear book 1 (and begin book 2?)

Start MCT Town (grammar, vocab, and first 1/2 of practice only)

Fix It level 2

IEW Student Writing Intensive A... or maybe All Things Fun and Fascinating...

Spelling You See level D

DS#1 and DS#3 together

Finish Real Science Odyssey Biology 2

Begin RSO Astronomy 2

Build Your Library level 6 history, lit, readers, and poetry (and technically science, too, except not following the BYL schedule for RSO)

Swimming

Spanish??? We might actually have time next year.

They'll both also continue in the HS enrichment program, but I won't know what classes they'll be in until much closer to August.  DS#1 wants to take cooking, sewing, and continue in pottery.  DS#3 just wants all the Lego and science classes.

• SeaConquest likes this

#4 Jackie

Jackie

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2571 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

I’m leaning more and more unschooish over time. DD wanted so much information in front of her an de stuffed into her head when she was younger that she was pretty insistent on classes, but now she’s more ready to lead her own way. DD turns 8 in May, and next year will be third grade.

Math: continue on from however far we get in Beast Academy, currently in 4B. Continue to take “math breaks” between each chapter in which we grab out other varied math resources - Hands On Equations, Amazing Math Projects Book, old MK tests, math games, whatever else looks good.

Language Arts: Brave Writer’s Partnership Writing and Arrows. Maybe NaNoWriMo again. If we get bored with this, we’ll go back and finish up the last few lessons in Paragraph Town. Poetry teas, Vocabulary Cartoons, Editor in Chief all thrown in as we go along.

Foreign Language: DH is teaching French, using Galore Park as a spine. DD wants to continue on with Homeschool Spanish Academy once per week to keep up her Spanish skills.

That’s it for things I intend to control. There will be two more hours scheduled into each day for what we’re caling “choice time”. Those can be filled with anything of DD’s choosing that I agree has some educational benefit. Possibilities include Athena’s classes, music, working on projects for Destination Imagination, reading good books, programming, science experiments, games, Zometool building, stuff on DIY.org, Great Courses/Coursera courses, competition prep...

Other stuff we always do: Logic games, family read alouds, summer camps, field trips, museum passes

Edited by Jackie, 28 January 2018 - 11:38 PM.

• SeaConquest and Lace like this

#5 purpleowl

purpleowl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

2018-19 should largely be doing the next level of the things we're doing now. So, with the grades they'll be in come fall...

Both Girls

Science: Elemental Science - Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage

History: Story of the World 4

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric - Narrative II, Chreia & Proverb

Reading: Mom-selected books

DD#1 - 4th grade

Grammar: Continuing Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind (stretching year 1 over two years)

Math: Beast Academy 5

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 2

Logic: probably Fallacy Detective; also something code-related, probably continuing with Scratch and also learning Python

DD#2 - 1st grade

Grammar: First Language Lessons 4

Math: Beast Academy 4

Latin: Continuing/finishing Lively Latin Big Book 1

Logic: continuing wherever she is in the Logic Countdown series; continuing Code.org courses

DS - pre-K

He's doing A Beka K5 right now (phonics & math). So A Beka 1st grade is a good possibility at that point, but by no means a certainty. He is similar to DD#2 with the learning in spurts, but not in exactly the same way...anyway, it's still hard for me to predict where he'll be a few months down the road. 

Oh, and choir for all three kids, and piano for the girls. I may start DS on piano within the next year, once his reading skills are stronger.

Edited by purpleowl, 28 January 2018 - 10:23 PM.

• Lace likes this

#6 loesje22000

loesje22000

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:30 AM

Next year is a combination of 11th/12th grade I suppose, so dd will attend a lot of exams.
As we try to pass Geography and French (oral and written) this year, we will try anything but Latin, Math and Science next year.

As not all the exam topics are equally interesting we try to supplement with subjects like Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology. The last year home (2019-2020) I would like to do some WTM / Great Books style.
  • visitor and Lace like this

#7 La Condessa

La Condessa

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:39 AM

dd1 (4th)

Math: Singapore 5 and BA5.  If we finish those with more time, I think we'll do just Challenging Word Problems from Singapore 6.  I'm also looking forward to Beast Academy Online coming out, and incorporating that into our schooling.

