Menu

Naming a homeschool...serious or not?

Well, I use a serious one, because by middle to high svhool age, the kids were involved in outside activities like science fair projects that they had to list a school name for AND the names then appeared in the programs or printed on the awards, in the newspaper, or were listed online in conjunction with their own name-

Like Joey Xxx at Xxx name homeschool won first place in xxx, or whatever.

An obnoxious one would look, well, obnoxious & be tied to their personal name in Internet searches forever.

We didn't use our family last name though. We used a location. Like Lakeside Homeschool, or Lakeside Academy, for example.

• Like 4

Or go with an Acronym that on papers filed officially represents something perfectly normal or slightly clever but in your own home also means something outrageously funny...

Years ago my husband and his friend had to each form a company. Just for tax purposes, long story of why. Dh named his company, "FRED". It stood for, "Fucking Ridiculous Electronic Devices". His friend, who was a french black man and a fan of the smurfs named his company "GNAP". In one of the smurf comics they often yell, "GNAP". The joke was that GNAP in French is an acronym for, "Big Nigger in Charge".

• Like 2

You could go with a name that ties to an inside joke for your family that won't end up reflecting badly on the kids or you when they are older....

That's why we're Bolivar Academy. Everything (and I do mean everything) in Venezuela is either named after Simon Bolivar or has his face plastered on it. It's the most generic name imaginable. In Texas, though, it sounds completely normal and snark free.

• Like 1

We file the private school affidavit which requires a name. We can change that yearly so I just put a generic one using my city's name as part of it.

For awards, it has just been listed as California Homeschool (state homeschool) in the program book for those my kids had participated in so it hasn't been an issue.

My mom named her homeschool after the man that originally settled the immediate area in which they live. There are a few streets and a college building named after him, but I'm not sure many locals know that it has much significance i.e. its not like Patrick Henry or Robert E Lee or Martin Luther King Jr. or something. Something you might consider. I thought it was fitting. 

You could go with a name that ties to an inside joke for your family that won't end up reflecting badly on the kids or you when they are older....

"St. Hedwig's School"

We're Catholic... and we're huge, huge, huge HP fans :) 

• Like 3

Plum Brook Boys' School.  I tried to be serious.  Plum is local geography.  Brook was the best thing we could come up with to fill out the title.  I have three sons, so I decided to capitalize on that.  School seemed the most straight-forward word.  Academy didn't have the right feel.  Coming up with a school name was the trickiest part of filing the notice of intent. 

Ours is not ridiculous. We were Strawberry School for many years, and Tumbleweed School now. Pretty generic for where we live.

Our name appears on almost nothing. We could be whatever we want with no impact.

Yes, when the kids were little, it was never needed here. Since high school they've needed it a lot.

Science fair projects, in particular, always need name of school & name of sponsoring teacher & their school, we've found. My oldest did the science fair circuit big time this year. Lots of instances of his name & school name in the paper & on fair or college websites.

We also have to put a school name on transcripts getting sent to colleges.

When we were filing ur private school affadavit the first year we used our last name, but then I read something on HSLDA that said you shouldn't because then it "looked" like a homeschool and you may possibly become subject to scrutiny sometime if someone is looking to ... you know.... whatever people like to do who want to make trouble for homeschoolers. At this point in time I'm not worried about scrutiny, but times can change quickly and as a homeschooler I prefer to fly under the radar as much as possible. Our name is Liberty Christian School.

Edited by KrissiK

We're filing our letter of intent with the school board and have to think of a name. Was anyone else tempted to use a funny/sarcastic one? "Lastname Academy" or anything similarly serious doesn't really fit our personality.

Our lower school has a funny name and our upper school has a more serious one.

Ours has been Seeking Squirrels Academy since oldest was 4. Maybe we'll do something else approaching high school, IDK.

If anyone cares where the name came from: The name is partially inspired by the dogs in UP. They yell "squirrel" when they notice one and it became a running joke with DH and I to describe any distraction. Since we are a house full of ADD, this happens often. I wanted in homeschooling to be able to follow rabbit trails and find those interesting things that may "distract" us from our set plan. So we welcome the 'squirrel' moments and we try to seek out the things that interest us and allow our attention to focus there for a time. We seek squirrels :) 

I had always used the name of our part of the city + "academy" whenever we needed to order or sign up for something that required a school name.  When it came time to put it on a diploma and transcript, though, my dc thought it was ridiculous to name our homeschool, as if we were trying to hide it.  We compromised on "Name Academy."  I doubt the dc will ever use it for anything.  The colleges they applied to had online applications that asked specifically if the student had been homeschooled, so they didn't even give the opportunity to list a name.  On job applications, they have just put down "homeschooled."  So far, it's not been a problem.