Menu

International weight comparisons

Laura Corin

According to that I am below average (which is correct) and 85% of women around the world, in my age range, have a higher BMI. I'm most like women from Ethiopia. For some reason I find that very funny.

I got Ethiopia too. I thought it was funny because I do not think of myself as too skinny at all. Weird.

Well that was depressing. Take a mom who is struggling to lose the baby weight and group her in with 15 year olds :/

Yeah, it did the same thing to me. Sorry, but a grown woman who has had children shouldn't be compared to a fifteen year old girl, lol. I turn thirty in August, so I just bumped myself up a year. ;)

How can it not be a factor? BMI is a measurement of the amount of body fat a person carries. The more extra weight a person carries the more likely that person will have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and heart disease.

Actually, it is not an accurate measure of body fat. It is a ratio of height to weight. Although I am below average for both US and the world, I have a higher body fat percentage than other people I know who weigh more than me (and have a higher BMI than I do.) I have a very small frame and don't build big muscles. I have a friend who is my height, weighs more than me (and has a higher BMI) but has a body fat percentage over 10 points lower. In his heyday, Michael Jordan was considered "obese" by his BMI. He had a ridiculously small body fat percentage. That's not even talking about football players (like running backs, not the chubby linemen.)

I know that some people don't set much store by BMI, but I thought that this worldwide weight comparison was interesting. Enter your figures plus your country in the 'calculate your BMI' box. You will get a chart showing the average BMIs worldwide of people your age and sex, and they will also will tell you the nationality's weight that you most closely parallel.

Laura

I almost fell over. Apparently I neglected to select pounds instead of kilograms and weighed more than anyone, anywhere! Ack!

I fixed it. Whew.

This is interesting. I do wonder, though, how accurate it is.

I think that it's easy to forget that we are comparing ourselves with the average of a particular country. I look around the UK and I'm not sure that comparing myself with the average is necessarily a healthy thing to do.

Laura

I'm right there with you-and I've even lost weight recently. :glare: I decided to look at my goal weight and aim for DR Congo instead of "bigger than Tonga" and how many millions of tons the world would gain if everyone looked like me (yeah, that was depressing).

I am apparently the fattest person in the entire world, other than my own country. Literally. Wow, do I laugh or cry? :bored:

With cupcakes involved I might have to add my 18 BMI to the group.

I like chocolate cupcakes and make an awesome ganache that I use instead of frosting because ganache is much better and more fun to say. Mmmmm. I think it is Ethiopian cupcake day today. Nepal, here we come. But I do agree with Laura. I don't think that comparing myself to average is the best way to judge my weight. I could use some firming before summer gets here. My sweaters are more kind than my swimsuit. Maybe a nice walk while cupcakes bake.

I like chocolate cupcakes and make an awesome ganache that I use instead of frosting because ganache is much better and more fun to say. Mmmmm. I think it is Ethiopian cupcake day today.

You make the chocolate cupcakes and I'll make chocolate chip cookies. Served with hot chocolate and whip cream

I am below average for the US by 79% but above average for the World by 53%.

I am most like someone from Comoros, a place that I have never heard of.

If I lost the 12 pounds I am wanting to (not that the number is important) I would be below average in both categories and most like someone in Chad.

Interesting site. :)