English: Finish MCT Town, maybe start Voyage.  R&S Spelling 4/5.  She'll be done with our handwriting curriculum, so I think typing and/or calligraphy.

Logic: Logic Liftoff

Latin: Online class, don't know which option yet.

German?: She's started asking to learn.  I haven't decided what to do about this yet, as this has been dd2's "thing" this year, and I think it has been good for her to have an area she is proud of where she is not overshadowed by her siblings' accomplishments.  Of course, dd2 would be the knowledgeable one that had a year on dd1 in the subject--at least at first.  Hmm.

Music: Piano lessons.  She has also begun dabbling in violin; I'm not sure if this will grow to a full second instrument subject or not.

dd2 (2nd)

Math: Singapore 3B/4A and BA3.

English: AAR 3/4, AAS 3/4, slowly introduce MCT Island.  Calligraphy as she loves handwriting, and will have completed Pictures in Cursive.

German: Skype tutor.

Music: Violin, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds1 (1st)

Math: Singapore 2 and BA2/3

English: Finish off OPGtR if he hasn't yet.  R&S Spelling 2.  HWOT K/1.  Considering including him with MCT Island.

Music: Cello lessons, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds2 (pre-K)

Math: Singapore 1

English: Phonics, either OPG or AAR.  HWOT K/maybe 1.

Music: Violin with Mom.

All:

History: SOTW4

Science: Combination of Mystery Science, BFSU2, and possibly science fair again.

P.E.: Probably all 4 will do soccer in the Fall, and something else (probably T-ball for boys, ? for girls) in the Spring.

• Lace likes this

#8 rushhush08

rushhush08

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Double posting

Edited by rushhush08, 29 January 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#9 rushhush08

rushhush08

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

DS10
Maths - AoPS Intro to Algebra, Jacobs' Elementary Algebra, a variety of books for competitive maths, olympiad maths club.

Olympiad programming with a tutor,
English - lots of reading and an online course of creative writing.
Science - Physical science, Life science and Earth science. Not sure what to use yet. Maybe Holt Science and Technology.
+ lots of books.
I also have a special request for cosmology - not sure what's going to be but definately a great lot of different books and videos to suppliment. There is another request for the Great Courses.
Mindstorms with his brother.
Public speaking and debate club.
Foreing languages: Latin - Galore park.
French at French center. DS also wants to start learning Dutch, but we couldn't find a teacher so far. Russian with mummy.
Piano.

Swimming team, tennis, sailing and chess.

DS8
Maths - MEP4 + a variety of books for the competitive level.
English - Galore park + library + an online course of creative writing.
Science - Galore park + library and other books.
Art & pottery lessons.
Programming with Minecraft. Mindstorms with his brother.

Inventors club.
Piano.
Languages - Russian with mummy. German at German circle and, if there is more time, Japanese.
Swimming, gymnastics, sailing and chess.

Edited by rushhush08, 18 February 2018 - 05:18 AM.

• Lace likes this

#10 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4404 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

Not as advanced as some :) ,  and I think we're going to take next year as a holding year for language arts to build writing stamina:

DS 8yo/3rd grade

LA - still deciding between MBTP 8-10yo units or continuing with ELTL style of narrations/copywork/poetry with books we choose for a year.

Math - LOF Kidneys, Liver, Mineshaft, finish Right Start E and move to F.

Science - BFSU2 or Mystery Science (or both)

Latin.....still deciding.  He'll finish GSWL first semester, but I want him to look at some options in person before deciding on his next.  Right now he wants Latin's Not So Tough level 4.

French - continue with One Third Stories and....GSWF?  Again, still deciding.

Spanish - Duolingo

ASL - Lifeprint & weekly study group

History - SOTW 3, and building our own American history study

Art - Artistic Pursuits

Music - violin lessons

P.E. is outsourced in the form of a sport and regular weekly P.E.

• Lace likes this

#11 kiwik

kiwik

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5706 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Ds8 is advanced a bit in some areas but I has the potential to jump ahead now he is home schooling. We have to be efficient as I have work to do as well.

Maths - Pearson NZ 3A and BA3
Composition - SWIA
Latin - Latin's not so tough 2

History - SOTW3 and part of 4 (1600 to 19xx). Oxford English History, who was books.

Science - based on who was books plus gardening and anything that comes up locally.

Geography - in with History

Music - who was books with appropriate CDs, marimba lessons.

Arts - probably crafts - unsure. We have just done 2 pottery classes.

Other - term 1 Home School PE and swimming, basketball skills classes (hope to find him a team for term 2), coding class at library term 2. See what comes up later for terms 3 and 4

Our year starts next Wednesday.

Edited by kiwik, 29 January 2018 - 05:15 PM.

• Lace likes this

#12 Donna

Donna

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3473 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

Dd and I have not decided exactly what she'll be doing next school year.

She is going to take dual enrollment courses (which will depend on what is available online when it is time to register) and asked me to make her other courses (except foreign languages) run on a fall/spring semester schedule.

Here is a very general plan...

Fall:

Physics (at home): I have a couple Teaching Company courses and two texts to chose from

Dual Enrollment: possibly a Films Course (she'd love Films of Alfred Hitchcock) and a math

Spring:

Pre-Calculus (at home)

Dual Enrollment: possibly Western Civ and Nutrition course

All Year:

Irish Gaelic: (continue with tutor) 

French: Breaking the Barrier 3 (and hopefully a tutor for practice using the language)...another option is French 1 through DE.

Language Arts with tutor

• Lace likes this

#13 Sarah0000

Sarah0000

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

First grade DS:

Math: CWP 3 and BA 2/3 plus extras as usual

Writing: I think I'll try out W&R Fables

Grammar: continue MCT Island

Geography: Maps, Charts, and Graphs D

Spanish: might try Homeschool Spanish Academy and Duolingo again

Science: kits, Discover and Do, and living books

History: living books, probably focusing on medieval history

Technology: code.org and Typing Instructor for Kids

PE: hopefully swimming lessons, basketball, and maybe gymnastics again
  • Lace likes this

#14 Gil

Gil

Supreme PooBah of Learning at G.E.A.R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3265 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

We go Jan-Dec, so only through the end of 2018 and The Boys are currently enrolled but won't be returning to BM school in the fall. January is over so our year breaks down as follows.

Feb-May  (Supplementary Home schooling around the BM school schedule)

• Intensive Spanish -- mix n match resources, native recreational media, weekly presentations in Spanish language.
  • Mathematics -- secondary pass of the topics we studied last year, emphasis on building fluency and learning applications.
  • Computer/ Electronics -- hardware focus and lite coding

June-Dec. (Home schooling fully)

• Intensive Spanish -- unit studies in content areas (1 per month), weekly presentations in Spanish, deep-read 3 kids chapter books in Spanish.
  • mathematics -- third pass over the material we studied last year, fluency checks and greater emphasis on applications.
  • Computer/Electronics -- hardware focus and lite networking (or ramp up the coding, not sure yet).

• Lace likes this

#15 eternalsummer

eternalsummer

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5209 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

For DD12, who will be in 8th, I think we are doing:

Latin 2 with Lukeion

Geometry (still searching for a text after Dolciani's Pre-A and Alg, which she really likes)

Clover Creek Physics

WWS3 (slowish)

CLRC's Hunger Games and Dystopian Fiction course

or maaaaybe

CLRC's Great Books 1

Art History with an eye toward taking the AP test, but over the course of 2 years.

• Lace likes this

#16 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4776 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

I think I should probably wait until at least May to post a plan since I usually change them 165 times.

• Crimson Wife, Alte Veste Academy, Lace and 1 other like this

#17 rushhush08

rushhush08

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:27 PM

I think I should probably wait until at least May to post a plan since I usually change them 165 times.

I've already amended it a number of times   :laugh:

#18 Jackie

Jackie

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2571 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

I just edit as I go along!

#19 nwahomeschoolmom

nwahomeschoolmom

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

Let's see...DS is 5.5 but pretty much in 2nd grade for most subjects now.  Not sure where he will be this fall.

Some things I just ordered for this year: 

- Beginning Geography (Evan Moor)

- Getty Dubay Handwriting B (redo..only thing that has worked for my son for printing.)

- Critical Thinking Activities 

- Spelling Plus to replace All About Spelling 

- Graph Grapplers (Math Mosaics)

- MP Music Enrichments K - 2

Next year plan so far...probably will change

Math : Wrap up Rod & Staff 2 and start 3

Science: something by Real Science 4 Kids

Handwriting: New American Cursive

History: SOTW Ancients with Activity Book

Spelling: Spelling Plus

Writing: Classical Writing Primer after WWE 1 (finishing end of March) and before WWE 2, 6 Trait Writing 2

Grammar: ??

Spanish: Risas & Sonrisas, if we have time

Extras: 

Something for geography, MP Music Enrichment, something for logic puzzles, how to draw books, piano lessons, etc, MCP Plaid Phonics C at times 

Co-op elective classes on Wednesdays.

We don't "school year round" but we do "summer school."  This will probably be math/math supplement, spelling/MCP Plaid Phonics page, some copywork or handwriting page, and anything else my son asks to do.  We will take one full week off the beginning of June and 2nd week of August..between that is summer school.  Fun activities always push back or replace summer school!

Edited by nwahomeschoolmom, 18 February 2018 - 04:44 PM.

• Lace likes this

#20 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14455 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

I don’t really get to plan until after the fall college schedule comes out, but here’s what we’re thinking

Math-Statistics or Advanced Algebra and Trig (both required for math ed certification, and stat is required for her psych degree).
English-English Comp 2
Spanish 3 and 4
Science-Anatomy and Physiology or Environmental Science
History-US History or Cultural Anthropology
Psychology-classes to fulfill degree requirements and that look interesting (she will have finished all of the specific required classes after this semester and have the 15 more credits from a list of a dozen classes).
Cheer team
Piano, music theory
Herpetology research, education,and outreach
Teacher training workshops in Environmental science and education (probably Project Wild and Project WET)

Obviously, some of these will be fall and some Spring. We’ll Supplement with other content the other semester.

Summer-
Careers in Marine Biology camp, Herpetology conference, write Herpetology course materials, teacher training workshops (including Learning Without Tears and Project Learning Tree).
  • Lace likes this

#21 SeaConquest

SeaConquest

Advocatus Diaboli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

Please share what you are thinking about doing with your AL. I love getting ideas from others!

I am still working on a plan, but have some idea. I will be starting nursing school in August, so I am outsourcing a ton.

Sacha (4th): 

Math: AoPS Academy Pre-A

Literature: Online G3 Lightning Lit 7/8

Writing: Still deciding -- maybe WTMA Prep for Expository Writing, maybe CLRC (Language Arts I), maybe Schole (CAP Writing & Rhetoric series)

Grammar: MCT -- I think we may try the Literature level, depending on how far we get this year in Voyage

Science: Athena's Story of Science 

History: The World in Ancient Times series from Oxford Univ Press -- depending on the schedule, we may use CLRC

Latin: Currently using a mix of Latin Prep and Lingua Latina at home, but thinking of outsourcing this to CLRC as well

French: Galore Park French and Duolingo at home

Hebrew: Shalom Ivrit and Duolingo at home

He will also do art, guitar, Spanish, and likely some programming through his charter school. He is already doing gymnastics, but we may add some kind of martial arts for PE next year.

Just an update: we've decided to do Latin, Writing, and Ancient History through CLRC. It will be our first time with their classes, so we are jumping right in. We are secular homeschoolers, so I am hoping the classes are as secular as people have said on the High School board.

Sacha decided to attend 'Through the Microscope' at CTY camp this summer, so he wants to do Athena's Bio next year and just read the Hakim Story of Science series on his own.

• dmmetler, eternalsummer and Lace like this

#22 La Condessa

La Condessa

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

dd1 (4th)
Math: Singapore 5 and BA5. If we finish those with more time, I think we'll do just Challenging Word Problems from Singapore 6. I'm also looking forward to Beast Academy Online coming out, and incorporating that into our schooling.
English: Finish MCT Town, maybe start Voyage. R&S Spelling 4/5. She'll be done with our handwriting curriculum, so I think typing and/or calligraphy.
Logic: Logic Liftoff
Latin: Online class, don't know which option yet.
German?: She's started asking to learn. I haven't decided what to do about this yet, as this has been dd2's "thing" this year, and I think it has been good for her to have an area she is proud of where she is not overshadowed by her siblings' accomplishments. Of course, dd2 would be the knowledgeable one that had a year on dd1 in the subject--at least at first. Hmm.
Music: Piano lessons. She has also begun dabbling in violin; I'm not sure if this will grow to a full second instrument subject or not.

dd2 (2nd)
Math: Singapore 3B/4A and BA3.
English: AAR 3/4, AAS 3/4, slowly introduce MCT Island. Calligraphy as she loves handwriting, and will have completed Pictures in Cursive.
German: Skype tutor.
Music: Violin, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds1 (1st)
Math: Singapore 2 and BA2/3
English: Finish off OPGtR if he hasn't yet. R&S Spelling 2. HWOT K/1. Considering including him with MCT Island.
Music: Cello lessons, and continue self-directed piano with Hoffmann Academy.

ds2 (pre-K)
Math: Singapore 1
English: Phonics, either OPG or AAR. HWOT K/maybe 1.
Music: Violin with Mom.

All:
History: SOTW4
Science: Combination of Mystery Science, BFSU2, and possibly science fair again.
P.E.: Probably all 4 will do soccer in the Fall, and something else (probably T-ball for boys, ? for girls) in the Spring.

Ds2 has dictated: AAR is begun and he has started self-directed piano with Hoffmann
  • dmmetler likes this

#23 FarmingMomma

FarmingMomma

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

My son is 11 and will be in 6th grade next year.

Math: Saxon 8/7 w/ Pre-algebra

English: Rod and Staff 7, finish up WWS 1 and Start WWS 2

History: All American History Vols. 1 and 2, plus a short reading list

Science: Guest Hollow Chemistry in the Kitchen, The Joy of Chemistry, and probably some short online science classes from Outschool. Science is his passion and he will probably add plenty more to this list.  

Latin: Second Form Latin

Greek: ?? We might do Elementary Greek 2, or we might hold off on continuing Greek for now

French: Breaking the French Barrier 2

Piano and Guitar

4-H: lots of science and animal projects

Co-op: Hopefully a PE class and chess club

Edited by FarmingMomma, 17 February 2018 - 03:16 PM.

• dmmetler and Lace like this

#24 eternalsummer

eternalsummer

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5209 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

For DD12, who will be in 8th, I think we are doing:

Latin 2 with Lukeion

Geometry (still searching for a text after Dolciani's Pre-A and Alg, which she really likes)

Clover Creek Physics

WWS3 (slowish)

CLRC's Hunger Games and Dystopian Fiction course

or maaaaybe

CLRC's Great Books 1

Art History with an eye toward taking the AP test, but over the course of 2 years.

Well, I think we might do CLRC's Hunger Games and Dystopian Fiction (if they offer it again) AND their GB 1 course.  Alternatively, maybe the Hunger Games class and the Muse on the Loose/ReLoosed classes at Lukeion (they are also ancient history/myth/lit as far as I understand).  

Alternatively, DD would love a semi-performance-based Shakespeare class if I can find one that meets her requirements.  I know G3 has the comedies in fall but I am just not sure about G3; she took a couple of Athena's classes and they were hit-and-miss.  I wish we lived nearer a big city so she could find local classes - the live component to Shakespeare is what she's looking for, I think.

• dmmetler likes this

#25 Mommyof1

Mommyof1

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

DD5 is prek right now, technically.

Kindergarten homeschool will start this fall.

Math- either Horizon 1st or 2nd grade depending. Ray's Arithmetic, cds and videos about math facts. Living math books for fun.

Science- dvds, read alouds, experiments, nature walks and field trips. Follow wherever it takes us. Her favorite subject.

Continue on with phonics and get her more confident in her reading ability. Will be using for school the McGuffy readers. Will give her access to appropriate books for her level. Have her read, read and read. Talk to her about what she reads.

Audio books and reads alouds. The classics, State History and geography of the USA (already started this) and whatever else she wants to learn or read about.

Writing (her least favorite). She hates to trace and wants to free hand it but needs to trace to get more familiar with it. Her wants and ability arent aligned and she doesnt like that. She is young and fatigues easily. She writes, at this point, when she wants to. She wants to learn cursive so we will be doing that in kindergarten.

Lots of park days, open gym, swim lessons, free swim, storytime, playgroup, library, circus school and as much outside time, as weather permits.

Edited by Mommyof1, 17 February 2018 - 06:29 PM.

#26 Sarah0000

Sarah0000

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

On second thought I'll probably postpone formal writing another year for my first grade boy. I might make more of an effort with Bravewriter and NaNoWriMo instead.

#27 slackermom

slackermom

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

I have been waiting to post because things are still up in the air with school applications. We won't know for another month. So, I have reading up on the topics on the high school board, trying to sort of plan for homeschooling, and getting kind of excited about various options, while still really hoping dc gets into their first choice school. Ugh, so frustrating!

My dc13 will be in grade 9 next year, and has applied to several local public high schools, with entry by either audition (choice #1: performing arts high school) or by lottery (choice #2: an IB high school and choice #3: a high school with a graphic design certificate program). Homeschooling high school is also an option, if they don't get in to a school they want to attend, or if it just doesn't work for them. Choices #1 and #2 each take fewer than 25% of applicants, choice #3 is the "safety school" but we have agreed that they can opt out of that one at any point. 

If dc gets into a school, I will have to deal with the fact that my kid is ready and eager for Algebra 2, while the public school's typical sequence is to have students take that class in grade 11 (some students then take pre-Calc in the summer, to be ready for Calculus in grade 12). Most public school students in our city who are on an accelerated math track attend one of the exam schools (which my dc chose not to apply for), so the rest of the high schools don't really offer as much in the way of math. Also, dc's charter middle school has allowed the advanced math class (with just 9 kids) to move at an unusual pace, both "wide" and "deep," so I think a regular math class will be frustrating. I am thinking of proposing that dc be allowed to do math independently, possibly using AOPS. I would like to find something that allows math discussion with other students though, and am not sure how much the AOPS online classes involve that kind of interaction. My dc wants nothing to do with any math competition, so I am thinking that AOPS might not be the right crowd of kids. I will be back here asking lots of questions once we are further along in the process.

My dc really wants to finish high school in 3 years if we homeschool, which has me a bit panicked about being able to hit the ground running 6 months from now, since I would have to be very efficient to structure it all to fit in to 3 years. 

I have been learning as much as I can about local dual-enrollment options. We have a bunch of different options in our area, depending on which way I want to drive. If we homeschool, dc will start taking some DE online classes right away (will be 14 by then), and then switch over to on-campus classes later (maybe age 15-16, depending on the class and the campus vibe). 

We are going to start learn ASL soon, whatever the schooling situation. High school #3 offers ASL as one of the language options, and I found a couple of community colleges that have ASL classes.

#28 Kinspired

Kinspired

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

14yo is really wanting to do full time de, so she’s taking the chspe to be able to do so in the fall. We might still do AP LIt at home.

First grade plans for 5yo:
Considering Classical Conversations for the community because all her friends are going to public school.
Math: BA 3
Violin and piano lessons
Gymnastics
Everything else: lots of reading and exploring outside.

Edited by Kinspired, 19 February 2018 - 12:30 PM.

• Lace likes this

#29 Starrinytes

Starrinytes

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:13 AM

Our tentative plans for dd6 (will be 7 late Sept)..who knows what will change. We will just start whenever we finish whatever we are doing now..still need to decide for sure on LA..

MathBeast Academy + Singapore (possibly just challenging word problems, we shall see- lots of math integration with literature & rabbit trails as well)

Language ArtsMCT OR Guest Hollow's Language Arts with big sister + Cursive and TONS of reading
HistoryPre-History + Darwin/Evolution Unit Studies from BYL & then followed with- SOTW 1: Ancients with big sister
Classical StudiesMP D'Aulaires' Greek Myths with big sister
ScienceDr Dave's Science (RFWP) + tons of rabbit trails- she is my science girl

SpanishSong School Spanish OR GSWS + Outschool classes or Immersion classes. She's doing a 2 week Spanish Immersion camp this summer. She did last summer as well and she really enjoys it.
Nature StudiesExploring Nature With Children

PEHiking, Swimming, Kayaking, Biking, Skiing (in winter, obviously) etc. 

ExtrasArtist & Composer Studies, Coding, Minecraft, Logic, Weekly Co-op, KWOT, Prodigy Math, possibly Piano or Ukulele Lessons, and just spending as much time in nature as possible.

• Lace likes this

#30 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4776 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:17 AM

I just edit as I go along!

With three kids this approach does not serve me well and may present as insane to those who don’t know our story.

#31 Lace

Lace

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:25 PM

With three kids this approach does not serve me well and may present as insane to those who don’t know our story.

I really enjoyed your evolving plans on last year's thread!